TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Opening day Helix at Liseberg

Hhappy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome photos and awesome footage! Thanks for sharing!

As for Helix, does anybody know where the top speed is achieved? There are several fast moments in the ride.

They say it is beneath the airtime hill right after the tophat (second launch) where Helix turns left into the s-curves.

I certainly can tell this is not an American trip report, only 1 person I would even call overweight at all.

Yet by your judgements I can tell you are American (as am I) because 7 of the people in those pictures were in fact overweight

Great pictures, Hanno! Love the rider shots! I can't wait to say that to you again!

Just one question, for those who've ridden Helix: how does the second launch feel? It looks like it gains speed but then closer to the end it doesn't seem to be accelerating much (as it's quite long). So I wonder how the forces feel.

The second launch feels better in the back since up front it feels like you are slowing down quite a bit until the launch kicks in, in the back there is no lag

It's due to that the launch can't start until the train is all on the launch track.

On the launch itself, the the speed up is all in the beginning, but since the track is pretty steep and the LSM units will keep the train at the final velocity once it's reached then you don't get any feeling of slowing down until you hit the top-hat.

I certainly can tell this is not an American trip report, only 1 person I would even call overweight at all.

Yet by your judgements I can tell you are American (as am I) because 7 of the people in those pictures were in fact overweight

Great pictures, Hanno! Love the rider shots! I can't wait to say that to you again!

I'm totally pointing the finger at myself. I'm way overweight and have had to do the walk of shame more than once.

The launches to me looked like what you would get on Speed the Ride or from I imagine Maverick or Cheetah hunt. The latter 2 of those 3 look to be similar to Helix in terms of experience, though I expect Helix to have the better overall. I will be very interested to see the opinions of this ride once the TPR vets get a chance to go on it. The first opinions seem to stack up against what I gauged the ride to be like after viewing the pov. Liseberg looks like they have a very well rounded and a very stellar coaster collection.

It was very unlucky that Helix did have some issues at the opening day. The whole day they were running alot of empty trains and the staff wasn't that good with filling the trains running even seats next to eachother empty. Not good when the line is more than 2 hours wich is alot to be at Liseberg. Anyway i guess they will do better when they have been running it for a while. Now to the ride... I was in heaven while flying through the track. Felt alot more intense than i thought it would but was suprised that it was shaking a lot! Not very smooth at all but i figured we got a train that arrived later and hasn't been doing as many laps as the first one. With the forces in the very back i wouldn't call it family friendly cause it was insane and more of an extreme coaster. Overall i am blown away by this coaster and i live 15 minutes from Liseberg so will have lots of rides this season and i am sure it will only get better as the trains and track get to know eachother a bit more. I am blessed having Lisebergbanan, Balder and Helix in my homepark

• 2 weeks later...
Mmmm, late June cannot get here, fast enough!

Are you going on the Scandi-tour? I found out about it (and this place) too late. I will however be back in Sweden late June after my first ever visit to the United States and Six Flags Great Adventure. Maybe I'll pop by Gothenburg the day you guys are there just to see some other coaster-fiends.

Ps. Cobra at La Ronde, Montreal in your country Canada was my first ride on a stand-up coaster (and probably Intamin too). It used to be in Sweden untill it was sold in 1994.