TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Scandi Trip 2014 Mini Updates!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow...I would have been shaking like a leaf on top of that Star Flyer, but I am sure that I would have tried it if given the opportunity.

This trip just looks too awesome...I will have to save and save for the next one. Europe is just so awesome - I would love to live there.

And congrats to the newly engaged couple...you couldn't have picked a more original place to propose!

As cruiseferries are a hobby of mine, I just have to comment here, even if it's a bit off-topic...

2. The ship you sailed with is actually, along with her sister ship, the first ship in the world to incorporate the promenade walkway in the middle of the ships. It's also the only two ships in the world who have the promenade walkway open all the way up and covered with a glass roof (I'm not sure if you noticed that). It's really fire dangerous, and they are operating on exemption and can never be sold or moved. None of the big cruisers in RCCL can have that (except of course the Oasis ship, but they are fully open).

The promenade concept was developed by Wärtsilä shipyards together with (the 80's) owners of Silja Line. Silja Serenade was the first ship in the world to have this innovation followed by its sister, Silja Symphony. There are some "prototype issues" with the design, which were modified in the later cruise ships and cruiseferries that used the same idea. Those glass windows is one such thing, which was by later maritime standards banned. It's a rather hypothetical risk really, as these ships have been sailing for a quarter of a century without any accidents. But for those who are into ships and ship design, these two are the original ones and for many (ship-nerdy) people worth a visit only because of that.

The ship is also, again along with her sister, two of the oldest ships operating between Sweden and Finland and Estonia. They are still by far the best and most unique. They were all built during the happy 80s when this area was like a middle Caribbean for us Scandinavian people. The came the 90s recession and all the ships suddenly got much more realistic (read boring).

Newer ship designs are not any more boring, if you pick a right ship to visit. Viking Line's Viking Grace is the world's first passenger ship (and by far the biggest ship) to use LNG fuel, which makes it interesting for those who care about such things. Even if that doesn't matter, it has a cool nightclub with enormous LED screen on stage and panorama windows showing the sea (and LNG tanks) in the aft, and a buffet covered with panorama windows (all of which are seriously absent from every Silja Line ship...).

It should also be mentioned that the new Grande Buffet (just renovated this spring) on Silja Serenade had much of its interior design copied from Viking Grace. It is seen by many as only a poor copy of the original design. Also, it seems that TPR liked the Silja buffet. Good for them. Personally, I never even think about Silja buffet, as it's just not worth of money. Viking buffet, on the other hand, is definitely worth the money, much more quality and much more choises.

OK, sorry about that. The ship geek got the better of me. Let's get back to coasters now.

We are live tweeting the entire trip! Follow us on Twitter @themeparkreview

Today's update! PowerPark!

[vine]

[/vine]

Riding Thunderbird at PowerPark and spreading some GCI love!

BrAIAA8CIAADjIg.jpg:large

It is currently 11:15pm here at Powerpark in Finland...but you'd never know it by looking outside!

BrCsvM5CUAAsSLe.jpg:large

The TPR Grand Prix is underway!

BrCyTERCQAAmz6-.jpg:large

Powerpark's karting track isn't your typical amusement park karts. These go 50MPH!

BrCy3u9IYAA7Cm4.jpg:large

Round 2 of the TPR Grand Prix at Powerpark ready to race!

BrDANJ5IMAAXM9j.jpg:large

KidTums cheering on Elissa in the background!

BrDCUwXCQAA0YQJ.jpg:large

The Powerpark karting track is huge. Over 1 kilometer and is used in the official Finland karting circuit!

BrDSf0RIIAAK8VK.jpg:large

Our top three TPR Grand Prix winners! Ben, Adrian, and Ruben! Congrats!

BrDiNLdIYAExiuA.jpg:large

And in true theme park marathon fashion, all TPR Grand Prix racers got a medal, regardless of how well they did!

BrDkLXWIEAIClq8.jpg:large

Like other medal wearers we went around with a pretentious attitude showing them off bragging about our achievement.

