TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2] Frontier Forest - Spring 2005 Quick Update

Opening day of the 2000 season is quickly approaching as the busy offseason nears its end at Frontier Forest. The park update is in the pipeline, set to release soon.

Word around the street is that Pendulum, along with Dodgems, may have seen its last cycle in 1999 and may not return for the new season. Prepare as the back of the park gets an entirely new, refreshed feel for the Premier debut of the new millennium at Frontier Forest.

I've also heard murmurs of Bolliger & Mabillard. And Vekoma.

Stay tuned.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening day of the 2000 season is quickly approaching as the busy offseason nears its end at Frontier Forest. The park update is in the pipeline, set to release soon.

Word around the street is that Pendulum, along with Dodgems, may have seen its last cycle in 1999 and may not return for the new season. Prepare as the back of the park gets an entirely new, refreshed feel for the Premier debut of the new millennium at Frontier Forest.

I've also heard murmurs of Bolliger & Mabillard. And Vekoma.

Stay tuned.

I will make a psychic prediction.....My crystal ball shows either a B&M hyper or a Vekoma Flying Dutchman....maybe both...

Yeah, I'm going with Premiere Rides as well. Whatever it will be, I don't know. However, clues point towards a water-based attraction. Possibly their water coaster since both Journey to Atlantis and Poseidon opened around this time.

Frontier Forest has kicked off its 25th anniversary season with a splash. Into the new millennium, the 2000 season welcomes three all-new experiences, featuring two new roller coasters. The rumors became reality when BackFire, a Vekoma Boomerang roller coaster, dominated over the midway in the former location of Pendulum. Also new in 2000 is Renegade River, a Premier Rides "Liquid Coaster," the first in the eastern United States and only the second in the world. The final new attraction this year is Adventure Raceway, an upcharge go-karts attraction located adjacent to the Adventure Theater.

Otherwise of note, Frontier Forest had filed a petition to surpass the 100 foot height restriction yet again, along with other clauses in the petition that have not yet been released. No word from the park for what or when this may be for, but it seems new management is pulling full steam ahead, with over $10 million invested in 2000 alone, aided by a 2% spike in attendance in 1999. Comments appreciated!

SCR601.jpg.91eadc434d9b8b3a5703d97515253724.jpg

Welcoming in the new millennium is Forest Flyer, still one the most popular attractions in the park for the last two decades

SCR602.jpg.b39735ca787a191a4346e76b2b521d83.jpg

NEW in 2000 is BackFire. Despite being a mass-produced "clone," this ride was hand selected to dominate the surrounding midway

SCR603.jpg.bb0426722bbdf09cb6117b22c269558c.jpg

BackFire features six inversions--three forwards, three backwards

SCR605.jpg.637facf0f883fd189455c7837e3acb12.jpg

Also new in 2000 is Renegade River. Riders escape the law through their 1,600 foot long adventure through the forest during the roller coaster section

SCR606.jpg.94e41991989a54f4e5f22edd5d714aed.jpg

...ending with a five story splashdown, comprising the water ride portion of the ride

SCR607.jpg.be83b544f21b4043b280377bd16c29f7.jpg

Riders float down the river back to the station on Frontier Forest's tenth roller coaster

SCR608.jpg.45fa7e260ec8252c03b40b533c1a9230.jpg

Adventure Raceway is an upcharge go-karts attraction

SCR609.jpg.d9b037e0e371aabe3a155191ff770a57.jpg

Nestled between the Adventure Theater and Forest Flyer, Adventure Raceway is over a quarter mile of excitement

SCR611.jpg.73cfc14a3ad4384ce903f62318473c66.jpg

After 11 years of operation, Coyote remains one of the most popular roller coasters in the park, despite only running two trains on most operating days.

...and we see some surveying nearby...

SCR612.jpg.9ee0d2d898473465426e78841f64a75f.jpg

The back of the park has been forever transformed with two new roller coaster experiences

SCR613.jpg.bd3baca95fc6a8343115cd97de73c3be.jpg

Park overview, May 2000

Was not expecting two coasters for one season.

I like the placement & colors of BackFire, you've managed to make a boomerang look interesting. Clever name too.

Adventure Raceway brings some new life to its section of the park. It could benefit from having some props. The back of the park now has two new lively rides to draw guests. Sky Ride should see a significant ridership boost this season.

