TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's the worst Park/Carnival you've ever been to?

Conneaut Lake Park is the worst one I've been to in the US. But there are place in China that make it look like Tokyo Disney in comparison.

dt

Fisherman Wharf near Shanghai comes to mind.

Edited by cfc

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conneaut Lake Park is the worst one I've been to in the US. But there are place in China that make it look like Tokyo Disney in comparison.

dt

Fisherman Wharf near Shanghai comes to mind.

If I recall correctly this is the park that tried to sell Robb a bottle of Coke that someone had already taken a swig of.

There's a little podunk carnival that comes to the area in my home city each year, and everything about is terrible. Ten years ago, the wristbands were $25, and there were only 4 rides working, none that looked terribly exciting, not even a Gravitron or Round up style ride. One scrambler type, one plain ol ferris wheel, a sketchy funhouse, and the staff were the usual unbathed toothless rednecks. I might ride my bicycle down to the park they have it at every few years and walk through for the heck of it, but it's definitely the worst.

While looking to find names of the rides the one company had, I came across this link: http://amusementsafety.org/carnival_operator.asp

I will never understand the hate for SFMM. That is one of my all time favorite parks. I'm one who loves inversions, speed, and feeling of gravity. Landscaping is a low priority for me. The thrills are the top of my list. That said, I've been to Disneyland, and that's my go to place if I want theming. I choose the thrill rides over themed ones.

^ It is interesting that Pennsylvania has some of the best smaller parks in the country in Knoebels, Waldameer and Kennywood, but yet some of the worst parks like Conneaut & Lakemont.

In the case of the latter two, I feel that it is more funding and upkeep more than anything else. Both parks could be awesome if they had the right management and funding, but sadly that isn't the case.

For me it's drayton manor. The staff were clueless not opening the g force extension queue line even though the line was out the building. Idiots throwing stones at riders on the maelstrom And flume water that could probably give you diseases. The food was meh and the flats were on a terrible cycles and that were long but boring. I have mentioned the g force staff already but as a picture they are terrible. A child complained that his restraint was to tight and a staff member said **** you. This is not how to treat visitors!!!! I won't go in to the operations fully but the apocalypse staff get a mention for getting a 1 hour queue by chatting about what their date tonight and not loading riders.

• 6 months later...

Gotta give mention to my "home" park, Wild Waves in Federal Way, WA.

I've never been to SFMM, but from the descriptions of the clientele, I'd say Wild Waves has a similar issue. The south end of the Seattle area is not known for being high-class (Tukwila, about 15 miles north, recently got the honor of being ranked "2nd most dangerous city in the U.S." ) and most of the normal, respectable people will go outside and go camping, biking, etc. rather than our only water park. So that leaves every family who is too lazy/busy/poor to plan a trip to the mountains to just buy a season pass and pack themselves and kids into Wild Waves every summer. Their season passes are ridiculously cheap (less than 2 admissions) and they give them out as prizes at all the schools in the area, so every nice day during summer the place is jam-packed with people who think they own the place because they have a season pass.

Now this wouldn't be a problem except they have a total of ~15 rides and even fewer water slides. Their newest addition is the "Mountain Dew triple slide complex" with 3 tube slides, apparently something not doable for them without a sponsor. This means that wait times for everything slowly inch up throughout the day until you find yourself faced with a 1 hour wait for an old Arrow Loop & Screw. I haven't been there during the summer in years, but the last time I went, me and my ex had such a terrible time we vowed never to return.

They have a Halloween event I have been tempted to try, but after seeing they have a grand total of 2 haunted houses and no scare zones, I decided no. I might go this year just to see how depressing it is.

Food is also horrible and expensive.

Also their best coaster is a boring family woodie with barely any airtime, and best flat is a Disk'O. Not worth it at all, especially since summer admission is $40. You can go in the spring and get in for $10 for only rides, that was the only time I have enjoyed this park.

The Bluegrass Fair, with rides owned by Belle Amusements. I went last year because they had a Moonraker flat ride, but it was closed on my visit. I rode their other rides, and regretted all but two. I liked the 1001 Nachts and the Fabbri drop tower. The rickety round up with strobes blasting at your face the entire ride and the dirty Zamperla Power Surge that could barely do one complete turn before ending had me legitimately scared for my life. I didn't bother with the rest of the rides that day, and I skipped going back this year.

One huge redeeming aspect of the fair, though, was the food!

---

First day of operations last year for Kentucky Kingdom deserves an honorable mention thanks to what was probably the worst crowds I've ever witnessed at an amusement park (or almost anywhere outside of a fair).

Virtually every ride I was in line for had at least one line jumper cutting somewhere ahead or behind me. There was one instance where two teenage girls very, very obviously scooted in front of a woman standing in front of me with her kids for Dippin' Dots. The woman slowly turned around to see if anyone witnessed it, which I told her I did. She was tempted to tell them off, but figured it wouldn't be worth whatever bigger ordeal it may bring up over getting some ice cream.

While this doesn't happen much anymore, people do tend to jump out of the line to use the bathroom and return hoping their friend saved their spot. People need to learn to go before they queue.