TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[Park Concept] Survivor Island (WIP)

This project started out as something to kill time, but I've fallen in love with the idea and decided to run it by you guys to see if it passes the enthusiast test. How much would you pay to enter? Do you think it would be worth revisiting, or would it get old after one or two visits? General opinions? Share them! Please!

Keep in mind, this is not just another theme park. When you walk through the front gates, you are immediately immersed in a complex storyline. Every land plays a part in the story, and many of the roller coasters have full backstories that make the park's story clear. However, the park remains enjoyable to those who do not understand or do not wish to understand the concept behind it. The storyline is not forced, but it is there to be discovered. There are rides for thrill seekers and families alike, as well as restaurants, shows, and an outdoor venue for music festivals. After all, it would be located in Nashville, the music capital of America.

While I am not entirely done with this project (there are still logos to be drawn up, layouts to be perfected, maps to be finalized, etc), I am sharing what I currently have in the hope that you will embrace it and perhaps help me improve it. I doubt I need to say this, but I trust that none of you will claim any of my ideas as your own because, well, that just wouldn't be cool. So, without further ado, I give you...

SURVIVOR ISLAND

A quick summary of the park's plot: Just outside of Nashville is a campground frequented by a local Boy Scout troop. One day while playing routine night games, one scout wanders too far off into the woods and becomes desperately lost. He soon stumbles on the wreckage of a commercial jet, forgotten by time. Adjacent to the wreckage is a civilization built primarily in the treetops due to frequent flooding. These are the survivors of the plane crash, and they welcome the boy warmly. However, they warn him that it is not safe to wander the woods at night; even they dare not leave their tree houses past dark. Beyond the limits of the treetop civilization lies a swamp harboring witches and ruthless criminals cast from Survivor Island. Could they be plotting revenge?

Themed Lands

The Campground

The family area of the park, themed as a cheesy summer camp. This area includes the Zamperla-built "Campfire Coaster", assorted kiddie rides, and a buffet-style Mess Hall.

The Crash Site

Themed to an overgrown plane crash, this area includes the GCI-built "Aftermath" and and Intamin drop tower called "Nosedive". This land is secluded in the woods between The Campground and Survivor Island. Aftermath's tunnel would run through the wreckage of an old commercial jet.

Music City

This area of the park is themed to represent the city of Nashville, Tennessee. It is very reminiscent of the 1950s/1960s. It includes indoor and outdoor performance venues, a HUSS Troika called Twist N' Shout, a Zamperla Disk'O Coaster called Crowd Surfer, and a classic cars driving course (currently unnamed). The major attraction will be a 250ft tall B&M Hyper Coaster, which is (as of 5/10/2014) unnamed.

Survivor Island

This zone includes a WhiteWater-built water park, themed as a city in the trees built by the survivors of the plane crash, an Intamin Giant Splash called "Downpour" and the Maurer-Sohne built "Flash Flood", a launched coaster featuring the new X-Train. The water park will include a wave pool, dueling AquaLoops, a Master Blaster, a secluded family raft ride, a SuperBowl, and a three-slide AquaTube tower.

The Swamp

A future expansion, this area is themed as the uninhabitable haunted part of the woods. It includes "Voodoo", which will hopefully bring the legendary Tilt Coaster to America, as well as a dark ride called "The Witches' Lair" and a HUSS Jump^2 called "The Raven". At night, fog fills the area and scare actors dressed as witches and goblins roam freely.

When you enter: there is a large midway with trees down the middle. The first thing you see on your right is a sign that says "Welcome to Camp". This is the kiddie area, which has a handful of family rides including the Campfire Coaster and Soaring Eagle.

If you were to look to your left, you would see a road sign that read "This way to Music City". Music City is the area of the park themed to Nashville, with multiple rides, big and small, themed to country music and rock and roll. The major roller coaster in this land is a yet-to-be-named B&M Hyper. Next to the Hyper is a 20,000 person outdoor concert venue to host season-opening and season-closing music festivals.

