TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

It looooookkks soooooo goooooood! Can't wait to see it done!

(Also is that in NL2?)

It doesn't look like it, honestly. The speed through the layout looks a little choppy, like it was keyframed in Maya, Cinema 4D, or another program as opposed to being simulated in NoLimits 2. But I'm probably wrong.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, is that really the view from that drop? This thing is gonna give Lightning Rod a run for its money for sure!

I agree!

This has such a complete layout! There are so many different elements and they flow very well together. I honestly think that Lightning Rod and Wildfire will compete for "best wooden coaster on earth" once they both open. I plan on riding both of these immediately!

It looooookkks soooooo goooooood! Can't wait to see it done!

(Also is that in NL2?)

It doesn't look like it, honestly. The speed through the layout looks a little choppy, like it was keyframed in Maya, Cinema 4D, or another program as opposed to being simulated in NoLimits 2. But I'm probably wrong.

The original renderings were done in NL2 and the sounds from the video were from NL2 so that leads me to believe that it had something to do with this video. It does look kinda keyframed though so it's definitely not a VIP animation, but still, whoever did this did a really solid job.

As for the actual ride, this took my hype for Wildfire and multiplied this x1000. The layout looks incredible, follows the terrain, goes through it's supports, and keeps its speed until the very end. This and Lightning Rod look to replace Boulder Dash and The Beast as the best wooden terrain coasters around. It really shows how much RMC is changing the industry

The stall is the first element after the drop! For once a corkscrew-ish element doesn't get stuck near the end with minimal momentum.

Seemed long, but the clock says not. Just sooo many elements at such a pace.

Is it just me, or do these RMC rides seem to lose speed more quickly than their large GG counterparts? For the initial height of this ride, the last 30 seconds of ride was incredibly close to the ground.

RMC's spend a lot of time close to the ground specifically so they don't lose speed. They all come roaring back into the station and are intense from start to finish.

Is it just me, or do these RMC rides seem to lose speed more quickly than their large GG counterparts? For the initial height of this ride, the last 30 seconds of ride was incredibly close to the ground.

RMC's spend a lot of time close to the ground specifically so they don't lose speed. They all come roaring back into the station and are intense from start to finish.

Well no, actually, Being close to the ground causes it to loose more speed, not less. It's low to the ground because that's how they like to build their coasters, an I must say: it works for them.

If the pacing is anything like in the video this will be better than sex!

Here's some great photo's from the park's cable car showing of the awesome view:

That sure is a pretty setting for a park! Wildfire is looking awesome, if only one day I'll be able to hit up Kolmarden.

The original renderings were done in NL2 and the sounds from the video were from NL2 so that leads me to believe that it had something to do with this video. It does look kinda keyframed though so it's definitely not a VIP animation, but still, whoever did this did a really solid job.

As a 3D rendering guy I like speculating on this kind of stuff.

They could have re-used the sounds from the original video in the new one, and you can definitely export a piece of geometry that follows the track spline to translate the layout into another program. I know that NoLimits 2 can produce some pretty fantastic visuals, but I'm pretty sure that they're not as good out of the box as what's presented in that new video, especially with the big body of water, the terrain and all of the trees. Either they did the rendering and animation using some other program, or they baked the textures into a NoLimits 2 simulation (again, I lean far toward the former). Either way, I do agree that whoever did it did an incredible job.

I wonder, can Unreal Engine generate those kind of visuals?

I have to say that it looks like that ride never lets up. Holy crap, its hauling throughout the entire ride! That view might be a top contender for best view on a coaster! I still have yet to have the chance to ride an RMC coaster but this one looks like it's top notch, just like the rest.

Jimmy "Bring an RMC Coaster to Arizona!" Bo

As a 3D rendering guy I like speculating on this kind of stuff.

They could have re-used the sounds from the original video in the new one, and you can definitely export a piece of geometry that follows the track spline to translate the layout into another program. I know that NoLimits 2 can produce some pretty fantastic visuals, but I'm pretty sure that they're not as good out of the box as what's presented in that new video, especially with the big body of water, the terrain and all of the trees. Either they did the rendering and animation using some other program, or they baked the textures into a NoLimits 2 simulation (again, I lean far toward the former). Either way, I do agree that whoever did it did an incredible job.

I wonder, can Unreal Engine generate those kind of visuals?

It's definitely possible that they could have gotten the sounds from NL2 instead of sampling them from real life. Now that I've looked at it more I see that there is no possible way that NL2 could produce those kinds of visuals, as powerful of a program it is. The textures are very different and it overall doesn't feel or look the same. I also do some 3D modeling/rendering so I also like to speculate about this stuff

Anyway, the view on this coaster... how about that? Watch out MF, you have some serious competition under construction

Well no, actually, Being close to the ground causes it to loose more speed, not less. It's low to the ground because that's how they like to build their coasters, an I must say: it works for them.

Hmm, interesting. How does the math work on that? The way I see it, the maximum speed will come from the height of the first drop and speed at the top, and the loss of speed comes from friction. Since larger hills use more track than smaller ones, being lower to the ground should mean less loss of speed to friction.

^It has more to do with the properties of the hills themselves. More turns creates more friction, which cuts off energy.

If my understanding is correct, higher velocity (lower to the ground) is more impacted by friction. So yes, the lower it the ground, the more quickly it loses speed.

Another way too at it is friction only impacts kinetic energy, not potential, and a train has the same total energy (kinetic and potential) whether it is elevated and slow or fast and low.

Excuse me for nerding out there lol.