TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 Expansions

So I've decided to go retro and reinstall Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 on my puter, but this time with the expansions. I adored the Corkscrew Follies and Loopy Landscapes expansions for the original, because they added content while contributing to the realism of the theme park genre... Hyper Coaster cars, giant B&M loops, Gyro Drop Towers. The sequel's expansions however never appealed to me on the shop shelves all those years ago; they looked more like a bizarre, surreal trip than a game about theme park management and completely lost me for a while there... plus, considering what they offered on the package, RCT2 seemed to be it for me.

And I'm glad I never bought them. I just finished having a look through the scenarios and can't believe how wayward and truly bizarre they became. I think the only advantage to using them would be acquiring some of the new scenery they offer, but even then a lot of that is so obscure and unrealistic that it feels like two different games colliding, or the unused content from one thrown into another. I think I began to audibly ask my computer screen "What?" when I opened the Rio themed scenario, which is crowded with giant bunches of balloons and hoards of giant bikini clad women 'animatronics' dancing around the rides. Just... interesting.

So perhaps it's 10 years too late, but I just want to ask them "What happened?" I understand it's important to do something that hasn't been done before, but surely they could have kept some sort of commitment to realism?

What do you guys think?

SCR7.thumb.jpg.b6e81ef91fce32a5ae259f48a4c65894.jpg

What?

SCR6.thumb.jpg.f93ebfc34c5d84cd026ed211f799fe2a.jpg

Huh?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that the RCT series in general was unrealistic in every game, but it's all we had as a coaster community. I enjoyed the realism of the original RCT series, but RCT2 had so many more possibilities. RCT3 sort of combined the two, but if you didn't like the generic rides, you were kind of screwed. Then there's Theme Park Studio which allows for the possibilities but not money management. I actually wish that I could get a refund on that game. I believe that a game cannot truly be perfect as there's so much more that goes unseen. No game has shown the costs of electricity, taxes, etc., or even the cost of general maintenance and upkeep of the rides.

I think that rct3 was pretty realistic for the most part and the expansions made sense at least. Water parks and animals exist in real amusement parks. I agree the rct2 expansions didn't make since, time periods and continents of the world don't really fit.

What annoyed me was there were no new rides. Just reskins. Amazing Earl did a better job at making new stuff than the actual game makers. I think by then Chris Sawyer had ended his work on the series, which is why the expansions packs added little.

Soaked and Wild definitely went back to the true meaning of an "expansion pack". Adding totally new things. For Soaked, we got something that has been requested for a long time since RCT2 was released, realistic water slides. Wild added lots of good flats and new coaster designs like the "Intamin" splitting coaster and the ZacSpin, but if you want to manage a zoo, buy ZooTycoon. It's much more realistic than what we got in Wild.

You're better off just deleting Wacky Worlds and Time Twisters. They were both complete crap... the RCT community has added so many great objects to RCT2 and they're all much better than anything in either expansion pack.

I think that the RCT series in general was unrealistic in every game

RCT3 was pretty unrealistic, but RCT2 can be very realistic with all of the custom rides and objects we have now. Just look at some of the recent work coming out from the RCT community. If you're willing to dedicate enough time to the game you can make some ridiculous things.

Starpointe by Pacificoaster (link to TPR thread)

Thorpe Park by Airtime (over at New Element)

Yeah I agree with Coasterbill! I thought I would make it out of anything, but the way the objects in TT, & WW is unusual, & in the scenario editor where you go to the small scenery, & won't scroll down, It's just a bunch of worthless crap, & I'm glad that I just have RCT2 original!

You're better off just deleting Wacky Worlds and Time Twisters. They were both complete crap... the RCT community has added so many great objects to RCT2 and they're all much better than anything in either expansion pack.

I think that the RCT series in general was unrealistic in every game

RCT3 was pretty unrealistic, but RCT2 can be very realistic with all of the custom rides and objects we have now. Just look at some of the recent work coming out from the RCT community. If you're willing to dedicate enough time to the game you can make some ridiculous things.

Starpointe by Pacificoaster (link to TPR thread)

Thorpe Park by Airtime (over at New Element)

RCT3 Unrealistic? I beg to differ. Look at some of the work here, look at Coasterdude5's works. If that's not realistic then I don't know what is. Yes, it's not as realistic as Theme Park Studio or the No Limits series, but compared to Bullfrog's Sim Theme Park and Sim Coaster, RCT3 is DEFINITELY realistic.

Well if you think about it the main reason for the cheapness of rides in rct3 is because the amount of guests is still realistic, and then that means that you'd literally have to wait in your park for up to a year irl to get a new ride.

Coasterdude5's works. If that's not realistic then I don't know what is.

Oh believe me I have and I'm a big, big fan. His work is as realistic as you can get with RCT3 but I think RCT2 is much, much more realistic and much more fun to play. With RCT3 you need to take pictures from very specific angles for them to look right, and usually photoshop is a must. No RCT game was ever known for it's transitions but if you play RCT2 properly they look pretty smooth where in RCT3 they always look amazingly jerky when you're using the coaster building tool that comes with the game.

It's a matter of preference I guess but I think RCT2 is the better game. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate good RCT3 work though.

Coasterdude5's works. If that's not realistic then I don't know what is.

Oh believe me I have and I'm a big, big fan. His work is as realistic as you can get with RCT3 but I think RCT2 is much, much more realistic and much more fun to play. With RCT3 you need to take pictures from very specific angles for them to look right, and usually photoshop is a must. No RCT game was ever known for it's transitions but if you play RCT2 properly they look pretty smooth where in RCT3 they always look amazingly jerky when you're using the coaster building tool that comes with the game.

It's a matter of preference I guess but I think RCT2 is the better game. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate good RCT3 work though.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the parks that some people have made with RCT2, but for some reason after playing RCT3, I could not get used to the Isometric 2.5D view. I much prefer the full 3D now.