If you were to walk straight ahead, the path would gradually turn left and lead you to a densely forested area, where you would encounter the plane crash and the area's major roller coaster, Aftermath. Next to Aftermath are Nosedive, a drop tower, and Survivor Island, the water park/dry ride hybrid land. All of the nine water slides start in towers made to look like massive, complex tree houses. The nose of the destroyed airplane hangs over a large wave pool. Survivor Island also includes the park's major launch coaster, Flash Flood.

The Coasters

Aftermath- GCI Woodie

5193350_ScreenShot2014-04-10at8_04_53PM.thumb.png.b0f707946eba692bd4ec1a27a5f40bce.png

Aftermath layout. The bi-level tunnel is where the wreckage of the passenger jet will be. The front of the aging jet will jutt out over Survivor Island's wave pool, and the propellers will start to spin whenever the waves roll.

900877367_ScreenShot2014-04-10at8_05_28PM.thumb.png.43e7a5c74e52c8569345bda7c1ba524c.png

Aftermath layout, angle 2. The ride is 125' tall and reaches a top speed of 55mph.

Flash Flood- Maurer-Sohne X-Train

733895620_ScreenShot2014-04-13at7_43_14PM.thumb.png.91c622e93b58da6086dd2d03ba22aeca.png

The initial launch on "Flash Flood" is inclined, similar to Maverick at Cedar Point.

900499241_ScreenShot2014-04-11at1_32_27PM.thumb.png.6df17e341a6e1de416ebe17cc02f7aed.png

After the second launch at 45mph, Flash Flood enters a section of twisty track that represents the chaotic flow of a river after a heavy rain.

1696150542_ScreenShot2014-04-11at1_32_55PM.thumb.png.8e8261c7438239fb0840f04e5567f759.png

The finale is a miniature spaghetti knot, which consists of two interlocking corkscrews and an over banked curve, followed by two bunny hills. The two corkscrews, plus a butterfly inversion and a zero-g roll make up the coaster's five inversions.

Unknown- B&M Hyper (NoLimits creation coming soon)

Soaring Eagle- Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster

The Campfire Coaster- Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster

Voodoo- Vekoma Tilt Coaster (2nd Year Expansion)

Night Terror- B&M Dive Coaster (5th Year Expansion)

As this is a work in progress, I will regularly update this thread as I make progress. Again, please feel free to share you opinions, and thanks for reading!

[Originally posted: 4/17/14 at 12:45am]

[Last updated: 5/10/14 at 11:34pm]

Edited by foss123

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a neat concept.

Great selection of attractions and themes. However, Survivor Island and the Flood Zone should be merged together since there is barely a difference between the two. And I don't find anything about The Flood Zone to be too spectacular to grant it it's own land. Themed areas should be 90% shops, eateries, events & rides, and maybe two or three coasters sprinkled throughout the park.

Universal Studios Florida is a great example of this concept.

Anyways, the GCI looks amazing! So twisty, and the first drop looks intense. The launch coaster is the same, just more of it. Great layouts!

If I were to come here I would ideally like to spend $0 . But I can see myself dishing out at least $50 (easily) for admission. $70+ doesn't sound too bad, as long as you offer some decent food at a reasonable price. Reasonable is a medium fry, cheeseburger, and a drink for around $6-$7. There certainly is a lot of variety offered here, I could definitely see myself coming back, probably with friends.

Just outside of Nashville is a campground frequented by a local Boy Scout troop. One day while playing routine night games, one scout wanders too far off into the woods and becomes...

Sorry, I got bored.

If that's a quick summary, I don't even want to think about what the full-length version is like.

In my opinion, too much backstory at once just isn't fun and isn't easily communicated to guests. It's okay for a story to be gradually unfolded through an intimate and controlled environment like a queue line, but you can't expect your guests to know the entire story behind the park immediately if it's so elaborate like that.

I think this is a neat concept.

Great selection of attractions and themes. However, Survivor Island and the Flood Zone should be merged together since there is barely a difference between the two. And I don't find anything about The Flood Zone to be too spectacular to grant it it's own land.

