TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Scandi Trip 2014 Mini Updates!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's update wraps up the 2014 Scandi Trip, Linnanmaki!

Hope you have enjoyed following along. Now on to the photos!

BrOARAyCIAANR_z.jpg:large

Our day at Linnanmaki starts with a ride on their classic Scenic Railway coaster!

BrOAa9RCQAIyije.jpg:large

There are some SERIOUS moments of airtime on Linnanmaki's wooden roller coaster!

BrOObcxCcAA0egD.jpg:large

To give you an idea of how much airtime the Scenic Railway has, here's a before and during airtime pic!

BrOa6IXCMAACtqO.jpg:large

We have 5 rides for ERT open including unbalanced Kirnu rides!

BrOwpZrCQAAng-5.jpg:large

Getting prepared for one of the wettest water coasters ever created!

BrOw5wxCcAAXjL8.jpg:large

You don't just ride Vonkaputous, you survive it!!!

BrOw-KrCcAAjvhU.jpg:large

Somewhere under all that water is a boat!

BrOxrisCEAAnvVl.jpg:large

Good luck guys... You'll need it!

BrPHNV5IMAA0xr9.jpg:large

Garbles loves powered coasters!

BrPHXR3IgAE125Y.jpg:large

Beautiful weather and fun rides at Linnanmakifi close out the TPR Scandi Tour!

BrPHdQXIYAEMNLT.jpg:large

We all know what a female peacock is, right?

BrPHvGnIMAIrOTd.jpg:large

This Huss Booster was insane! I think I flipped about 20 times on it!!!

BrPIC6DCMAA2wI2.jpg:large

How is it that Finland has TWO "Mach Towers" that see to work just fine?

BrPIKsNCEAAd91a.jpg:large

Pretty sure these rides should be illegal is most states!

BrPIS-7CUAE4zBC.jpg:large

Garbles = Airless Void.

BrPIb-rCUAEKpar.jpg:large

We have cow!

BrPIkOQCAAECqHM.jpg:large

Yes, we are all riding the "egg ride".

BrPItcGCQAAxCNq.jpg:large

Elissa and KidTums in the front of the mine train powered coaster!

BrPI8X2CQAAZ0Nt.jpg:large

Photos from the top of a Sky Loop are always a crowd pleaser!

BrPJBmKCUAEiG5j.jpg:large

"I am holding up this monorail track with my little finger."

BrPJPY7CIAEUQeR.jpg:large

I don't know why, but I found the name "funky kitchen" to be pretty awesome.

BrPJkhyCIAAIcbE.jpg:large

Some of the bathrooms at at Linnanmaki were... Um... Interesting??

BrPJ6KACcAAWFkn.jpg:large

The spinning coaster was fantastic! One of the larger Maurer Sohne spinners I've been on!

BrPKQCrCIAA_1FC.jpg:large

I don't really "get" the whole E-Motion roller coaster concept. It never really seemed to work that well.

BrPKYFWCEAAVMMz.jpg:large

Our farewell dinner closed out the TPR Scandi Tour!

BrPKrZ8CEAAJHOd.jpg:large

Our visit to Linnanmaki wraps up the TPR Scandi Trip! Hope everyone enjoyed following along!

Edited by robbalvey

Has it been proven that a train full of heavy riders increases the speed all-around?

We don't need no stinking science.

Blasphemy! You always need science!

Two trains of different weights but the same surface area perpendicular to the direction of travel going down the same drop will achieve the same speed. However, the train that is heavier will slow down more gradually, because the formula for drag force (the primary force that slows down coaster trains in warm weather*) is f = (0.5)(C_v)(rho)(A)(V^2), where C_v is the lumped drag coefficient and is determined by various atmospheric conditions, rho is the density of the air, A is the cross sectional area that is perpendicular to the air flow, and V is the velocity of the object; the value of an object's drag force is independent of its mass, so the same force attempting to slow down a larger mass will take longer to stop it.

