TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2] Frontier Forest - Spring 2005 Quick Update

^ and ^^ Thanks for the feedback. I'm doing what i can, and I know very well what the upcoming priorities of the park are, and I think you will appreciate what is on tap over the next few years. Stay with me on this, and thanks again.

Here we find ourselves at Frontier Forest yet again, but this time, all the way into 1985. What is new in the last year, you ask?

NEW in 1985 is Dodgems, built by Bertazzon, it is one of the largest bumper car attractions in the world. More than double the area of Frontier Forest's original Crazy Cars, currently located in the Frontier Explorers children's area, Dodgems provides a classic thrill for the whole family on a much larger scale, unlike Crazy Cars, which is geared towards younger children.

With the recent growth in the park in all aspects, food options were becoming slim. In 1985, Frontier Forest will debut the FF Market, a restaurant located on Main Street right as you enter the park serving classic American favorites such as burgers and hot dogs. Just across the main midway, Foresters, a gift shop, greets incoming visitors with popular gift items such as souvenir t-shirts and hats.

As the Autumn shoulder season approached at Frontier Forest, some potential construction was spotted behind the Haunted Mansion. Could this be end of the story for the aging walk through haunted attraction, or something else entirely? More to come in 1986.

Some quick updates as a company, attendance saw another slight increase, finishing out the year entertaining just under 1.1 million guests. An update from Frontier Lake, while the dry side of the park recently added a family style coaster, the third coaster in the park, the water park has made heavy investments over the last two years. I wonder if we could be seeing a water park here at Frontier Forest at some point. Food for thought. As always, comments/criticism appreciated!

SCR400.jpg.56eb4c28d3acff6c554e810692670678.jpg

NEW in 1985 is Dodgems. With 24 riders per cycle, two entrances are utilized for accessibility. Even though the park already has a smaller version, this is a great addition and brings some much needed life to the main midway.

SCR401.jpg.a23b9651e5d0d1abec084a0070427cb5.jpg

Expanded Main Street in 1985

SCR402.jpg.cfa93f26105cf0c4a38d1eb2c276bbc2.jpg

FF Market, a restaurant

SCR403.jpg.4ea6d42b7660697af2e745470fb9b149.jpg

Expanded Main Street in 1985

SCR404.jpg.8c7ec0441ff01bf0a79ee80b3856f47f.jpg

Hmm...

SCR405.jpg.95109d2904b7f0fb7080a5ed3f467fb3.jpg

Dodgems brings some new life to the main midway

SCR406.jpg.c70f4b7c2b5a464b4a1b66fef6f6ce37.jpg

Although overshadowed by bigger, newer rides like Corvus, Forest Flyer attracts the longest lines in the park

SCR407.jpg.0ca216b5eea676388a353c0ceaca748d.jpg

1985 overview. Until next year.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the last page... I know the lack of crowds on the shuttle loop and mine train is kind of a timeline angle but it does seem to be the case based on the screens.

The reason for this is that the queue entrance isn't located at a "decision point". One of the biggest factors in ridership is the location of the queue entrance and that's why the woodie and corkscrew do so well. Building a queue up to a long straight path will negatively impact the ridership. If you put it at a point where the path turns or juts out 1 square so that when guests approach it they can't go straight and have to either go left or right that will greatly improve ridership if the queue entrance is left or right. They pretty much have a 50% chance of turning into it.

For some reason this is one of my favorite RCT2 tricks and nobody ever talks about it.

In regards to the new pictures I'm a fan of the new midway buildings. I think if you break up some of the parts of the midway where there's a lot of concrete with nothing in the middle it would look a lot nicer. The area in front of sweet treats with the pines is really nice... add a few more smaller landscaping areas like that.

Back to the last page... I know the lack of crowds on the shuttle loop and mine train is kind of a timeline angle but it does seem to be the case based on the screens.

The reason for this is that the queue entrance isn't located at a "decision point". One of the biggest factors in ridership is the location of the queue entrance and that's why the woodie and corkscrew do so well. Building a queue up to a long straight path will negatively impact the ridership. If you put it at a point where the path turns or juts out 1 square so that when guests approach it they can't go straight and have to either go left or right that will greatly improve ridership if the queue entrance is left or right. They pretty much have a 50% chance of turning into it.

For some reason this is one of my favorite RCT2 tricks and nobody ever talks about it.

In regards to the new pictures I'm a fan of the new midway buildings. I think if you break up some of the parts of the midway where there's a lot of concrete with nothing in the middle it would look a lot nicer. The area in front of sweet treats with the pines is really nice... add a few more smaller landscaping areas like that.

Thank you for the comments/criticism!

