TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

18 Year Old Killed on Inferno at Terra Mítica

I have always found myself defending Intamin when it comes to the grief they get about reliability/safety etc but I find it very, very hard to do that now.

How can you even for a moment put the blame on Intamin when there are so few details released??? This is a ride that has run for over 7 years without incident in a part of the world that has had some issues with ride maintenance before. (Hi, remember the flat ride that just collapsed at Tibidabo?)

I'd personally put a bit more speculation into it being a maintenance issue than a problem with Intamin.

Although Intamin may have more accidents, and that is unusual, one must always remember that coasters are safer than essentially any form of transportation.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always found myself defending Intamin when it comes to the grief they get about reliability/safety etc but I find it very, very hard to do that now.

How can you even for a moment put the blame on Intamin when there are so few details released??? This is a ride that has run for over 7 years without incident in a part of the world that has had some issues with ride maintenance before. (Hi, remember the flat ride that just collapsed at Tibidabo?)

I'd personally put a bit more speculation into it being a maintenance issue than a problem with Intamin.

Although Intamin may have more accidents, and that is unusual, one must always remember that coasters are safer than essentially any form of transportation.

This is true, but when restraints fail some consideration at least must be given to the manufacturing, even if this turns out not to have been the prime cause of the event.

As for Robb's comment, I am sorry I didn't reply to the message earlier, I hope my answer to this question explains my position further and I apologise if the way I wrote my first post to this topic didn't make it clear, I am not the best at always getting things out the way I mean sometimes

Pretty ironic that it was just the turn into the station where the restraint opened, and that did him in. At least it doesn't sound as horrible as being thrown out like a rocket mid-ride. My thoughts go to the victim and his family.

Pretty ironic that it was just the turn into the station where the restraint opened, and that did him in. At least it doesn't sound as horrible as being thrown out like a rocket mid-ride. My thoughts go to the victim and his family.

Sometimes, in a small fall, a good solid blow to the head is all that it takes

So the restraint popped up according to reports meaning more than likely that the hydraulic failed. I'm assuming the seat belt isn't designed in the case of the restraint popping up as I'm sure once the hydraulic failed his weight plus the force of the ride probably broke the seatbelt?

Edited by adamd

If the kid was big enough he probably slipped out the bottom. The straps breaking would not allow him to fall out, unless he didn't have legs or something.. The seats don't extend that far out underneath of you so if the restraints were not down far he could have slid out.

Possible. In the spanish clip interviewing witnesses posted above, the man being interviewed said that the boy was large proportioned and that the seat belt was undone. I am not familiar with this ride or its restraints, but could it be that if the boy was very large and the restraint was not pulled down very far, could the force of that last turn send him sliding under it? (Not to pick on large people, but, historically, when people have been ejected from coaster trains, it has usually been because the restraint did not fit/ was not designed for the larger proportions or the different distribution of weight, rather than a true mechanical failure of the restraint).

Sometimes, in a small fall, a good solid blow to the head is all that it takes

Head trauma is a likely cause of death, considering that from my experiences on Green Lantern, the final, tight "turn" of a ZacSpin is where you are most likely to be inverted. Or did he fall out right after the ride slowed down? It's kinda hard to pinpoint what the news is talking about considering the unusual layout of a ZacSpin.

So the restraint popped up according to reports meaning the hydraulic failed. I'm assuming the seat belt isn't designed in the case as I'm sure once the hydraulic failed his weight plus the force of the ride probably broke the seatbelt?

The restraint is likely designed to take a weight higher than any rider under a high g-load. The seatbelt is also probably certified for high force. I cannot see how this accident happened. If this was mechanical failure whether than improper restraining, could there have been a failure of the seat itself? That is probably even more unlikely, but nobody has thought of it yet.

Possible. In the spanish clip interviewing witnesses posted above, the man being interviewed said that the boy was large proportioned and that the seat belt was undone. I am not familiar with this ride or its restraints, but could it be that if the boy was very large and the restraint was not pulled down very far, could the force of that last turn send him sliding under it?

