TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moving to Florida

pdcon

hello, I know you guys just recently made the move from California to Florida and thought you guys would be the perfect people to ask.

Me and my wife live in Northern California and are really considering the move central Florida. we vacation in Florida all of the time and we both did the college program for Disney in 2009, but that does not really tell you much about Florida.

so i guess what I am looking for is a few answers? How if living over there? is the cost of living better? i would just like to know what ever information you guys can offer to maybe help make our mind up. thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello There! I live in Orlando for two+ years now, if you have any questions. Here is a great site for getting honest advice about Orlando, just use the search function. And here's my opinions on living here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/orlando

Orlando Positives:

-Warm or hot for 10 months of the year

-Close to Beaches

-Lakes, water, river, springs EVERYWHERE.

-Unbeatable Local Theme Park Quality

-No Income Tax

-Always, ALWAYS events going on. In every category and all the time. Endless entertainment. Fringe Festival, Broadway, Fireworks, Movies, Music, Bars...

-A team or three in Every Sports league within easy driving distance

-Flying is cheap

-Rent/housing cost is the absolute biggest positive difference compared to California.

Mixed Things about Orlando:

-No one is from here. Bizzare culture clashes, bizzare crazy people and crime happening in places, every type of food is available, Politics are extremely complicated, Every culture is represented in some small way somewhere.

-This also means a lack of distinct culture. Don't expect much "hometown pride" like in some places. And lots of tacky touristy suburban stuff. Very few neighborhoods in Orlando seem to date more than 30 years old.

-Tolerance amongst locals is generally very high, but can sometimes, like with the politics, be extremely complicated.

-Food Prices and quality are such a mixed bag. "Local Joints" are a different animal here than in most cities, mostly because Orlando doesn't have distinct food items it's known for.

-It's Flat. Really really flat. I personally miss Elevation changes.

Negatives about Orlando:

-Humidity is pretty unbearable. Expect to sweat profusely all the time doing anything outdoors.

-Driving is super spread out in the city and extends the distance on any trip. Orlando is legitimately an hour+ wide by highways. Traffic is not the worst but is certainly not fun. Toll roads are literally the only way to get to some places. And also, people are TERRIBLE drivers here. Lost Tourists+Internationals+Sizable Elderly population are contributing factors.

-Isolated from the rest of the country. Driving distances can be challenging.

-There is NO Walking and CRAP public transport.

-A large portion of the population is minimum wage.

^I don't think you can live and survive on a minimum wage job anywhere but it certainly is cheaper here than in California. The only thing that is more money is our renters insurance. (Well, and the cost of all of our annual passes!)

hello, I know you guys just recently made the move from California to Florida and thought you guys would be the perfect people to ask.

Me and my wife live in Northern California and are really considering the move central Florida. we vacation in Florida all of the time and we both did the college program for Disney in 2009, but that does not really tell you much about Florida.

so i guess what I am looking for is a few answers? How if living over there? is the cost of living better? i would just like to know what ever information you guys can offer to maybe help make our mind up. thanks

I guess I would ask you some questions before being able to answer, most important "What kind of job are you looking for?"

As said above, a LOT of the population is minimum wage, and as Elissa said, I don't think you can survive anywhere off that, but if you and your wife both have professional careers that you are looking to transplant to Orlando, you'd probably do just fine. I know a lot of "minimum wage" people who live in Orlando, and they do well, but they are also sharing a house or apartment with at least 2-3 other people. And most of them do make a bit more than minimum wage (It's $7.93 here and I think it would be pretty easy to get a $10 - $12/hr job if you have some experience.)

I'll comment on a few of these items as well...

Orlando Positives:

-Warm or hot for 10 months of the year

-Close to Beaches

-Lakes, water, river, springs EVERYWHERE.

-Unbeatable Local Theme Park Quality

-No Income Tax

-Always, ALWAYS events going on. In every category and all the time. Endless entertainment. Fringe Festival, Broadway, Fireworks, Movies, Music, Bars...

-A team or three in Every Sports league within easy driving distance

-Flying is cheap

-Rent/housing cost is the absolute biggest positive difference compared to California.

I'd say it's warm or hot for 10 months out of the year, but really only, IMO, "unbearable" for 3 of those. And as long as you're not working an outdoor job, it's not THAT big of a deal.

There does always seem to be something going on. That's a huge plus. And the entertainment isn't annoying to get to. There was a ton of stuff that used to go on in L.A. also, but I'd never go because it was a pain in the ass to deal with LA. Here, not so much.

