TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ludicrous park food prices

I get it that the prices are out of site on things. I don't mind paying if they quality is there. To bad some parks don't put the effort into there food.

Exactly. If it's good, I'm OK. As much as people complain about Disney's prices, at least they provide good-quality food at many of their parks (particularly Epcot).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park, I do my best to leave the park to eat. It's just not worth it to me anymore. A friend talked me into the SFGAm dining pass (again!) last year and I used it twice. There - they made their money off me. It's not so much that the food was bad (which it was), it was the hour long/disorganized lines to get it. Cold fries, etc. bah!

But at a place like Knoebels, the food is an attraction in itself! Good prices, too. Granted, it's not gourmet top of the line stuff, but it's good quality comfort food as far as parks go. And then there's that crazy huge black forest chocolate cake (is that what it's called?) at Busch Gardens Williamsburgh. That's almost worth the trip alone!

I get it that the prices are out of site on things. I don't mind paying if they quality is there. To bad some parks don't put the effort into there food.

Exactly. If it's good, I'm OK. As much as people complain about Disney's prices, at least they provide good-quality food at many of their parks (particularly Epcot).

For example, a loaf of Cinnamon Bread at Dollywood is $6, but it's totally worth it. Same goes for the rest of Dollywood's food, it's expensive but it's good quality.

Have to wait and see for this year but after tax a Funnel Cake at Canada's Wonderland costs about 12 or 13 bucks.

To be fair though the Wonderland Funnel cakes are VERY good. I try funnel cakes at many parks, and even at other CF parks and state fairs & they don't come close to the Wonderland ones. While its not worth $12 each time it's a really nice treat, and if I'm visiting with people who have never tried one we always make sure to split one.

Crystal Palace

Hollywood and Vine

Nine Dragons

Tony's Town Square

Disney World may have some of the best theme park food in the world, but they got a laundry list of overpriced crap as well.

I'd shiv an infant to be able to eat at Nine Dragons or Tony's at pretty much any of the Six Flags parks. I'd even pay a 20% over the Disney pricing after stabbing the kid with a filed down mattress spring to do it.

^ Exactly!

That said, a good 50$+ US meal at Hong Kong Disney's primo restaurant,

Main Street Cafe. But, it was really awesome!

758255318_ResizeofIMG_1296.JPG.cdb3f07ffbf4d2c1a837df00e8936830.JPG

Such an awesome meal - and Jack was there, too!

Edited by Nrthwnd

Easily Knotts Berry Farm. The burger costs $10, and that's just the burger. If you want to upgrade to a combo, that's gonna cost you another $8, which is nearly the price I pay for a much better, multi-course meal at Mrs. Knotts. So I'll either eat there or go outside the park to a place like Buffalo Wild Wings.

So sad to see how some prices have escalated, etc.

I guess the thing to do, is go into a park with expectations

of high over gross prices - and then be actually surprised

when something is less than what you expected it would be.

Simple!

At that point why not take two seconds in the morning to throw together a PB&J?

Because honestly, eating a PB&J I threw together at the hotel (itself unlikely) that's then been sitting in my car in the parking lot doesn't sound remotely more appealing as actual food than something inside the park. If I'm at the point where I'm leaving the park to go to my car for food, I'm more likely to just drive it somewhere and get a ready made meal.

This is part of my issue with the entire hobby of coaster nerdism too; "lower your expectations" is a stupid mantra. I actually would like to not do that. And really, in no other comparable hobby would it be expected that I should get lousy versions of fast food for exorbitant prices. The food at Carowinds is below grade for pretty much any ballpark or stadium these days. Meanwhile, if I go cruising, I spend about the same amount of money and get loads of food that actually tastes good.

People are more willing to spend money on fast food outside the park too, as much as a proper restaurant but more convenient. Still, it seems a simple formula, make it reasonable and will sell more. But too many seem to be willing to pay any price. It makes some sense among vacationers where the cost to be there is high in the first place. There also seems to be a generation of kids that don't seem to worry about money. And there is perhaps too big a gap between what they charge and what will substantially increase sales. But I don't know -- I definitely went to BGW some times not planning to eat anything, and between the wonderful smell and almost reasonable prices did anyway. That requires actual hunger at KD.

I do prefer they make as much as possible off optional purchases, making the cost flexible. Those that can afford more spend more. There is perhaps an element of providing a public service -- they make money off of almost everyone, even me, but more off the extras.

What really crosses the line, to me, is when not only is the price absurd, you have to wait too long for it. That violates a rule of business: to make the money, you have to have people to take the money.

