TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from riding Wildfire and I have to say: Kolmården really nailed it with this!

It could have been the chilly weather, but it wasn't as balls-to-the-walls intense as I expected. However it was endless fun and very comfortable, meaning I could ride it all day! I later realized that if Wildfire would've been too intense, it wouldn't belong to Kolmården as much. After all, Kolmården is a family-oriented park with a focus on wildlife.

Wildfire has just the right amount of scare-factor with an _awesome_ first drop and massive speed, but it is kinda gentle to anyone brave enough to ride it to make them come back for re-rides.

Wildfire is by far the best wooden coaster I've ridden, and it now sits in my top-10 at #6.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from vacation in Copenhagen and Stockholm! I did get a chance to head over to Wildfire and finally ride this monster! It didn't disappoint at all but it just didn't beat El Toro in my mind. The coaster looks beautiful and dominates the back of the park. Also the coaster is a good walk from the entrance to the park. The hang time in the first inversion is something I've never felt and the speed in the back seat must be felt!

wild1.thumb.jpg.6c7124ce2ec5db9b4b76d1d5765cde62.jpg

wild2.jpg.2d5b62affff3908befd4e3c2a524261c.jpg

wild3.thumb.jpg.8fd44db2856f2dce611a0d37470b6237.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I read in the news today that a court case will be starting on Friday. In 2012 a female employee was killed by wolves when working alone inside the animal enclosure, and it's being claimed that the park is at fault. The former zoo chief is being charged, and the park risks having to pay a fine of 4 million SEK (468.000 USD)

Source: http://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/ost/vargexperter-kritiserar-djurparkens-hantering-av-vargarna

And here is the translation. It's from Google translate so it's far from perfect (a few obvious items corrected by me).

A long series of wolf experts will testify when the trial begins tomorrow in Norrköping District Court, after a female zookeeper bitten to death by wolves four years ago.

The tragic incident has aroused great attention both in the media and within the scientific community.

- It was a tragic accident that could have been avoided, says wolf expert Runar Naess to SVT News East.

Norwegian expert to trial

Runar Naess is one of the wolf experts will be consulted as an expert during the trial. He has worked with socialized wolves in over 20 years.

- It strongly affects the people who are actually doing this around the world. This creates a poor light of all the other researchers working with socialized wolves, but in a completely different way. Without dominance and struggle that led to the accident in 2012, says Runar Naess.

Suspected breach of Working Environment Act

It was in June 2012 that the 30-year-old animal keeper went in alone to the eight male wolves, she has worked with since they were puppies. She had done several times before, but on this day she never came out of the enclosure. Her lifeless body was found some distance into the enclosure.

The then chief Zoologiske prosecuted on suspicion of working crimes, including manslaughter, felony and Kolmarden Zoo risk a fine of four million crowns.

- We deny the allegations. For us it is above all a tragic accident that has taken place here and our thoughts now go primarily to the families and to our employees here at Kolmarden, says Christer Fogelmarck President Park and Resorts.

Extensive research has taken time

It has been more than four years since the accident, and now begins the trial in the District Court of Norrköping. That it has taken so long partly because there have been several new elements to the investigation, says prosecutor Jan Olof Andersson. There is an extensive investigation and the hearing is expected to last for 18 days.

- It has been a very complicated investigation. There are many people who have heard and we have got to do two repetitions, both omtagen comes to experts experts have heard of and want to share their knowledge, says prosecutor Jan Olof Andersson.

Management Methodology questioned

Among other things, it is about criticism of the zoo's way of handling the socialized wolves. Several researchers and experts in the field, questions to the Kolmarden Zoo worked with dominance management methodology coupled with that one did not take the Works available, existing collateral.

- Simplified, there are two methods of handling, the so-called domination method where you go in and dominate the wolves and, to some extent, press down the wolves. And a so-called distraction method to distract the wolves, get them to think about anything else associated with an event. Kolmarden has used the first method, while the majority of the scientists working with socialized wolves use the second method, says Jan Olof Andersson.

- I generally believe that there are several different approaches to both wolves and other animals. When it comes to our business so it goes first for us, the highest priority is always safety. We do not know the risks, but based on the current state of knowledge and events in general, we have developed our approach over time, says Christer Fogelmarck President Park and Resorts.

The operator would not have worked alone

In addition to the working method wolf experts criticize that the zoo allowed working alone in the wolf enclosure.

- After the wolves become five months old should be at least two people who manage them, says a wolf experts included in the preliminary investigation to SVT News East.

Furthermore, he points to other places in the world, working with socialized wolves.

- There are always at least two people, he says.

Furthermore, he explains that wolves are potentially dangerous animals.

- It has socialized them, which means they are no longer shy of humans. But it has not removed the danger, the expert said to SVT East.

"The adult wolves can be dangerous"

He also questions the failure to observe the general council, which has existed since the 80s, when it comes to working with socialized wolves.

- The adult wolves can be dangerous, you should not go in alone and you should have with alarm. There should be a plan for how to react if something happens, he says.

There have also been previous incidents where the wolves behave threateningly towards staff and visitors. These incidents should have been a warning, according to experts and researchers.

• 4 weeks later...

^Just tossed it in google translate and from what I could gather, the court (or someone?) decided they didn't have a detailed environmental plan, and they're now saying the ride impacts wildlife too greatly to continue to exist. If they can prepare that detailed plan and have it approved, they may be okay, but they're saying it may not be likely to be approved and the ride's future is currently "uncertain."

Not sure of the specifics with how likely they are to be approved at this point, but the video seemed pretty depressed. Holy sh*t.

I haven't really been updating the process too much to the forum over the last year since construction resumed.