BrD5MDgIQAEKXHy.jpg:large

Of course, we all know who the real winner of the TPR Grand Prix is!

BrD5ddFCMAAPn64.jpg:large

With the TPR Grand Prix over, it was time to enjoy our visit to Powerpark.

BrD9mh-CEAA7Jot.jpg:large

PowerPark is home to one of the best GCI woodies - Thunderbird!

BrEKlSrIMAAl5IG.jpg:large

For a park in the middle of Finland, they sure do a really nice job of theming up their roller coasters!

BrELkeeIUAA2tTP.jpg:large

I was able to get up close & personal with this awesome GCI woodie to bring lots of photos & video to you!

BrEPiMZIIAAUKyT.jpg:large

You know... Just climbing around Thunderbird at Powerpark

BrEZUlsIcAIF7_S.jpg:large

Yes!!! House on a stick!!!

BrEZ0gnCYAEamWV.jpg:large

Yay! Powerpark has a Mach Tower that actually works!!!

BrEaFEYIIAAFogR.jpg:large

And not only does Powerpark have a Mach Tower that works but they operate it in two modes!!!

BrEbrIFIAAAgv3H.jpg:large

PowerPark also has one of these crazy Technical Park flat rides!

BrEcxXXIUAEY_Ve.jpg:large

Soupy and Garbles trying out the new log flume thingy at Powerpark.

BrEc-h8IIAAdQi6.jpg:large

Next to the log flume are markers for the launched Gerstlauer coaster the park is getting next year!

BrEmEMdIgAEDUUx.jpg:large

Hello Boomerang with weird Vekoma trains, how's it going?

BrEohaHCUAAmloO.jpg:large

Here's a close up of the TPR Grand Prix medals. We made sure to wear them ALL AROUND THE PARK!

BrFP2NqCQAAd7xH.jpg:large

This is not unfamiliar for Garbles.

BrFQKOpCAAEkQJg.jpg:large

On our last visit to PowerPark we set a TPR speed record on Thunderbird. Can we break it this year?

BrFQWK2CEAAJLFY.jpg:large

We need to break 41.83 seconds as our fastest lap time in 2009.

BrFQiVQIEAAKxDI.jpg:large

We started off not doing so well at around 44 seconds...

BrFQ2syIUAAVm9V.jpg:large

So we started to take some of our heaviest riders and assemble a "fat train" to beat the TPR speed record!

BrFRCZDIYAEKKgd.jpg:large

We did a bit better but we needed to send the train around more to warm it up!

BrFTxOwCcAA5y63.jpg:large

KidTums loves her GCI woodies!

BrFT81eCQAAP11T.jpg:large

We had two hours of ERT on Thunderbird so we had enough time to warm it up!

BrFUOTVIMAA2NVR.jpg:large

We sent out several fat trains, hands down, slouched or hunched over to be more aerodynamic.

BrFUiatIgAERbsT.jpg:large

"Ok, fat guys! Assume the position!!!"

BrFUwS4IgAAfz6P.jpg:large

We finally assembled the fattest train we could! Can we beat the record?

BrFU6PyIMAEqtrB.jpg:large

We came close, but not quite... I guess we need to get a bit heavier before our next visit!

BrFVhr-IgAAiVdP.jpg:large

Was a great time hanging out with Powerpark owner Vellu. Always great company!

BrFVyEfIcAENcPE.jpg:large

TPR had a great visit to Powerpark! Next time we will beat our speed record!

Edited by robbalvey

Has it been proven that a train full of heavy riders increases the speed all-around? I think it would be interesting to experiment with different weight distributions and see which one makes the ride fastest. Maybe Club TPR can start a theme park Mythbusters mini-show and test this idea out.

We are live tweeting the entire trip! Follow us on Twitter @themeparkreview

Today's update, Sarkanniemi!

BrIkr14CAAABSDI.jpg:large

Today, TPR is at Sarkanniemi in Tampere, Finland for some Intamin fun!

BrIlV9SCIAAJdyx.jpg:large

We are starting our morning at Sarkanniemi off on Tornado. An awesome Intamin inverted roller coaster.

