TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR : Xtreme Supernova media event @ TGE

Hey there TPR ! Yesterday it was The amazing media event for the Xtreme Supernova, the new pendulum ride at the Great Escape. Since I have my own website and I knew some peoples at the park, I was invited to attend the event and try out the new ride before anyone else ! I have to say I really liked it, it's a great high-thrill ride that complements the other rides of the park very well. The ride is also pretty to look at, in my opinion. On all points, for me it's a winner and a great new attraction for the park.

Of course there was some stuff going on behind the new ride, because The Comet was open too and it was running pretty well ! At some point in the day I got some ART (Alone Ride Time) where I really was the only guy in the train. I've always dreamed of having all a coaster all for me, well now it's done!

I also got some video footage of the ride, but I don't had the time to video-edit it yet. I'll upload as soon as I can.

Oh, and BTW, they probably won't read this trip report but a big THANK YOU to the peoples at the park who let me attend the event! It was awesome!

Enough talking, I'll sum up the rest of the event in the pictures' caption :

new_DSC_0658.JPG.99508956e3fc350a843363c71b2faaab.JPG

As you can see there was quite a few peoples at the beginning of the day.

new_DSC_0662.JPG.8007d256380fcce2e918e0f8f4b60de5.JPG

The old-school PTC Comet finally gets a neighbor. I guess they chose its name by its location next to the Comet. Themed area anyone ?

new_DSC_0668.JPG.e266890ca8eba17782084822201f3eaa.JPG

They did some test runs just before the official inauguration. Wish I was in the ride at that moment.

new_DSC_0697.JPG.b1414fd03c9acf9e42a89326e781fd71.JPG

The communication manager and the park president (on the picture) made a little speech before the first ride.

new_DSC_0710.JPG.3b990d82d55618925593c2de828bb10b.JPG

These astronauts "launched" to the Supernova right after the speech.

new_DSC_0716.JPG.a23f4d0533d16ea7da8d17c6be1da1da.JPG

This guy is a real NASA astronaut. He told us how the ride compared to a real spaceship flight. Of course it's pretty different, but it was cool to hear from him!

new_DSC_0730.JPG.acc62cf898f82375b4eefc7ee942f9b8.JPG

And there goes the astronauts!

new_DSC_0738.JPG.2c5ed5808f5a030ab7e4b8b7a7c1678f.JPG

Some kids from a local school were invited to take the first rides. Most seemed to enjoy it. A few didn't, but they looked pretty young and maybe it was too extreme for some of them.

new_DSC_0742.JPG.7d6df005be84c15da4dbee7fa74bcbdc.JPG

This pendulum goes pretty high and it spins and balances FAST ! I'm a pretty thin guy and if I didn't hold on to the bars on my restraint, I flew away. The forces were much more intense than I expected!

new_DSC_0753.JPG.f04bcfead77b39d86e3a9281b9cbe2e4.JPG

Yes Comet, I know you're there. I'm coming!

new_DSC_0760.JPG.c0e70ffff9beaa2b764b6e1a1de1ac04.JPG

There was a free buffet and an ACE guy attended the event too. Coincidence ? I don't think so.

new_DSC_0761.JPG.567b0a2080f83d9e24bbc63177e9d778.JPG

Here are the astronauts back from their flight.

new_DSC_0781.thumb.JPG.c27927d6f0fd6df82d7c11326f2a5aeb.JPG

Oh no Go Pro, I'm NOT looking at you. (sorry for the over-exposure)

new_DSC_0795.JPG.1c88dca6a226d4b35f7b5e13171765b8.JPG

Ok ok, let me explain this. Right before the second ride I took, the attendant was unable to start the ride and it started to rain, so someone brought me this. I am officially the first person to be stuck on the SuperNova!

new_DSC_0801.JPG.95479bc1775db04cba244fde91205d17.JPG

I guess the hand over the slide is a left-over from last year's fright fest. Or it's just Black Cobra's new decoration.

new_DSC_0802.JPG.189185bd64e106c1bae9b2a287450fbe.JPG

First thing you see when you enter the park, the Pirate Ship is gone. A park manager told me they didn't know yet if it would be relocated inside the park or to another one, or be used for something else (scrap metal I guess).

