TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2] Frontier Forest - Spring 2005 Quick Update

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the layout of the bobsled! In terms of actual RCT2 playing, it looks like you're also having troubles keeping coasters popular like me, but removing Coyote's 3rd train and saying it's for maintenance is a good idea. Anyways, the park looks great!

The 1992 season is coming to a close; I'll keep this short and get to the pictures.

No announcement has been made concerning next year, although it appears the Arcade has closed its doors for good and some grading has been done outside of the building. It is a fairly new structure, so I'd be surprised if this is it for the Arcade.

Some unfortunate news, it seems as though the park has taken an attendance hit for the 1992 season. The park projects to have hosted just under 1.2 million total guests after closing weekend, down 2% from last year.

It seems to me the park just doesn't measure up to its competitors. Frontier Forest has always been a family oriented park, but hasn't been as successful as in the past. With the park's nearest competitor, Kings Dominion (which will soon be known as Paramount's Kings Dominion), having the capability to invest much more heavily being owned by a larger company, some are concerned about Frontier Forest. Hopefully within the next few years a major investment can help grab some regional interest in the park, but as of now, family marketing just doesn't grab attention outside of the local market.

SCR477.jpg.c299e90538c43101e10818bc79f5d464.jpg

The "New for '92" attraction, Alpine Bobsleigh, is advertised at the front gate

SCR478.jpg.6ffc7069ccb385b30fc0273f18a916bc.jpg

This is my favorite element on the Forest Flyer- this tiny airtime hump really delivers

SCR479.jpg.8ae01e3b244fe625761b3301c81e76f5.jpg

The Forest Flyer is the most popular roller coaster at Frontier Forest, delivering around 1.4 million rides this year

SCR480.jpg.4f6ec03d8ed69ee1161f3a3ee4c1fb9c.jpg

The Enterprise, which opened way back in the 1977, is one of three rides that takes you upside down at the park. I hope it stays around awhile longer, I think it's a great ride

SCR482.jpg.2f3ea5ea1c195c2dfaebbd3dcca93f2f.jpg

Pendulum is one of the park's more popular flat rides as it appeals to a wide audience

SCR483.jpg.e2bea974bf719b8e1c443b3c76a112a7.jpg

The Looping Starship is another inverting flat ride. Frontier Forest has become known for its solid collection of flat rides

SCR484.jpg.91b6a049ecc5f453dea05880119a0fe8.jpg

Forest Falls is another of the most popular non-coaster rides at the park, delivering nearly 1,000 rides per hour

SCR485.jpg.05e01cab4356db8b6af1a29e60798193.jpg

One of the lesser known rides is the Haunted Mansion. Maintenance costs have piled up over the years to keep the building up to fire codes

SCR486.jpg.451734c037904b1ee8db802d01bfc7ee.jpg

Some guests have developed a liking to the Alpine Bobsleigh. Not as thrilling as some of the bigger coasters at the park, but nonetheless a good family coaster

SCR487.jpg.ec45624f52d336e87cddf093611fde34.jpg

The children's area features four rides designed just for kids. Although miniature, the park now features two Carousels and two Ferris Wheels

SCR488.jpg.e56b5851542144f137396c5e35853942.jpg

The car ride is a nice relaxing family ride, although it is very similar to the Antique Cars which have been at the park since the '70's

SCR489.jpg.8c827ff5f3abb45d930c3a609487f4d4.jpg

This is what the Arcade looked like at the end of the season. The Scrambler closed near the end of the season, I can only hope it returns for next year

SCR490.jpg.110bec8faa3e6663fdeea91240bef1e0.jpg

Corvus is the only looping roller coaster at Frontier Forest. I much prefer Kings Dominion's Anaconda for its unique location and much smoother ride. Corvus has become what they call a "head-banger"

Hmm... I think the stand up is coming next year ! I also predict that the arcade will be its station and the scrambler will be moved elsewhere in the park.

Definitely intriguing. Frontier Forest isn't known to install roller coasters back to back.

Anaconda?Smooth?Those words are not supposed to be together.Ever.

Hmm... But this is 1992. Unless you're suggesting the ride will get rougher in the future?

The 1993 season has arrived, along with one of the more unique attractions Frontier Forest has opened. This year, a brand new indoor theater, named Space Adventure Theater, opened in the former location of the Arcade.

Space themed films are on tap in the dual sided theater, built specifically for Frontier Forest by Iwerks entertainment. The first movie featured is cleverly titled "The Final Frontier."

The Arcade found a new home by the old and rather outdated Haunted Mansion.

Enjoy the pictures recapping the 1993 season below, and as always, comments appreciated.