BrIs6eeCcAAJ2Cz.jpg:large

I am taking a selfie with Ross because he's sexy!

BrItIcPCEAAwi6U.jpg:large

The day-glo orange train on Tornado might be my favorite coaster train ever!!!

BrIzdN7CYAECMty.jpg:large

Is there a train on the coaster? I can't tell...

BrIz31hCQAEYA0B.jpg:large

Tornado's awesome element is the inversion right above the station going trough the mountain! It's amazing!

BrI0JXNCAAAngsU.jpg:large

You can see where the track goes through the mountain in the aerial shot of the coaster.

BrJMTU3CIAE6i1I.jpg:large

Quite a few of our members did the speedboat ride. It looked pretty crazy and really wet!

BrJVioiCAAA1jUR.jpg:large

After our Tornado ERT we went over to Half Pipe for some more ride time

BrJQVWwCAAMj3PO.jpg:large

This was KidTums' first ever Disk-o "coaster" and she loved it!

BrJmw_3CAAAdjrQ.jpg:large

Are you guys ready to spin?

BrJnLiICEAA2mK-.jpg:large

We even tried to unbalance the ride to get it to spin more!

BrJnsItCcAAm8Fr.jpg:large

Next, we checked out the new Angry Birds Land. It was a really nice kids area!

BrJn_lkCUAA1In6.jpg:large

The new kids play area is themed to the structures in Angry Birds that you knock down.

BrJoI2-CcAIWKfK.jpg:large

And yes, there is a slingshot!

BrKIUleCIAAeSkI.jpg:large

KidTums had fun playing all the Angry Birds themed games.

BrKIcDBCcAAmxaj.jpg:large

And she won some very strange prizes!

BrKImE1CQAAAFE3.jpg:large

Damn, that Tornado train is just sexy!

BrKIqoFCYAEKTCI.jpg:large

Nice beaver!!!

BrKI---CUAAiG9S.jpg:large

Some of us did the log flume.

BrKJGDNCEAEN4R7.jpg:large

Apparently the log flume altered Craig & Garbles' life!

BrKJRenCUAAt7ka.jpg:large

We also checked out the dolphin show.

BrKJdnlCIAAJFg7.jpg:large

Yes, dolphins can play ball...

BrKJvVRCYAAZ8s5.jpg:large

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I think it's worth 2 Euros to find out!

BrKJ1uICEAAb4NW.jpg:large

LOOP PENETRATION!!!

BrKKD_OCcAAoUur.jpg:large

This character was at the entrance to the petting zoo. It's like something out of Animal Crossing!

BrKKtCICQAA0Omv.jpg:large

There is an iconic tower right in the middle of Sarkanniemi - Let's check it out!

BrKK0wKCUAEh9gO.jpg:large

The view of Tornado from the top of the tower.

BrKLCN-CMAATPUN.jpg:large

Here is the section of the park where the Schwarzkopf coaster used to be. There is a Power Surge there now.

BrKLY-hCMAAsa8M.jpg:large

The dolphin theater from the tower.

BrKLySnCYAA_7o4.jpg:large

Motocoaster and Angry Birds Land from the tower.

BrKMcSQCcAA6hwr.jpg:large

Tornado is such an awesome coaster! I feel it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

BrKMmbmCEAArMAY.jpg:large

We had a great visit to Sarkanniemi today! Look forward to getting back here soon!

Edited by ernierocker

Has it been proven that a train full of heavy riders increases the speed all-around?

It was proven in 2009! We don't need no stinking science. I'm a proud participant in the original fat train. So glad you did the Grand Prix again, still my alltime favorite TPR Trip moment.

Nice to hear tornado is a good ride. I don't know why but I had the idea that it was somewhat rough. Well, never mind.

Looks like fun

It's a lot of fun. I especially like the "underground" inversion.

To anyone who has also ridden the one in Spain (parque de atracciones de madrid), how do the two compare? Because I'm probably going to that one for the first time in August.