What you said about ridership makes perfect sense. I've actually heard about that trick before, but let me explain this the best I can.

As for the Mine Train, you are correct, the entrance is not placed *ideally* in accordance with the trick, but you must also remember that

1) The location plays a factor in ridership. There are currently no other major attractions on that particular midway, which happens to be pretty far from the main midway as well.

2) The Mine Train's capacity was absolutely insane, and perhaps would only ever have needed three trains if it were located in a park with attendance that warranted so. With two trains running and appropriate dispatch times, most trains are sent out nearly, if not completely full.

The story is similar for the shuttle loop. Foot traffic is very low around its area in the first place, so the entrance location would make a very small difference.

I will certainly keep that in mind for future major attractions- thank you!

As for the main midway, it will continue to be expanded as the park grows. This is true for all major midways- not just by the entrance gates. Landscaping is also on the priority list moving forward, and I think you and many others will appreciate how the park evolves over the next several years.

Sorry for the long reply, but I want to keep you updated. Thanks again!

It's a nice looking park. Though, there are some aesthetic aspects that could be improved on this park:

-The buildings look very generic.

-I don't understand the minimal amount of CS in this park, like the queue lines. The park would be nicer if it is entirely NCSO.

-The park's layout is WAY too grid-like, make some curves and put some vegetation around it to look nice.

The coasters look really nice and have good layouts, so keep it up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for the feedback and I would like you to know that everything you guys tell me, whether it is a positive or a negative, is seriously taken into consideration. Even if you don't notice a major difference in the park/style of building in just one year, remember that this a long term project and I can guarantee you will notice major differences in the long run. That being said, whether or not you have given me any sort of feedback/comments about the park, please do and be honest yet constructive. It is the only way I know your thoughts on the current state of Frontier Forest. Anyhow, on to 1986.

1986 was a very telling year for the direction of Frontier Forest in the near future. What do I mean by that? I will tell you.

In previous seasons, Frontier Forest has been administering detailed guest satisfaction surveys. The results of these surveys were certainly noteworthy. While most guests were very satisfied with the park, the majority of visitors, according to the surveys, highlighted interest in more family family attractions as well as more unique additions, like in park entertainment, water rides, etc. High thrill roller coasters, such as the most recent Corvus, do not appeal to many visitors at the park. Guests also highlighted interest in the development of a more immersive, full day family experience rather than major investments of attractions geared toward teenagers and thrill seekers.

In response to these surveys, Frontier Forest debuted their latest attraction in the summer if 1986: Roaring Rapids. This family friendly river rafting adventure rapids ride, manufactured by Intamin of Switzerland, is sure to fit that bill.

The Log Flume was the only other major water ride in the park, and Frontier Forest wanted to stay on top of trends as well as provide an experience guests will enjoy.

What does this mean for the future? "Families have always been our target audience here at Frontier Forest, and we strive to make a park that our guests will enjoy over and over again. While roller coasters are never off the agenda, we cater to our audience." ~Park Manager

On to some pictures, and comments/criticism is appreciated.

SCR408.jpg.bf08754299ca2fea8697a47e195bc7c3.jpg

NEW in 1986, Raging Rapids

SCR409.jpg.b2de7bef415f0eb69df83537ab2b5631.jpg

Riders are sure to get soaked during the three minute course

SCR410.jpg.b57f599b2a6fec0d28c9abb676c489ef.jpg

Queue house and exit

SCR411.jpg.e3bd808e7dc541ab3de2285d5a59f7f1.jpg

Construction fences were spotted in the fall across from the Log Flume. Could there be multiple attractions on the way?

SCR412.jpg.49d2337dd0c163155f0729ce305d4a34.jpg

Some much needed attention was brought along with the addition of Raging Rapids in 1986 to this particular midway

SCR413.jpg.34364d7c4298b6fc1193f9c1eed5dc26.jpg

Although Corvus is a very popular roller coaster, it seems Management is focused on family friendly attractions. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect to see a new coaster as thrilling anytime soon at Frontier Forest

SCR414.jpg.c017a051df2daa6b2869775288cf2725.jpg

The same holds true for Catapult. It is a wonder that the ride has stuck around as long as it has.

SCR415.jpg.77d94484679f0bd0f319bfdf0aa9006c.jpg

Final Overview in 1986. Big things are happening here at Frontier Forest.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, after a short hiatus, we are back in action at Frontier Forest, but this time, in 1987. Thank you to those that left some input on the park after past and previous updates. Done from an outsiders' perspective, this time around, is the 1987 official update.

