TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

About the length, which is impressive IMO, are people really of the sentiment that this is the optimal length for this aggressive of a ride?

I mean, I've personally been kind of hoping for the 400 foot tall, 85 degree drop, 9,500 foot long, 14 airtime hill, 5 tunnel Intamin Megacoaster to arrive and leave absolutely no debate about the best coaster in the world one of these days. It certainly would be a nice thing for this ride to have one more "suicide hill" or "insane double helix", would it not? Too much of a good thing?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I've personally been kind of hoping for the 400 foot tall, 85 degree drop, 9,500 foot long, 14 airtime hill, 5 tunnel Intamin Megacoaster to arrive and leave absolutely no debate about the best coaster in the world one of these days. It certainly would be a nice thing for this ride to have one more "suicide hill" or "insane double helix", would it not? Too much of a good thing?

If that came long, then sure. But just because you've got height, speed, and length, doesn't always mean you're going to be the best. Just look at Steel Dragon 2000.

I don't even know what to say except…HOLY CRAP!

So glad to see Wooden Coasters taken into the next generation. I also hope this means more Intamin pre-fab woodie sales, as competition from RMC hopefully lights a fire under Intamin...

I don't think there's much point in analyzing the layout at least until we have a better POV, but I do have one thought...

If I were to picture my perfect roller coaster, and it seems like RMC really is trying to build "perfect roller coasters", there's one thing this ride is missing, as awesome as it looks. And that's El Toro's suicide hills, two big ones, back to back. They're special not just because of the speed you maintain going over the top, but their sheer size means that in the back you get that face-ripping airtime practically all the way down to the bottom. This ride looks like it keeps with RMC's tendencies to have lots of little pops of extreme airtime, but I'm missing the one giant hill, one singular moment of extended ejector airtime. It's something I'd really like to see RMC attempt at some point. Bunny hops are fun and all, but you need that height to get airtime that lasts.

This is having not ridden Outlaw Run though, maybe if I did I'd forget all about this minor quibble.

Does anyone know why with both this and Outlaw Run they have that little hill right before the first drop? Seems like it would be more intense without it, if you hit the first drop at a faster speed.

EDIT: One thing I do love is it looks like you hit that last inversion with a ton of speed, which is kind of new for RMC. Ok yes I'm totally analyzing the layout now, sorry.

Wildfire does look a bit similar to El Toro in this way. A slow turn around at elevation before a near vertical drop followed by two ejector hills, except with Wildfire you're not right side up at the top of the ejector hills. New and improved Toro ... but with more twistyness, more elements, terrain and inversions.

The only way this won't be the World's #1 coaster is if RMC builds something better for 2015.

Watching the video with the interview of Fred Grubb there seemed to be a hint that this is their next topper track coaster (as in, no topper track for 2015). Perhaps that means 2015 will just be Iron track refurbishments (Colossus? Boss? Riverside Cyclone?). Perhaps I misunderstood and they will have a topper track ride for 2015.

The most important question - will it have seat belts?

(just kidding)

I think you might misunderstand me. I'm not saying Wildfire is all that similar to El Toro, I'm just pointing out a particular element that this coaster lacks, that I think it should have. Because it's one of the most exciting coaster elements I've ever experienced and with all this track length it seems like an obvious thing to put in.

Just playing coaster designer, I like doing that.

Which is a more comfortable ride (restraints wise) - Intamin woodie or RMC woodie? I haven't been on Outlaw Run. I'm sure plenty of folks could answer this question though

I'd say it's a toss-up. I personally don't find either of them "uncomfortable", but the reality also is that with a ride that is that extreme, it does need to hold you in TIGHT. So people have complained about them being more restrictive. But I don't have an issue with them and I'd call them equals. (And this is having been in both types of Intamin woodie restraints that are on El Toro, Balder, Colossos, and T Express)

Wildfire does look a bit similar to El Toro in this way. A slow turn around at elevation before a near vertical drop followed by two ejector hills, except with Wildfire you're not right side up at the top of the ejector hills. New and improved Toro ... but with more twistyness, more elements, terrain and inversions.

I wouldn't consider this to be "new and improved" El Toro in any way at all.

In fact, I think that the only comparison that you'll be able to make between Wildfire and El Toro is the comparison between their places on coaster polls. They honestly look like completely different rides. El Toro is basically a double out-and-back and Wildfire looks to just romp all over the place like someone scribbled on a piece of paper!

I know I'm being somewhat negative about this coaster, but that's only because it doesn't look like my cup of tea. I'm sure it will be absolutely kick-butt. I'm sure it will put Kolmården on the map. It's fantastic that Rocky Mountain Construction is building a new coaster in Europe. If I were to ride it I don't see how I would like it better than El Toro (or Phoenix, my #1), but I could always be proven wrong.

Wildfire:

Is it a twister? You bet it is!

Is it an out and back? Yes.

It is a terrain monster? Yeah, that too.

Is it a woodie? Sure.

Is it a wooden hybrid? Yeah.

Categories don't matter so much when it's a great ride. The more outside defined categories we get with coasters, the better! I think about some of my favorites like Mind Bender and Legend. They're a little bit of everything

With restraints, it certainly makes a difference if they staple you in or not. Just from personal experience, the ops at El Toro staple you hard, whereas Balder they didn't push down hard at all. Not sure if that is still the case, but Scandinavia seems to be less strict (but still safe).

To me, this is definitely the next level wood coaster. Outlaw Run seems like a preview. It will be interesting to see how Wildfire and the new SfGAm Goliath compare as ride experiences.

The leg bars didn't hurt me on Outlaw Run, but did uncomfortably push my legs into the bench. They also force an atypical, cramped riding position, but if that's what allows for this style of coaster to have lap bars, then fair enough. It also seems that the Gerstlauer and RMC trains are officially required to touch the rider firmly, with the Gerstlauer trains being more comfortable for this. While you always seem to be essentially stapled on El Toro, it either doesn't feel quite as tight by design or isn't required to be, plus you're in a more typical seating position.

^^ I also find it a bit strange that Outlaw Run's seat force you to put your feet back a bit instead of perpendicular or forward like the other coasters. I guess the design help making the car more compact so the length of five cars on a PTC train can fit in six cars. It seems like NTaG's seats are like that as well.

^^ I think the front row of each car needs shin bar because the car connectors and wheels are right in front of the riders without much protection. But the shin bars on the back row of each car seem kind of pointless. RMC could use the shape of the floor to eliminate the riders' legs from moving around just like Intamin did.

Are the trains on Iron Rattler from RMC or Gerstlauer? Are they any different than the trains on topper track?

Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant have the Gerstlauer trains. Outlaw Run and every coaster built after will use RMC trains.

Has there ever been an accident that would have been prevented with shin bars? Why are they popping up everywhere?

Mr. Freeze has lower leg/shin bars...though I still couldn't tell you why exactly they are there. I feel that on some rides people whose legs do not touch the ground may need some sort of protection to keep their feet from flying in the air.

Has there ever been an accident that would have been prevented with shin bars? Why are they popping up everywhere?

The way the lap bars is designed, they need the shin bar in order to keep the guests in the seat. It's because they keep the body "bent" the correct way, and makes it impossible to "slip out". Without them the safety of the passengers could not be guaranteed.

It's necessary because of the more extreme things the rides are doing nowadays. For an example the old Schwarzkopf loopers don't need shin bars, because the only real place they could throw you out would be the loop, but during those you are pressed down against the seats.