TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

RMC is becoming the B&M of the wood coaster industry. While GCI will probably end up like Arrow, old and used up. I'm sure they will still sell coasters, but RMC will be the first company parks will look towards when it comes to wood coasters. That I have no doubt about. GCI is going to have to step it up to compete, even though their is no competition.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks astounding. But I have one massive question.

This cannot be real. Is this just a limitation of their early rendering? I know coasters like I305 support themselves in a similar manner, but I have serious doubts that topper track could support itself like that. I know it's been said that an updated rendering is coming, so I'm assuming that this element must have some additional support over it that isn't rendered here.

It's because it's not. I'm quite confident that they used the professional license of NL2 to make the video (the station was by far the biggest hint) and this looks like a rendering from some sort of custom program that superimposed/photoshopped/whatever-the-right-term-is'ed the ride into the landscape of the existing park. Because NL2 still can't do prefab wooden supports past 90 degrees (either roll or pitch) instead of spending the tons of time to do custom supporting of the inversions by hand, they just decided to leave the track unsupported.

RMC is becoming the B&M of the wood coaster industry.

Um. no. RMC is more like the Intamin of the wood coaster industry. Pushing the envelope and making people go WTF when they see one of their designs. If they were building mildly thrilling that feel exactly the same over and over again, then they'd be the B&M of the wood coaster industry. Actually, I think GCI has already claimed that position!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I was referring to how B&M was during the 90's, when they were taking the spotlight away from Arrow, and doing new things. The same could be said here. I do agree that B&M has really lost it's spark. Thankfully, Raptor was built pre 2000s

Happy dance completed!

Random unsolicited thoughts:

--I've long had my doubts as to whether any park could or would beat the stellar terrain of Outlaw Run (or Boulder Dash or Beast) with another quality coaster like an RMC. Likely Dollywood, maybe BGW if they happened to go that route, but otherwise I kept drawing a blank. Well, this kind of terrain coaster is exactly what I was dreaming of!

--Wow, Robb was really spot on with the "not gimmicky" angle. I kept thinking maybe it would have something technically "gimmicky," but in an enthusiast-popular way. Nope, not gimmicky at all! (I'm not counting wooden inversions as gimmicks since now that reliable technologies are here, it's starting to seem pretty natural to me.)

--One of my (unposted) ideas was a terrain-based RMC airtime machine...like many of us I'm sure, I have a small, meaningless claim to being "right." Yay!

--I think this was handled very well by everyone involved. No leaks, no inappropriately overt hints, but lots of wild imagination and tantalizing teases and FUN! Even with all the other ideas I can't think of anything I consider a letdown.

--I agree with others--how awesome is it that not only do they have the guts to call this the "best" wooden coaster, but even better, we're totally on board with that possibility and not shaking our heads or laughing about it!

--I think this was handled very well by everyone involved. No leaks, no inappropriately overt hints, but lots of wild imagination and tantalizing teases and FUN! Even with all the other ideas I can't think of anything I consider a letdown.

Right?! This has been SOOOO fun! Kinda sad it's over, but totally stoked to see this coaster come to life.

--Wow, Robb was really spot on with the "not gimmicky" angle. I kept thinking maybe it would have something technically "gimmicky," but in an enthusiast-popular way. Nope, not gimmicky at all! (I'm not counting wooden inversions as gimmicks since now that reliable technologies are here, it's starting to seem pretty natural to me.)

Here's the thing - if they had presented me with something "gimmicky" that was an unproven element, like a launch or an elevator drop or something, I don't think I could have gotten as excited. Because introducing a gimmick would also introduce the possibility for it to fail as a gimmick and become a weak spot of the ride.

But when I looked at this layout, it was like "wow, there isn't a single moment on the ride that doesn't have the potential to be not just great, but FREAKING AMAZING." It was like I was looking at someone's crazy No Limits dream creation that would not even be possible in reality, but here it is in reality!

I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to see someone TRY a launched woodie or push the envelope to do something crazy like that, and while I'd also get excited about it, I couldn't get THIS excited. Because this ride left no skepticism. It just looked PERFECT.

And THIS...

how awesome is it that not only do they have the guts to call this the "best" wooden coaster, but even better, we're totally on board with that possibility and not shaking our heads or laughing about it!

Anyone who has ridden Outlaw Run, Texas Giant, or Iron Rattler, and then puts that frame of mine when looking at the layout of this ride, yeah, you can totally see it and 100% buy into it.

Crazy!

