TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mean Streak. What to do with it?

What to do with Mean Streak...  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Mean Streak...

• Keep it. I like it the way it is.
    • I like it but they should do some more retracking.
    • I don't mind it but they should keep it.
    • I like it but I wouldn't be upset if they RMC'd it or removed it
    • RMC hybrid it!
    • Replace it with a superior woodie or another type of coaster
    • They should remove it and I don't care what they put in its place
    • I don't care what they do with it.

I'm honestly surprised how many people have stated in this thread they don't care how many wooden coasters CP has. You can say what does it matter what it's made out of as long as it's a good ride, and you'd have a point, if steel and wood coasters offered exactly the same experiences. A park on the level of CP should strive to have as diverse a coaster line-up as possible. Having one wooden coaster and 16 steel would be ridiculous, of course they should build another quality wooden coaster, if not in Mean Streak's spot then somewhere else. It's not arbitrary, wooden coasters offer a unique thrill that many of us happen to like.

Exactly! It's hard to say CP is the absolute best when their wood coaster lineup is seriously lacking. That's why I'm completely against I-BOX but I'd be down for Topper Track, but really In my opinion I really just want it torn down and a new wooden coaster built.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A park on the level of CP should strive to have as diverse a coaster line-up as possible.

Classic Wood Coaster

Arrow Mine Train

Classic Arrow Looper

State-of-the-art B&W wing coaster

Hybrid Arrow racing coaster (once the tallest coaster in the world).

Arrow suspended coaster

Arrow hypercoaster (once the tallest coaster in the world and the world's first hypercoaster)

B&M Stand-Up-Coaster

Intamin Airtime machine with a lift / launch and beyond vertical drop

A huge wood coaster

An Intamin giga coaster consistantly voted the #1 steel coaster in the world by the Golden Ticket awards (yeah I know but that's still impressive... once the tallest coaster in the world and the world's first giga coaster)

B&M Inverted coaster

A huge 120 MPH strata coaster (once the tallest coaster in the world and the world's first strata coaster)

The world's tallest Intamin Impulse coaster

A Vekoma family coaster

A classic Kiddie coaster (I believe this was Intamin's first coaster)

Let's not get into a debate about what park has the best coasters, but as far as "coaster diversity" goes please enlighten us as to what park has a more diverse coaster collection than Cedar Point who now has 16 coasters (or 17 if you're a whore who counts Gemeni twice, lol). Magic Mountain is out of the question given your criteria because they'll be down to one wood coaster soon. Maybe Canada's wonderland? If you count the family coaster they have 3 wood coasters to go along with their SLC, Volare and Togo Stand Up. They also have 2 B&M megacoasters so that's not very "diverse". Great Adventure only has one wood coaster so they're out... I'm lost on this one.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy and claim that Cedar Point has the best coasters because I'm not doing that, but complaining that Cedar Point doesn't have a diverse enough coaster collection for you just makes you look insane.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy and claim that Cedar Point has the best coasters because I'm not doing that, but complaining that Cedar Point doesn't have a diverse enough coaster collection for you just makes you look insane.

You're obviously correct in your assertions. I think a better way to put it is that a park like CP, which aims to be the premier coaster park in the world, should have a top-of-the-line woodie. The best coaster park in the world is going to cater to enthusiasts as well as the GP, and most enthusiasts love wooden rides.

If CP decides to build a record breaking wooden coaster it's almost guaranteed to be a hit, given that the only companies that manufacture them also produce very intense experiences. I would find it hard to believe that even if they decided not to go with RMC, TGG, GCI, or Intamin wouldn't provide a mind-blowing ride, given that almost all of those company's designs are very intense for their size, regardless of how big they actually are.

This discussion has been going on for well over a decade now, and I'm sure upper management at CP is aware of it. Most of us feel that the time is almost certainly near for the park to act and give us enthusiasts the ride we've been waiting for. And yes, it is a good decision for a park to cater to enthusiasts because it's not too often that you here of a high-ranking coaster of any type not being a tremendous hit with the GP as well.

This discussion has been going on for well over a decade now, and I'm sure upper management at CP is aware of it. Most of us feel that the time is almost certainly near for the park to act and give us enthusiasts the ride we've been waiting for. And yes, it is a good decision for a park to cater to enthusiasts because it's not too often that you here of a high-ranking coaster of any type not being a tremendous hit with the GP as well.

We might have to file this somewhere between "they don't care" and "they don't have to." Fact is (as much as I disagree with it) 99.99% of people who walk through the pearly Gatekeeper gates of Cedar Point really do think it is the best collection of roller coasters in the world. So, if they think they are the best, then the park is the best to all those people. That's a lot of people. We're the minority in this situation.

I didn't go to Cedar Point for 10 years (2001-2011). I was just "over it." After that long break, it was fun to get back. It may be the "worlds largest collection of mediocre rides," but they're still fun. The operation is the best of any big thrill park I've ever been to (well, except we used to do over 1,200 pph on Blue Streak when it was still classic, but I digress.) You hardly ever have to worry about rides being open, how many trains are being used, the dispatch times, or general disorganization (like you do at other big corporate parks.)

