TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Use Your Religion

Jose Eber

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 'R.A. worship' thread was kinda scary -- but let's put a twist on it.

What's your religion, if you have any?

Offically, United Methodist, but baptised and practicing Assemblies of God. (Not obnoxious and in-your-face about it though; I don't prosletize.)

I'm a pretty serious Catholic. One thing I have learned through that religion is . . . don't try to date Mennonite girls. It just doesn't work. I'm an outcast, my town is all Mennonites and Amish.

You want to hear a funny story? My my oldest brother (like myself) was raised Mennonite (Brethren), guess who teaches theology now at Notre Dame? lol. What goes around comes around?

From an 'ex-Mennonite' position, I can understand them shunning you. Its totally lame and not kind in the least bit but, there you have it. Mennonites and Amish can be real a$$holes (from personal experience).

Jose 'move to South Bend' Eber.

After I realized christianity wasn't for me, I did some research. I looked into Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism; and I would recommend to anyone to do that - even if you are happy with your faith - its interesting just to learn about them. Then I realized I didn't believe in a linear or cyclic religions - so that pretty much left me out of choices for any religion at all. Now I'm agnostic.

Jose, my cousin is the Head brother at Holy Cross (in South Bend across from Notre Dame) and I've been a huge fan of the Irish for years. I've applied there and I'm waiting to hear my status. I would love to make my home in South Bend. Ditto on the Mennonites.

Zach 'I'm visitng South Bend next week' Harig

I find religion quite problematic because it can be extremely homophobic and hateful at times - not to mention contradictory! Isn't religion supposed to be about love? When in fact i see more hate in religion. People are judged as individuals, and i beleive that racists, homophobics and other hateful types won't have a place in any kind of heaven, if there is one.

In my university we have a a lesbian gay and bisexual Christian group, so at least they fully understand what Christianity is meant to be. But personally i wouldn't want to expose myself to any homophobic hate. It hurts.

Toss another atheist on the fire.

I did go to a Southern Baptist church for about a year when I was a Senior in high school, but it was for a less than noble purpose.

(and no, I failed to get any. learn from my example)

Just to add to someone else's comments, it's quite commendable that everyone here is being so cool with everyone else's belief systems. Rather odd when you consider we could probably almost get into a flame war over a "what's better - WDW or DL" discussion...

I consider myself a True Christian, which is based on the philosophies of Christ, which are love,acceptance and understanding. Unfortunately, there are people who use the "Christian" monkier to push their ideology upon the masses (i.e. Southern Baptist,Cathaholics,George Bush Jr.) and frankly, thats wrong in my book.

Chris "Hellfire and Brimstone" Zer0

I consider myself a True Christian, which is based on the philosophies of Christ, which are love,acceptance and understanding. Unfortunately, there are people who use the "Christian" monkier to push their ideology upon the masses (i.e. Southern Baptist,Cathaholics,George Bush Jr.) and frankly, thats wrong in my book.

Chris "Hellfire and Brimstone" Zer0

I think your absoltely right and this is why we get these evil groups that use 'Christianity' as a weapon to force their homophobia and racism on others. These are not true Christians - Christianity is not a tool for hatred. It's rather like a court case; people will twist and contort the facts to suit themselves.

Nemesis, this is why I fled from the "church" years ago. I was sent to "Christian" school 11 of my 13 years (k-12) and I have to say I saw alot of hypocracy. People who talked of love and understanding in one breath, in another it was "We're the only right religion" and "Kill The Fags" in the next. I was the only one who seemed to bring up candid dicussion and discourse in these places. I was branded a "rebel" "humanist" and a "sinner" simply because I stated that I didnt believe in their "brand" of christanity. People like these, I have pity for because they havent or wont realize that they are unwilling to "open their eyes" and see what its really all about.

Chris "Nunpuncher" Zer0

People are judged as individuals, and i beleive that racists, homophobics and other hateful types won't have a place in any kind of heaven, if there is one.

