TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Announcing "Skyline Attractions"

Here's the thing though, why reinvent the wheel? I mean, Maters ride is a ton of fun, and Disney is the only location I know of that has the 4 table version of the ride. And has cars that swing. Yes, they bought the ride system from another supplier, but its because that supplier already designed exactly what they were looking for. Same goes for the rides in Bugsland. Yes, they are off the shelf, but its what they needed.

Agreed--there's little point to "inventing" a flat that someone else can provide. That's like waiting for your "research" people to "invent" a tea cup ride in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it's a simulator without a video with which to interact?

No but if you're lucky you might get given a TV remote so it feels like your on a real couch!

"Couch Potato: The Ride."

Why would we want a ride themed to Jeff Johnson?

I don't get it.

Not that the Crazy Couch ride is a bad idea or anything, but this company needs to start building bigger or it won't be able to stay afloat. Even if they sell a ton of these rides, they will still have their own business costs and theme parks will want different or larger attractions. One new ride a year just won't do, especially if they are this small or a game like Spin and Win.

I'm not saying that they need to start building Gigas or anything, but not every park can suit the capacity of these smaller things.

Not that the Crazy Couch ride is a bad idea or anything, but this company needs to start building bigger or it won't be able to stay afloat. Even if they sell a ton of these rides, they will still have their own business costs and theme parks will want different or larger attractions. One new ride a year just won't do, especially if they are this small or a game like Spin and Win.

Every company in this industry matters - no matter how small, no matter which niche they cut. Business in this industry is business, whether you're selling Ferrari World their Flying Aces coaster or John Smith's Family Entertainment Center (made that one up) a Strike-U-Up game. Not everyone has to deal in millions of dollars, especially a business that's basically just getting off the ground.

Contrary to popular belief, not every park is looking for an attraction that will blow their guests' minds inside out. Sometimes, the ride that fits the bill is the one that's the "safe bet", the one that guests will always like.

Reading through Skyline's website and their about page/press releases, I think their strategy here is not to build something that will be huge and out of control, but something manageable. I feel like they want to build rides that are low maintenance; that'll run for thousands and thousands and thousands of hours without incident, building reputation within the industry as reliable, so investors can see potential.

At least, that's my take on it. Intamin started with Jr. Gemini (Wilderness Run), and now they have Kingda Ka, Formula Rossa, Millennium Force, Intimidator 305, etc, Golden Ticket Awards, and all of the accolades and achievements they earned. No one is saying that Skyline is breaking any new, Earth Shattering ground, but you have to start somewhere.

EDIT: Also, sorry if this particular ground has already been covered in this thread.

"We got together some time ago and discussed the shortcomings in what manufacturers offer to the amusement industry – an industry we all love. We’re here to fill those gaps. For years, we have been hearing operators asking “What’s new?” and “Where to next?” Skyline’s mission is to answer these questions with new and innovative attractions for fixed-site and traveling facilities every year."

From Skyline's initial press release

So, it's a simulator without a video with which to interact?

No but if you're lucky you might get given a TV remote so it feels like your on a real couch!

"Couch Potato: The Ride."

Why would we want a ride themed to Jeff Johnson?

I don't get it.

I tried to make a TPR joke and failed. Gotta sharpen my skills...

Jeff Johnson is ancient, not lazy.

So are we finally getting "Bench:The Ride"? Maybe this will be placed next to all those scary roller coasters that old people can't go on and then *poof* lap bar comes down and then they're riding "Bench:The Ride". Hell, put this thing at the edge of the Stratosphere in Vegas and I'll probably be pissing my pants looking over the ledge.

Jimmy "Popcorn, beer and TV remote need to be given to riders while riding this ride" Bo

"We got together some time ago and discussed the shortcomings in what manufacturers offer to the amusement industry – an industry we all love. We’re here to fill those gaps. For years, we have been hearing operators asking “What’s new?” and “Where to next?” Skyline’s mission is to answer these questions with new and innovative attractions for fixed-site and traveling facilities every year."

From Skyline's initial press release

I'm not seeing the innovation in this new flat ride, it actually leaves me with more questions than answers.

Hell, put this thing at the edge of the Stratosphere in Vegas and I'll probably be pissing my pants looking over the ledge.

That is actually ingenious. Wonder if the folks at the Stratosphere would consider it.

Hell, put this thing at the edge of the Stratosphere in Vegas and I'll probably be pissing my pants looking over the ledge.

That is actually ingenious. Wonder if the folks at the Stratosphere would consider it.

I was thinking the same, that would instantly make this ride into a pretty high-thrill little ride. I want!

• 4 weeks later...
Okay so while watching the Lego movie today I had a thought about the "crazy couch" and came up with the next generation of this ride. It will of course be the "Double Decker Crazy Couch"!

I'll just leave this here...