TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When brakes bite hard

I don't think some of these being mentioned are all that bad. You want to see what bad brakes look like, check out the Wildcat at Frontier City. The train slams into a set of breaks so suddenly and unexpectedly that it's not uncommon to hear the whole train go "OUCH!" in unison. Kind of funny to watch actually...

To answer the original query, there's not much that can be done about it without specific action from the manufacturer. The train obviously must be brought under control in a very short amount of time, but the more gradual you are the more track length you have to eat up. There's always going to be a halting feeling, but I think B&M's handle it the best. I don't know what they do, but it feels like there are progressive stages of brakes on all the B&M's I've ridden, and that seems to help.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland. When the train is half empty you have to brace or the ride punches you in the stomach when it hits the final brakes. Also if you're lucky, your car stops on top of the brakes so it drops down a couple inches when the brakes release...

Most Wild Mouses are terribly hard when it's braking time. Hold on !

The ones that brake every now and then are okay, versus the ones that allow the train to run through before coming to a screeching halt at the end. But even then, my rib cage can only tolerate so much...

After my 6 laps on Manta SWSD yesterday I noticed that after the sun went down and with the cooler temps those trains were flying. The brakes before the second launch were damn near stopping the trains before sending them down the launch and caused an uncomfortable jolt after whipping into that straight.

The two Schwartzkopf coaster at Lagoon are pretty notorious for hard stops. Jet Star 2 is the worst. Their are even signs saying "stop ahead" and "prepare to stop." I remember a few years ago An injury happened because of the hard brakes, even though the real reason was because the lady had a neck injury or surgery 4 weeks prior. If you can push forward with your legs, you would be fine on them.

I have to say, Wildcat at Cedar Point was the most brutal for me. If the ride op has to demonstrate to you as you came careening into the station that you need to use ye ole straight arm to avoid bashing your head/teeth, it's probably going to be pretty abrupt.

^Oh, of course! The worst positioned brakes in the history of roller coasters!

I think they should only start after the entire train has left the "airtime zone" (the part of the track curved outwards) so that they wouldn't step in while part of the riders is still being ejected.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned YOLOcoaster yet. Though I haven't ridden it, I read some review about how painfully abrupt the final brake is.

It's abrupt for sure. Green Lantern was actually worse in my opinion, especially when coupled with the train's awkward position.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned YOLOcoaster yet. Though I haven't ridden it, I read some review about how painfully abrupt the final brake is.

I know for me at least, I was too busy loving the shockingly epic airtime you got over the last hill to notice the breaks so much!

Though at SF:MM Goliath of course has a pretty gnarly MCBR.

Bizarro at SF:NE has a very abrupt final break run, but the craziest I've experience was Superman at Darien Lake. It comes to a near stop on a dime finish!

When I was younger (around 10 years old) we rode a coaster on a boardwalk (I believe it was Ocean City, New Jersey, and I think it was this coaster or one like it rcdb.com/402.htm Anyway, we hit the breaks so hard and quick I ended up biting into my tongue and bit a tiny piece off the side, I still have a strange little "bump" area on my tongue from that incident. I was really upset, but not due to the pain/blood...but because my parents wouldn't let me ride it again. Many of my friends complain about the Mummy stop as well.