TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[Photo TR] Gondolania Entertainment Center in Doha, Qatar

I recently went on a performance tour of Africa and Asia with my collegiate music group. On one of our off days in Qatar, a lot of us went to the Villaggio Mall just to walk around. The mall has an ice skating rink, a bowling alley, indoor gondolas, and — much to my enjoyment — an indoor theme park! There were a few rides including a ferris wheel, log flume, and roller coaster.

Honestly, for something that traveled maybe 40 feet in the air, this wasn't horrible. If you look past the (completely predictable) roughness of this thing (we all threw up a couple of curse words during the ride), there's a helix with some nice G-forces, and hey, the second drop gives some decent ejector airtime. That's definitely the best moment of the ride, and after riding it, I almost felt sadistic enough to want to experience that moment again. Well, fortunately for us, the ride operator literally sent the train through the circuit a second time, without stopping it at the station and without asking us for input. Hey, I guess we got our money's worth (the ride ticket is $8)?

To give a bit of context on the Gondolania Entertainment Center, the amusement park had a good number of people in there due to its arcade, go-karts, trampoline attraction, and children's playplace. However, we may have been the only people all day to ride the roller coaster. I guess the local Qataris know better than we do.

IMAG0374.thumb.jpg.0d4b0a37549b890ab4de1191ac027bc6.jpg

Entering the park..."oh crap, there's a roller coaster in here."

IMAG0375.thumb.jpg.045088e9e3f3304e51040441304c95ca.jpg

The hill of surprising ejector airtime.

IMAG0378.thumb.jpg.b08074e5d6bb7adba53043624e7b7da5.jpg

A handchopper tunnel.

IMAG0380.thumb.jpg.64ca43b1d68b91573bc091948d70df69.jpg

The cars are spinning cars that don't actually spin. Also, notice that the ride has over-the-shoulder restraints. That's when you know it's going to be rough...

IMAG0371.thumb.jpg.9b40f017d7d58b95354d218c920713dc.jpg

The indoor gondola.

IMAG0365.thumb.jpg.3d13ed6fe12fca3b9190dcd27041b0d0.jpg

The decor of the Villaggio Mall is meant to make you feel like you're walking outside.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images