Thanks for the input! I also thought The Flood Zone as its own land was underwhelming, but combining the two never even occurred to me!

If that's a quick summary, I don't even want to think about what the full-length version is like.

In my opinion, too much backstory at once just isn't fun and isn't easily communicated to guests. It's okay for a story to be gradually unfolded through an intimate and controlled environment like a queue line, but you can't expect your guests to know the entire story behind the park immediately if it's so elaborate like that.

I think I got too into it while I was writing this and forgot I was supposed to be summarizing. I understand where you're coming from, but my idea was that each ride would be a part of that story and the guests could piece it together throughout their visit (if they wanted). I was hoping it would still work if they didn't wish to piece it together. Does that make sense?

Look-- concept art! I've been doing some sketches lately, and the park is really starting to take shape. Below is approximately what I want the children's/family area of the park to look like. Currently just called "The Campground", I'm hoping to come up with a clever coaster pun to use in the title ("Camp _________"). This land features two roller coasters; a suspended family coaster by Vekoma ("Soaring Eagle") and a Zamperla kiddie coaster ("The Campfire Coaster"). The land also includes a whip ride ("Scoutmaster _____'s Wilderness Roundup"), a Zamperla Jumpin' Star (working title: "_____'s Watchtower"), a Zamperla kiddie swing themed as a tree with tire swings ("_____'s Tremendous Tire Swing"), a Camp ______ gift shop, s'mores stands, and an amphitheater for sing-a-longs and campfire stories. As you can see, I'm still working on developing the land's mascots.

1710948922_ScreenShot2014-04-30at10_20_13PM.png.0bfb422c80b072c51aba146a401f8eaa.png

My scanner is being incompetent, so unfortunately this is in black and white. Hopefully I'll get everything worked out and re-upload this soon. Until then, imagine a rustic summer camp feel. Lots of browns, greens, and yellows-- especially around The Campfire Coaster.

As promised, here's the color version!

54294138_ScreenShot2014-05-01at4_42_44PM.png.182bc0e1e52cc715399f2d64446069d8.png

As you can see, the primary color scheme of the land is green, yellow, and brown. I was going for a very neutral, earthy look a first, but I think since the area is primarily for younger visitors, brighter shades of the same colors might work better.

I have slightly reworked the layout of the campground, though the concept art I posted wasn't that clear to begin with. Between the Campfire Coaster and the amphitheater would be an interactive fountain, similar to those seen in many public parks.

1258599582_interactivefountain.jpg.19902744398d10e67ddfadc7016089b6.jpg

A similar interactive fountain, seen in concept art for the recent renovation of Cincinnati's Washington Park.

The shop in the concept are would be called The Canteen (of course) and would be placed next to a buffet-style restaurant called The Mess Hall. The Crash Site has been eliminated as a separate land and would be placed adjacent to The Campground with a short wooded walkthrough to the line, imitating the lost scout's discovery of the wreckage.

I'm currently working on sketches for the 5-year plan. They will include concept art for each land, as well as a map of the entire park with later additions slightly discolored. Here is the entire list of planned rides and attractions (please keep in mind that names are still a work in progress):

THRILL

-Aftermath, a GCI woodie

-Mayday, a disaster-themed Zamperla Air Race

-Nosedive, an Intamin drop tower

-Flash Flood, a Maurer-Sohne launch coaster

-Surge, an Intamin Hyper Splash

-Voodoo, a Vekoma Tilt Coaster

-The Raven, a HUSS Jump^2

-Night Terror, a B&M Dive Coaster

-[Dueling AquaLoops]

-Canopy Cruiser [MasterBlaster]

-Whirlpool [bowl slide]

-The Nest, a body slide tower with three slides, the tallest being themed to an eagle's nest

FAMILY

-Soaring Eagle, a Vekoma suspended family coaster

-Crowd Surfer, a Zamperla disk'o "coaster"