Renegade River looks fun and thrilling, with a unique layout. It really stands out among the other coasters as far as ride experiences go. Nice choice. However, I think the ride could benefit tremendously by having a fully supported structure. Similar to what you did at the top of the 5-story splashdown.

Overall, I enjoyed this update. Frontier Forest keeps getting better and better.

Was not expecting two coasters for one season.

Frontier Forest seems to be ready for major investment for the long haul.

I like the placement & colors of BackFire, you've managed to make a boomerang look interesting. Clever name too.

Adventure Raceway brings some new life to its section of the park. It could benefit from having some props. The back of the park now has two new lively rides to draw guests. Sky Ride should see a significant ridership boost this season.

Thanks for the comment! Many regional theme parks were adding go-kart style upcharge attractions, most of these with no coherent theme or backstory. The same seems to be the case for Frontier Forest, although the name and build style does match the surrounding area.

Renegade River looks fun and thrilling, with a unique layout. It really stands out among the other coasters as far as ride experiences go. Nice choice. However, I think the ride could benefit tremendously by having a fully supported structure. Similar to what you did at the top of the 5-story splashdown.

The Premier Liquid coaster is one of the few in-game models that is most accurately supported with no additional supports. Renegade River would be the second of only three rides of its type--the other two being Buzz Saw Falls (1999; now defunct) and Vonkaputous (2001). The tower is the only section more accurately depicted with custom supports.

Overall, I enjoyed this update. Frontier Forest keeps getting better and better.

Thank you! The future seems bright at Frontier Forest. I assure you, big things to come. Stay tuned.

^Frontier Forest has nine roller coasters, all with great variety. What this park needs is more focus on the smaller things. Particularly, the old Antique Cars is sitting on a large lot of land. That area could easily fit some mid to large size flats that could possibly re-invent that section of the park. Maybe some new food options as well. Just being optimistic here.

P.S. I'm interested in making a map for this park. P.M. me if your interested.

I will agree that the variety is very good when it comes to this park, but I feel like a second modern steel coaster like a B&M floorless or a B&M, Intamin, or Morgan hyper co-existing with the classic steel coasters and wood coasters will really round it out and give Frontier Forest a ride that will really be THE main attraction. Kind of like how Steel Force is for Dorney and Wild Thing is for Valleyfair.

Other than that, I really love this park.

Operating seasons seem to come and go so quickly these days. We have reached the conclusion of the 2000 season--a season that will go on record as the best under new management, and one of the best since the 1980's. The three new attractions this year have proven a hit, despite occasional downtime on Renegade River. However, as only one of four drenching water rides, there is no shortage of opportunities for guests to cool off...

--Leaked from Frontiertown local governement--

July 22, 1999--Frontier Parks files for permits to exceed the 100 ft. 'soft' height restriction

--Permits granted, January 7, 2000--

May 13, 2000--Frontier Parks petitions the 200 ft. 'hard' height restriction, files to exceed 300 feet

--Application pending, July 30, 2000--

This is where things get interesting. Comments appreciated.

SCR622.jpg.47189ebfbedb442956ab468d86dc9e23.jpg

Those lucky enough to catch Renegade River when it is operating rave about the unique style of the water coaster, although ridership is lower than anticipated

SCR623.jpg.0000b1be19432d576af5d10118247971.jpg

BackFire, on the other hand, has operated consistently--and draws in quite a crowd

SCR624.jpg.beb2de60607d449bc9e50c2f47601785.jpg

Shown is the Log Flume with riders stuck on the first lift

SCR625.jpg.5a1da4b7a516f32acc04be24d5c855f9.jpg

Last year's new kiddie coaster has been a huge hit in the Frontier Explorers children's area

SCR626.jpg.5c5b1d58a2750130d40929fe25d0fb44.jpg

The new go karts have given this corner by Space Adventure Theater much more foot traffic

SCR627.jpg.ed275962a499db36222877c1b5dea1dd.jpg

Whatever Frontier Parks have up their sleeves seems to be some sort of big secret

SCR628.jpg.7d005a5fc793056b0a14c9373a71c804.jpg

Those that know are tight lipped. Those that don't are numerous, to say the least.

Frontier Forest now has two flume-like rides & a water coaster. I wonder if this spells more water-based attractions. Anyways, as for next year I suspect a Giant Inverted Boomerang & possibly a hyper coaster after that.

