TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which current record coasters have you ridden?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I know... dead horse

And yet...

Well, I haven't followed that dead horse here on TPR, but I was assuming it happened here too like on the rest of the internet. I'm not sure what the consensus is on here. It's ok to disagree, I just like to hear other opinions.

^FYI, Parrot Coaster is currently the record holder, GateKeeper lost it.

So parrot coaster has broke all of these

Longest wing coaster - 4,164 feet

Fastest non-launched wing coaster - 67 mph

Tallest inversion on any roller coaster - 170 feet

Longest drop on a wing coaster - 164 feet

Most inversions on a wing coaster - 6

??

Well, lets see. . .

Parrot Coaster:

Length: 4,192.9 ft

Speed: 67.1 mph

Not to mention that GateKeeper lost it's "tallest/highest" inversion in the world record to Flash at Lewa Adventure. So yeah.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway. . . My list:

Tallest/Longest Drop On A Steel Coaster: Kingda Krap

Longest Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast

I'm not about to try to figure out all the "lame" record holders that I've been on like most inversions on a floorless coaster, tallest hybrid coaster, fastest non-launched wing coaster ect.

Largest drop on a HYBRID wooden coaster: Goliath

Fixed that for ya. Even if you count topper track as wooden (which I don't, I know I know... dead horse), half the structure is still held up by steel.

Ehh, it's a wooden coaster... simple as that. I don't care about the structure, just the track - Which is clearly wooden.

Fixed that for ya. Even if you count topper track as wooden (which I don't, I know I know... dead horse), half the structure is still held up by steel.

Ehh, it's a wooden coaster... simple as that. I don't care about the structure, just the track - Which is clearly wooden.

Ummm. . .

Looks like steel to me. . .

^ I was simply pointing out that the previous poster was calling very obvious steel track wooden. . . That is all. I didn't say anything about classifying the coaster as being wooden or steel.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Ummm. . .

Looks like steel to me. . .

Ummm. . .

Looks like wood to me. . .

In a wooden-tracked coaster, the top 2 layers of wood are made of wood... not a rectangular steel tube filled with concrete composite material. Sure, it seems that the bulk of the track on Goliath is wood, but it's probably provides less than half of the load. Topper track is great, and is the very definition of hybrid track in my book.

Wood coaster track has steel running plates, but that's much MUCH less steel than on topper track.

Note the motivation behind what Six Flags (and RMC, consequently) calls wood and hybrid is to get more records. They wanted to have the "longest hybrid coaster" in Twisted Colossus (Isn't Ultimate a much longer ride?) and fastest "wooden coaster" in Goliath. That's just fine, but know where the motivation came from... to change a 30 year industry convention. Cedar Point never EVER referred to Gemini as a hybrid; it was always a steel coaster.

As others noted, it doesn't matter and they are fun rides... but you would have to be drinking a lot of corporate kool-aid to not notice that change in the last few years. Remember, Six Flags calls Great America "the cleanest theme park in the world," and their Hurricane Harbor the "best waterpark in the country."

Just adding my 2 cents. Plenty of my friends disagree with me, but we respect each others opinions. It would be lame if we all agreed 100% . It doesn't matter at the end of the day. We are coaster and park nerds, it's ok to debate this stuff respectfully.

The Cedar Point thread stupidity has invaded another thread. Oh joy.

It's generally accepted as fact that topper track is considered wood, and I know that the poster that brought it up is fully aware of that, regardless of their opinion on the matter. So why pretend as though you aren't aware of that? Just to start arguments?

RMC considers them wood. Most people consider them wood, and everyone on this site with over 5000 posts knows that most people consider them wood. Moving on.

Tallest and largest drop on any coaster: Kingda Ka

Longest wooden coaster: Beast

Tallest and fastest inverted coaster: Wicked Twister

Longest inverted coaster: Banshee

Most inversions on an inverted coaster: Banshee and Montu

Most inversions on a winged coaster: Gatekeeper

Tallest flying coaster: Tatsu

Tallest, longest, and fastest stand-up coaster: Riddler's Revenge

Largest drop on a wooden coaster: Goliath

Fastest suspended coaster: Vortex and Ninja

Longest suspended coaster: Iron Dragon

Fastest bobsled coaster: Avalanche

World's longest hybrid - The Ultimate.

There we go. That's it. Well unless we're counting pathetic stuff:

World's Tallest/Fastest/Longest Wooden Spinning Coaster: Tyrolean Tubtwist.

Works for me, LOL! I'm still trying to figure out what the f I've ridden that's got a "record."

And for now, all I come up with The Beast. I know there are several others from

around the world that are already posted on these pages. But - I am too lazy to do it all.

And Matterhorn Bobsleds counts for First Tubular Steel Coaster, doesn't it? 1959?