TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

Very exciting ! What about that kind of thrilling ?

Dark ride section in a 2 cars train; then a soft horizontal acceleration.

Indoor scene with fire, screens, smoke and everything

(Train is separated in wagons; you can't feel it)

The ceiling opens

Big explosion

The 2 wagons are launched through the 100m high tower.

You exit in a closed area at the top of the tower.

You seat in a classic theater.

New scene with effects, fire...

Then you have to choose between one of the 8 different giant slides, circling the tower.

Not realistic ? Haha

Or the first inclined drop tower 100m deep in the ground through rings of fire.

Wait I know what it is!!! Its 75 HUSS Topple Towers themed to a forest and they spin at 75 mph, and a fire builds and builds up the towers and around the "forest", through out the ride cycle until everyone is on fire. Then all of the Towers actually topple to the ground, all destroyed, an we have to wait another 5-6 years for the new towers to grow in.

This, this one has to be my favorite guess.

Needless to say I am just as intrigued and excited as anyone else! R&E's enthusiasm says a lot. And while I know that this is "Theme Park Review" and not "Roller Coaster Review," I've suspected from the beginning that it would be tough to justify so much hype for anything other than a coaster. Save for maybe a shockingly innovative dark ride.

It will be a multi-purpose ride. It will combine some aspects of the world's greatest (and the Alvey's favorite) rides. You start the ride in trackless car (similar to TDL's Hunny Hunt). However, it has a much more sinister Valhalla type theme. It turns out a Lava Monster type creature is involved and sets the ride building ablaze. Your vehicle magically transforms into a log and you are placed into the water for a wild ride escaping from the fire. Of course the fire has ravaged the villages you pass through at night and the villagers home (and clothes) are destroyed. The men are out battling the blaze and your ride vehicle is forced to pass a multitude of topless Scandinavian animatronics who offer their services if you will rescue them. After the ride is finished you are given free alcohol in celebration.

I'm pretty sure that is the concept.

^ Good find!

But I do agree with Hyyyper, don't expect on any too extreme attraction, it's a family park, so it still have to cater for a large part of the family.

Very true, but I always go back and think about Bush Gardens Tampa when it was a quite family park with a couple of mild coasters and water rides.....then came KUMBA!!

Thorpe Park's another example of this.

What exactly could be the parks budget? Cuz that could make the difference in whether or not they're getting a woodie or a steelie.

The concern who owns the park have some very heavy financial muscles, if they see the potential, they could easily pour a crapload of money into the project. But the park itself is around 6-700 000 visitors a yar.

^ That is great news!

Zierer have done a really awesome job in the recent years with the look of their trains, I can't wait to see how it will turn out themed with one of my all-time favorite childhood character.

RCDB just posted that it will be a Wooden Coaster. Duane isnt usually the type of person to post rumors, so this could be a start.

Nice find!

After Goliath, I'm hoping for a crazy RMC once again. An inverted wooden? Nah, it's too 2013. I rather like a

! /shameless self-promotion

RCDB just posted that it will be a Wooden Coaster. Duane isnt usually the type of person to post rumors, so this could be a start.

Nice find!

After Goliath, I'm hoping for a crazy RMC once again. An inverted wooden? Nah, it's too 2013. I rather like a

! /shameless self-promotion

Has anyone ever confirmed inverted wood is possible or even in development? I think this coaster could be launched... The first launch woody. Highest drop too.

BTW, great NL2 concept video.

Just got an email from the park regarding the RCDB posting:

"We haven't publicly released any information about what the ride is. Everybody has signed an NDA. But it's fine... let everybody speculate. It's fun. /Mattias"

--Robb "Good thing I signed my NDA!" Alvey

^^ Gordon Rides came with a inverted wooden concept a few years back : Picture. But it never happened so we don't know how far the development went on that one.

But I studied the possibility of an inverted wooden track based on what exists today, and it seems to be possible. The Iron Horse track is strong enough to carry a train up-side down, and there's at least one spot on T-Express where there is a track directly under another, that means enough room for your inverted train if you turn the upper track upside-down (

).

But maybe there're problems I'm not taking into account (clearance), I'm not an engineer.

I haven't really been following this as I really don't usually care about speculation, but based on the logo I'd guess that it is in fact going to be a wooden coaster. If it's really going to "blow people away" I'd assume something along the lines of a Rocky Mountain Construction installation or an Intamin wooden coaster along the lines of Colossos or El Toro.

Something wooden would make sense if it is going to be large-scale because that is the most cost-effective route. We know the wooden hybrid technology is out there and ready for a launch tie-in, but is that really something that would make Robb so excited? Not sure... I'm really having trouble thinking up something that would live up to this level of excitement from such a small park. I'm guessing it's heavily innovative, but what don't we already have? The inverted woodie concept just doesn't get me excited.

Yeah I don't see them build anything too tall at this park. Kolmården is a zoo which mainly targets families with children. So I don't think it'll have any drop above 150ft or any inversions. It could be something lengthy with a launch somewhere along the track and featuring some novelty of some kind, no idea what that could be though.