Even the parks we really criticize (like SFA for example) we still manage to have fun there. Even if it's just for 90 minutes while traveling between other parks

^largest collection of mediocre rides..? I get that we all have our preferences but you have to admit that by design Cedar Point has some fantastic rides. Even then you cant deny their impact on the industry, with their several "world's firsts".

Bringing that back to the topic at hand, I think the whole "a park needa x amount of wood coasters" to be kind of silly, because the woodies built nowadays are made to be like steel coasters. Theyre made to have inversions, be silky smooth, etc. Yes, classic woodies are a great experience but Cedar Point cant go back in time and retain their oldies. I dont see what the difference between an RMC like Outlaw Run (wood) or NTAG (steel) really is in terms of actual ride experience. As long as the wood aesthetic is still there the park will appear balanced. But I wont think of Cedar Point as being a lesser park because they replaced a mediocre wooden roller coaster with a fantastic hybrid.

^They certainly are an annoyance but I find leaning forward into the harness and taking your neck/head out of harms way does the trick. I've also ridden the thing well over a hundred times and can brace my body for the elements in my sleep.

That said, your point is valid. You shouldn't have to develop a riding technique to properly enjoy a ride and it would be nearly perfect with MF/Top Thrill Dragster style lap restraints.

^I would like to have a word with Maverick... and maybe a couple hours with an Allen Wrench to remove those awful neck jabbers

I never had an issue with the restraints on Maverick, but I wouldn't mind if they started using I305-type restraints on the ride.

I would be perfectly fine with them replacing the harnesses to the strap ones (like I305). Even that would be a significant improvement. With all of those sudden turns and "whips", I believe they want harnesses to keep the upper body upright.

But back on topic, I think Cedar Point should re-invent the ride with the Iron Box. Make the lift steeper, thus the ride taller and faster. Add inversions, over banks, and airtime. It could set the height, speed, inversion, and length record for hybrid coasters (or, if they use topper track, it could set the height, speed, and inversion record for wooden coasters).

I was up at the Point last Thursday and took a spin on Mean Streak. It was actually running pretty good (though I did have my back away from the seat back) plus I got the bonus of being stuck on the brake run for about ten minutes due to mechanical reasons.

Just not the best of any category. I'm hoping they do eventually do something crazy and world-class with Mean Streak. The potential is there, big time.

I agree. The large footprint of the ride could result in something amazing. Get RMC to make a wooden version of Maverick with topper track.

Dunno if it had anything to do with riding Hades 360 two days before, but I rode Mean Streak a good three times while I was there with two of them being in the back or close to the back and I didn't think the ride was horribly rough minus a small portion just before the MCBR. If anything the rest of the ride seemed like not much really happened.

Tear it down? Nope, but at least keep on maintaining it to getting Rocky Mtn. in to redo the layout wouldn't hurt. I'm going back next month so we'll see if my attitude changes about it.

Mean Streak is a beautiful ride, but the ride experience is lacking. It's boring, but at least the recent track work made it a tolerable ride. The only good thing I have to say about Mean Streak is that you get a good sense of speed. Cedar Point needs a great wooden coaster and I think Mean Streak could fill that spot. That means RMC will have to change the layout and use topper track. I think this would easily turn Mean Streak into a top 5 wooden coaster.

I would also be happy if Mean Streak was replaced with an Intamin pre fab airtime machine. I'm a huge Intamin fan so I like this idea more. I can only imagine what Intamin could build on that huge plot of land . This must happen!

Mean Streak is a beautiful ride, but the ride experience is lacking. It's boring, but at least the recent track work made it a tolerable ride. The only good thing I have to say about Mean Streak is that you get a good sense of speed. Cedar Point needs a great wooden coaster and I think Mean Streak could fill that spot. That means RMC will have to change the layout and use topper track. I think this would easily turn Mean Streak into a top 5 wooden coaster.

I would also be happy if Mean Streak was replaced with an Intamin pre fab airtime machine. I'm a huge Intamin fan so I like this idea more. I can only imagine what Intamin could build on that huge plot of land . This must happen!

Cedar Fair hasn't order a coaster from Intamin in 4 years.

Tony Clark, Director of Communcations at Cedar Point, tweeted out a picture on Sunday of some wood. Then yesterday, Brad Thomas, the general manager at Silver Dollar City was at Cedar Point. Could it mean that Cedar Point is adding a RMC woodie next year? The only reason in my mind the GM of a small park would come to CP is to persuade them to add a ride the big park doesn't have, in this case, a RMC woodie.

I think it could be steepest drop, fastest, and tallest woodie in the world.

Bq1gyGHCMAEev1o.thumb.jpg.092fa5dfccc33208bdb90b81594a89a1.jpg

Tony Clark, Director of Communcations at Cedar Point, tweeted out a picture on Sunday of some wood. Then yesterday, Brad Thomas, the general manager at Silver Dollar City was at Cedar Point.

I think it could be steepest drop, fastest, and tallest woodie in the world.

Aren't we jumping the gun just a little bit? That's quite the leap. lol

^I think the biggest jump would be from that information to a RMC because, if it really were one, I guess tallest and fastest wouldn't be so unlikely. (or at least I'm hoping so )