Rent/Housing is VERY cheap compared to L.A. but it's not super cheap for decent areas. If you don't care about good schools for kids or anything, then you have a much wider options for VERY cheap housing, and if you don't mind living 20 or so minutes away from the main Orlando "bubble", then you'll find some crazy cheap stuff, although, personally, I don't recommend it. I think anywhere outside the 10-mile radius "Orlando Bubble" and you lose a lot of what the attraction for living here is.

And yes, the local theme parks are unbeatable!

Mixed Things about Orlando:

-No one is from here. Bizzare culture clashes, bizzare crazy people and crime happening in places, every type of food is available, Politics are extremely complicated, Every culture is represented in some small way somewhere.

-This also means a lack of distinct culture. Don't expect much "hometown pride" like in some places. And lots of tacky touristy suburban stuff. Very few neighborhoods in Orlando seem to date more than 30 years old.

-Tolerance amongst locals is generally very high, but can sometimes, like with the politics, be extremely complicated.

-Food Prices and quality are such a mixed bag. "Local Joints" are a different animal here than in most cities, mostly because Orlando doesn't have distinct food items it's known for.

-It's Flat. Really really flat. I personally miss Elevation changes.

It's true that no one is from Orlando, but I think that's 100% fine, because the alternative is stereotypical redneck, gun toting, Republican southerners which are about on par with what you hear about in the news. And that's one of the reasons why we like the Orlando area to live. You miss a lot of that typical Floridian stuff here in Orlando. Think of the I-4 corridor from Disney to Universal to be like the "Las Vegas Strip" and everything is centralized around that area, and the farther away you get from that area, the more, well, "different" it is. But you said you were a CP for Disney, so you probably know this already.

I actually don't find food prices and restaurants that expensive compared to living in Southern California. Places closer to touristy areas are more expensive, local establishments, which are sometimes equally as nice, are not. We actually have some FANTASTIC food options. Sometimes on par with some of the variety you see in Las Vegas.

A lot of the tacky suburban stuff is being demolished and replaced by more slightly higher-end entertainment complexes. This is a very nice welcome change. It's raising the prices of some things, but it's also raising the quality. So I'm OK with it.

Negatives about Orlando:

-Humidity is pretty unbearable. Expect to sweat profusely all the time doing anything outdoors.

-Driving is super spread out in the city and extends the distance on any trip. Orlando is legitimately an hour+ wide by highways. Traffic is not the worst but is certainly not fun. Toll roads are literally the only way to get to some places. And also, people are TERRIBLE drivers here. Lost Tourists+Internationals+Sizable Elderly population are contributing factors.

-Isolated from the rest of the country. Driving distances can be challenging.

-There is NO Walking and CRAP public transport.

-A large portion of the population is minimum wage.

Humidity is only really unbearable Mid-June through early September. Unless you're not used to humidity AT ALL, then it might be tough to get used to. But I'd say the November through March months are totally fine, June - September is pretty rough, and the other months are a mixed bag.

I disagree that driving is super spread out. Maybe it's just because I'm coming from LA where NOTHING was close at all. We travel to a crazy amount of different places that are all probably less than 10 miles away, most of them probably 5. If you live in the theme park district and that's what you're interested in, then 90% of your drives will be very short. And traffic??? What??? Sure, there is *some* traffic here. But compared to 2+ hour delays on the 405 in LA, I'll take the 10-15 minutes of traffic you MIGHT hit on I-4 in a heartbeat.

Drivers aren't great, I agree with that, but they are light years better than Los Angeles. People actually use turn signals here, and for the most part, at least the locals, are courteous. Drivers get worse in the high tourist season with people from out of town that don't know where they are going. But you also learn what areas to avoid, and in the theme park areas, there are many alternate routes that locals take.

Overall, we have found living here enjoyable. There are issues, like anywhere else, that you'll have to deal with and things you might not like as much as the next person, but just do some more research, especially when it comes to employment and salaries before you make the move.

Hope that helps.

Edited by robbalvey

^Thanks for the excellent second look.

Robb is right about Orlando driving vs California driving, it's one of the only two reasons I could never live in that state (rent). Orlando is really only too bad compared to other southern cities, though there is a lot of sprawl here.

I guess I don't really see the "sprawl" that you are talking about. You just must go and do a lot more things outside of the Orlando bubble than we do. Seriously, 95% of what we do in Orlando (shopping, eating, entertainment, banking, doctors, business related things, schools, family stuff, etc, etc...) all falls within this area that's probably about 10 miles at the MOST in either direction:

105853123_ScreenShot2014-08-10at9_39_09.thumb.png.37655c56fd8ec72b2108bb30f0f47807.png

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for the reply, well i will be able to transfer jobs where i am at, and unfortunately I am a mechanic, I guess I will have to deal with the heat, my wife is a vet tech, so she will be trying to get into a vet clinic.

