TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

I seriously wonder what the board meeting at Atari was like when they made this game...

"Hmm, well, people do love mobile gaming, and people love cartoonish games... Say... we haven't made a new RCT in a while, WHY DON'T WE PUT IT ON MOBILE? FANS WILL SURELY LOVE THAT!"

"YEAH!"

"But how should we design it?"

"LET'S RIP OFF EVERY OTHER THEME PARK GAME ON THE MARKET, AND IF THEY WANT TO ADD RIDES, THEY NEED TO PAY REAL MONEY FOR IT!"

"WE'LL GET RICH SO QUICKLY!"

"LET'S DO IT!"

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The real tragedy is that if it does well the Atari execs will pat themselves on the back with assurance that they made a good call. Conversely, if it fails to perform well they will assume that people are no longer interested in the Roller Coaster Tycoon franchise and mothball it for another who knows how long?

^ But mobile game developers aren't exactly thriving either. Look at Zynga. Or (what's left of) Disney Interactive.

What are you talking about? Have you seen the Zygna building? They got a mini free arcade with a couple pinballa and arcade games including a basketball hoop thrower, foosball, etc. All in the lobby. I was so bummed having to walk byt them and not play them.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/19/zynga-naturalmotion-acquisition-mobile-games

BTW tech companies are notorious for having "cool" employee perks like Zynga's lobby, but that doesn't translate into the company actually doing well or making money. Disney Interactive moved into a shiny new building 2 years ago and laid off 700 people last week.

Doesn't surprise me.... The building was pretty empty and no one was using a single game table. Just making an immature point.

I am very disappointed in you Atari! This is just awful and not even worthy of being labeled RCT! If i wanted a mobile game i would want the original RCT not some cheap recreation! Maybe they thought they had no competition with Theme Park Studio or NL2 to create a PC version, but still they could have tried to make improvements. I have followed RCT from the beginning and i have a feeling I'm done with RCT. Atari please fix this awful mess! PLEASE!

Actually, Chris Sawyer is still in the gaming industry. He owns a studio and worked with a team to port Locomotion to mobile as Transport Tycoon.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Wow, that's great to see! I'll have to buy that app.

As for Chris, I'm not sure why people continue to want to debate things I've said about the games business, Chris, etc, as if they know more than I do, but I do actually chat with Chris from time to time (if you are also chatting with Chris as well, then I apologize), but here is what he told me in a recent discussion:

"Not much to report on the games front - I doubt I will be directly programming or designing anything myself in the foreseeable future, but the RCT franchise will continue in some form or another." (Meaning that Atari owns the rights to it and they have plans for it)

So from what he has directly told me, he's no longer doing much with games. Sure, he might have consulted on that version of Transport Tycoon and it looks exactly like his original design (which makes you question even more why couldn't Atari do this???) but unless he's flat out lying to me, I really do not think he's doing games any more.

I'm not in contact with him. It's mostly just stuff I've seen and heard in a million different places. From what I understand, Chris does OWN the studio, but his role is mostly what it was for RCT3. He's mostly just there to oversee things somewhat and offer consultation. Otherwise its the rest of the team that make the decisions.

If I'm not mistaken it's ios only which is another fail.

Edit : I took another look at the trailer and noticed a coaster with baked turns. Again I can see this app being ok if they don't screw up the gameplay with in app purchases.

This is such a ripoff...8 feel so let down right now...

I always imagined RCT4 to be something that would be able to compete with games/sims like NL, or at least be a big improvement on RCT3.

We, guess TPS will be the new RCT, just like some say Tutsnfa and Destiny will replace the last gen's COD & Halo.

Good News!

RCT4 is going to be on the PC and it will be " a "completely different game"

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a559548/rollercoaster-tycoon-4-on-pc-will-be-a-completely-different-game.html

"We can't share that much, but [PC] will definitely be a completely different game," senior director of marketing Anthony Chien told Digital Spy.

"There's a lot of diehard RC fans that want a PC experience, they want all different sorts of things.

"It's trying to deliver as much as we can. First is the mobile version, then it's the PC experience. I think a lot of people are vocal about wanting to see the PC version first before the mobile, but our strategy is mobile first."

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on mobile adopts free-to-play mechanics, where the wait for new rides and attractions to be built can be expedited by spending in-game currency.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on PC will be "completely different" to the mobile versions, Atari has confirmed.

Commenting on the reaction from fans to news that a sequel will be released on mobile and tablets, the publisher assured them that a separate PC edition will be unique.