"As a frequent visitor of Frontier Forest, I have begun to notice the smaller details as well as the bigger picture of the park in recent years. Back when the park opened, oh, a little more than 10 years ago, I felt that it lacked a certain quality that made the park enjoyable for more than half a day, as well as visitable more than a few times a year. I don't know exactly what it is; maybe it seemed in the earlier years the park simply went about how it wanted to without really improving the park. Sure, some very good attractions have been added (especially the Forest Flyer- that is a gem), but it seemed to be just going through the motions, adding what management wanted to. In the past few years, however, that has really changed. It feels like they (the higher-ups) know exactly what the guests want, and how to execute it properly. What do I mean by this? Being a family-oriented park with a few major thrill rides, many guests felt there weren't enough attractions for those families."

Further information: 1987 was a record year in profit and attendance. Approximately 1.25 million guests passed through the gates in 1987.

Comments appreciated!

SCR416.jpg.7fa4920c2792400fa8591fd7ab17c709.jpg

The Mine Train, probably the tamest roller coaster at Frontier Forest, is still popular among families with children

SCR417.jpg.07ea49c0b0ad5f5368cdfd58c27ed4ed.jpg

Corvus, the most recent roller coaster (1984), is just the opposite- this coaster is extreme, and suited for thrillseekers

SCR421.jpg.6a0e31f6eaa2c7ac751c41b2acb71efc.jpg

Forest Flyer is in between, and continues to be a crowd pleaser

SCR418.jpg.e4966b06ab3468fa5b9f2b5416557bd1.jpg

So, what has Frontier Forest done to keep the guests coming back, as well as attract a record number of visitors?

SCR420.jpg.77aa962c480ca64aefba7a5e46eaff2a.jpg

The new Looping Starship, manufactured by Intamin, is sure to please a variety of brave guests. But that isn't all...

SCR419.jpg.5c99cd225510e991a12a2fd2d9b5714f.jpg

For the first time in park history, shows have become a part of the experience at Frontier Forest, with the addition of the Frontier Forest Theater, pictured right

SCR422.jpg.952acaf974162e46402626b774f30720.jpg

Although no construction zones were spotted before the park closed up for the winter, something new is sure to be seen in 1988, building on the momentum over the past few seasons. The park has no shortage of space; perhaps we will see an expansion by the north end of the Sky Ride before long.

SCR423.jpg.edfe62db65d62f02ad2b120231ba9dcf.jpg

A final overview in 1987.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are at Frontier Forest, recapping all the happenings of 1988, as well as looking forward to 1989 and beyond.

The major new attraction this year is Pendulum, a Flying Carpet ride manufactured my Zierer. Passengers sit face to face as they rock back and forth, simulating the motion of a pendulum, only this time, coming 360 degrees over the top! Families can enjoy the all-new Pendulum together, as the ride is calm enough for the younger ones, yet thrilling enough for the adults and thrillseekers.

What else is new in 1988? The Forest Arcade, located adjacent to the Scrambler, is home to traditional arcade games and prizes as well as air conditioning to escape the summer heat.

A major construction area has been cleared on the far side of the pond, near Raging Rapids. Site clearing began about two weeks ago (mid-July), and piles of dirt have been on the move. Big things may be on the way!

For now, enjoy these pictures from the 1988 season at Frontier Forest, more to come when more is known. Comments appreciated!

SCR424.jpg.5dfbf4348ab95d37eb28b068f0b03d9e.jpg

NEW in 1988 is Pendulum. Look at that full queue!

SCR425.jpg.82ff591d357dde605a4a7a0fda303268.jpg

The Forest Arcade, new in 1988

SCR426.jpg.aa44a79458f36baebf8a32312a6f1592.jpg

After just four years, the Corvus midway is somewhat empty. Perhaps the recent boom of bigger, taller, faster, loopier roller coasters has detracted from the attention grabbing "WOW" factor

SCR428.jpg.c199b009f413572315aa0455a0a7ce83.jpg

This side of the park has really come together over the past few years. The park's lineup of non-coaster attractions had really been rounding out nicely of late

SCR429.jpg.7ba69b8025145b1f8d6af3a59bf1dfda.jpg

Major construction area. More to come when details are released. While it has been a few years since the last major investment, keep in mind that management has explicitly stated that high thrill attractions are not their primary focus

SCR430.jpg.ee49641d746ca34bbb9f300cfb4ee17d.jpg

The entrance gates in 1988, which welcomed over 1.2 million guests this year alone

SCR431.jpg.ccb86eb05a4b958b0483a75ca1fc7771.jpg

Final overview from 1988. More to come very soon.

I suggest you break the grid a little bit here. I know it's hard without custom scenery but right now everything is at a 90 degree angle and it's looking a little overwhelming.