*The viscosity of the lubricants typically used on roller coaster wheels are highly sensitive to temperature changes; the higher the temperature, the less viscous the fluid, and the less friction is experienced by the wheels. It's like the difference between using mineral oil and peanut butter as wheel grease, so that's why most coasters don't operate under 40 degrees or so, as the likelihood of stalling somewhere on the course increases dramatically.

BrOObcxCcAA0egD.jpg:large

To give you an idea of how much airtime the Scenic Railway has, here's a before and during airtime pic!

I can not get enough of this picture. It is really frightening how KidTums looks like she could fly off!

I must have been at Linnanmaki at a bad day for the wooden coaster as all rides were so slow I feared the coaster would go backwards and would be stuck any minute - and with no airtime at all. Maybe next time gets better but so far this coaster from experience was even more boring than Hochschaubahn at Vienna Prater - and that is a scenic railway with some small dips.

But loved the the SkyWheel, Booster and that insane water coaster...

That looks awesome! How does Kirnu compare to the Green Lantern or Insane?

I don´t know about Green Lantern, but I know Insane are bigger and taller.

Kirnu is a very, very short ride (but crazy fun)

I just visit Linnanmäk and Särkänniemi in the beginning of june and they are nice parks.

Has it been proven that a train full of heavy riders increases the speed all-around?

We don't need no stinking science.

Blasphemy! You always need science!

Two trains of different weights but the same surface area perpendicular to the direction of travel going down the same drop will achieve the same speed. However, the train that is heavier will slow down more gradually, because the formula for drag force (the primary force that slows down coaster trains in warm weather*) is f = (0.5)(C_v)(rho)(A)(V^2), where C_v is the lumped drag coefficient and is determined by various atmospheric conditions, rho is the density of the air, A is the cross sectional area that is perpendicular to the air flow, and V is the velocity of the object; the value of an object's drag force is independent of its mass, so the same force attempting to slow down a larger mass will take longer to stop it.

*The viscosity of the lubricants typically used on roller coaster wheels are highly sensitive to temperature changes; the higher the temperature, the less viscous the fluid, and the less friction is experienced by the wheels. It's like the difference between using mineral oil and peanut butter as wheel grease, so that's why most coasters don't operate under 40 degrees or so, as the likelihood of stalling somewhere on the course increases dramatically.

All I know is that every time... EVERY TIME we sent out the train with heavier riders it came back faster. We even tested the theory with a train full of our lightest riders and they had the slowest time of the night.

I don't need some "science crap" to tell me the train went faster with a heavier load.

Edited by robbalvey

This trip report has given me a whole new appreciation of Europe. Are US parks really so uptight about fun things that don't pose any danger for even slightly sensible people? I'm really glad that Europe isn't as sue happy as the USA seems to be. Honestly, the big bouncy things that you encountered in Sommerland Sjaelland and another park seem pretty harmless to me. Maybe I'm too European to see all the dangers everywhere

Anyhow, I really enjoyed reading this TR! Glad you guys had such an amazing and wonderful trip!

You guys really made a good impression to my co-workers at Linnanmäki! We had a blast during your ERT (I was at Kingi), especially the ones at Kirnu. They really got a good workout . Hopefully it was good for you too. I've never heard that Linnanmäki would have given this kind of ERT to anyone else yet. It's more popular to get the whole park open for a couple of hours rather than just the 'best' rides. And the weather couldn't have been better really, it seems mother nature herself wanted to give you guys a great finishing day, since today it poured the whole day and it was really cold (the park was dead, with rumors of only 300 guests).

Anyway thanks for coming to visit us! Now I'm just looking forward to official photo updates!

The pictures do not do the trip justice. The trip was even more EPIC than the pictures. This trip had stand out moments daily. To name just a few:

- Eclipse tower climb,

- Extreme ropes course,

- SCAD tower,

- TPR Grand Prix,

- Random ropes courses,

- Bouncy things of death,

- Liesberg,

- Grona Lund,

- Loads of incredible flats including free booster (at Power Park)

- and loads more.

Not to mention loads of ERT and BEER!!

A huge thanks to all the people I hung out with, the park staff and a bigger thanks to Robb and Elissa.

EPIC!!!!!!!

- James.