Our plan is to sell our house here in the bay area, and use the money to outright purchase a home or get a home with a low monthly payment, we live in a not so good area, not the worst but could be better. We bought when the market was really low and we will be getting a pretty good profit from what we bought for, but unfortunately what we will be getting back would only really be enough for really get us what we already have, if that made any since.

we have no kids, and are really just looking to move because we are kind of sitting idle and just looking for a change while we are still pretty young, we have been looking in like the dr. phillips, winter garden, davenport, tangelo park areas, on top of others. but we would like to stay in that 10mile bubble. I am not really concerned about area, anything is better than where i live now. i have literally been born and raised in the "GHETTO"..lol.

like you said i don't thing any state has as bad traffic problems that CA does. i have to sometime commute I80 into San Francisco, its horrible.

I guess i will be doing more information into car insurance and what types on insurance is required and what not.

^ I would stick to places like Dr. Phillips, Williamsburg, Little Lake Bryan, etc. Davenport starts getting out into "Polk County" territory and it's "ok" if you're looking for something cheap, but it's kind of outside the bubble. Winter Garden, Ocoee, etc are also VERY nice, but again, starts to get *slightly* outside that bubble, but not far enough to where it's annoying.

I wouldn't go as far as places like Apopka or Clermont or anything...

Thanks for the input, we plan on taking a trip here in a few months to Florida, strictly to look around in neighborhoods to see what would best suit us. Williamsburg actually looks like a nice area. my job I would be able to transfer to is located in Ocoee, so it would be nice to get a place around or near there. that's not extremely outside the bubble is it? its still reasonable driving to all the major attractions and I wont fill like a Florida hillbilly?

This is what I consider the "Orlando Bubble" to be. There are some nice areas and not-so-nice areas, but anywhere in here you are probably 5-20 minutes away from EVERYTHING in Orlando.

Like Elissa said, Ocoee is very nice, same with Winter Park, but then you start to get a bit farther away from the action. It really all depends on how far away from everything you don't mind being. For example, if someone tells me "Hey do you want to meet at Downtown Disney?" I can be there in 10-12 minutes. Epcot 15-18 minutes. Universal City Walk, 5-7 minutes.

But if you're "ok" with being 25 - 40 minutes away from all that stuff, then those areas mentioned are more than fine.

366718681_ScreenShot2014-08-14at18_48_32.thumb.png.1eb1c9b8b81ba04588ddd98b992818fa.png

Edited by robbalvey

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has been very helpful. I am looking into moving to Florida October/November this year. In my searches I found the website 407apartments.com which has been pretty useful. They don't include all apartments in each town but I'm assuming they are mostly reputable ones in the 407 area code.

For me I am looking for a place between Universal and Disney because I know I'll be visiting Disney frequently and working near Universal.

I may look into renting a room from someone, then looking for an apartment a few months later. Are there any apartment complexes in Orlando I should completely avoid due to the area/location? I see a lot in Dr. Phillips and Millenia.

Thanks. One last question, is there an unofficial Orlando/Disney/Universal area website for renting rooms? Other than craigslist. It be nice to find someone with similar interests and lifestyles.

Not that in aware of, sorry!

Even the higher end apartments over by millenia have some interesting characters about them. I have a friend whose apartment complex is gated, has a full gym/Raqcuetball complex, 5 pools, and a restaurant right off Americana avenue, but still there were impacts from the area around it/Section 8 and walking outside the complex would be a midday only type of thing.

And if you ever want to go out of this mysterious Orlando bubble, aka the tourism areas, every mile north and closer to I4 is good. Dr. Phillips is kind of a sweet spot, and Sand Lake road is a lifeblood of restaurants and shopping. I live literally right behind universal now, and downtown Orlando is about 20-25 minutes. I used to live directly behind MK, and everything other than Disney itself was a massive pain to get to.

• 5 months later...

Finally moving to Orlando! I'm transferring to an onsite hotel at Universal and I start in two weeks.

I found a nice place in the area of Lake Hiawasee, Geyer Lake, and Old Winter Garden Road. Is that considered Metrowest? It's only about 7 miles from UO. Hopefully that is a decent location. The homeowner seems very good at least.

Any last minute tips would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...