TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My First Ohio Trip!

Hello!

This year, my family and i have decided to finally go to ohio. Our trip will be laid out like this:

Monday June 16: Fly into Cincinnati and land around 5:15 or so. Drive up to Kings island to Process 2014 platinum pass.

Spend about 2 hours in park. 8p.m.-closing. Spend night at Great Wolf Lodge. (What rides should i do that night?? Beast for sure)

Tuesday June 17: Enter Kings Island early entry. (30 min or 60 min early?) stay at park until closing. We will have Fast Lane

Plus.

Wednesday June 18: In morning go to Great Wolf water park for about 90 minutes. Drive through columbus. (anyone have any tips on what to do there?) Check into to Hotel Breakers. Go into Cedar Point about 8:30 P.M. Will attend Dragster ERT that night! (If Dragster is closed, does CP open a different ride for ERT??)

Thursday June 19: Early entry. Planning on doing Maverick for an hour. Stay at CP until closing. We will all have Fast Lane Plus.

Friday June 20: Early Entry. (What other ride besides Maverick takes time with Fast Lane Plus??) Stay at CP until Closing. Will have Fast Lane Plus. (I will also be getting my #100 credit this day. I was thinking Millennium. Any suggestions??)

Saturday June 21: Drive up to University of Michigan and get tour. Spend night in Cleveland.

Sunday June 22: Fly out of Cleveland.

My questions are in Blue

Feedback is very well appreciated!!!

I will post TR's of my days after the trip.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beast for sure definitely that night. Banshee is also a great night ride.

I believe early entry at KI is 30 min and Banshee is the only coaster open early this year.

You could check out Columbus Zoo while you're in the area. There's a credit there!

Yes if Dragster is closed they will replace it with another ride for ERT. The usual replacement for Dragster is Millennium Force.

I personally think Maverick is the only ride that sucks to wait for at CP, and MF is great for a 100th credit.

Feel free to ask any other questions and enjoy your time in Ohio!

Depends for the maximum amount of rides on Maverick enter through the resort gate as its closer to the ride. (Which I think you will be since you're staying at the Breakers) Usually during early entry everyone goes to Millennium first then works their way back to Maverick. My best guess would be about four to five rides on Maverick before lines start getting long if that's the only ride you're targeting for early entry.

My thoughts on Mavrick and fast pass +. If you go for early entry and then do dragster for night ert you may as well just get the normal fast pass one of the days. since they are the rides that are for plus. IF you hit Mavrick first you could get 5 or so ride if you leave mavrick right about 9:45 and walk to dragster you could get in line at 10 and get a short wait. You may as well try for a front raw ride at that point. YOu can stop by the columnbus zoo on your way from Kings Island to Cedar point. It would be about 20 minutes out of the way.

Honestly with Fastlane Plus you'll have no problem doing everything you want to do. Just remember that the Bat at Kings Island doesn't have Fastlane so plan for that, but it's a great ride and worth waiting for.

Have a great time!

Great Wolf Lodge's waterpark at KI is amazing. Definitely ride all their slides, especially the water coaster. Oh and I did ERT at KI this morning. It's only Banshee, but I did get 3 rides. Don't bother with Columbus, you are too young to do stuff there. At least that I would recommend.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was wondering what rides at these parks have the enthusiast proclaimed magic seat???

The only one I can tell you that I am aware of is 5-1 on Vortex at KI. Car 5 Row 1, it is the car/seat that the entire ride was designed around.

quote="PrismTx"]

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was wondering what rides at these parks have the enthusiast proclaimed magic seat???

The only one I can tell you that I am aware of is 5-1 on Vortex at KI. Car 5 Row 1, it is the car/seat that the entire ride was designed around.

Never knew that. Are all old Arrow loopers designed around this row?

Enthusiasts love car 1, row 3 on Magnum. It is nicknamed the "ejector seat." I personally notice little difference from the front row, but it is worth a try. Note that this is NOT a magic seat as much as an intensity seat - it is likely more painful than some other seats due to the combination of intense airtime and a rather primitive lapbar that gives some people bruises.

If you're driving from Cincinnati to Cedar Point, I'm not sure going through Columbus is actually the fastest way even though Google Maps will tell you it is. A good portion isn't highway that way and you'd be traveling through small towns with stoplights and such at various points. Just something to think about.

At Cedar Point, Magnum's best seat is car 1, row 3. Try Millennium Force in the front and back. Maverick's first drop is great in the back. Wicked Twister is a back seat ride in my opinion. The back spike is great twisting that high in reverse.

At Kings Island I'd say ride Diamondback in the front seat. The extra sensation of speed helps enhance the sustained floater airtime on the outbound hills.