When I rode Green Lantern at SFMM, there was an unfavorable spin during the ride's final vertical section of track (which is also its brake run) that put me facing the ground during the rapid deceleration, and let's just say it was extremely painful on the nether regions. If the feeling I got counts as anecdotal evidence, It's feasible that someone could be ejected in the manner you describe were the seatbelt not buckled and restraint not down far enough.

If your a bigger rider just the lap restraint may not hold you in. I'm not saying the hydraulics failed (the restraint would come up in that case) I'm saying the force from the ride plus his weight his shoulders could have pushed through the plastic harness and basically they tore (I don't believe there is metal inside the plastic) so it is indeed possible to push through it with enough force (which these rides can provide said force) not to mention the amount of strain on the restraints from prior riders. I've only ridden Green Lantern which my understanding is the most tame of all these Zac Spins and no joke my shoulders had red marks all over (also my thighs) I can't even imagine how many times you are going forward and back against the restraint being spun around on any other Zac Spin. This is of course all assuming thats what indeed happened. The only other thing I can think of is the restraint popped up but to your point that would be a hydraulic fail and I doubt that happened plus the seatbelt (as long as it was put on) holds it in place in case that were to happen.

There's just no way the hydraulics failed. Although it's possible, I don't think based on the design that its like for the rider to come up and out. I think it's much more likely that due to the rider's size the restraint wasnt down all the way and that they went down and out instead. If the lap restraint came down on you mid-gut instead of in your lap where it was supposed to, it would be possible to slide out. Thats something that the ride op is supposed to make sure doesnt happen, but from what I understood thats basically what happened on NTAG. Could be something similar here.

Witnesses say that in the last turn before the station the restraint opened and the boy fell facedown.

http://multimedia.diarioinformacion.com/videos/alicante/20140708/joven-islandes-anos-sufre-primer-accidente-mortal-historia-terra-mitica-863777.shtml

Theres no way the restraint opened. The strap could have broken, or he could have fallen out due to the restraint not being secure in the first place, but it takes thousands and thousands of pounds to open that restraint forecefully. No human being under any survivable G-force would break it, ever. (Thats kind of a safety requirement)

i work as an engineer at a theme park and i would think that a ride as modern as the "zacspin" would have detection for each individual harness, ie if the lad was too big to ride, the ride would have flagged it and not be allowed to be operated. i have ridden the same ride on a number of occasions and find it amazing that this has happened. the ride attendants have headsets linked to the main operator, so if there was an issue during dispatch, im sure it would've been seen.

i work as an engineer at a theme park and i would think that a ride as modern as the "zacspin" would have detection for each individual harness, ie if the lad was too big to ride, the ride would have flagged it and not be allowed to be operated. i have ridden the same ride on a number of occasions and find it amazing that this has happened. the ride attendants have headsets linked to the main operator, so if there was an issue during dispatch, im sure it would've been seen.

Hate to bring up NTAG again, but this does seem to be a similar issue. Its not always that theyre "too big" it may just be that an unusual body shape causes the restraint to be ineffective. This is something the ride operators should notice when visually checking each restraint.

Again why we need to wait...they're now saying that the kid is from Iceland and not England. They keep flip flopping on the poor kids identity, it will be some time before we really know what happened.

I agree. Even the statement from the police seems to raise more questions than it answers. Hopefully for the sake of the family the investigation will answer all the questions and will stop a freak accident like this happening again.

I echo the sentiments in the last two comments. In no way does this detract from the feelings of the family, but I would be mortified if a ride I inspected caused an accident let alone a fatality. The park engineers will be devastated too. The cause will be identified and changes made if needed. What a truly terrible situation for everyone concerned

I echo the sentiments in the last two comments. In no way does this detract from the feelings of the family, but I would be mortified if a ride I inspected caused an accident let alone a fatality. The park engineers will be devastated too. The cause will be identified and changes made if needed. What a truly terrible situation for everyone concerned

I can't even imagine how the staff are feeling right now. I send my thoughts and prayers to them as well, I can very well see how something like this could cause someone to want to run away from what is otherwise a truly wonderful industry.