As to buffets at theme parks, I did that once, and regretted it about 30 minutes. Not only was I too full to ride anything, at first I wasn't sure I could make it out of the park! Was good though.

If a park doesn't have good food I'll just eat in moderation at the park and then eat a bigger meal on the way home. If you are an enthusiast without kids in tow there are a lot bigger problems than the price of food at most parks.

Quite frankly at most parks I kind find some type of meal for that holds me over or is not ridiculously priced. Turkey legs tend to be a good option at Six Flags, there's a lot off eating in one turkey leg. I just don't like wasting time leaving the park to get fast food. I'd rather just go as long as possible with a little food and worry about eating after I leave.

Does Knotts still have the soup in a sourdough bowl? Granted I have not been there in a few years, but eating a bowl made out of sourdough bread is filling.

Of course I'd love to see faster service at the quick food stands.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 months later...
Rule of (my) thumb: If there's a BUFFET offered somewhere in the park, go for it!

The amount of food you eat, will certainly outweigh the cost you pay for it.

Midway Market at CP! Every single time

Everyone says this but I personally hate Midway Market. The food is awful because it's the same awful food from the picnic area (it shares a kitchen) with a slightly nicer presentation.

I actually think Cedar Point has really good food for a corporate non Disney / Universal / HFE park. The standard park food is crap, but they have enough franchises to make up for it. I consider Pink's, Chick Fil A, TGI Fridays, Chickie and Pete's and Famous Daves to be really good food options. Boardwalk Fries by Corkscrew is a nice franchise too if you're just looking for a snack.

The crummy $10 slice of pizza and bread sticks at SFSTL is the worst ripoff. I doubt it has an full ounce of cheese on it. Just a slice of bread with a slice or two of pepperoni and cheese dusting.

The SF Dinning Pass has been awesome for my two boys the past couple of years. ($85 through oct, I think) We go 1-2x a week mostly the waterpark usually around 1 or 2, eat then play. Many times when we leave at 6 the boys are not hungry and I get 3 chicken strip meals dump them in a gallon ziplock bag and then do a quick reheat in the oven when we get home. I think the pass was paid for by the first week of June. The only food I have bought all year is occasional ice cream. A junior sized sundae at the local custard stand or DQ is about $4 so $7 for the monster sized waffle cone isn't that bad even though they can never finish it.

The burgers and pizza are very sub par and I am sick of waffle fries, but the chicken fingers and Mexican are not that bad. The hot dogs are decent quality for a dog. The chicken salads are actually good though the dressing sucks. I smoke my own meats so the park BBQ is a let down as well as at most chain BBQ joints. My standards are high for BBQ.

Without the dinning pass I would defiantly pack a cooler and have a picnic, waiting in line takes about about the same time as walking to the car.

SF bans open flames in the lot. I wish I had a portable generator and could fry up some burgers in the lot with an electric griddle. Maybe sell a few for a profit. Lol.

Rule of (my) thumb: If there's a BUFFET offered somewhere in the park, go for it!

The amount of food you eat, will certainly outweigh the cost you pay for it.

Midway Market at CP! Every single time

Everyone says this but I personally hate Midway Market. The food is awful because it's the same awful food from the picnic area (it shares a kitchen) with a slightly nicer presentation.

I actually think Cedar Point has really good food for a corporate non Disney / Universal / HFE park. The standard park food is crap, but they have enough franchises to make up for it. I consider Pink's, Chick Fil A, TGI Fridays, Chickie and Pete's and Famous Daves to be really good food options. Boardwalk Fries by Corkscrew is a nice franchise too if you're just looking for a snack.

We did Famous Dave's the last time we visited CP and loved it. Yeah, it's a little pricey, but really not as bad as I thought it would be. And how can you go wrong with a ribs, burnt ends and hard liquor!

TGI Friday's was also good when we ate there the night before, but I think Famous Dave's is much better.

198.thumb.JPG.7357f1c062cb7fbefd06c041c1f5212e.JPG

Burnt ends and onion rings....they were delicious!

199.JPG.3f347d5ba919804ccfb5dc778bb02a6a.JPG

Ribs, burnt ends, garlic pickles and pickled onions with two Manhattans. I think the bill was about $45....not bad!

I remember two slices of mediocre pizza and a Bud Light costing over 16 bucks at Kings Dominion a few years back (which I guess is a comparative bargain next to Knott's charging $20 for a burger-and-fries "value meal" plus a drink).

That doesnt seem bad at all lol