TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smoothest Coaster You've Ridden?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GateKeeper and Wild Eagle feel like they're trying to flap their wings which results in a very bouncy ride.

I haven't been on wild eagle and I didn't find gatekeeper that bouncy, still

nina_likes_this.gif

I've been waiting for someone to start a thread like this.

I'm always surprised on this forum when coasters I think are smooth as glass in every seat are referred to as rough. I think at one point or another I've seen people complain about roughness on pretty much every coaster. I know it's not always a simple difference of opinion though as some coasters can definitely give a different ride based on body type / height and many other factors.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone ever complaining about the two American dive coasters (Griffon and Sheikra). I would think those are definitely some of the smoothest coasters out there.

I don't want to call a realatively new coaster the smoothest coaster of all time because I would expect most new coasters to be smooth. Because of this I'm going to name some slightly older coasters that have proven to stay smooth over a decent period of time.

Personally I always felt that B&M inverts maintained their smoothness over time better than any other modern steel coaster. Rides like Batman (especially at Great Adventure), Afterburn and Montu pull off amazingly intense maneuvers and show no signs of aging at all. Despite their snappy transitions and high G forces they're as smooth today as they were when they first opened (in some cases 20 years ago). Compare that to floorless coasters and B&M megacoasters and there's a big difference. Those rides are smooth too but they can absolutely develop a rattle over time. That rattle doesn't bother me (except on Nitro's train C) but I wouldn't name those coasters in a thread called "smoothest coaster you've ever ridden".

Besides inverts, the other steel coasters that come to mind are Schwarzkopf loopers. Rides like Scorpion and Montezooma's Revenge are incredibly smooth despite their age.

As far as wood coasters go they can change a lot from month to month let alone year to year. I'm tempted to say something like El Toro but it has gotten a bit rougher over the years. Before anyone jumps on me the ride is still pretty smooth, especially in non wheel seats but because it's at a Six Flags park I could easily see the ride deteriorating over time as most of their large wood coasters have (I hope I'm wrong though). I won't mention RMC woodies as they're way too new to judge.

To simplify... if you're asking me for the smoothest wood coasters right now I'd probably list things like Outlaw Run, El Toro and White Lightning at Fun Spot. If you're asking me for wood coasters that have always been smooth and will probably remain smooth for decades I'll go with rides like Phoenix, the Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland (assuming the park doesn't close) and as much as I bash them... the SFNE Thunderbolt which the park has for some strange reason decided to take great care of. Luckily they let the rest of the park go to sh*t to help subsidize that.

If you're asking me for wood coasters that have always been smooth and will probably remain smooth for decades I'll go with rides like Phoenix, the Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland (assuming the park doesn't close) and as much as I bash them... the SFNE Thunderbolt which the park has for some strange reason decided to take great care of. Luckily they let the rest of the park go to sh*t to help subsidize that.

I agree completely with these, especially the last one. If the Cyclone had feelings, it must have felt distressed since the younger child is usually the spoiled one I also want to add the Yankee Cannonball and Great Escape Comet here along with Wooden Warrior.

For steel coasters, most B&Ms are glass smooth except their stand-up coasters and the Bizarro and Scream floorless coasters. Manta and Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld San Diego were both perfectly smooth as well along with the newer launched Premier coasters like Superman and Full Throttle.

If you're asking me for wood coasters that have always been smooth and will probably remain smooth for decades I'll go with rides like Phoenix, the Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland (assuming the park doesn't close) and as much as I bash them... the SFNE Thunderbolt which the park has for some strange reason decided to take great care of. Luckily they let the rest of the park go to sh*t to help subsidize that.

I agree completely with these, especially the last one. If the Cyclone had feelings, it must have felt distressed since the younger child is usually the spoiled one I also want to add the Yankee Cannonball and Great Escape Comet here along with Wooden Warrior.

For steel coasters, most B&Ms are glass smooth except their stand-up coasters and the Bizarro and Scream floorless coasters. Manta and Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld San Diego were both perfectly smooth as well along with the newer launched Premier coasters like Superman and YOLOcoaster.

Since when is Bizarro rough? When I visited Great Adventure last year, I found it to be noticeably smoother than Batman at SFNE.

I've been on Bizarro in two separate visits and both times there was quite a bit of rattling during the second half. It was rough for a B&M but still smoother than most inverting steel coasters. I'm just noting it wasn't glass smooth.

In the west - YOLO. midwest - X-Flight. east - Dominator, Skyrush.

I don't get the votes for Millennium Force. I felt this high frequency rattle/ chatter from front, middle and back. Like Ka, like C-train Nitro this year, just not as bad. My Dragster, Maverick, I305 rides were far smoother among the Intamins than MF. And if you can get your mind past the restraints and intensity and absolute awesomeness on Skyrush, one must also remember it is fantastically glassy!

My vote would be Leviathan.

It has this udderly smooth feeling, even for a B&M. It just glides without any rattle or rough patches (unlike many other B&M speed coasters or other types).

I have only been on just over 200 coasters, but Leviathan was top for smoothness... Surprising given it was 40-50*F that day as well.

Talon would also probably be a top one from what I remember (its been a few years) or Great Bear.

I rode it this year and it was great, you might hit the restraint once during the cobra roll and into the mid course but it's not painful... it's actually kind of fun. I'll never understand why people complain about that coaster, it's awesome.

I rode it this year and it was great, you might hit the restraint once during the cobra roll and into the mid course but it's not painful... it's actually kind of fun. I'll never understand why people complain about that coaster, it's awesome.

I agree, you might hang a little against the restraint at that one time. But other than that it is a pretty smooth coaster, and is in my top 10. Also it seems that it has gotten a little quicker with age.

^I haven't been on Alpengeist but I feel sometimes people mix bad/not perfect traditions with roughness. For example, on raptor at CP, if you're not counting on it, you might hit the restraint during the cobra roll and turn into the brakes because those transitions are a bit jerky but it's still (at least when I rode it) a very smooth ride.

• 3 weeks later...