In general one can say that it got appealed to the highest level possible, there is no level above this. It's not usual for the Land and Environment High Court to try these kind of cases, but they found there to be reason to take up the case and the process have been going on this last year.

There is no way of telling what will happen now, but they are not going to make them tear the ride down (as standard procedure they will however be asked to tear it down, not doing so will likely result in some fines to pay for the park).

The park will likely apply for a detailed plan for the area, they are probably prepared for this outcome. Usually it takes years to create a new zoning plan, but the park have the full support of the town so it is likely to go much faster in this case. Problem is that such a zoning plan will also be appealed through all the same levels as the building permit was, so it won't really be a quick process.

The only thing we can be certain of is that it is very uncertain how it will unfold. We have to wait a while and see how it plays out, but there is no reason to worry for the rides being. The question is if it will be able to operate under some kind of exception until the zoning plan is finished or if it will be closed until a final plan is granted.

^It's a custom built terrain coaster that has lots of structures specifically designed for the soil and rock type at Kolmården. If a park can afford to relocate it and redesign the structure, might as well just buy a brand new RMC.

I really hope the management have planned that this is going to happen and will survive all the craziness. Personal feelings of putting this super high up my bucket list aside, I really think Wildfire will change Kolmården forever.

I think that starting a petition to "save" the ride is going too far here.

Kolmarden wouldn't have spent so much money on this coaster if they thought there was ever a chance of it getting demolished. Governments are very picky about having all documents and paperwork completed correctly no matter the person or company involved. I've seen zoning boards and local governments get picky over where a person builds a deck on the back of their house.

I feel as though the governement will not make Kolmarden tear the ride down unless there is substantial proof that the coaster is harming the environment. As long as Kolmarden can get the accreditation that they need, the ride will be fine. It's a scary situation, but I can not think of a time where a roller coaster was demolished for environmental issues. Usually this stuff is all ironed out before, or it would not be approved in the first place.

^Just tossed it in google translate and from what I could gather, the court (or someone?) decided they didn't have a detailed environmental plan, and they're now saying the ride impacts wildlife too greatly to continue to exist. If they can prepare that detailed plan and have it approved, they may be okay, but they're saying it may not be likely to be approved and the ride's future is currently "uncertain."
I feel as though the governement will not make Kolmarden tear the ride down unless there is substantial proof that the coaster is harming the environment. As long as Kolmarden can get the accreditation that they need, the ride will be fine. It's a scary situation, but I can not think of a time where a roller coaster was demolished for environmental issues.

Unfortunately, unless you build on a designated or former brownfield site, any theme park development is going to have at least some form of negative environmental impact, be it short-term or long-term. The only thing even close to a "environmentally-friendly" theme park that I can think of is a little amusement park in Wales, GreenWood Forest Park, which has very few actual rides. Maybe the BillyBird "parks" in the Netherlands too. Theme parks are, by their very nature, power-hungry developments made from steel and concrete, though Kolmarden Wildlife Park used to be a zoo exclusively.

There is no way of telling what will happen now, but they are not going to make them tear the ride down (as standard procedure they will however be asked to tear it down, not doing so will likely result in some fines to pay for the park).

I do feel like Kolmarden is at a disadvantage here considering the circumstances, but I don't think Wildfire will be torn down either. I'm all for environmentally friendly theme parks (man), but if people are suddenly so concerned about the environmental impact, I feel like they would realize that the "damage" has already been done, and that going through the process of demolishing Wildfire would make an even more negative short-term impact.

I feel like the worst case scenario for people like us (and the park itself by consequence) is that Wildfire is forced into closed / SBNO status while the process is going on.

One thing though - is this strictly a legal thing, or are there ulterior motives at work here? If this were in the U.S., I feel like whomever would have originally opposed the coaster's construction would have thrown a large sum of money at someone to try and have the case opened back up again.

I doubt this is anything to be concerned about. The owners are probably a few steps ahead and I bet planned for this as a worse case scenario. Like every other challenge of many that they faced to date, this is just another obstacle. They would bever have built the ride if they had any thought that it would be shut down at any point of this process.

This is from Kolmarden's website.

Press release here

Background

In April 2014 Kolmarden announced plans to build a roller coaster of wood with the estimated premiere season in 2016. In October 2014 granted the construction and environmental protection committee planning application for the course, Wildfire. Interested parties, which consists mainly of local residents, appealed the decision. In December 2014 stopped the county government building to investigate if zoning was needed, and Kolmarden interrupted thereby preparatory earthworks for the runway. In February 2015 lifted the provincial government building permit and demanded that a detailed plan would be drawn up before the decision on the building permit could be taken. In March 2015 the County Administrative Board appealed the decision to the Land and Environment Court gave Kolmarden right thing. Then chose the party concerned to appeal against the above decision to the Land and Environmental Court. Wildfire was inaugurated 28 June 2016. Today, the Land and Environmental Court announced that zoning is required. Thus terminated the building permit.

common questions and answers

What happens now?

We will put ourselves in order to then together with the municipality to see what options we face.

Wildfire will be open during Halloween?

No. Wildfire will remain closed until further notice.

When will Wildfire to get open again?

We can not currently provide information.

We will do our utmost to be able to open again Wildfire.

Must Wildfire demolished?

We will do everything we can for it not to happen.

Why did you not produced a detailed plan from the start?

We have followed the directives that we received from the relevant authorities and then told us to apply for planning permission, which we did and which was granted. In the judgment in Land and Environmental Court now pulled the building permit back afterwards.

- We had hoped for a different outcome, but we are well prepared for the different scenarios. Before we know how we should proceed, we will now put us into the reasons for the decision. Then we hit the municipality to evaluate our options, says Christer Fogelmarck, acting CEO of Kolmarden.