new_IMG_20140522_124401.jpg.5f93fdd7499cf61ae837b06fed5b1c84.jpg

The cool peoples at The Great Escape allowed me to film a POV of the Comet, because the one I made last year looked pretty much like cr@p.

new_comet_epicness.jpg.d630e74eef4f506f3e3f710861c6826c.jpg

I love the Comet !

new_footage_comet.jpg.867412467caa95e911b95fe5563f326b.jpg

The new footage is pretty darn good!

new_supernova_onride.jpg.3f6b127ea352c5e08287e75dbf0ac120.jpg

It may not look like, but I'm having a lot of fun on this ride!

new_DSC_0768_edited.JPG.d2f982b808603427fb6564acc948de5f.JPG

This is my new desktop wallpaper!

Edited by booink

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is in some sort! I don't have excellent memories of Maxair but I'd say the Supernova was a *little* more intense than Maxair. I don't remember flying out of my seat on the Cedar Point's ride!

This looks like a great little ride.

By the way, the pirate ship being removed is very interesting. With rumors of Bobsled being removed and with go kart tracks being removed from parks all over the place lately... they could open up a huge amount of land for expansion. Take a look at the area on google maps and you'll see what I mean.

It was indeed very good. At La Ronde (my home park), we have Le Manitou and it's a relaxing "ride" compared to this one. I really wish there was more of these, they are great !

By the way, the pirate ship being removed is very interesting. With rumors of Bobsled being removed and with go kart tracks being removed from parks all over the place lately... they could open up a huge amount of land for expansion. Take a look at the area on google maps and you'll see what I mean.

The park is definitely deserving of a big new coaster considering that their last major coaster was a secondhand Arrow mine train and I would hardly call that major. I really think one of those Chance hyperlites would be a perfect complement to the Comet. Or if they want a looper, I would love to see something like Sky Rocket.

The park is definitely deserving of a big new coaster considering that their last major coaster was a secondhand Arrow mine train and I would hardly call that major. I really think one of those Chance hyperlites would be a perfect complement to the Comet. Or if they want a looper, I would love to see something like Sky Rocket.

I think a Chance Hyper-lite (or even Intamin's very own version) would really fit perfectly in the park and it would draw more coaster enthusiats to the park, because right now out of The Comet there isn't much in the park in term of coasters. I don't think a looper would be that much of a good choice, they already have the steamin demon and the boomerang... But if it's a decent coaster (like skyrocket or an El Loco or whatever else that's decent) it would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

^Not every single ride, but concerning the coasters, the Boomerang and Road Runner/Frankie's Mine Train were bought new. Every other coaster is used. For the other rides I don't know them all but I do know that the Sasquatch was relocated from SFNO, Plunge was relocated from a Busch Gardens that closed in the 70's, etc. I'm pretty much sure the Screamin' Eagles they added last year were bought new from Larson. Maybe Wikipedia can help you find out for the other rides I didn't name here.

^Not every single ride, but concerning the coasters, the Boomerang and Road Runner/Frankie's Mine Train were bought new. Every other coaster is used. For the other rides I don't know them all but I do know that the Sasquatch was relocated from SFNO, Plunge was relocated from a Busch Gardens that closed in the 70's, etc. I'm pretty much sure the Screamin' Eagles they added last year were bought new from Larson. Maybe Wikipedia can help you find out for the other rides I didn't name here.

What about Steamin' Demon, wasn't that a relocated coaster?

^Yes it is, it was relocated from Pontchartain Beach in Louisianna. As I said only Boomerang and kiddie coaster were bought new. Other than that :

• Comet : Crystal Beach
  • Canyon Blaster : Opryland
  • Nightmare : Beach Bend/SFKK/Darien Lake
  • Bobsled : SFGAdv/SFGAm

^The Nightmare coaster is no longer at the Great Escape, I think they probably sent it to the scrapyard since at was relocated so many times, it outlived it's usefulness and the reason the parks that had it before Great Escape had capacity problems with it!

^The Nightmare coaster is no longer at the Great Escape, I think they probably sent it to the scrapyard since at was relocated so many times, it outlived it's usefulness and the reason the parks that had it before Great Escape had capacity problems with it!

I know the Nightmare isn't at the park anymore, I was just pointing out that it was relocated too. But as you're the Darien expert I guess you already knew that