TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I have been to the place was on our way back from Stockholm after a few days of joining the TPR scandi 2009 trip. If there are interest then I might be able to dig up some images from back then??

The thing is, during all my childhood we have driven past the place several times every year, but never went until me and my brother could go there ourselves, and then only for the credit

^I know I had to Google it.

^ Exactly! And this is the type of project that will not only put them on the map, but make them a MUST GET TO PARK in 2016.

I can only think of a handful of projects in the last ten years that have done that.

Just a hunch, but this makes it seem like it doesn't have to do with height. Something rather new or completely new is my guess, whether a coaster or an element.

^ I was about to mention that! That's the new concept from Ride Entertainment.

how many of you had heard of Kolmarden?

Me, but because I'm a ropeway nerd! And the installation they have is simply one of the weirdest yet coolest one ever!

Edited by KingRCT3

the fact that its making it a MUST VISIT is huge. I think we're looking at this all wrong. In the past, what have been some of the coasters that have opened that when you saw that it was open, it instantly became a MUST VISIT. Sometimes to figure out the future, you have to look to the past. What are some of the coasters that were HUGE when they came out?

Here's a few I thought of. Feel free to chime in.

-X2(1st 4th dimension)

-Magnum XL-200 (first over 200 ft)

-Millennium Force (first over 300 feet)

-Top Thrill Dragster (first over 400 feet)

-Outlaw Run (first inverting woodie)

And even with these big ones that stand out so much, would you say that they were all a MUST RIDE? And if so, what is it about them that made them that way:? Innovation, Record braking, Newness, Originality, or just the WOW factor? Or all 3? If that is the case, then we're looking at a Record Braking, and Innovative ride that has a wow factor and has never been done before. Many of these coasters set standards in the industry. They changed it forever. If this is what we are seeing, and Wildfire will be grouped with it, then we certaintly are looking at something insane!

Many of these have certain qualities to them that make them so cool. Airtime. Height. Forces. Speed. Smoothness. Scare/Thrill factor. And thats just to name a few. Now obviously not all of these coasters has characteristics, but some of those that are must rides have most of them. So this is what we could be looking at. A smooth ride. With airtime. A scare/Holy Crap factor. And something that makes it stand out, whether it be height, or some sort of signature maneuver it does. In my opinion, those are what the factors are that it would have. I hope it does have all or most of those. But thats just my 2 cents. Feel free to pipe in with your opinion on this.

Damn got pretty excited when I saw this! Especially seeing how excited Rob is about it!

The thing that's puzzling me though, is that Rob clearly quoted someone else saying this ride would have to cater for a large part of the family. I'm not sure most of the suggestions so far in this thread would really be that ~family friendly~. Especially the talk of drop towers. I'm also struggling to think of anything that is especially new and exciting AND family friendly.

Personally I don't know what it could be but I'm going to go out and say that I really don't think it will be a launched wooden coaster. That just seems a little too simple and perhaps gimmicky considering the hype behind this, but whatever it is I cannot wait to find out and I'm sure it will be a complete surprise!

the fact that its making it a MUST VISIT is huge. I think we're looking at this all wrong. In the past, what have been some of the coasters that have opened that when you saw that it was open, it instantly became a MUST VISIT. Sometimes to figure out the future, you have to look to the past. What are some of the coasters that were HUGE when they came out?

-X2(1st 4th dimension)

And even with these big ones that stand out so much, would you say that they were all a MUST RIDE? And if so, what is it about them that made them that way:? Innovation, Record braking, Newness, Originality, or just the WOW factor? Or all 3? If that is the case, then we're looking at a Record Braking, and Innovative ride that has a wow factor and has never been done before. Many of these coasters set standards in the industry. They changed it forever. If this is what we are seeing, and Wildfire will be grouped with it, then we certaintly are looking at something insane!

Many of these have certain qualities to them that make them so cool. Airtime. Height. Forces. Speed. Smoothness. Scare/Thrill factor. And thats just to name a few. Now obviously not all of these coasters has characteristics, but some of those that are must rides have most of them. So this is what we could be looking at. A smooth ride. With airtime. A scare/Holy Crap factor. And something that makes it stand out, whether it be height, or some sort of signature maneuver it does. In my opinion, those are what the factors are that it would have. I hope it does have all or most of those. But thats just my 2 cents. Feel free to pipe in with your opinion on this.

Something to keep in mind. I don't get excited over "gimmicks", I get excited over solid, awesome projects that have more than just "potential" to be a "World's Best."

It's either going to be an Intamin First Generation FreeFall ride through the depths of a mountain and popping out at the edge of a cliff...or maybe they are bringing the Orphan Rocker from Australia to the park.

Either way, in order for Elissa to be excited, there is probably some theming around rodents. Maybe chipmunks are sick and tired of the Lumberjacks cutting down their trees so they take over the Saw Mill and all hell breaks loose...then a dragon from the depths of the earth rises and burns everything in its path. Or maybe, the ride will actually set people on fire!!!! and then spray them with a ton of water so it's only 1st degree burns!

Jimmy "So many options!!" Bo

-X2(1st 4th dimension)

Something to keep in mind. I don't get excited over "gimmicks", I get excited over solid, awesome projects that have more than just "potential" to be a "World's Best."

Well that can't be bad! Must mean it really is something epic!

-X2(1st 4th dimension)

Mmmmm even better! I like it! I REALLY wanna know what this is. But this makes me glad that its not gonna be a one trick pony.

Edited by CPSFMMCW

-X2(1st 4th dimension)

Hmm, something not a gimmick, yet potentially something we've never seen/rarely seen. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not a drop tower (hence the "World's Best," some could argue a drop tower is a gimmick in and of itself). Inverting/launching woodies are probably also considered gimmicks, as it provides an experience rarely found on wooden coasters. Earth moving- maybe a wooden terrain coaster reaching very high speeds? Anyone have an idea of the topography of this park?

A few months ago Rob was very excited about the new 4d - free spin prototype from S&S.

Could this be the first park to install one!

If not,

Then I can only imagine that this is finally a NEW Vekoma Tilt Coaster (since vertical max was built back in 2002) this could be the first one to be built in over a decade!

I am really learning towards my second guess.

I don't think a terrain coaster has that holy crap factor unless it has a stand out factor about it. Robb said he saw it and said o my gosh. Did anyone freak out like that with prowler or boulder dash? Sure, they're Great rides, but they didn't necessarily change the industry forever. If its to be a wooden terrain, then it needs to have that factor to it that makes it a must ride.

A few months ago Rob was very excited about the new 4d - free spin prototype from S&S.

Could this be the first park to install one!

If not,

Then I can only imagine that this is finally a NEW Vekoma Tilt Coaster (since vertical max was built back in 2002) this could be the first one to be built in over a decade!

I am really learning towards my second guess.

Both seem like possibilites, but I don't think either really has a possibility of being a world's best roller coaster, and aren't very "Earth moving." Just a thought, they could have revolutionized the Tilt Coaster in the past 12 years

I'm going to guess it is the worlds tallest, fastest, and longest wooden roller coaster, to be built by RMC. It may have multiple inversions as well and claim some sort of inversion record, either most for a wooden coaster, or even most overall for any coaster. I'm dreaming BIG~!

This is practically a zoo, right?

My guess would be a ride that interacts with animals in some kind of awesome way. Just wondering how they would do that without startling the animals.

I mean it is called WILD-fire after all!

Edited by Ap0ptosis