TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest ride ever!! Even with sketchy, toothless carnies at the controls!!!

Actually, in my experience, the sketchier the op, the better the ride!

Seriously though, for whatever reason, at the local carnival in my town, which is run by a show that's known for its nice, re dervishes rides, and not-so-sketchy crew of carnies, the zipper always still seems to have some sketchy stoner guy running it. Haha

This, along with the post above about a bigger park model with chaos style seats, that'd be awesome...Back to back duelling park model zippers.

Not quite sure how the lowering boom would work though.

I just imagine the boom stopping horizontally and lowering so the lower half of the carriages can unload/load. Then the other upper half moves and can do the same before the boom rises back up the tower and starts the ride cycle.

This, along with the post above about a bigger park model with chaos style seats, that'd be awesome...Back to back duelling park model zippers.

I just imagine the boom stopping horizontally and lowering so the lower half of the carriages can unload/load. Then the other upper half moves and can do the same before the boom rises back up the tower and starts the ride cycle.

That would actually work quite well if they could engineer it to do that somehow. If you combine that with it being duelling (I'd imagine sort of like a Kamikaze/sky flyer, the ride could actually have quite high capacity, or at least better than what they currently have.

And if this never happens, at least chance has a winner on their hands with Lightning Run, a ride which, by the descriptions from riders, I would imagine packs the forces of a zipper into a coaster not much larger than an SLC... Very impressive!

Actually, now I think of it, I couldn't have picked a better time to start this thread... It's *EXTREMELY* unlikely, but with all the buzz about LR, Maybe a designer at chance is reading this forum, and may see our suggestions to build a park model zipper.. If a park asks, they might consider .

Like I said before, very unlikely, but with a company named "chance", maybe it's something parks will take their "chances" on building lol

I had a life-altering ride on a Zipper at a church's lawn fete, of all places. I was there with a friend of mine who tried a Zipper once and hated it, so I was figuring no ride. The man running the carnival was a friend of mine, so I asked him if he'd get a Zipper that someone could ride alone. He just said, "Go get in line." I was the only one in line. They emptied the ride and put me on, alone, as in no other riders. The carnival owner then relieved the operator, saying, "I'm running this one!" He turned to my friend and asked, "How green do you want to see him get?" My friend replied, "He won't get green." He must have taken that as a challenge, because the ensuing ride was the most intense ride experience I've ever had. I was flipping so fast I couldn't even find the horizon. My previous best ride had produced seven consecutive backwards somersaults, but I quickly lost count on this ride. My friend told me I looked like Renfield from Dracula when they finally let me off. My first words to the carnival owner was, "I wanna do that AGAIN!" I think I scared him, because he told me to take a walk around for awhile and when I came back he'd give me another ride. I went looking for him later but couldn't find him. He used to run a Top Spin and really had a touch at the controls. I think he tried his best to make me sick and might have thought he was losing his touch. Sadly, he moved on and doesn't operate that carnival anymore, so the experience is unlikely to ever be repeated. Now I'm looking for a Turbo ride, which I've been told will make me sick. HA!

What if it was built like an S&S SkySwat? It would be able to raise and lower,mbut still have the strengh needed to support the giant zipper.

I had a life-altering ride on a Zipper at a church's lawn fete, of all places. I was there with a friend of mine who tried a Zipper once and hated it, so I was figuring no ride. The man running the carnival was a friend of mine, so I asked him if he'd get a Zipper that someone could ride alone. He just said, "Go get in line." I was the only one in line. They emptied the ride and put me on, alone, as in no other riders. The carnival owner then relieved the operator, saying, "I'm running this one!" He turned to my friend and asked, "How green do you want to see him get?" My friend replied, "He won't get green." He must have taken that as a challenge, because the ensuing ride was the most intense ride experience I've ever had. I was flipping so fast I couldn't even find the horizon. My previous best ride had produced seven consecutive backwards somersaults, but I quickly lost count on this ride. My friend told me I looked like Renfield from Dracula when they finally let me off. My first words to the carnival owner was, "I wanna do that AGAIN!" I think I scared him, because he told me to take a walk around for awhile and when I came back he'd give me another ride. I went looking for him later but couldn't find him. He used to run a Top Spin and really had a touch at the controls. I think he tried his best to make me sick and might have thought he was losing his touch. Sadly, he moved on and doesn't operate that carnival anymore, so the experience is unlikely to ever be repeated. Now I'm looking for a Turbo ride, which I've been told will make me sick. HA!

