TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

18 Year Old Killed on Inferno at Terra Mítica

I guess if he's over weight and the harnesses (both sides) broke due to his weight giving them too much force (plus all the force thats been on them for how many years the ride has been open) makes the most sense so far. If this indeed happened I would guess the side part of the lap bar didn't matter for his size (as it would be sticking out too much) and during an inversion he probably easily slipped out. Of course this is given he was indeed overweight and the straps on the restraints broke (which makes the most sense). Unfortunately I can see if thats what indeed happened (the straps breaking) I can see them going with the hard restraints on all these rides and maybe even I-305 since they have the vests now as well. Will be interesting to see what indeed happened.
No not a chance. These hydraulic restraints hold thousands of pounds more than necessary (Go dig up the NTAG accident thread where stats and diagrams were posted). There's no way that any human being's weight could cause a hydraulic restraint to fail simply by force. The restraint just "failing" mechanically is equally as improbable.

I also doubt that even with both straps failing that you would be thrown out of the ride, that lap bar holds you in pretty securely, much like the newer Premier and RMC restraints do.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The forces against the restraints on a ZacSpin are much more than even a standard lap bar with extremely low g-forces, because at least in that situation the force is up, not against the locking mechanism like on a ZacSpin.

My thoughts are with the victim's family.

The forces against the restraints on a ZacSpin are much more than even a standard lap bar with extremely low g-forces, because at least in that situation the force is up, not against the locking mechanism like on a ZacSpin.

My thoughts are with the victim's family.

It would take many many more thousands of pounds of force to cause a restraint to fail. I can't find the exact number but it's such a ridiculous number that it is virtually impossible to occur, and that's just one of the two redundant cylinders. I feel strongly that it's going to be a similar cause as NTAG, though I find it harder to picture how that would happen the way these cars are loaded.

No not a chance. These hydraulic restraints hold thousands of pounds more than necessary (Go dig up the NTAG accident thread where stats and diagrams were posted). There's no way that any human being's weight could cause a hydraulic restraint to fail simply by force. The restraint just "failing" mechanically is equally as improbable.

I also doubt that even with both straps failing that you would be thrown out of the ride, that lap bar holds you in pretty securely, much like the newer Premier and RMC restraints do.

If your a bigger rider just the lap restraint may not hold you in. I'm not saying the hydraulics failed (the restraint would come up in that case) I'm saying the force from the ride plus his weight his shoulders could have pushed through the plastic harness and basically they tore (I don't believe there is metal inside the plastic) so it is indeed possible to push through it with enough force (which these rides can provide said force) not to mention the amount of strain on the restraints from prior riders. I've only ridden Green Lantern which my understanding is the most tame of all these Zac Spins and no joke my shoulders had red marks all over (also my thighs) I can't even imagine how many times you are going forward and back against the restraint being spun around on any other Zac Spin. This is of course all assuming thats what indeed happened. The only other thing I can think of is the restraint popped up but to your point that would be a hydraulic fail and I doubt that happened plus the seatbelt (as long as it was put on) holds it in place in case that were to happen.

What a horrible accident. Whatever the cause it's heartbreaking for the victim, family, anyone who saw it happen and of course the poor ride operators. I remember Furious Baco's vest restraint snapped a few seasons ago on one of the seats, so if Inferno is as brutal on the shoulders as people say, I guess it's not impossible the same could have happened here. Whatever the reason, when you consider how many people have ridden Inferno, plus the other Zacspins, PLUS all the other rides that use this restraint, it's a freak accident and it's sad someone has died.

Just received a confirmation that Kirnu is closed, as are all ZacSpins, until the investigation is complete. I remember last time something like this happened at Linnanmäki, it was with HUSS Rainbow, which then was removed for the next season 2010.

After the accident with the modified Schwarzkopf Monster at a carnival here rides were closed for about two days as it become clear the modification failed and original rides were not affected.

Always good to be on the save side and learn what happened - I guess such new rides will not be removed.

If your a bigger rider just the lap restraint may not hold you in. I'm not saying the hydraulics failed (the restraint would come up in that case) I'm saying the force from the ride plus his weight his shoulders could have pushed through the plastic harness and basically they tore (I don't believe there is metal inside the plastic) so it is indeed possible to push through it with enough force (which these rides can provide said force) not to mention the amount of strain on the restraints from prior riders. I've only ridden Green Lantern which my understanding is the most tame of all these Zac Spins and no joke my shoulders had red marks all over (also my thighs) I can't even imagine how many times you are going forward and back against the restraint being spun around on any other Zac Spin. This is of course all assuming thats what indeed happened. The only other thing I can think of is the restraint popped up but to your point that would be a hydraulic fail and I doubt that happened plus the seatbelt (as long as it was put on) holds it in place in case that were to happen.

What part do you mean by plastic? Because the part that holds the person in is the big thick bar that's basically a padded thick metal tube. The vest looking part is only there to keep the person more steady on the ride, and i don't know why but green lantern is the only zacspin that actually puts alot of stress on the vests, such as you explained.

I have always found myself defending Intamin when it comes to the grief they get about reliability/safety etc but I find it very, very hard to do that now.

How can you even for a moment put the blame on Intamin when there are so few details released??? This is a ride that has run for over 7 years without incident in a part of the world that has had some issues with ride maintenance before. (Hi, remember the flat ride that just collapsed at Tibidabo?)

I'd personally put a bit more speculation into it being a maintenance issue than a problem with Intamin.

I have always found myself defending Intamin when it comes to the grief they get about reliability/safety etc but I find it very, very hard to do that now.

How can you even for a moment put the blame on Intamin when there are so few details released??? This is a ride that has run for over 7 years without incident in a part of the world that has had some issues with ride maintenance before. (Hi, remember the flat ride that just collapsed at Tibidabo?)

I'd personally put a bit more speculation into it being a maintenance issue than a problem with Intamin.

It is still unknown if the restraint opened like all the news says. So I wouldn't blame Intamin or Terra Mitica. From what I've read from people working in the park the maintenance wasn't bad. Again, I don't think the restraint has opened. A spanish newspaper says that victim's overweight could be the cause. Last information is that the park has contacted with Intamin.

They're nearly the same as the restraints found on most Intamin coasters made in the past decade - an overhead lap bar with an attached shoulder harness secured by a seat belt - though Inferno has a vest harness instead. In order for the restraint to open all the way and eject someone, the belt would either have to be deliberately unbuckled or snapped in half.

If i remember correctly, the vest snapped on Furious Baco a few years back? But wouldn't it be very difficult to fall out the restraint even without functioning vest straps? Surely with two locking mechanisms(if it has two?), they wouldn't both fail if any?

If the kid was big enough he probably slipped out the bottom. The straps breaking would not allow him to fall out, unless he didn't have legs or something.. The seats don't extend that far out underneath of you so if the restraints were not down far he could have slid out.

This is horrible....Prayers go to the family of the poor kid...

Any word from the Intamin coasters here in the states? Is Maverick and Stormrunner closed?

Green Lantern is closed at SFMM.