TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

What seems a bit ironic is that Atari's financial plan of moving to mobile does not seem to be selling too well, as many people who would have bought the game if it was any good are now holding off. I would pay $50 if they released an actual new game any day, as I am sure many fans would. (Hell, I might even pay that much for a mobile port of RCT2, with no micro transactions, of course). Really, this move seems to be more about grabbing cash quickly than making the most money in the long term.

The best case scnario I can think of is that this fiasco reduced the value of the RCT brand, forcing Atari to sell it for a lower price, into better hands. I do not think that would actually happen, but one can only hope.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have gladly paid $4 *AND* paid for the micro-transactions if they had just released the original RCT or RCT 2 and only added in-game purchases to update it to meet today's mobile gaming market trends.

I would have gladly paid $4 *AND* paid for the micro-transactions if they had just released the original RCT or RCT 2 and only added in-game purchases to update it to meet today's mobile gaming market trends.

You mean like...expansion packs? What a revelation!

They could have made a killing releasing the game like they did way back in the day - release the original game, with the two expansion packs as downloadable content. You make the combined cost equal to or a bit less than RCT Deluxe / RCT2 Triple Thrill do on Good Old Games or Steam and, wham! You'd have my purchase, especially considering that I used to play RollerCoaster Tycoon on a 640x480 screen, which is of a lower resolution than the iPhone I carry in my pocket.

I lied. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull is too good for this. Star Wars Christmas Special levels i thing

Agreed 100%. Either that or a model similar to the Transport Tycoon Mobile model of paying the full price up front with a limited lite version for free. I'd have easily paid a decent amount for a port of RCT 1 or 2.

Probably using a Wineskin. I wrote a tutorial about it a while ago but I haven't been able to update it and test it on Mac OS 10.9.X because I've been too busy with other projects...

Yeah Atari, because your not deaf? Anyone else you would like to put down to defend your game? Beyond the point of the game being terrible, I find the comments about being deaf and blind both offensive and ignorant. There was no reason to bring the disabled (although some deaf people do not believe they are at all disabled. Maybe a little insight to deaf culture wouldn't hurt them) into this statement at all. They have absolutely no clue what it is like to be deaf, nor have they ever considered it. Being deaf does not mean you cannot communicate and it does not mean you are oblivious.

Even if this PC release is a direct follow up to RCT2 (which it won't be), I absolutely will not support a company that willingly puts down people in an attempt to convince people to buy a crappy $3 mobile game.

Please tell me how!

1, First step is to buy and download the game from GOG.com. It cost $9.99. (http://www.gog.com/game/rollercoaster_tycoon_2)

2, Then you have to download a wrapper for free here: (http://paulthetall.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-2-mac/)

3, Next thing is to make sure that you have the "setup_rollercoaster_tycoon2_2.0.0.6.exe" (from step 1) file and the "Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.dmg" (from step 2) file on your desktop.

4, Open "Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.dmg" and follow the instructions in this video.

It begins at 3:03.

Don't worry about the small game window in this video. They say it's only a bug while recording. I play fullscreen without any problems.

If you or anyone else have any problems. Feel free to ask and i'll try to help the best i can.

Please tell me how!

1, First step is to buy and download the game from GOG.com. It cost $9.99. (http://www.gog.com/game/rollercoaster_tycoon_2)

2, Then you have to download a wrapper for free here: (http://paulthetall.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-2-mac/)

3, Next thing is to make sure that you have the "setup_rollercoaster_tycoon2_2.0.0.6.exe" (from step 1) file and the "Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.dmg" (from step 2) file on your desktop.

Don't worry about the small game window in this video. They say it's only a bug while recording. I play fullscreen without any problems.

If you or anyone else have any problems. Feel free to ask and i'll try to help the best i can.

Wow. That worked surprisingly well and easy! Thank you!

Please tell me how!

OMG! That was so easy! Thank you!!! YAY!

RollerCoaster Tycoon / 2 Wineskin builds are kind of unstable sometimes, and there's always a chance of the build not working when a new update is made to Mac OS X, so be careful!

Someone is trying to decompile and improve RCT2, not sure how far they'll be able to go.

OpenRCT2 is an attempt to decompile RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 into C. RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 was originally written in MASM and Visual C++ where functions related to interfacing with the operating system were written in C (supposedly 1%) and the rest of the game in pure x86 assembly. OpenTTD went through the same treatment where Transport Tycoon Deluxe was decompiled into C and then have thousands of more features added to the game. RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 uses the third version of Chris Sawyer's engine. It still shares some code seen in Transport Tycoon and this is reflected in OpenTTD 0.1 such as the window system and graphics rendering. Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is a more up to date version, however OpenRCT2 will only use RollerCoaster Tycoon 2's engine code for now.

https://github.com/IntelOrca/OpenRCT2

^Interesting that it has taken so long for someone to push for that. I guess the success of OpenTTD has opened people's eyes a little. If they are following the same process and are successful, I can't help but think this would have been huge just 5 years ago. Maybe there will be a renaissance for the game where a new generation of modelers turns it into a hugely elaborate game with every kind of ride ever manufactured. That could be more interesting for casual gamers than what TPS is trying to do.