Just come up here to Canada... Every carnival I've been to here in Ontario does this when you're the only one on the ride... Guess they're all wanna be topspin owners!

When it happened to me, I was at a carnival alone, asy friend who was supposed to go was sick that day. As you might expect, the carny kicked me outa the line line (which wasn't long, but filled with partners & no single riders). After hanging around the ride for about 20 minutes or so, the crowd died down, and the carny noticed I was still waiting to ride. He got another guy running the ride with him to jump into a car with me, and the experience that followed was very similar to yours... During the consecutive flips, the sky and ground blended into a greyish-blue blur, and when it was all over, I couldn't walk straight for about 5 minutes or so afterward.

Now, every time I go back to that fair, I'm garonteed a great ride experience... Most likely due to the fact I'm an enthusiast, and the ops there seem to respect that.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s8duyYJ-Q

Periodically, you'll see them start and stop the ride at certain points to keep the car spinning

• 1 month later...

I rode the Zipper at my local annual fair over a week ago and I have to agree with everybody that it's really incredible. I rode the Zipper again earlier today and I had an even better ride on it. The greatness to the Zipper is the spinning that can go out of control or even give you ejector airtime. It's like Green Lantern: First Flight without the pain.

^Totally agree. The zipper's just outa control intensity, while the enterprise is just plain fun, but still, both eccilent rides

Also agree with whoever said that the ops up here in Canada run the zippers very well. I've been to that carnival that was mentioned, and can say that it was awesome!

Nothing better than the Zipper in terms of flat ride experience, I always get disappointed if I'm at a carnival with no Zipper

Agreed. Recently, a local show who puts on the carnival in my town sold their zipper It made me realize how sh*ty all the other rides they had (appart from the ARM tower, which was basically a mini intamin second gen in terms of ride experience) were compared to it.

W

^Still, that's really great to hear!

Yeah it is, however the price tag will be higher than the original price since it would be built from scratch. Most owners looking to buy one will purchase it from the used market. Cheaper and more available.

• 1 month later...

I rode a Zipper twice recently at my local county fair. These things are insane! You just keep getting thrown in and out of your seat mercilessly, and I love it. While they have no legroom whatsoever, the intensity definitely makes up for it. I wish more amusement parks had these as permanent attractions.

• 3 weeks later...
I rode a Zipper twice recently at my local county fair. These things are insane! You just keep getting thrown in and out of your seat mercilessly, and I love it. While they have no legroom whatsoever, the intensity definitely makes up for it. I wish more amusement parks had these as permanent attractions.

My thoughts exactly!

Now... If they could make a duelling park model, with open seats/more leg room that was mentioned a few pages back, that'd be amazing!

Some may doubt it can be done, but look at what Elitch/Six flags have done with the super loop. In addition, chance seems to be doing fairly well right now, seeing as their hyper lite was a major hit, so maybe, if asked by a park, they'd attempt something like this?

Unfortunately for me, the only zipper that used to come to my town was sold to the states this year, so I really want the above mentioned park model zipper to eventually come to be . Actually, now that I think of it, I could possibly see my home park (CW), getting one... They've been known to test new ride concepts in the past, and this would be one flat they don't already have in their massive collection.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

^So close to me, yet so far... Not able to get to Toronto in the next few days (wish I could've... One last lap on Skyrider, and can ride another zipper ). If you can see it/have rode it, what does it look like?... It might be the old one formerly owned by Worlds Finest Shows (one of the last ones manufactured with the old style cages, which flipped ALOT more than the new style models with the letter "z" on them).

If you can see it/have rode it, what does it look like?...

I've not ridden it; and it's seeming unlikely that I will this year.

Assuming it's the same one from CNE year's gone by it's not one of the more forceful ones. That distinction (for me at least) would go to the one at the North Bay Fair that just about knocked me unconscious 9 or 10 years ago. Seriously, that one was flat out vicious.