TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Announces a Park in Dubai

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Six Flags involved in selecting attractions for parks only licensed under the SF name?

Why would Six Flags be involved in selecting attractions for parks other than ones they own or have a license deal with?

Is Six Flags involved in selecting attractions for parks only licensed under the SF name?

Why would Six Flags be involved in selecting attractions for parks other than ones they own or have a license deal with?

Wait... isn't that what I said? They have a license deal with the Dubai park, so I assume they are involved in selecting attractions, correct? Wasn't asking about parks they neither own nor have a license deal with.

Wait... isn't that what I said? They have a license deal with the Dubai park, so I assume they are involved in selecting attractions, correct? Wasn't asking about parks they neither own nor have a license deal with.

They probably do as they're being paid for their name and expertise here, in China, Vietnam, and in Saudi Arabia. Otherwise, no. They wouldn't work for free.

They probably do as they're being paid for their name and expertise here, in China, Vietnam, and in Saudi Arabia. Otherwise, no. They wouldn't work for free.

OH I gotcha. When I said "only licensed," I meant as opposed to owned and operated by Six Flags, not opposed to just random parks unrelated to SF. I understand that.

So yes, the answer to my original question. Thanks.

The reason I asked is the attractions they select could be a mild indication of where they're going with their domestic parks in the future.

OH I gotcha. When I said "only licensed," I meant as opposed to owned and operated by Six Flags, not opposed to just random parks unrelated to SF. I understand that.

So yes, the answer to my original question. Thanks.

The reason I asked is the attractions they select could be a mild indication of where they're going with their domestic parks in the future.

It might, but realistically, those parks operate on a very strict and shrinking budget. This is a park where, assuming it is built, a bunch of money will be thrown into it for big attractions. I don't think there's any real takeaways here as far as how Six Flags will go about business stateside.

Given Six Flags reputation as probably some of the poorest managed, dirtiest, most run down chain parks in the USA, not sure why anyone would pay them to license their name.

Where you stand depends on where you sit.

People may share your view, but for casual enthusiasts the words Six Flags mean big coasters and big thrills. Many American enthusiasts marvel at the beauty and charm of European parks. While for years many Europeans marveled at the size and intensity of US rides. (Granted the European parks have closed the gap in recent times)

It is an American brand with some international presence and recognition and thus more valuable than unbranded Randopark #10000. Also even if we think they suck more often than not, they have experience running theme parks and can be used to assist in many aspects of that in the role of consultants. Seriously though, "The brand isn't that great here!" doesn't matter. Buick obtained huge sales in China in spite of nearly being axed in the United States because *reasons*.

Given Six Flags reputation as probably some of the poorest managed, dirtiest, most run down chain parks in the USA, not sure why anyone would pay them to license their name.

I don't think there is a widespread reputation of SF parks being dirty and run down. My home park, SFGAm, is very clean and generally well-maintained, with a very solid ride collection, as I have experienced at some other SF parks. They are corporate-owned parks, though, so they generally lack the charm of some of the smaller, non-corporate parks.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:SIX

Don't go applying real world knowledge to the enthusiast community. If they say Six Flags is garbage it's garbage for sure

Stock price doesn't mean it's not a crap brand. Look at Comcast. Horrible, awful company but they're currently at $65.07. Just because an entity knows how to make money doesn't mean it's a good entity, it just means they're not bankrupt. Morally bankrupt is a different story.

This was not my impression of Fiesta Texas.

^ Go four hours north to see the opposite end of the spectrum. I did Fiesta Texas and then Over Texas a day later. Fiesta Texas doesn't deserve the Six Flags brand, it's too awesome of a park. Over Texas, though, they took the crown from Magic Mountain for worst.

I don't think we can make complete assumptions about the rides in the image or the quality of operations. This is much different than anything Six Flags currently owns and/or operates. If Six Flags had a park in Orlando the themed qualities and operations would probably be much greater than what we have at a park like Six Flags St. Louis. They don't have to apply the same exact plan to every park.

I don't think this property will be very comparable to the U.S. properties and I don't think we can assume they will have a Goliath RMC clone. Concept art always differs pretty substantially.

I LOVE the names of the themed areas being names of U.S. parks though. Not sure why, but it pleases me.

I've always felt like the backlash against Six Flags was a little overblown in Coaster Enthusiast circles... Yeah, some of their parks' operations leave a bit to be desired, but I generally always have a great time when I go to one, regardless of the little annoying things! Even "the great Cedar Fair" has certain things about their parks that annoy me - but not enough to detract on the brand as a whole. Also, like was stated just above, I suspect that a lot more money will be poured into this project, given that it's in Dubai, than we typically see at other Six Flags branded parks!