Despite this, it will be sold as a premium download, with Chien assuring players that otherwise all content can be purchased without having to invest additional funds.

"The game will come pre-loaded with over $5 of in-game currency, with the value of in-game currency you're getting more than what you paid for," he said.

While certain elements of the original games remain - such as players being able to build their own rollercoasters and using the thought bubbles of park attendees as feedback - it will drop the campaign structure for a single, persistent park that exists in real time.

it will, however, retain the isometric, tile-based visual approach of the first two games in the series, with Atari and Lithuanian developer On5 working closely with original creator Chris Sawyer for a "consistent vision".

Meanwhile, new social features include Game Center leaderboards and Facebook sharing of rollercoaster blueprints with friends.

While specific differences between the mobile and PC versions - such as whether it adopts the same structure and use of in-game currency - have yet to be confirmed, it will be an "online multiplayer experience" that won't run through Facebook.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 will be released on iOS devices by early April, followed by Android this summer and PC by the end of the year

There's a lot of mixed messages in this.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on mobile adopts free-to-play mechanics, where the wait for new rides and attractions to be built can be expedited by spending in-game currency.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on PC will be "completely different" to the mobile versions, Atari has confirmed.

Commenting on the reaction from fans to news that a sequel will be released on mobile and tablets, the publisher assured them that a separate PC edition will be unique.

Despite this, it will be sold as a premium download, with Chien assuring players that otherwise all content can be purchased without having to invest additional funds.

"The game will come pre-loaded with over $5 of in-game currency, with the value of in-game currency you're getting more than what you paid for," he said.

What does any of this mean? This shouldn't be a complicated issue. What we want is to buy the game and have all the content that comes with it, and not have to worry about the game itself asking us to spend more money. So what does it mean that "Despite this, it will be sold as a premium download, with Chien assuring players that otherwise all content can be purchased without having to invest additional funds"? Why should the purchase of the game be separate from the purchase of the content? That doesn't even make any sense. Can someone explain to me what he means by "premium download", and why the article makes it sound like a bad thing?

And obviously, any hope we have that the game will function like a proper PC game falls apart when he says the game will be preloaded with $5 of in-game currency. WTF? More than what we paid for? We paid for the game! Any in-game currency should be coming from the in-game park guests! Again, this should be a very simple issue and he's making it sound so gosh-darn complicated. What we want is to not feel like we're getting ripped off, and right now this is just screaming "RIP OFF" to me. That whole $5 statement sounds like it's coming from a car salesman.

While certain elements of the original games remain - such as players being able to build their own rollercoasters and using the thought bubbles of park attendees as feedback - it will drop the campaign structure for a single, persistent park that exists in real time.

What? Why? So no scenarios, no predefined goals? Are they saying the game is going the Animal Crossing route of time always passing, even when the game is off? If they were offering a truly sandbox-like experience where you had in-depth tools to build any kind of park you want, maybe I could buy that this is a good thing. But that kind of game would have a steeper learning curve and require a more patient, attentive player to reap all its rewards. Does anyone believe for a second that's the kind of gamer they're trying to appeal to?

it will, however, retain the isometric, tile-based visual approach of the first two games in the series, with Atari and Lithuanian developer On5 working closely with original creator Chris Sawyer for a "consistent vision".

If you believe that last part, I have a bridge to sell you. And if you think a big commercial game should really be going back to an isometric perspective after already making the jump to full 3D, well, I disagree. Big step backwards. Can you imagine if they did that with the Sims 4?

Meanwhile, new social features include Game Center leaderboards and Facebook sharing of rollercoaster blueprints with friends.

While specific differences between the mobile and PC versions - such as whether it adopts the same structure and use of in-game currency - have yet to be confirmed, it will be an "online multiplayer experience" that won't run through Facebook.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 will be released on iOS devices by early April, followed by Android this summer and PC by the end of the year.

Again, mixed messages. Just how online are we talking? Can I ignore the online component and play by myself, offline, if I want?

I don't know. None of this looks like good news to me.

I couldn't tell from that article where they transitioned from talking about the PC version to talking about the mobile version. Really confusing, I agree. A lot of this is strange and poorly handled. I'm trying to take a wait and see approach, at least until the screenshots come out for the PC version. Atari is making that kind of difficult when nothing they say seems trustworthy or well thought out.

