TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Announces a Park in Dubai

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you see that the parks are losing money?

I'm curious, because I have heard that they were doing fairly well. And judging from all the six flags parks I have been to, and all the recent trip reports I have read, it looks like people are flocking to the parks.

^Exactly.

I don't get the continued doom and gloom outlook a few people on here have against six flags. I understand that six flags is not everyones cup of tea, but to continue to post false facts about the chain is wrong.

The park has NOT been in financial trouble since the restructuring. Once the restructuring happened, the monstrous debt was relieved. Debt will not return unless Six Flags starts over leverages themselves again with huge expenditures.

Cedarfair repeats ride names as well. Flight deck, thunderhawk, thunder canyon, woodstock express...ect

I sometimes feel that people just enjoy bashing six flags about anything. Funny thing is, most of the complaints about six flags happen at other chain parks as well.

I don't usually bash six flags at all. I love the fact that they have nice sets of rides at their parks. It's just that, looking at that list of names, I feel that I've seen most of them. It's not that other chains don't do it, but these would all be main attractions and I think they could bother to come up with some new names.

Anyway, if this list of rides is actually about to happen, I won't care about the names at all.

^Exactly.

I don't get the continued doom and gloom outlook a few people on here have against six flags. I understand that six flags is not everyones cup of tea, but to continue to post false facts about the chain is wrong.

The park has NOT been in financial trouble since the restructuring. Once the restructuring happened, the monstrous debt was relieved. Debt will not return unless Six Flags starts over leverages themselves again with huge expenditures.

Actually after taking a better look at their earnings reports, there are some issues. I was incorrect in saying their earnings was up 3.4%, their Revenue was up that much.

Earnings were actually down from 2012, where it was about $340 million. The disturbing fact however, from 2012 cash is down $460 million. Debt from post bankruptcy 2010 was $971 million, and now stands at $1.4 billion.

The plus side, pre bankruptcy debt was $2.4 billion.

But Six Flags does seem like it could be on a slippery slope.

So if the park is putting in a GIGA and a DIVE, which are two styles of coasters that the company has never done before, does this mean we could be seeing giga's and dive's at other six flags parks?

It's been stated that this proposed park will simply slap the six flags name on it.

The plan back then was mostly to license the name of the park, not to pay for and operate it, and it sounds like this agreement is similar.

NewsPlusNotes: Six Flags Park Announced for Dubai... Again

Is this not a completely new park? All the art work was for the old park by the Tatweer company that when bust. While this one is an entirely new venture with Meraas?

And if it really is just Six Flags sticking branding on someone else's park wouldn't all the old plans and artwork be irrelevant now? or is there a connection between the 2 parks I'm not aware of?

Is this not a completely new park? All the art work was for the old park by the Tatweer company that when bust. While this one is an entirely new venture with Meraas?

And if it really is just Six Flags sticking branding on someone else's park wouldn't all the old plans and artwork be irrelevant now? or is there a connection between the 2 parks I'm not aware of?

You answered all of your own questions.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm late to this discussion, and someone may have already pointed this out, but just in case nobody has, there's a lot of strong moral/humanitarian reasons for not doing business in Dubai, or spending your vacation dollars there.

This was the story back in 2009, a very worthwhile read:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

And this suggests to me that things may not have improved much since then:

http://m.hrw.org/news/2014/01/24/uae-human-rights-watch-official-refused-entry

Maybe someone who knows more can comment further.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I'm late to this discussion, and someone may have already pointed this out, but just in case nobody has, there's a lot of strong moral/humanitarian reasons for not doing business in Dubai, or spending your vacation dollars there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

I absolutely agree that there is a dark side of dubai and things have not really improved according to Human Rights Watch.

But what's even worse is that many countrys have a dark side, a click on "Publications" on the Human Rights Watch site brings up theese articles:

With Liberty to Monitor All - How Large-Scale US Surveillance is Harming Journalism, Law, and American Democracy

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2014/07/28/liberty-monitor-all-0

Illusion of Justice - Human Rights Abuses in US Terrorism Prosecutions

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2014/07/21/illusion-justice-0

And there is a lot more which could be said about the US (don't get me started) and many other countrys.

If you exclude all countrys with a dark side, I'm afraid there won't be many left to go to.

(I don't want to defend Dubai in any way, but we should take care of our own countrys first, before we teach other countrys.)

On the topic:

Will they also handle the heat with a mostly indoor installation?

Im curious about the long term prospects of theese projects there. When they run out of oil and therefore mone, will they be able to attract enough tourists to finance all this stuff?

With that I guess we shouldn't sell coasters to China either (or make all of our crap there), but yes back on topic.

When they run out of oil and therefore mone, will they be able to attract enough tourists to finance all this stuff?

Dubai dosen't really make any money from oil, they started converting to tourism in the early 90s to be more independent from the oil revenue, and the country now makes most of it's money from tourist. If I remember right the oil & gas is only about 2% of the country's revenue.

The huge harbor is also a big trading port an brings in lot's of dough.

The big dependance on tourism and international business is a big reason to why they took such a huge hit when the financial crises came.

• 1 year later...

New artwork...

Guests will enter and exit the park through an impressive, state-of-the-art promenade. The fully air-conditioned area will offer a VIP mezzanine, space for private and catered events, along with an assortment of retail and food locations including a signature bakery and deli. Guests will have access to three attractions from inside the plaza and the park’s signature roller coaster will encircle the entire promenade.

The intricately-themed park, designed in partnership with FORREC, will feature 27 rides and attractions, including best-in-class roller coasters, soaring tower rides, thrilling water slides, out-of-this-world virtual reality experiences, and a next generation 4-D interactive dark ride. When the sun sets, the park will come alive with spectacular lights dancing in the nighttime sky.

Six Flags Dubai is scheduled to open in 2019 near the Lapita™ Hotel and Riverland™ Dubai.

SF_Dubai_Aerial.thumb.jpg.96034282d22b37ca4793ddba02f32f4a.jpg

Some of the coasters you can recognize:

- RMC clone of Goliath

- Intamin ZacSpin

- Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster 420/4 (Tony Hawk / Pandemonium)

- Mack PowerSplash

- a kiddie coaster

- unidentified entrance gate coaster

source: Six Flags

Edited by BDG