TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

Am at Kolmården right now, Wildfire's been up and down all day. Right now the second train (I think?) is running with the front row closed off.

Coaster itself is super awesome though.

How's the wait time?

I was there today as well, it wasn't that bad at all most of the time (10-20 min on average maybe), but it was in the middle of the week so it might be longer during weekends. I'm not completely sure but it might be affected by the dolphin show right next to it as well since it's rather popular, I'm guessing at least some people there will prioritize it over wildfire and such.

Off topic, but it was a great ride, glad to have a roller coaster of this "tier" closer to Stockholm, there's Helix as well but that's much further away.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning a trip to Kolmården in August, and it looks like it will be another solo adventure for me. Right now I'm looking at August 10th as the most likely date. Any locals (or anyone else who might be in the area around that time) interested in meeting up?

I will also probably do Gröna Lund while I'm in the area.

^My group of 4 will be at Kolmarden on the 5th and Grona Lund on the 7th!

Would love to join you, but unfortunately I'm working until August 8th so that won't work for me. But thanks for the offer!

I will go at the end of August, and I think I will have to go alone cause all my friends want to go next summer, but honestly how can I wait one more year to ride this beast?

So if you mind go on these dates let me know! It would be better to go in group than to have a "single rider" trip.

I think I will visit Liseberg too!

I finally rode it...wait it's only just open, this is new to me. Nevermind that. Okea, so I rode it and can only say that it is awesome! To put some context into this short review, I recently rode Taron on the opening night and a few days before I rode Helix, so my top 3 was already changing more than usual. To get back, this ride is awesome. If you take the right (or bottom) trip round the park the first thing you will see is the backside of pre-drop. It looks a bit small from there. But once you go to the station it's quite big. The lift and the pre-drop area give you a very nice view of the surroundings. Of course, due to the ride being quite a bit above the lake level, the height really enhances the feel for the area. The first drop is nice and steep with a nice curve at the bottom. I rode it frontseat on the first run, backseat on the second. Do ride in the back! The drop was a ejector from top to bottom. Best first drop, even above Expedition G-force for me. Thje zero-g-stall, seriously the person who thought of that deserves a medal. That element is insane. Perfect floater from start to end. Then a very nice but fast transition into the banked hill. Also very nice element, gives a good but short pop of air before pulling you into the next bend.

What follows is a great combination of a banked hill followed by and even better airtime hill and the way into the second inversion. This one took me a bit by surprise since it also gave a very nice zero-g feeling. You kinda floated through it, both back and front. The way down to the station turn around gives a good view of the area as well as a feel for the speed. The station turnaround gives a pop of air, which is better in front than back. The ending is a mixed bag for me. The barrel roll is just insane, but in a good constant way. I was expecting something like the roll on helix, but this one was way different. The only 'lesser' part of the ride is the last hill which gives no air, front or back. Also the turns are just not snappy enough for me. This was literally my only letdown. The train tears through the track from start to finish! Awesome, must ride. Best ride in Europe for me, right before Helix and Taron.

So, what seat is the best? To me, G-wise the right backseat. The left back is also very good, but the right backseat felt better on some turns. Front is great for the view, but the forces are a bit tamer. For me the perferance for backseat is strange since I am a front seat guy 9 out of 10 times. A very very solid ride!

The only thing I didn't like were the operations, but I got to cut some slack due to this being their first big ride. The problems I have are two fold: When you said you wanted to wait for a certain seat they did allow it, but in a very rude way. Now, if I was declaring I'd do something they would be totally right, but I asked it nicely every single time. The second problem is in the way the grouper works. Insead of assigning people to their row, they just let people trough, which caused some gates to be doubled up and some empty. While they did correct this it often took a while which slowed down the operations. Then again, I can understand why this is, it's a new thing for kolmarden as well as Europeans mostly (8 out of 10 parks let you pick your own seat and let you wait for your prefered seat no questions asked). I think that when the season end operations are going to be much better!

On the side note, not that they need lightning fast operations, they ran two trains the whole day while the wait was 1-2 trains max! Absolute thumbs up for that. I would understand if they'd have run only one. Stange however is the short wait considering the main parking was almost full that day. The ride is awesome, but feels a bit out of place in the current context of the park. However, I will complain no more, this ride is so awesome I want to ride it again and again and again! I can't wait to see more RMC in Europe! Kudo's to RMC and Kolmarden for building this!

Also, some pictures of this ride!

SAM_3895.thumb.JPG.b31eef9ab711eb581f17652ea63172a4.JPG

You see, that view is amazing!