Edit: Also, set the minimum dispatch time for the Sky Ride. Add the ride times together for the 2 sides of the ride, then divide that number by the number of cars you have and make that the minimum AND maximum wait time (or make the maximum 2-3 seconds longer). Sky Rides look a lot better with cars evenly spaced and I just noticed that in one of your screens they're all going the same direction. That would never happen in a real park and it's a quick fix.

After a long offseason filled with rumors and speculation, it is finally time to reveal the big news from Frontier Forest in 1989; let's get right to it!

Raging Rapids re-opened with the park for the new season, as planned. However, Swan Boats did not return for the 1989 season, becoming the first defunct attraction in park history. The boats will remain in the boneyard for the time being, but their return seems unlikely.

New in 1989 is Coyote, an Arrow Dynamics Suspended coaster that interacts with the nearby Raging Rapids water rafting ride. Standing 75 feet tall and reaching speeds of nearly 50 mph over more than 3,200 feet of track, Coyote is Frontier Forest's fifth roller coaster, and is slated to be the park's premier attraction.

Comments/criticism is appreciated, that's all for 1989. ~Management, Frontier Forest

SCR434.jpg.af8bf0a65666fe0f1e84829b4f62d692.jpg

While Raging Rapids re-opened come opening day, Swan Boats did not return for the 1989 season, becoming the very first defunct attraction in park history. Today, the boats make their new home in the boneyard in backstage areas.

SCR435.jpg.07ce69d7ef393193c641007065acce2c.jpg

The third coaster at Frontier Forest manufactured by Arrow Dynamics, Coyote stands 75 feet tall and reaches speeds of nearly 50 mph over 3,200 feet of track.

SCR438.jpg.648571f02ddb2dce076b6237987e9a2a.jpg

Raging Rapids closed early in the fall of 1988 to allow for Coyote's construction, as a major portion of the track interacts with the popular rafting ride and the trees overhead.

SCR439.jpg.5a48dd72d76db20e3f06c79204251a2f.jpg

Watch your head; low clearance!

SCR440.jpg.5f2549c783cc05b73eb4597a45c0c9d8.jpg

The final brake run and transfer track after the second lift of Coyote, which runs three trains of seven cars each, allowing a possible 1,800 riders per hour at max capacity.

SCR433.jpg.69262692482ccb6e309d6403d707061f.jpg

Even with crowds flocking to the all new Coyote, Forest Flyer consistently draws lines. It seems the wooden coaster could use a fresh paint job after more than a decade of operation.

SCR437.jpg.16362c75e5aad313b7a1568508ca806a.jpg

Corvus has not been so lucky, as ridership has declined considerably since its debut in 1984.

SCR441.jpg.66697f4039b48fcfa396f28917650f8a.jpg

Bumper Boats closed down before the season concluded, and the boats seem to be removed from the man-made pool. Take that how you will.

SCR444.jpg.af947868dc65e84aad84370b2aacdc15.jpg

The big news for 1989 was Coyote. This unique coaster, dubbed a Suspended Coaster, swings freely beneath the track at speeds of nearly 50 mph

SCR442.jpg.c7c73f8a7e683726c1e2564ce0451fd9.jpg

Hmmm...

SCR443.jpg.7d97a9fb8ac2589f996adf06d0c85965.jpg

Overview from the 1989 season. Stay Tuned!

I really think your park needs hills or some type of landscape. It would look fine if you added more trees and better foliage. You should add fencing to every path and more buildings in your park as well. It looks to empty and dull. That new Arrow would look better if it was terrian or had better foilage around it. I do like that station though and the transfer track part of the coaster. Also try using different types of path, I see to many boring and depressing colors in this park. Try and switch it up a bit. Anyway I hope you take some of my comments in consideration. Can't wait to see more!

I really think your park needs hills or some type of landscape. It would look fine if you added more trees and better foliage. You should add fencing to every path and more buildings in your park as well. It looks to empty and dull. That new Arrow would look better if it was terrian or had better foilage around it. I do like that station though and the transfer track part of the coaster. Also try using different types of path, I see to many boring and depressing colors in this park. Try and switch it up a bit. Anyway I hope you take some of my comments in consideration. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the criticism, I will absolutely take these into consideration. I can't guarantee that you will see any major changes in hills/elevation simply because I am using in-game money with a max budget of $100,000, which severely limits what I can do in that respect, but I feel keeps the park realistic in many other respects. Many of your other suggestions were already on the drawing board, and you may even see some of them in the following update.

I encourage you to continue commenting on the park's progress; it is the only way I can improve this project.