Well, Tibidabo is actually located in Spain, as well as Terra Mítica. But they are two completely different parks, have nothing to do with. Tibidabo is in Barcelona, Terra Mítica is in Benidorm. Separated by 500 km ( 313 miles). But even more, the accident at Tibidabo wasn't caused by ride maintenance. It was proved that the ride was structurally wrong, a factory defect.

I've been working at Terra Mítica for 8 seasons, from 2004 until 2011. Last seasons I used to work at Inferno. It has to be completely shocking for the family and friends, as well as the workers. Between 2010 and 2011 there were several internal changes at the park, since a new company started to manage it. I guess there has been more changes since then, because that company wanted to make Terra Mítica profitable. But it's hard to think they could have cut back in maintenance service. I believe they're still rigorous with that.

I loved working at Inferno, such a dynamic ride job! I can't believe the restraint failed... After 7 years? It is supposed the train cannot be dispatched if the 8 restraints are closed. Inferno has a main operator panel, 2 more co-dispatch panels, as well as 2 more unloading panels. These four station panels are operated with a key every assistant have. Moreover, there are different buttons for dispatching the trains. Just a single restraint is not closed, and the train cannot leave the station.

I'm touched for this. My thoughts are with the family and friends. But also with the workers who had to go through this.

Hi all.

This is my first post. I am from Iceland and I found this thread via google. I am a theme park enthusiast thats why I signed up to participate with you here on in the future.

Following is a written statement from the deceased Andri Freyr Sveinsson family, that was just published in icelandic media. I hope the translation is ok.

"We, the parents and step parents of Andri Freyr, want to send out this statement regarding the terrible accident at the Tetta Mítica amusement park on last 7th. of July. We ask the media to respect our difficult circumstances and stop reporting unconfirmed news and thus not speak in error.

Initially the family planned to stay for 28 days in Spain. On the seventh day we went to the amusement park Terra Mítica near Benidorm and the whole family had spent the day there. The accident happened in the roller coaster “Inferno”, Andri Freyr sat in the back seat with his friend and younger sister. At the end of the ride, in approximately 15 meters height, all security devices for the seat stop working and he falls out of the roller coaster. There was a Norwegian doctor in the roller coaster that provided first aid along with the amusement park staff. In the amusement park there was no ambulance on site and waiting for one took 20-25 minutes. When the ambulance finally came our son died inside of it, while still on site at the amusement park and Andri Freyr was thus never transferred to hospital.

All our children that was also on this trip has now been transferred to Iceland to their parents to get help because of these horrible events that they unfortunately witnessed. Andri Freyrs father and stepmother stayed behind in Torreveija to bring Andri Freyr home.

We ask the media from here on to watch what you report and how your news are put forward since it doesn't help a sibling, reading news that are not built on truth. Finally our families want to thank each and every one that has showed us compassion because of this terrible event and those that have paved our way especially Skúla Mogensen, Wowair staff and Sveini Arnari Nikulásarsyni."

Take care everybody.

^ Thank you very much for that.

Unfortunately it does not come with any real new information, though. The question still stands about just how the restraint completely failed. Even if the locking mechanisms for the hydraulics unlocked the seatbelt should have done its job. Those Intamin belts aren't your typical "hit the button" release. You need coordination to unlock them. Very strange, indeed.

I don't know what Tibidabo has to do with Terra mitica but the tibidabo ride that collapsed was also a bad design. It was both a bad design and poor maintenance what caused the accident.

I don't know what Tibidabo has to do with Terra mitica but the tibidabo ride that collapsed was also a bad design. It was both a bad design and poor maintenance what caused the accident.

If you don't understand the point I was making, why did you bother responding?