One of my favorite things to see happen in this industry is when smaller-scale, seemingly unknown-except-to-locals parks goes out on a limb and makes a huge investment like this. This coaster looks fantastic, especially with some of the terrain plunges and low-to-ground inversions.

Scandinavia has really become a major theme park destination region. Now I just need to get myself there.

Can't wait for the upcoming POV!

2. The ride will produce some of the strongest airtime ever attempted.

While I don't doubt what you say, I wouldn't expect the airtime to be more in physical intensity than what already exists. According to the ASTM Acceleration charts, the maximum allowed amount of airtime is -1.5 G's after 0.5 seconds. (though it can go as intense as -2 G's after 0.2 seconds, such a quick transition to those forces would probably cause an extremely uncomfortable jerk.) I remember seeing that S&S's El Locos generally pull -1.5 G's on their main drops, and I suspect that El Toro, Skyrush, etc. probably pull in the -1.2 to -1.5 range for the majority of the ride. So, basically what I'm saying is that assuming what you are saying is the truth, I'd be expecting a mix of El Toro and Outlaw Run, which is totally fine by me.

Hey Mattias and Johan, I'm curious to see if my predictions are correct. Might you be able to possibly procure those numbers for us?

DORK!

Outlaw Run, but much, much, longer?

YES

At first I thought "eh just a bunch of OR elements strung together?" but then I finished the POV (wow we're really getting this ADD!?) and that looks awesome. Love the layout! Flowing, had a great feel and movement to it.

I NEED to get out there for this beast!

Goliath should really cement the idea and drive the point home just how much more awesome Wildfire will be. It's really awesome to have high-quality, exciting coasters to look forward to again, especially since B&Ms have diminished in quality over the years and it seems that we may see fewer new Intamin installations stateside.

Congrats to Kolmarden. For a park that we knew very little about you surely are making a statement with this ride.

And this is EXACTLY why it's a game changer. A park that most of our members have never heard of, hell, we didn't even have an entry in the Park Index for it when this was announced, to drop a ride of this caliber into and all of a sudden we are planning an international trip around... that's HUGE!!!

Tell me how often that happens? When was the last time a park, that's been around for as long as the 60s, that you've never heard of, all of a sudden stands out as a MUST VISIT location, with a ride that could be #1 in the world?

So true about this being a rare occurence. The only fair comparison I can think of Holiday Park building Expedition GeForce for the park's 30th year. I know it was before the internet was fully established, but I think Holiday Park was unknown park to most at the time.

This coaster is all sorts of WOW. Looks to be the perfect blend of The Voyage and Outlaw Run! And just like, The Voyage the coaster seems to pack some heat and pick up speed as the layout evolves.

With that said, I don't think this is the "game changer" I was expecting once the teaser was released. Don't know what it's missing. It's unique, but definitely not a game changer... Wildfire is nothing we haven't seen before. Maybe it's just me, but I do hope that RMC's continues to up the ante and keep these things rolling out. As someone mentioned in this thread, they have made a name for themselves and it's safe to say that they have entered the iconic realm of the amusement industry.

I don't think this is the "game changer" I was expecting once the teaser was released. Don't know what it's missing. It's unique, but definitely not a game changer...
Congrats to Kolmarden. For a park that we knew very little about you surely are making a statement with this ride.

And this is EXACTLY why it's a game changer. A park that most of our members have never heard of, hell, we didn't even have an entry in the Park Index for it when this was announced, to drop a ride of this caliber into and all of a sudden we are planning an international trip around... that's HUGE!!!

Tell me how often that happens? When was the last time a park, that's been around for as long as the 60s, that you've never heard of, all of a sudden stands out as a MUST VISIT location, with a ride that could be #1 in the world?

I wouldn't put too much thought into people who just joined the site to say how much the ride sucks, they're obviously just trolling.

This is game changing for several reasons.

1. It puts RMC in Europe which is a huge deal.

2. The ride will produce some of the strongest airtime ever attempted.

3. This is a proper length for a strong wooden coaster.

4. This completely changes this park and the group that owns the park.

5. This will most likely be a brand new top three coaster in the whole world.

I don't understand all of you that wanted some stupid prototype inverted aqua woodie!?!?! Haven't we learned over the years that maybe those gimmicks, are just that, a terrible gimmick? This is a solid amazing ride that will be way better than some launched wooden aquatrax! Or some coaster trying to be something other than a coaster. Seriously, this 'hobby' is filled with terrible entitled people.