SCR491.jpg.d7f8137baef889ec92397c0752523e69.jpg

Advertising for the "Newest Adventure in 1993" began by the front gate

SCR492.jpg.dd6b205b459f5127f4d8cbee1efc8472.jpg

I was a little surprised to see they decided to remove some trees for these likely temporary props, but they did increase interest in the ride

SCR493.jpg.6362939b8542953462934ba7aeab8de4.jpg

Finally, the newest attraction at Frontier Forest, the Space Adventure Theater. Lines were long today, but even with both sides operating, capacity is very low

SCR494.jpg.974060295da924ae8d8249251f0e3d23.jpg

The theme ties together with Looping Starship. It is one of the better themed attractions at the park

SCR495.jpg.2b28cb684fecb080c53193e106680f10.jpg

Taking a quick look around the park... It is odd how this corner is designed. Potential for expansion, I assume...

SCR496.jpg.641f9c900044082cb3c974b74b84a194.jpg

The old Arcade was rebuilt across from The Viking

SCR497.jpg.61853983fb16d1be9adc118ba0f32133.jpg

The backside of the structure is not nearly as appealing as the front

SCR498.jpg.4da9528bf5b552e737d6c75f42e874c5.jpg

It is like a 50 foot tall metal box in front of the Forest Flyer. I also worry guests will grow tired of the same film over time. I'm not sure this was the best choice management has made.

SCR499.jpg.ebda327940dbf5b8ebd5538513889471.jpg

Last year's attraction, the Alpine Bobsleigh, has been popular among families

SCR500.jpg.ee1e0ec84f18dfebdfae5a5adc8e8315.jpg

One of three trains descends the mid-course

SCR501.jpg.80d0379f9db571c74af059855e8c794e.jpg

Coyote has remained fairly secluded in the backwoods

SCR502.jpg.46cd1445f8a45dfb182a4329be09ede3.jpg

Later in the Summer, survey markings appeared in the vacant area by the Log Flume. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

SCR503.jpg.478b7a569c3f565c923007d59f37228c.jpg

Park overview, Summer 1993

This park deserves WAY more comments, one of the best rct2 parks I've seen.

The Space Invader Theater sound interesting. I for one, do not visit parks for the theaters, but you've somehow swayed me otherwise. Quite the accomplishment from a RCT park. The attraction does sound very intriguing, and is something new and unique for Frontier Forest. I also like how the old arcade was renovated into a new structure, as it took advantage of the current real-estate, as opposed to building it in some other corner of the park. I like how the Forest Arcade was added to a more sparse area of the park, to possibly increase foot traffic. It's the little, realistic choices like this that really add to the park's appeal, at least to me. As a RCT park creator myself, I can notice these little choices and really appreciate them as I know there is a lot of thought put behind every decision, such as this.

Alpine Bobsleigh was a rather "different' choice by management, but I can see that they want to stay in competition and not lose out to Kings Dominion. I like the trend on unique attractions this park seems to be going with, this could possibly be what the park needs to compete. I hope the kiddie area can see some expansion soon. Looking forward to what's next to come in 93.

This park deserves WAY more comments, one of the best rct2 parks I've seen.

Wow, that really means a lot. But trust me, there is still a LOT of work to be done on Frontier Forest.

The Space Invader Theater sound interesting. I for one, do not visit parks for the theaters, but you've somehow swayed me otherwise. Quite the accomplishment from a RCT park. The attraction does sound very intriguing, and is something new and unique for Frontier Forest.

Thank you! I think it is one of the more unique attractions at the park. Indoor attractions for all members of the family are something you don't come across too often, yet it seems management has shown us they do have the capability to pull off such an attraction.

I also like how the old arcade was renovated into a new structure, as it took advantage of the current real-estate, as opposed to building it in some other corner of the park. I like how the Forest Arcade was added to a more sparse area of the park, to possibly increase foot traffic. It's the little, realistic choices like this that really add to the park's appeal, at least to me. As a RCT park creator myself, I can notice these little choices and really appreciate them as I know there is a lot of thought put behind every decision, such as this.

This is exactly the essence of park planning and design. In game, the park is up to date with the current year. However, behind the scenes, I spend hours with the game paused, running through possibilities in my head as well as not saving due to trial and error. A lot goes on beyond the screenshots, and I'm glad you can appreciate that. The park layout is much more than a series of paths, filling in holes when I see the opportunity.

Alpine Bobsleigh was a rather "different' choice by management, but I can see that they want to stay in competition and not lose out to Kings Dominion. I like the trend on unique attractions this park seems to be going with, this could possibly be what the park needs to compete. I hope the kiddie area can see some expansion soon. Looking forward to what's next to come in 93.

Frontier Forest will always remain aligned with reality, in this as close as industry trends and manufacturer tendencies.

I think you guys will appreciate how the park evolves over the next two decades. As for the remainder of the 1993 season, I don't think there is enough new content for this season to make another update, so I will continue on in 1994.