You have a very nice park, and I would love to see more of the fine new additions you are doing to your park. However, I don't entirely understand the point of all of this backstory, it is quite pointless to speculate about a make believe park that was made on RCT.

B&M hyper?!

I have heard those are some pretty spectacular roller coasters. B&M is also a company Frontier Forest has a solid working relationship with--however I cannot release any information just yet.

Frontier Forest now has two flume-like rides & a water coaster. I wonder if this spells more water-based attractions. Anyways, as for next year I suspect a Giant Inverted Boomerang & possibly a hyper coaster after that.

An interesting observation. The park certainly does have more water-based attractions than most regional theme parks. As for 2001... BackFire has been quite the success

I could definitely see a boat ride or another ride interacting with the lake near the mine train. It's too big not to have something else. I think some fountains would make it look better if nothing else is added.

I'll definitely take note of that. Keep in mind--I use these comments as suggestions as well as feedback, and I'm always looking for new ideas to implement at some point in the future.

You have a very nice park, and I would love to see more of the fine new additions you are doing to your park. However, I don't entirely understand the point of all of this backstory, it is quite pointless to speculate about a make believe park that was made on RCT.

Look around the gaming thread--that's what 90% of these parks are. If I wanted to create some ultra-modern, enthusiast "dream" park, I would. But what's the fun of that? I would post it, read comments, and move on. With a timeline style park (which is most common on this forum), I can create a park that comes to life. It goes through phases, evolves, lives and dies--just like a real park. Remember--I'm an enthusiast first, RCT park-maker second.

For example--what would be the point of building the old Shuttle Loop back in 1980 if I just wanted to make a single frame, modern day, perfect park? Frontier Forest is not perfect and never will be, just as any park isn't in real life. It's all in good fun, my friend.

Comments always appreciated. This is where the fun begins.

New Year's Day, 2001.

Site clearing continued through October with the removal of over 500 mature trees. By the end of the month, the first footers were poured, reaching nearly five feet underground.

On October 29th, 2000, local government mandated construction to stop, pending approval of construction permits.

On November 2, 2000, the proposal was denied. Construction was put to a standstill until proper permits are acquired.

The attached images illustrate the proposed site on January 1, 2001, with no visible progress since October.

Courtesy of JonnyRTC3, a map of Frontier Forest from the 2000 season is attached for your enjoyment.

SCR629.jpg.9e2a40c5416bf2f7d02cfedc1a27221f.jpg

Site clearing and initial footers

SCR630.jpg.9845351a8b95c62812b936c7f0e7e812.jpg

Main construction area

19499802634_34cc7ebe19_b.thumb.jpg.413ffa89058f6e1a63eb97eb61b9df4d.jpg

2000 season park map

• 3 weeks later...

After construction on the apparent 2001 project came to a standstill, park management was put in a tough position. How can you market a park without having the "latest and greatest" in the industry? This was something the park was not prepared for, though an effort was made.

As planned, a new sit-down restaurant facility was built adjacent to BackFire. Additionally, a new film, "Storm Chasers 4D," replaced the old "The Final Frontier" playing in the Space Adventure Theater. Take a look around the park in the Spring of 2001 to see what else is happening around the park.

As always, comments/criticism appreciated.

SCR631.jpg.851d184c0b893a4b0f1cd48c1fdb12ee.jpg

Some white paint on Forest Flyer has faded, or perhaps chipped away

SCR632.jpg.c77a7b7dc182a5af9f39daa1053c1c50.jpg

The new Gateway Grille--an appreciated additional set of restrooms along with traditional food options

SCR633.jpg.6ba32ed1ed775a19254e01c8a3cfe54d.jpg

"Storm Chasers 4D" is now featured. The remaining theming from "The Final Frontier" was removed

SCR634.jpg.a4806989a0746686e6b42caf0e038dc5.jpg

Something of note, Tempest's queue was slightly modified, moving the entrance to the main midway

SCR635.jpg.40618de635178ccae8f2b5ee5e8ea117.jpg

Perhaps due to clearance issues or safety concerns, the restricted areas were merged and any impeding trees were removed

SCR636.jpg.caf37e2e146a2e51f02a8c10fcd949b5.jpg

If you can catch it operating, Renegade River is a very popular attraction, even in the rain. The same cannot be said for Delirium, whose cycle was modified to reduce stress.