I can give you some tips about CP - been to KI a few times but not enough to offer a good game plan or magic seats. Though Banshee front is obviously a must do.

Have to do front row of TTD - to me any other row is about the same experience. MF - another front seat must do (do during day to really experience that drop - also lots of bugs at night) - I prefer the back row otherwise. I thing I've read that car 5-1 is the airtime seat - but I don't think so - just depends when you ride and how it's running. It is faster at night after getting warmed up vs. the early morning rides.

GateKeeper - I like front right and back left - again anything in-between seems about the same to me. It's not a very forceful ride - except that first flip from the back left row - the views from the front are nice and there seem to be more near miss elements on the right.

I like Wicker Twister in the back few rows.

Raptor - front usually for me - same w. Mantis.

Blue Streak - just pick a center seat w.out wheels and it is a fun ride - any other seat can be jarring.

Magnum - front is always fun - I usually go towards the back rows. I like this ride at night - nice and dark back towards the beach.

Maverick - I usually wait for and prefer the front. Back is good for a nice whip over the first drop. It seems to be running really fast this year - the LIM launches seem stronger. Makes for some nice airtime pops - but also some head banging turns.

Mean Streak - front is ok - no really great seats.

Mine Ride / Corkscrew / Gemini / Iron Dragon - doesn't matter where you sit.

Don't forget WoodStock Express and Wilderness Run if you need the credits -

Also checkout PipeScream - it is more forceful than the one at Kings Island - actually a pretty fun ride.

You have a pretty solid plan - though also don't see the need to go through Columbus to get to CP. If you have FLP for 2 days, early entry and ERT on TTD - you should get a lot of rides in - barring weather or mechanical issues of course. I'd break up the days with some time at Soak City or the beach - it's a nice break from the park. Even a quick dip in the Breaker's pool I find nice.

Also some of the must do flats are Power Tower - both drop and shot, Max Air and SkyHawk. These are all great thrill rides.

Also don't forget to ride the train full circuit, ride the "buckets" and Giant Wheel, stop by the Barnyard to see the evil turkey and the cute piglets, maybe checkout Luminosity.

Also follow @TonyClarkCP - he runs their social media and does tweetups in the park for various prizes - the nice one this year is the 50th Anniversary Blue Streak commemorative coin.

Edited by Jantzen73

Top Thrill Dragster needs to be ridden in the front row.

My suggestion is to ride it at least twice though, first get in the shortest line. It's an unreliable piece of crap so it would be a shame to miss the credit because you were waiting for the front. Then later wait for the front... it's SO worth the extra hour.

Ride Raptor in the front too, it's a great ride and waiting for the front only adds 5 minutes to your wait.

Oh... and I almost forgot. Cedar Point operates the Sky Ride like it's an olympic sport. It's amazing how fast they catch, load and dispatch cars and they run a ton of them at a time. Because of this I suggest riding this whenever possible because the wait is never more than 5 minutes even if the ramp is full, it offers a great view and your legs will thank you later. The train is a great transportation ride too but it requires a little more of a time investment than the Skyride. Seriously... the Skyride is your friend.

My suggestion is to ride it at least twice though, first get in the shortest line. It's an unreliable piece of crap so it would be a shame to miss the credit because you were waiting for the front. Then later wait for the front... it's SO worth the extra hour.

Interesting suggestion. Makes sense. I imagine how bad it would feel if you didn't get to ride it because you were waiting for a particular seat.

However, like you said, it has to be ridden in the front: it's a completely different experience even it it was just because of the wind on your face.

If you're driving from Cincinnati to Cedar Point, I'm not sure going through Columbus is actually the fastest way even though Google Maps will tell you it is. A good portion isn't highway that way and you'd be traveling through small towns with stoplights and such at various points. Just something to think about.

When I made the trip between KI and CP, I just took I-71 up to Mansfield and picked up Route 250 up to Sandusky. It takes almost the exact same time as it would to take I-75 to Toledo since most of 250 is 55mph, and you avoid the turnpike toll too. I think we were on the road for just under four hours.But obviously if you don't want to drive through random towns, there are other ways to get up to Sandusky. I just like travelling in as straight a line as possible when I go places.

thanks and good to know about Columbus. Im gonna try to do all the magic seats but on my first rides on the coasters I'm doing front.

Also, on Power Tower at Cedar Point, do they normally operate both types of the ride???

They usually operate both kinds, but the red (shot) side is less busy and therefore, only one red tower is operated while both green (drop) towers are operated. The exception is busy days, I imagine. Neither side usually has a massive line.