TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Where should we eat at these Penn. Parks?

Ok. . so our big 10th Anniversary trip starts Monday!

We have no current dining plans (except that we are planning for one evening meal at Hershey Lodge, as we've been told the food onsite is good).

and I know for sure that at Kennywood we need to get something from the Potato Patch.

but what are the Recommended places to eat in the parks?

we tend to be "foodies" so something other than Pizza/Burger would be good, and something local to Penn. would be awesome.

We're going in knowing that Knobel's in particular is known for it's food.

so . . . any suggestions?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At knoebels anywhere for food is good. I haven't had a bad food item there. and that's going for over 10 years now. Fun items are pickle on a stick, taco in a bag (fritos with taco fixin's in it), apple cider slushies, kettle corn, etc. Go into knoebels with empty stomachs, you'll leave having eaten a lot of awesome things.

At knoebels anywhere for food is good. I haven't had a bad food item there. and that's going for over 10 years now. Fun items are pickle on a stick, taco in a bag (fritos with taco fixin's in it), apple cider slushies, kettle corn, etc. Go into knoebels with empty stomachs, you'll leave having eaten a lot of awesome things.

We're planning an evening sojourn to the park after checking into our hotel (about 25 minutes away), and then full day the next day (Saturday).

I expect most of the eating will happen on Saturday -- same day we're gonna ride a lot of things (so yeah, not a GREAT plan. . LOL). . but hey, there's always time to digest while playing Fascination)

Dorney - no comment

Kennywood - Fresh Squeezed lemonade, Potato Patch Fries

Knoebels - Such variety, enter the park on an empty stomach. I'm sure the foods Nicole mentioned are cool, but most are not to my liking, except the kettle corn. And that's the great thing about Knoebels food.

My favorites. Fried Cheese on a Stick (It's a corndog with mozzarella cheese instead of the hot dog) and Corn Nuggets from Totem Snacks. I think Totem Snacks is the only stand that has blue birch beer. Fried Pierogies from the stand near the Haunted Mansion. Bison Burger from the International Food Court. Frozen Sweet Tea (I think the name of the stand is Kandy Korner).

But my absolute favorite is getting to the park early and eating breakfast in the food court, great homemade french toast. great because you don't have to clean up the mess.

Dorney - no comment

Eat outside of the park.

I don't think we're gonna have that option, unfortunately.

we're driving from Knobel's on Sunday direct to Philadelphia Hotel, then on Monday, driving to Allentown from Philly to spend the day at Dorney - so I expect we'll be at Dorney by 10am, and stay until closing at 8, since we drive back to the Philly hotel that night.

so a bit too early to eat on the way there, and too late to eat on way back. So we're gonna have to grab something in the park.

is there any "least worst" options you know of?

There is a McDonalds across the street from Dorney. Seriously, the food there is not good. Get a hand stamp, eat and go back in. The Hersheypark food is kind of meh, I can't think of one place in particular there to eat, though Spring Creek Smokehouse isn't bad (when it's not crowded) and Gourmet Grille and Overlook Food Court up by the Kissing Tower aren't bad either.

Kennywood: Potato Patch, of course. I highly recommend the pepperoni rolls from the Pizza Pavilion in Lost Kennywood...nobody ever talks about them but I think they're delicious. Deep-fried Oreos are also really good, and if you're still hungry, we've got good Philly cheesesteaks at the Midway stand and hot sausage at the Pagoda.

Hersheypark: The Spring Creek Smokehouse is expensive, but has some pretty good food. Also, there's a new Chickie's and Pete's stand in Midway America which I must recommend.

Dorney Park: Chickie's and Pete's. Other than that...it's pretty standard CF food fare. C&P, plain and simple. Loved it and highly recommend it.

Knoebels: Eat wherever you want and enjoy your awesome food. My personal favorites are the cheese on a stick from Totem Treats and the Sicilian pizza at Cesari's. I'd be here all night if I mentioned everything I have tried and enjoyed at the park, though.

The best food at Dorney is probably Chickie's and Pete's. Dorney has 2 locations, a full service restaurant near Wild Mouse and a counter service location near the Sea Dragon.

Chickie and Pete's is the best addition to Dorney since H̶y̶d̶r̶a̶ ever. Those Crab Fries are amazing... I actually prefer the sit down restaurant near Hydra but if you're in a time crunch then the counter service location is the way to go.

thanks again all for the awesome suggestions!

I Googled "Chickie and Petes" and it appears the one ya'll are saying to go to in Dorney is the "Sportsbar" one.

I'm not sure what crabbiefries are.. but they are touting them as good?

edit: and Coasterbill likes em. . ok, sold!

Edited by bert425

I forgot to give input on Hershey.

I really like the food at the Spring Creek Smokehouse and I'm a sucker for the Tumbleweed Tacos. As far as snacking, find the Smore's Cart in Founders Way and don't forget the incredible dessert offerings available at the Chocolate World Food Court.

The York Peppermint Patty Smore at Hershey is delicious, but it's so freakin' rich it can make you ill. There are plenty of goodies in Hershey's Chocolate World, too.

