TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: My First Trip to Kennywood

In this past off season I've really embraced my coaster enthusiasm and have planned to go to seven parks I've never been to before this summer in addition to regular my regular Cedar Point & Kings Island trips. Kennywood was my first new park experience in 10 years.

Arriving at the park my friends & I were very surprised they had metal detectors at the front gate, do a lot of parks have this? Or is it just a Kennywood thing? Anyways, only one of the 4 of us had been to Kennywood before so it was a new experience for almost all of us. The landscaping was great and it was really awesome seeing multiple coasters utilize the terrain around the park. We got all of the coasters and big flats we wanted to to by 5. Then just took another trip around the park to do second trips on the most fun rides. Kennywood is a cool little park, now onto the coasters.

Lil' Phantom: rode it for the credit, both the ride ops couldn't stop chuckling, they both gave me a high five on my way out.

Exterminator: I had never ridden a wild mouse before, and I had a blast! The little small drops and the car spinning was just new exciting experience for me.

Thunderbolt: The lateral forces on the big turns were awesome, the rest of the ride didn't do that much for me.

Jack Rabbit: This coaster was all about the double dip, that was a lot of fun. But like Thunderbolt the rest of the coaster wasn't to memorable.

Sky Rocket: For my first ride I sat in the middle of the train, the forces going into and over the top hat are very strong there. It was a fun little coaster with a nice layout for the size

Racer: Now this coaster I had an absolute blast on! The layout was great, I actually love the color scheme, and giving high fives to riders in the train next to you is always fun. I think this coaster is really a hidden gem, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

Phantom's Revenge: We held off on riding this early in the day to make this my 50th credit. I went in with high expectations and it didn't disappoint! This coaster has some EXTREME ejector air time, the layout was really awesome with the second drop being the big one, and man that double dip towards the end was something else. Best coaster at Kennywood for sure and It just may have cracked my top 10 steel coasters!

Now for pictures.

IMG_0281.JPG.0df92d4aef4cbd9c155ecf33b6375b9b.JPG

Just arriving to the park, looking at my soon to be 50th credit

IMG_0282.JPG.6d6079073761506a3adf0dace71b65ed.JPG

I was also really excited for Sky Rocket.

IMG_0289.JPG.c46e4e65078b94efe142a352d1c72e5e.JPG

First thing we went to was Exterminator

IMG_0290.JPG.8caced8f74461c0c7cf65869a8bf634e.JPG

I actually like the theme in here.

IMG_0293.JPG.35a663ffe108c56ba06065edf93305c2.JPG

After Exterminator we took a spin on Wave Swinger

IMG_0295.JPG.33400e1def6af6b7e5db7c8571495dfe.JPG

And since we were right there we did Swing Shot next, I still haven't rode Skyhawk at my home park yet because I'm too focused on getting coasters in, but after this I'll definitely have to try the bigger one.

IMG_0301.JPG.f0c9af0244c428577f508cb66a18bade.JPG

We swung by kiddie land for me to get the Lil' Phantom credit

IMG_0302.JPG.2822b54e5b20e06a87e15a96b4d260bd.JPG

I had a blast!

IMG_0303.JPG.3538d606e6925b265e429d88221baac5.JPG

Next it was onto Racer!

IMG_0304.JPG.6090a7266a251f63dccf5f598901ed18.JPG

My friends had the hardest time figuring out that the reverse curve is how the trains switch sides each cycle.

IMG_0305.JPG.5384db1c9901da7902797b005ac426d5.JPG

I think I'm in the minority when I say I LOVE Racer's color scheme!

IMG_0312.JPG.d3fe44a472efd77b7535bb8aec5c5003.JPG

The double dip, best part of the ride.

IMG_0314.JPG.a304e2a8a720df9516f0620acc8b30a1.JPG

These were some of the most comfortable trains I've ever sat in.

IMG_0322.JPG.4f441cf636d935b7b570cbbcdb74e740.JPG

I loved how the queue for Sky Rocket went underneath the ride.

IMG_0325.JPG.9cd2e829225c3c5d099acbcb97238555.JPG

Now it was time for business, Into the Phantom's Revenge queue.

IMG_0359.JPG.ec96419a5ec6eeb217c95fc9423fe7b9.JPG

Credit #50!

IMG_0376.JPG.aae11a2eba1f778bfc434c6aab943c62.JPG

We also did Black Widow, somehow this ended up being the longest wait of the day over 1 hour!

IMG_0379.JPG.670b3459b28345abef7231db427f0df5.JPG

We then got to Thunderbolt!

IMG_0389.JPG.d4f75a3a202c0c3a5770d6350635c5fb.JPG

The crew members of this ride my be a little too laid relaxed for being at work.

IMG_0396.JPG.9ab5c5692fab709f72cc069b24e53aaf.JPG

Got a picture with the Kennywood arrow!

IMG_0413.JPG.970920b5f678eb5b09e99938c7ff5b80.JPG

Later in the day we realized we'd yet to take a group photo! My crew for the day!

