TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Six Flags Park

I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to make an account because of a pressing question I've had since I started reading...which Six Flags park is actually the best in the chain? Coming from Orlando, I've always kind of looked down on Six Flags for not being AS themed or AS clean as Disney, Universal, etc. Plus there are all those stories about the gangs and stuff. But after reading a few threads on here, it seems like there are some that actually have a nice reputation. Personally, I've only been to Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags Magic Mountain, and out of those two, I would say SFOG is definitely the "nicer" park, with lots of shade, generally well-themed and well-kept areas, and a pretty solid collection of roller coasters! Magic Mountain, on the other hand, was dirty and frankly a bit ugly in my opinion.

So for those more in the know, what are the "best" Six Flags parks to you, and why? I'll have to check them out.

(PS, I used the search function but couldn't find an existing topic like this, but re-direct me if necessary)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the "big" parks but I would probably leave Six Flags Magic Mountain out of the mix if you're trying to rank these parks based on how well rounded they are. Ranking them all would be very difficult anyways.

Six Flags over Texas, Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Great America are probably shoe-ins. I would also like to push for Fiesta Texas and New England, but again it may be a push.

I've been to 5 of them (La Ronde, Great Escape, SFNE, SFGadv, SFGam), and Great Adventure is the best I've visited. The coasters are great (esp. Nitro and El Toro) and it's a very nice park overall !

Edited by booink

Having been to 7 Six Flags parks (GAdv, OT, Fiesta, OG, NE, America, and St. Louis), I think my overall favorite might be Fiesta Texas. I was very pleasantly surprised by the park's charm, location, and I really enjoyed the time I spent there this past summer. Of course it has its rough spots here and there, but I've yet to find a Six Flags park without rough spots. Great Adventure, Over Georgia, and Over Texas are also great parks with great rides,there was just something about Fiesta that made it stand out to me.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is my favorite of the ones that I have been to.

I will throw eggs at anyone who says Magic Mountain is their favorite Six Flags park.

Edited by XYZ

I still haven't been to SFMM, SFoG, SFDK or Mexico, but out of the ones I have been to, I would probably rank them accordingly:

1. Fiesta Texas

2. The Great Escape (yeah, it's not flagged, but whatever)

3. Great Adventure

4. Great America

5. New England

6. St. Louis

7. Texas

8. America

9. La Ronde

^I would have to agree. While I think Great Adventure has better coasters, I feel that Great America is the best overall park. It has a great collection of flats, plenty of family rides, and the water park is great. Great America is very well run. It has probably the best ride ops of any Six Flags. While the Mariott themed areas have slowly disappeared, at least the park has started playing the old themed soundtracks in the different areas again.

It will be much better once Goliath is up and running, too.

Of the parks I've been to I'd pick Discovery Kingdom for overall experience, but Great Adventure for rides. SFDK might not have the biggest coasters but the entertainment/animal offerings are great, and the park looks great. SFGAdv has the better ride package for sure but also a lot of "big open concrete expanse" that doesn't do much for me.

Otherwise I'd rank them:

1. SFDK

2. SFGAdv

3. SFMM

4. SFNE

5. SFA

I've been to SFA, SFGAdv, SFOG, SFStL, and SFGAm. Out of these, I'd say Six Flags Great America, followed by Six Flags St. Louis and Six Flags Over Georgia if you're looking for a well rounded park. SFGAdv is the best for just coasters. Their flat ride selection is a bit lacking. SFA is usually considered the worst Six Flags park, so of course that's at the bottom. (I still have fun when I go, though.)

So:

1. Great America

2. St. Louis (I just really liked the atmosphere and well-roundedness)

3. Over Georgia

4. Great Adventure

5. America

From what I've seen/heard, I'd but SFOT and Fiesta Texas quite near the top too. In fact, I'm pretty sure when I have a chance to go to SFOT, it'll compete with SFGAm for the top spot. I'm going to SFNE for the first time this coming summer, and i'm sure it'll be a middle-of-the-list park. Besides Bizarro, the coasters look pretty meh.

So far, I have only been to three Six Flags parks: Great Adventure, Over Georgia, and Magic Mountain. From best to "least" best experiences.

1. Great Adventure - I was impressed by a majority of the rides and with the lines when I went Summer 2012. And El Toro is just awesome! I'm still impressed that of all the wooden coasters of this caliber (Intamin Plug n' Play), there's only ONE in America, and a bit jealous (since in Florida, our biggest woodie is about to get the axe and has a horrible reputation, Gwazi)! Kingda Ka and Nitro are very cool too.

2. Magic Mountain - I went in winter 2010. I wasn't able to do as much as Great Adventure, but I liked X2 so much, as well as Tatsu and Goliath!

3. Over Georgia - I visited in Oct 2011, after my high school marching band performed at the Bands of America Super Regional. It was packed, and the lines took a while. I remember waiting in line for Batman, and it took forever, lol! So, I wasn't able to do as much, but I liked the park though. Goliath is definitely my fave! I also was able to go on Acrophobia and Mindbender (both were fun)!

I'm probably visiting my fourth Six Flags park this summer (Great America), and boy am I stoked!

Im kinda surprised regarding the response to Great America...Ive never been there so I obviously am not the best judge, but from what Ive seen the layout seems very cluttered. And while Raging Bull, X Flight, and the original Batman seem like good coasters, they dont seem like major headliners in the same vein as El Toro, X2, Bizarro, or New Texas Giant. Maybe Goliath will change that. I will definitely make a point to try to check out Great America now.

The Six Flags parks I've been to:

1. Six Flags Great America. Everything is going great, did not get the feeling of a stereotype Chicago area at all. Park was clean, operation was nice, coasters are maintained well.

2. Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Maybe it was with TPR and their management knew we were upset about Iron Rattler being closed, we had a fantastic day. The park is very well themed and their coasters are well maintained. I would like to say SFFT and SFGAm are both on the No.1 spot but SFFT lacks an old school coaster like Whizzer and Demon.

3. Six Flags Over Texas. Yes, I know their operation and attitude was horrible even before the NTaG accident last year but I'm sure their management this year would deserve their great coaster collection and outstanding atmosphere. Give them a second chance people!

4. Six Flags St. Louis. Nice atmosphere with shade everywhere. Just lacks a very nice coaster. Plus I really hate their loose article policy.

5. Six Flags Magic Mountain. Do I need to explain? But I love Viper and Green Lantern.

Im kinda surprised regarding the response to Great America...Ive never been there so I obviously am not the best judge, but from what Ive seen the layout seems very cluttered. And while Raging Bull, X Flight, and the original Batman seem like good coasters, they dont seem like major headliners in the same vein as El Toro, X2, Bizarro, or New Texas Giant. Maybe Goliath will change that. I will definitely make a point to try to check out Great America now.

SFGAm is actually one of the more simple layouts as far as Six Flags parks go. As someone mentioned above me, it's just a big circle with an extension on one side where they expanded in 1996 with Southwest Territory. It just has a solid lineup of attractions overall between family and thrilling flat rides and roller coasters. The addition of Goliath will especially help the park's coaster lineup which has always been solid, but they've been missing an extreme coaster. Goliath should take care of that.

I've only been to two Six Flags parks. SFGAm is my home park and I visit there frequently. I went to SFSTl for the first time last year and enjoyed myself even though I was only there for a day. I'll have to go with SFGAm but I will hopefully visit SFOT and SFFT next year so I'll see if that changes.

From the looks of it, it seems that SFOG is one of the Six Flags parks that's just simply out of the way for most enthusiasts. It is a wonderful park and has been the only SF park I've been to. Hopefully, I can get out to SFGAm this year.