SAM_3945.thumb.JPG.4739cbbe0d307b0287bf5b3acf0a434f.JPG

All happy faces, I can dig that

SAM_3947.thumb.JPG.a107a66f71c27b96e8b759f0777f56a2.JPG

This element is so well done. Even gives a small pop of air while being twisty at the same time.

SAM_3953.thumb.JPG.b524ddd393e89becec76ca3a3926d16c.JPG

I am not even sure if I wan the holes to be filled up with wood, tis looks so good this way.

SAM_3961.thumb.JPG.b88c186e4313368fd60c715002692486.JPG

SAM_4150.thumb.JPG.5d18dcf6b46e873824cf6735d140c936.JPG

I had pretty much the same experience as you, really an awesome ride!

As for the operations, I was also a bit surprised that you couldn't choose where to sit yourself, especially since the platform area is large enough for it. As it is now it reminded me of how it was on Jetline at Gröna Lund years ago, before they themed the whole area and removed a switchback in the station and thus freeing up more space. But as you said this is their first big ride (well, if were not counting Safari as a ride of course) and it's just been opened. The operations will probably be more streamlined in the future. All in all I found it to be a very small issue thanks to the short lines. Think I rode it 9 times and still got to see everything else I wanted to see in the park, including the dolphin show and 2 times on Safari.

As for the lack of queues, I think that the late opening of the ride as well as the fact that you pretty much need a car to get to Kolmården has meant that youths haven't discovered the ride and park as much as maybe expected, yet..

Wildfire is still a hot topic on the parks social media pages, there are some posts where people are stating that Wildfire has "destroyed" the park and that they probably won't come back. But on the other hand a similar amount of people are stating that they will/have visited the park thanks to Wildfire. The coming months will sure be interesting, especially with the upcoming court ruling.

thumb_sam_4150.jpg

This terrain turn is gorgeous! I'm still hoping one of the parks in Florida (read: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay) takes the dive and signs with Rocky Mountain Construction to build (or convert) a wooden beast on par with Wildfire and some of their other recent creations. This one looks insane and it kills me that I most likely won't get over to Kolmarden any time soon to try it for myself!

Just found this video on youtube, I was wondering if the clip on the right has been speeded up or not The difference between the two vids is just unbelievable! If it was true, I am hoping it will be rainy on my visit at the park

I can now confirm that I will be at Kolmärden on August 10th. I will be travelling by myself, so if anyone wants to meet up on that date let me know. I will also be in Norrköping in the evening on the 9th so if any locals wants to meet up for a beer, I'm also up for that as well.

I'm heading to Kolmarden with a group, but one of us is rather tall and he recently had a bad experience in a park with his height. Can anybody tell me if Wildfire has a max height limit and how big that is? I can't find it.

I'm heading to Kolmarden with a group, but one of us is rather tall and he recently had a bad experience in a park with his height. Can anybody tell me if Wildfire has a max height limit and how big that is? I can't find it.

I'm 6'6" (198 cm), and didn't have any issues. I didn't see a max height posted anywhere, either. Enjoy!

So Wildfire broke today around 3:30pm and never reopened. We didn't get to ride. Major fail!!!!! It appears they are still having problems with the restraint cylinders because we watched them take several lap bars apart to get people out of both trains. We're hoping to give it another try on Monday.

So Wildfire broke today around 3:30pm and never reopened. We didn't get to ride. Major fail!!!!! It appears they are still having problems with the restraint cylinders because we watched them take several lap bars apart to get people out of both trains. We're hoping to give it another try on Monday.

Here's hoping you make it on Monday!

Okay, I'll bite. What did you do between the morning and 330?

We were able to get on it on Monday! We rode 13 times between 12p-6p. There was about a 10min wait all day, The ride is definitely awesome! Not my favorite coaster ever but it is definitely my favorite RMC (been on all but Lightning Rod and Joker for reference). They were still having issues throughout the day with train parking / lapbars as we had to be power packed out of the train in the station. Tons of airtime though! Definitely worth it to come out here and ride!

We were able to get on it on Monday! We rode 13 times between 12p-6p. There was about a 10min wait all day, The ride is definitely awesome! Not my favorite coaster ever but it is definitely my favorite RMC (been on all but Lightning Rod and Joker for reference). They were still having issues throughout the day with train parking / lapbars as we had to be power packed out of the train in the station. Tons of airtime though! Definitely worth it to come out here and ride!

Good to hear. I sent a message to Kolmarden via FB and they confirmed, that Wildfire is running. Really looking forward riding it next week.

Great to hear! So glad it was open for you! Was there any particular element on the coaster that was your favorite?