IMG_0422.JPG.73af7a7f5cf2c40945a757b64160b5e3.JPG

It's great that even when you go up Phantom's lift hill, you can't see the bottom of the second drop.

IMG_0428.JPG.b5f8da0250ef11e235d269f4f1a65eb1.JPG

Took this on our way out the park, we had a great day!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy Kennywood, but hate getting to/from the park... Anytime we go to that place I swear we get the worst traffic possible. Aside from that though, it is a really nice park.

Phantom and Thunderbolt are both excellent rides... I agree with you on Jackrabbit, really nothing to it... I have not rode that in the past 2-3 trips we have been there the past few years.

I also think Racer is a simply beautiful ride. Love the color scheme! Reminds me of Beast a bit with that rosewood appearance (more vibrant though I think).

Nice TR!

Phantom's Revenge has been in my top ten since I first rode it. The ride looks like it couldn't possibly be anything but painful, yet it's amazing. That double down on Jack Rabbit is the single best bit of ejector air anywhere it you're riding in the backseat.

I enjoy Kennywood, but hate getting to/from the park... Anytime we go to that place I swear we get the worst traffic possible. Aside from that though, it is a really nice park.

I've only been to the park once, but I was really surprised there wasn't a more direct route to get to/from the park...and then I got stuck in night tunnel construction traffic for an hour on my way to my hotel.

BUT, I really enjoyed the park. I wish I had allotted more than the 3 or so hours I spent there to really get to experience everything more thoroughly, but I do definitely want to go back someday.

Oddly enough, when I was standing in line for Sky Rocket, I met some of the family that owns Beech Bend park in Kentucky. Nice people.

Thanks guys! I did ride Jack Rabbit in the back seat, so I did get to experience the awesome air time! And I was worried about Phantom being rough knowing the trains are just modified Arrow trains but it rode very smooth!

Great Tr! Kennywood is one park I need to visit. I still remember watching Memories of Kennywood and America's Roller Coasters with Thunderbolt and the then Steel Phantom. Ever since then it's been on my bucket list of parks.

Cool photos! I might be heading to kennywood next year for the first time, and i'm looking forward to it. It's one of those parks that's often overlooked but it's still a good park. Not to mention that they have an awesome collection of flat rides!

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post your pictures and report! Looks like you guys had a great time. I haven't been to Kennywood in a few years, but absolutely loved it when I was there.

David

Great TR, thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good time. Just like Invertalon stated I, too, hate getting to and from Kennywood but the park is well worth the hassle.

Phantom's Revenge is awesome though the way they operate it (one train only the first half of the day while the line snakes out onto the queue bridge) really sucks. You were were smart to get Exterminator out of the way first.

I love Kennywood so much. But I also love Pittsburgh a lot too, it's such a scenic city. I didn't realize that Kennywood had metal detectors. I guess I didn't even notice them the last time I was there. Looks like you guys had a great time! I need to get back out there to get a ride on Phantom's Revenge. It's been too long.

Edited by BigDipper 80

Nice trip report, Black Widow always takes a long time to load. Kennywood installed metal detectors back in 1993 when there was a lot of gang activity in the area. And anyone wearing gang colored clothing wasn't allowed in the park.

^Thanks for the info on the metal detectors, I was just curious.

You were were smart to get Exterminator out of the way first.

We got the tip to do Exterminator first right here in the TPR Kennywood thread, that helped a lot!

First off... I LOVED your Photo Trip Report...

Second Off... I have been to Kennywood ... ONCE... and I was very UNDERimpressed... I vowed to NEVER go back (partly due to my first dead body experience on the way out, but that's another story) ... and that's okay with me. Unless they build a 500ft aquatrax then count me out.

However... I am glad you had a great time!!!

we're there in just about a week

LOVE the pics, I'm only worried now that my fat butt wont fit in the classic coasters. . . .but I'll squeeze as much as I can.

(I mean, I'm heavy, but not Obese. .. wearing a size 42 pant, and a 2X shirt at the moment

LOVE the pics, I'm only worried now that my fat butt wont fit in the classic coasters. . . .but I'll squeeze as much as I can.

(I mean, I'm heavy, but not Obese. .. wearing a size 42 pant, and a 2X shirt at the moment

I think you're going to be fine on the woodies, they all have old school fixed position lap bars, and Thunderbolt doesn't even have seat belts.

Nice report - love Kennywood, but haven't been in ages (since the Phantom first opened, not the Revenge).

It's sacrilege to say that Thunderbolt didn't "do much" for you, though! That coaster is a classic -- the ravine drops in the back seat are things of beauty.

I think you're going to be fine on the woodies, they all have old school fixed position lap bars, and Thunderbolt doesn't even have seat belts.

good to know.

I used to not worry about the wood coasters (even if folks were much thinner back then!).

then we went to Knotts, and that padded box they call a seat on Ghost Rider just about did me in. I mean. . I FIT. . . but sheesh, was it an uncomfortable and not fun experience!

I figure as long as I can fit in an airplane seat, I should be able to fit in a ride, right?

(but yeah. . do need to go on a diet).