*August 17th, 1993: *Frontier Forest has acquired permits for a 1994 construction project. Land to be cleared surrounding the survey markers adjacent to the Log Flume in the coming days, prompting the removal of at least 50 mature trees.*

I would love to see some elevation changes in this park. It would make it so much better... it's really flat right now.

In the last couple weeks I've finalized the plans for the next decade or so. The park's finances are looking good as of now (never come close to the $100k max loan I set) and the outlook is really coming together. With that, I can tell you there will be some surprises before long. Stay with me on this one- I didn't think I would use terrain in the past, but it is looking more and more likely.

The 1994 season is finally upon us at Frontier Forest! This year, Frontier Forest celebrates their twentieth season of operation. It has been quite the journey looking back to opening day in May of 1975. Frontier Forest started out as just a small collection of family attractions, but has since grown to more than two dozen rides and attractions. To celebrate this milestone, take a look below, and don't forget to comment.

SCR505.jpg.09ba451998dcd110571978495e5e1843.jpg

A bird's eye look at the Festival Stage, new in 1994 along with the bandstand and an expanded midway

SCR507.jpg.39748f2f14e733d3ae54d9962a552f03.jpg

The new bandstand, along with new picnic style pavilions available to all guests

SCR508.jpg.a4cd56c7d5e10ee40fe8ba9063eb35f8.jpg

As part of the 20th celebration, Forest Flyer was given a fresh coat of paint, back to its shining coat of white with bright red handrails (and some offseason re-tracking)

SCR510.jpg.7373590147269fabfabda7aa417a976f.jpg

The Sky Ride's support towers were given a fresh coat of white paint (from the previous red)

SCR512.jpg.2d427faf953c26a36c64e07b5f981dae.jpg

Corvus, celebrating 10 years of operation in 1994, was updated with an on-ride photo available for purchase at the ride exit

SCR513.jpg.d210f61712ffc1c6271600e1887d79a8.jpg

After two seasons, Alpine Bobsleigh has not been as popular

SCR514.jpg.9a1394983f71ac19bdd2619b49174301.jpg

The Log Flume's supports were given some off-season TLC, as well as a repaint to a lighter grey tone

SCR515.jpg.8e13021483e9e419373aea0949fb1c7d.jpg

The Space Adventure Theater returns in 1994

for the second season showing the film

SCR517.jpg.848e27697aca064d721c51cd4ee69019.jpg

Some were disappointed that management didn't spring for a new ride to celebrate the 20th year. The existing rides are only getting older and more outdated, while the competition is only improving its ride lineup

SCR519.jpg.5f9c25b3001f38706e604c7a5a9b7082.jpg

A look at the expanded main midway, featuring the Festival Stage. Live entertainment is always a plus for a family park

SCR518.jpg.9fbdbde5beebf91f292282eeab724802.jpg

An overall look at Corvus (why is the grass behind it browning?)

SCR520.jpg.b90fb6c06e2098513e3d553a31ad89e4.jpg

Attendance dropped to 1.1 million in 1993. Hopefully the park can bounce back soon enough.

SCR504.jpg.b36fd78123eae61287464ab1941a9596.jpg

Frontier Forest welcomes guests for their 20th celebration!

Looking solid, but I can't say I am a fan of Space Adventure at all. It looks so tacky and out of place, especially those planes on the building. Also, I'm afraid the park feels a bit choppy at this point. The park doesn't really "flow" if you get what I'm saying. Everything feels just plopped in there in this blocky layout. I know it's a bit late to fix that, but just felt like adding it in there.

That being said, your rides look nice as individual parts of a messy whole. The log flume looks very nice, as does Alpine Bobsleigh. And I still love the way that the Skyride has been incorporated into the park. Fits wonderfully there! The park is solid, but, it isn't cohesive! It definitely has been interesting, though, to see the park develop and grow!

Keep this going.

I registered because I enjoyed reading and seeing your park's progress.

Will you consider a video tour of the park? (end of decade extravaganza)?

That really means a lot, thank you! I can't say for sure about the video tour, but I can cover the park more in depth if there is interest.

Looking solid, but I can't say I am a fan of Space Adventure at all. It looks so tacky and out of place, especially those planes on the building.

I always try to keep in "character" in replying to comments, but I will tell you that everything built is how it is on purpose. Notice I've specifically pointed out the building is not attractive, and I've questioned "management" numerous times? I very well know and did everything with a purpose. Long term plans are in order, pending details.

Also, I'm afraid the park feels a bit choppy at this point. The park doesn't really "flow" if you get what I'm saying. Everything feels just plopped in there in this blocky layout. I know it's a bit late to fix that, but just felt like adding it in there.

That being said, your rides look nice as individual parts of a messy whole. The log flume looks very nice, as does Alpine Bobsleigh. And I still love the way that the Skyride has been incorporated into the park. Fits wonderfully there! The park is solid, but, it isn't cohesive! It definitely has been interesting, though, to see the park develop and grow!