Guess what, I'll be there very excited to go ride in 2016 and I'm sure a ton of you decent people in the hobby will be there with me.

*And actually, I'm sure all of you crapping on this ride will also be there because secretly you're totally excited, but on an internet messageboard you just want to try and cause drama!

I like the fact that the ride experience is going to last longer than 30 seconds. Hopefully RMC will continue this direction with longer coasters that sustain the unbelievable intensity for a longer period of time.

There are still a lot of things haven't been announced yet! We haven seen how the trains will look like, what kind of special effect (if any) will be installed, what kind of wheels, what kind of track (maybe there is a third track type), what kind of restraints (Outlaw Run type or Helix type), what kind of train (floorless woodie anyone?) etc etc.

Keep the guessing going!

RMC is becoming the B&M of the wood coaster industry.

Um. no. RMC is more like the Intamin of the wood coaster industry. Pushing the envelope and making people go WTF when they see one of their designs. If they were building mildly thrilling that feel exactly the same over and over again, then they'd be the B&M of the wood coaster industry. Actually, I think GCI has already claimed that position!

YES. Thank you! I love B&M* and GCI, but they use the same moves and "force envelope" in repetition. They are great rides and a smart choice for parks, but from a spoiled coaster nerds POV, they just don't have the long term excitement or personality.

RMC looks like they are building world class rides. The roundabout at the top of Wildfire's lift looks like a smart move. Let people hang out up there for a second and contemplate how high they are and what they are about to receive.

(*B&M = Bland & Mediocre? hehe, just kidding... heck, I'm going to ride Banshee next week!)

There are still a lot of things haven't been announced yet! We haven seen how the trains will look like, what kind of special effect (if any) will be installed, what kind of wheels, what kind of track (maybe there is a third track type), what kind of restraints (Outlaw Run type or Helix type), what kind of train (floorless woodie anyone?) etc etc.

Keep the guessing going!

My guesses:

Train design: Similar to Outlaw Run

Special effects: Probably nothing

Wheels: Similar to Outlaw Run

Track: Topper track

Restraints: Similar to Outlaw Run

Train type: Typical sit-down

Another Precedent possibility:

Has anyone ever teased coaster enthusiasts THIS BADLY about a coaster? Other than 45 pages of buildup, this ride is still 2 calendar years away from opening.

I feel like literally the only reason they could be doing that is to get all of us to plan 2016 trips far in advance and hype their park. WHICH IS GENIUS.

^^ In my opinion, if we are trying to guess what Alan Schilke is doing, we need to think like Alan Schilke

This is an RMC, not a B&M. Maybe supports like Tennessee Tornado will show up on parts of this coaster. Then the "wood or steel" discussion will start again.

Edited by gerstlaueringvar

To me it seems that Six Flags is 100% on the RMC train (pun intended)...

Have to give credit to Six Flags, for all the criticism they get (much of it deserved) -- jumping on the RMC bandwagon right away has them positioned well against their competitors. I'm thinking several years ahead -- what if over half of the parks in the Six Flags chain have a RMC coaster, while Cedar Fair parks remain shut out? Depending on who gets their orders in, that's not unfathomable, and it would put Six Flags in a very advantageous position from a high-end coaster perspective. More than looking at just this one coaster (Wildfire) as a game changer, I think the key aspect from a wider perspective is that it's a continued game evolution that RMC is pretty much all by themselves in right now. It's going to force other manufacturers (and parks / park chains that aren't yet on-board) to find ways to compete, and the winner out of that battle will be the enthusiast.

On another note, am I the only guy who wants RMC to build an out-and-back sometime a la El Toro with more hills?

Goliath (SFGAm) might be as close as they're going to get to a traditional out-and-back. RMC is pretty twisted!

This is an RMC, not a B&M. Maybe supports like Tennessee Tornado will show up on parts of this coaster. Then the "wood or steel" discussion will start again.

Supports were never an issue on the wood versus steel debate. The debate was around whether or not the design of the topper track was still a wooden coaster or not, but we have since concluded it's still a wooden coaster with topper track.

And remember, what is making this coaster so gnarly is the layout, setting, intensity, and airtime. If there was something bigger than those characteristics, we would have heard it in the official announcement.

This just looks so amazing. I bet a lot of pants will be shat once this beast opens. I like having lots of notice for this, I might just have to start setting up an account with TPR now to make sure I can go ride this thing.

I love the name and theme too, Wildfire holds a special place in my heart because that's what I named my starter on the first Pokemon game I played.