Kennywood: Parkside Cafe can be hit or miss, but if not, do The Potato Patch for their fries.

Hersheypark: Spring Creek Smokehouse is the best place to eat inside the park. For an entree, two sides, and a medium drink for $15 to $17 per person, it can be a little expensive, but there is a solution.

I would honestly purchase a meal ticket for $13.75 if you plan to eat there. You would get an entree, one side, and a souvenir drink cup included, but the park has other things listed on the ticket as well such as quesadillas, tacos, and chicken fingers and crab fries from Chickie's and Pete's.

Dorney: Speaking of Chickie's and Pete's, I would honestly eat there at this park if you want something different from the normal burgers and hot dog locations. Second would be Subway, which has a full-size location near Demon Drop, but instead of $5 foot-longs, try $10-$15 foot-longs.

There are plenty of food options a very brief drive from Dorney, with easy access back to the park. Besides the McDonalds across the street there is also a Carrabbas, Friendly's, Boston Market, and I believe a Japanese hibachi amongst others all within a mile.

Are you going to be hitting Lakemont and/or Idlewild? I wouldn't miss those for the world. They're not for everyone though; they're unique, quirky and have OLD charm. I'd personally skip Dorney completely, unless you need the "credits." The 2nd to last time I was there, I went after 6pm and spent most of my time on the Laser (which is gone now). The last time I went, I took a friend there for "credits" and she was done in under 90 minutes (and was mad we left Knoebels early for said credits).

You're going to have a great time with the food at Knoebels. 3 days there isn't enough time to try everything they have! It's fun stuff; not gourmet, but great and cheap for park food. "Don't miss the birch beer."

Kennywood is the next best with food. As someone mentioned Potato Patch... get em loaded with cheese and bacon!

Are you going to be hitting Lakemont and/or Idlewild? I wouldn't miss those for the world. They're not for everyone though; they're unique, quirky and have OLD charm. I'd personally skip Dorney completely, unless you need the "credits." The 2nd to last time I was there, I went after 6pm and spent most of my time on the Laser (which is gone now). The last time I went, I took a friend there for "credits" and she was done in under 90 minutes (and was mad we left Knoebels early for said credits).

You're going to have a great time with the food at Knoebels. 3 days there isn't enough time to try everything they have! It's fun stuff; not gourmet, but great and cheap for park food. "Don't miss the birch beer."

Kennywood is the next best with food. As someone mentioned Potato Patch... get em loaded with cheese and bacon!

We're not doing Lakemont or Idlewild, as we wanted a good mix of "classic" and "corporate" parks, and I had to factor in enough "down time" for my partner, so we don't wear him out.

(and just yesterday, got a WONDERFUL Pneumonia diagnosis from his Oncologist who immediately put him on two different antibiotics and wanted us to stop by for an X-ray on the way to the airport on Monday -- he said "hell no". . so the day after we get back, we go to the doctor. . . whee!).

anyways. . .. LOL. . yeah, I'm not a "credit" person, and neither of us are waterpark people. . so I don't think we'll need FULL day at Dorney, but we wanted to do it, as we drive to Allentown from Philly, so it's a nice drive and at worst, if we don't care for it, we'll head back to Philly for the evening.

the only real sucky part, is that Dorney considers "Senior" much higher than the other parks! So it's going to cost more for a park that everyone is warning us about. but we ARE going to be there on a Monday, so hoping it will be dead, and we can take our time and still get in everything I (and he) want to ride.

but sounds like we only have really one good food option inside the park.

how much is parking at Dorney?. . doesn't mention it anywhere on site!

I can totally understand that. I hope your partner has a great time on the trip! No getting worn out!

I dunno, but it's free at Idlewild and Lakemont Ok ok... I'm teasing.

Are you guys going to any more Cedar Fair parks this year? The platinum pass they offer ($165 when I got in back in 2011) is a good value if you're traveling to other parks, and includes parking at them all. You could also go to Dorney for the Starlight admission; it's $13 cheaper than a whole day and the park is always nicer later in the day (especially when the sun goes down!)

If you are eating at Dorney, take a look at their website; along with other CF parks they have a deal now where you can buy a meal pass for $30 that lets you get a meal (entree and side) every 90 minutes. If you're there all day, you can get a lot out of that $30. The food's not amazing, but it's not terrible either, and might be a halfway decent deal with that. I don't know for certain how good it is, or if it includes only certain food in the park, but it might be worth looking into anyway.

As far as the general dislike for Dorney...well, just don't let people turn you off to it before you even get there. It doesn't seem to be a very popular park, but I've very much enjoyed my last couple trips there. IMO, it's a well-kept, attractive park with low crowds and a lot of rides that might not be quite world class, but are more than worth making time for. Talon alone is definitely worth the trip.

$15 for regular, $25 for preferred. You are allowed to leave and re-enter the lot once with the receipt.

thanks!

we just might take up some of the suggestions and leave the park to eat (Sue's links sound YUMMY), and then go back in the afternoon. Just depends on how the day goes!

Edited by bert425