This park was planned fairly last minute, and now that I have more building experience, I wish I could go back and essentially "randomize" the layout. It is what it is, but over the next few years, many of the holes will be filled in and, hopefully, the park will be more cohesive.

The park is right at the halfway point on the timeline, but probably only about a third of the way through on overall development. I know I keep saying this, but I can assure you: with every year that passes, the park is that much closer to really being something. I am not trying to make a *perfect* park in which every new ride or addition is meant to be a beautiful crowd-pleasing masterpiece. Above all, I want to make realistic and interesting.

I really appreciate the criticism, molemaster43, and I hope you continue to follow the park over the next 20 seasons. I think you're in for a surprise this time.

With that said, I want to thank everyone for 10,000 views! I would have dropped the project months ago without you guys. Thank you!

For the Space Theatre, my only complaint is the supports. I think it could be themed a bit better if you know what I mean. Also, are you wanting an amusement park or more of a theme park feel? If you're wanting more of a theme park feel, then I would suggest a space or future themed area for the Space Theatre.

Just offering my 2 cents.

^I appreciate the criticism. It seems I haven't made this as obvious as I hoped; allow me to explain.

Frontier Forest, in its current state, is a family oriented amusement park. What I've been trying to hint at the last few years are some potential difficulties concerning the direction of the park under park management. I have actively "questioned" management concerning recent additions and expansions.

I built the Space Adventure Theater as it is for a reason. I didnt try to build a flawless, aesthetically pleasing structure. I greatly appreciate the criticism, and I support everything you guys tell me for future reference, but I assure you, I have a master plan for the park. This is more of a storyline, less of a park "model." It's imperfect on purpose.

Final update of 1994 coming soon.

i feel like this park is really unplanned, like, it's all stream-of-consciousness what you build and where. i think you could do some stuff to make a lot of areas in the part look more aesthetically pleasing without much effort or any use of trainers; take "colored" brick walls for example, brick of your choice on inner side, colored glass on the other

i'd work on branching the areas together as a cohesive and believable whole as well as putting some landscape and foliage variation in there to make the park feel less bare

^Thank you very much for the criticism, but I feel like this is becoming repetitive.

This project has never had a major focus on architecture, but I am doing what I can to make the park presentable and decent looking.

What it seems that nobody understand is this: I am not attempting to make a beautiful, stunning, awe-inspiring NCSO park. I am doing an RCT timeline project. The kinks and aspects of the park that just don't add up or don't quite look right are intentional.

Please, for my sake, enough criticizing the layout. I gladly accept any and all criticism, but I have explained this multiple times.

Here is what I will say: give me, say, 10 years in-game (year 2004) to overhaul the park layout. At that point, say all you want about the layout. Right now, what do you think I could possibly do to fix this, while keeping a realistic budget/timeline? I have every park expansion planned out until the mid-2000's at this point. The park will not look anything like it does at this point in time in the mid-2000's.

If these problems are not fixed 10 years from now in-game (2004), I will drop the project. It isn't worth my time for you guys to tell the layout sucks every single update when I am very aware of this, but have plans in place to overhaul this aspect at some point (I will not specify when).

Please, continue the criticism. Architecture suggestions. Expansion/improvement suggestions. Anything, except park layout, for the next 10 seasons. I guarantee you will not be complaining about the layout at that point in time.

I don't mean to call anyone out. Really it is my fault that this is an issue, but it is quite frustrating as a builder to keep hearing this. Try to appreciate/criticize the amount of work I've put into the park since opening day. This park is a story, not an "NE worthy" masterpiece with architecture that you would never see in a traditional "amusement" park in RCT2. More to come, very soon. Thank you.

The 1994 season at Frontier Forest has reached its end, but not all is lost. Visitors may have something to look forward to for 1995 at Frontier Forest, with what appears to be some major construction going on back by Corvus. The park has already announced the return of The Viking for next season after a refurbishment to the 14 year old attraction.

This potential new ride couldn't come sooner, as revenue and park attendance has dropped significantly, down to 1.06 million.

Comments/criticism appreciated!

SCR521.jpg.afb080bc5462a412d4bda6e4cc3a81ff.jpg

A look at Coyote's nearly empty loading station, which has recently become a more common sight

SCR523.jpg.6be4d3f8412daca759504739a6b8316e.jpg

What are we looking at again? Oh, right. Dirt-moving. Did I hear someone say Vekoma?

SCR524.jpg.5ad712a7c41829a8f0d1d3fdc48f8cc1.jpg

Or was that Bolliger and Mabillard?

SCR525.jpg.3a745716aff964818da105c5e8b4bc32.jpg

This area certainly looks much different than it did just a few years ago.