TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

18 Year Old Killed on Inferno at Terra Mítica

it's confirmed that Terra Mitica made changes but it's not confirmed that those changes caused the accident, that part is speculation.

It's hard to say, in Gröna Lund's statement they say "Intamin can come to the conclusion that if you follow their instructions and safety procedures the ride is safe", so everything looks to be against Terra Mítica at this point.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intamin don't periodically send engineers out to inspect their installations. Once they sell the ride and hand it over it's the parks job to look after it and have suitably qualified personnel perform regular inspections.

Intamin don't periodically send engineers out to inspect their installations. Once they sell the ride and hand it over it's the parks job to look after it and have suitably qualified personnel perform regular inspections.

Right they wouldnt do it automatically but someone said that in response to the accident they sent someone out to inspect it.

Well, that's a different story then... Then it is obviously a Park fault. But Intamin engineers do inspections in their rides frequently, don't they? They should have noticed.

Manufacturers don't randomly inspect their rides after they are built. Only exception would be if a modification is being made or if the park requests it.

it's confirmed that Terra Mitica made changes but it's not confirmed that those changes caused the accident, that part is speculation.

It's hard to say, in Gröna Lund's statement they say "Intamin can come to the conclusion that if you follow their instructions and safety procedures the ride is safe", so everything looks to be against Terra Mítica at this point.

Well, it will be the Spanish authorities that determine the cause of the accident, not Intamin -- although I would presume they will rely heavily on Intamin's input. It may well turn out to be that unauthorized modifications were the cause, but i would take Intamin's statements, via Grona Lund, with a grain of salt -- Intamin has a vested interest here. That doesn't mean they are not right, but I wouldn't simply conclude that at this point. Ideally, one would want an independent investigation.

Well, it will be the Spanish authorities that determine the cause of the accident, not Intamin -- although I would presume they will rely heavily on Intamin's input. It may well turn out to be that unauthorized modifications were the cause, but i would take Intamin's statements, via Grona Lund, with a grain of salt -- Intamin has a vested interest here. That doesn't mean they are not right, but I wouldn't simply conclude that at this point. Ideally, one would want an independent investigation.

The other Zacspins would not have been allowed to open again unless they know what the cause of the accident was.

Yes, we will have to wait for the official investigation from the authorities until we officially know the reason, but Intamin already knows it. As to what modifications they have done we will probably never know.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Is there any follow-ups of this accident lately?

Inferno has reopened during the last week of july. I was there the first week of august and had some good rides! It was given a new paintjob and they are only using 1 of 3 trains, even if there is a (huge) line waiting.

Another interesting fact is that the park is split up in 2 seperate parks, Terra Mitica (all the coasters and thrill rides) and Iberia Park (some dark- and waterrides and the spa-pool). You can buy a combined ticket or just a ticket for 1 park and get a discount for the other one if you want to do it. Don't know why they choose this strategy.

Next to the Egyptian part of the park (so actually in front of the park if you look at Terra Mitica from Benidorm) they are building a (business)hotel, which is scheduled to open next year.

For 2016, they are also getting a starflyer.

Inferno has reopened during the last week of july. I was there the first week of august and had some good rides! It was given a new paintjob and they are only using 1 of 3 trains, even if there is a (huge) line waiting.

Magic Mountain being outdone?

Magic Mountain being outdone?

Unacceptable indeed, but I wouldn't say they outdo MM, since MM has a lot more visitors than Terra Mitica (thus longer lines).

However, in the blistering heat of Benidorm, it doens't take more than 60-70 people in line to make it go agonisingly slow when using 1 of 3 trains.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I've been checking back here periodically to find out what went wrong during the accident on Inferno- there seems to be little or no transparency for Health and Safety in Spain! Although I did come across this interview with the father from January this year:

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2016/01/29/theme_park_death_under_investigation/

According to the report the victim was over the weight limit of the restraint system...not sure if that's plausible? Also in the article it mentions that the parks directors have not even contacted the family - a stark contrast to the high level of corporate responsibility Merlin Entertainments have shown after The Smiler crash last year.

Yeah, the whole thing sounds like bull from the park.

According to the article, he weighed about 260 pounds- big, but if he fit in the restraints they should have held. And if they were that delicate, there should have been warnings and he shouldn't have been allowed on the ride.

No idea how things work in Spain, but I hope the family gets some kind of reparation; even an acknowledgement of sympathy for the kids death from the park would be a start.

Here's a pic of the young man- not sure when it was taken:

Edited by Wily J

^ I wonder if they make that shirt in 4XL? I have a friend who needs to be embarrassed again.

DISCLAIMER: The preceding statement has nothing whatsoever to do with the horrible tragedy or the park's botched resolution of said tragedy. Nor is it intended to be a jab at Guests of Exceptional Size . If you are offended by this statement, please visit your nearest eye bleach station. Void where prohibited. Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate the animals. Common side effects include headache, nausea, anal leakage, minor death, heart failure, and increased gullibility regarding infomercials. Batteries not included. Avoid direct sunlight. Machine wash in cold water. No purchase necessary. Some assembly required. Take twice a day with water. Professional driver on closed course. I could go on. Bit I won't. But I could.

I just recently visited Six Flags Magic Mountain, and was loading on 'Twisted Colossus' when our train was delayed departure due to the fact that they couldn't get the restraints to secure a large passenger. Sadly, this guy had to exit the attraction...but at least the ride attendants didn't try to accommodate him by forcing the restraints to exceed the recommended safety capacity of the ride.

If you happen to be a large size adult, then you have to accept the fact that the rest of the world won't always be able to accommodate your physical requirements. At least this guy hadn't waited in some crazy long line, because we were there for the Automobile Club (AAA) event and the wait for Twisted Colossus was maybe 10 minutes or less. (And NO you shouldn't be allowed to sue Six Flags because they weren't able to accommodate all body types)

Edited by BelizeIt

Hadn't the park themselves made modifications to the restraints and that's what caused the accident?

That's what was reported; not sure if it's been confirmed as fact yet.

And yeah, the kid is husky, but he doesn't look big enough to break a normally functioning restraint.

He was just a boy still; sad.

I have always assumed that the restraint systems on rides are wildly over engineered to the point were, if it locks, its safe - regardless of weight. Last year at Alton Towers we went on Oblivion, and a plus sized lady was with us, the staff asked us to wait for the next train which has a plus sized seat and from what I could tell, it was the exact same seat as all the others with the exception that It had two seatbelts instead of one, but the purpose of the seatbelts, again as far as I know, is not to act as a restraint but to ensure the OTR is locked.

Basically the weight explanation on Terra Mitica's part sounds like BS...

If that picture of the kid killed is accurate we have put much larger people on these rides during our trips and had no issues. In fact two of our larger people got stuck on the ride because the restraint would NOT release them!