-All Shook Up, a HUSS Troika

-Square Dancer, a Tilt-A-Whirl

-Hot Wheels, a 50's-style classic car ride

-Interactive Fountain

-[Family Raft slide]

-[Wave Pool]

-Zipline

KIDS

-Wilderness Roundup (Whip)

-Tremendous Tire Swing (Zamperla Lolly Swing)

-Tree Climber (Zamperla Jumpin' Star)

-Crazy Bus (Zamperla Crazy Bus)

-The Campfire Coaster (Kiddie Coaster, manufacturer undecided)

LIVE ENTERTAINMENT

-[unknown], a 20,000-person outdoor concert venue to host season-opening and season-closing music festivals, featuring many local artists.

-Music City Pavilion, an indoor theater that will host live shows and revues.

-The Campitheater, an amphitheater in the rear of The Campground where kid-friendly concerts and sing-a-longs will take place. At night, a scoutmaster will tell guests spooky stories.

-Scareactors in The Swamp

FOOD

-Johnny Rocket's [Music City]

-Hard Rock Cafe [Music City]

-The Mess Hall [The Campground]

-S'mores stand [The Campground]

-Castaway Café [survivor Island]

-Witches' Brew (smoothies) [The Swamp]

-Haunted Snack Shack [The Swamp]

GAMES

-Archery Practice [The Campground]

-Relay Racers [The Campground]

-Test Your Strength [Music City]

-Balloon Darts [Music City]

-Ring Toss [Music City]

SHOPPING

-Music City Records (CDs, classic and contemporary band t-shirts, park merchandise, drinks and candy) [Music City]

-Hard Rock Gift Shop (Hard Rock Cafe merchandise, park merchandise) [Music City]

-The Canteen (park merchandise, drinks and candy) [The Campground]

-Unknown Shop (sunblock, swimwear, drinks and candy) [survivor Island]

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a little work on Aftermath, including revising the layout by adding a 270* helix and a 540* helix and changing the second drop into an over-banked curve. I've also done a major overhaul on some parts of the ride to ensure clearance and comfortable forces. I'm happy with what I have, and I believe that this will be the ride's final layout.

Aftermath Statistics

Track length: 3,848ft

Top speed: 55 mph

G-Forces: +4.5 G's/-1.0 G

Dimensions (length x width x height): 548ft x 459ft x 121ft

304252962_ScreenShot2014-05-22at8_41_28PM.thumb.png.a19de7636e674d296aff8ac1f722f12e.png

The bi-level turnaround has been slightly modified, and the lower level is no longer banked at 90* (it's now 70*). I have been reworking the park layout, and I have decided that this turnaround will no pass through the wreckage of the plane. However, the wreckage will still interact with the element.

1052446017_ScreenShot2014-05-22at8_41_53PM.png.e7288ba64cb26ac29ef6863a68398b2d.png

The improved second drop, now including an exciting overbank. Behind it, you can sort of see the 270* helix that has been added.

368057041_ScreenShot2014-05-22at8_44_13PM.thumb.png.ce5b32f9717db881e39ce8cc1113016c.png

Here's the new finale, a 540* helix after a small pop of airtime.

• 2 weeks later...

For the past few days, I've been working and reworking the layout until I had something I was happy with. Now I've started mapping! Here's a look at what is to come (please excuse the iPhone pictures, my scanner recently bit the dust):

image.thumb.jpg.ae328b9b54aba29494450e7845835305.jpg

So far I've only made progress mapping the water park. I've used the same colors as will be used in the kiddie section, however those will be much more vibrant shades.

image.thumb.jpg.ae328b9b54aba29494450e7845835305.jpg

So far I've only made progress mapping the water park. I've used the same colors as will be used in the kiddie section, however those will be much more vibrant shades.

image.thumb.jpg.00ecff54256799162c80fb53df3ef51c.jpg

Here is a general look at the park layout. The final version has been slightly altered. Color blocks indicate color schemes-- notice that rides in each land have fairly similar paint jobs. This is to convey a mood.