In my university we have a a lesbian gay and bisexual Christian group, so at least they fully understand what Christianity is meant to be.

Man, I don't even want to begin to tell you how I feel about that statement.

Anywho, some of the most critical and mean people I've met are gay. So Nemesis20 don't be all 'you have to be gay to understand acceptance'. That is such a load of crap. Gay people aren't anymore accepting than heterosexual folk.

Some of the most intolerant people are gay, ever seen Queer Eye? Leave those poor straight men alone!

Anyway.

For me, a great religion or faith or what have you is deliberately broad enough to accept everyone: the 'haters' and the 'lovers', the hypocrites and the real. Look at the Catholic church -- you have your Mother Theresa and you have your active pedophile priest. I love that. Its so broad and accepting.

If you can't accept everyone, including those who exclude (homophobes' racists etc.) you really don't love. You just love your own kind, and that's easy. Everyone does that.

Anyway how kind is to just love your own kind? That's my Dr. Phil-ism for the day.

Had to get that off my sexy, hairy chest,

Jose 'tired of the gay perfection complex' Eber

So Nemesis20 don't be all 'you have to be gay to understand acceptance'. That is such a load of crap. Gay people aren't anymore accepting than heterosexual folk.

I'm not sure where you go that idea. Seems to me like your reading into something way too much. There is not so much as an inkling of such a statement in my post. A misunderstanding one would hope . Most of my best friends are heterosexual, as i indeed find at times they are more accepting and 'chilled out' than some fellow gay people.

I never said anyone was more accepting than anyone else, simply stating that my uni has a Christian LGB, and therefore they know what it's all about - as you said yourself, acceptance and love.

Jose Eber, you are actually re-iterating the same positive point of view, but adding this complex about gay people thinking they are more accepting? My best guess is that you have had an experience with someone else that was like this, but please do not generalise it and vent on this forum, we're all just trying to get along.

Nemesis "Please don't vent your personal frets and upset nice people on this forum" 20

Don't worry i avoid debates like the plague - they only ever go around in circles! Maybe it's a good idea to ban religious/ethical debates on this forum? While most people are able to post neutrally and in consideration of others, there are a few 'bad apples' that can turn a sensitive topic into a heated debate. It can be quite offensive and only encourages people to stand up for things that are too close to home.

It IS a theme park forum afterall....lol

Since I started this topic, let me get it back on track.

1st off: this doesn't have to be a serious religion discussion. Do you worship at the church of Intamin etc? Church of Disney? Six Flags?

2nd) Refrain from commenting on your quality of experience with a different group etc. (Vekoma lovers are real losers) etc.

Every community has its strong and weak points. Everyone has a sob story, we don't need to hear yours!

Love to all,

Jose "let me do your hair" Eber

First of all i need to say, Jose, I know you probably meant well and the thread is a cool idea, but you can't really insult people like that. I agree with you nemesis20, Christianity can be problematic if it's used like a weapon as you said. Would god really say, "If you don't have blonde hair, blue eyes, then get out of my Church!" I don't think so. Those people are following the footseps of Hitler, not God. They are hate masquarading as Christianity - warping it to suit their own hate because they think no one will challenge them if they use the name of God.

Our local vicar has an openly gay son, who goes to church with his loving boyfriend. There is not one person in our church who even comments on this, and why should they? We also have a very friendly elderly lesbian lady who regularly reads for us.

Secondly, I don't think anyone is in a position to tell groups that have had a hard time in the past, and in the present, that they have a 'perfection complex'. I think black, gay etc people are entitled to have some self-pride (white men can't jump, gay people know what to wear blah blah) if they didn't, where would they be?

Thirdly, Jose, you sound like a pretty cool guy. I don't have anything against you, but ease off on the ethical gas. I've seen the best of friends getting on like there's no tomorrow, until something like fox hunting is brought up and stuffs up everything. I don't think this forum is the place to bring in obstacles like religion.

Now I've got all that off my chest (sigh), if Disney was a religion, I'd follow that too!