Assuming the site where that very poorly-written article was posted is trustworthy, then I'd say you can't argue with a direct quote. "The value of in-game currency". He's clearly saying that in-game currency will have some kind of real-world value. In any game this side of Eve Online, that's the death knell, isn't it? That's the free-to-play model, or almost free-to-play, and the problem with the free-to-play model is that it turns the game into a huckster. When I want to play a game, I want to escape from my worries. I want to make one financial decision, to buy the game, and then play the game without thinking about my wallet. Instead with free-to-play, I can't just enjoy the game, something comes up that I have to spend more money to do, and suddenly I'm thinking about the phone bill that's due this week, my car's nearly empty tank, my kid's summer camp that he wants to go to this year... No, no, no, maybe that works for MMOs 'cause it's the only way they can get people to play the darn things, but I don't like MMOs, I want to buy a game and get lost in it every few weeks, and not feel pressured by it. No thanks, RCT 4.

Atari seems to be digging themselves progressively deeper with each statement they make. At the very least, they are aware of why fans of the series are unhappy with the game, so when the series hopefully does flop, they will at least know why, and only then will I regain a minute amount of hope for a real RCT sequel.

People have remained optimistic about the "PC" RCT4. With how many contradictions are in this, I can safely say that no hope remains for this redheaded stepchild of a sequel.

I am now playing the original scenarios from the original 1999 RCT, and wondering how in the world a game like this one looks so much better than its successor 15 years down the line.

Assuming the site where that very poorly-written article was posted is trustworthy, then I'd say you can't argue with a direct quote. "The value of in-game currency". He's clearly saying that in-game currency will have some kind of real-world value. In any game this side of Eve Online, that's the death knell, isn't it? That's the free-to-play model, or almost free-to-play, and the problem with the free-to-play model is that it turns the game into a huckster. When I want to play a game, I want to escape from my worries. I want to make one financial decision, to buy the game, and then play the game without thinking about my wallet.

The free-to-play model doesn't necessarily involve real money all the time. I believe that the difference between the free-to-play model and the traditional model is that the traditional model gives you more content as you progress forward through a game's campaign while the free-to-play model gives you more content as you accumulate in-game currency.

Both of these are completely viable ways to make a game, but where developers go wrong is when they charge real currency for in-game currency. There really isn't anything inherently wrong with a currency-based game so long as the balance is fair and no extra purchases are involved after you purchase the game. The original RollerCoaster Tycoon adopted this model even - you had to pay the in-game currency to build attractions, research new ones, market your park, among others.

In fact, RollerCoaster Tycoon didn't even come close to having a sandbox mode until Loopy Landscapes came out and people started using trainers to eliminate the aspect of finances (thank Arid Heights for that one). It's always been about the money.

It sounds like if you pay the initial $$$ fee you'll be able to access everything in the game without spending any additional real money.

Presumably you'll pay extra to build and unlock things faster if you choose, but no content will be restricted to those paying more.

Assuming the site where that very poorly-written article was posted is trustworthy, then I'd say you can't argue with a direct quote. "The value of in-game currency". He's clearly saying that in-game currency will have some kind of real-world value. In any game this side of Eve Online, that's the death knell, isn't it? That's the free-to-play model, or almost free-to-play, and the problem with the free-to-play model is that it turns the game into a huckster. When I want to play a game, I want to escape from my worries. I want to make one financial decision, to buy the game, and then play the game without thinking about my wallet.

The free-to-play model doesn't necessarily involve real money all the time. I believe that the difference between the free-to-play model and the traditional model is that the traditional model gives you more content as you progress forward through a game's campaign while the free-to-play model gives you more content as you accumulate in-game currency.

Both of these are completely viable ways to make a game, but where developers go wrong is when they charge real currency for in-game currency. There really isn't anything inherently wrong with a currency-based game so long as the balance is fair and no extra purchases are involved after you purchase the game. The original RollerCoaster Tycoon adopted this model even - you had to pay the in-game currency to build attractions, research new ones, market your park, among others.

In fact, RollerCoaster Tycoon didn't even come close to having a sandbox mode until Loopy Landscapes came out and people started using trainers to eliminate the aspect of finances (thank Arid Heights for that one). It's always been about the money.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. If a game is free to play, it means in order for the developers to make any money, you have to make incremental payments as you play the game. Unless there's in-game advertising, that's how it has to work. Of course it necessarily involves real money, you have to pay for something at some point. Whether you're directly paying to access "premium" content, or you're exchanging your real money for in-game money, the result is the same.

RCT having an in-game currency system has nothing to do with free-to-play, because the money only meant anything within the game itself. This guy seems to be saying that in RCT 4, you can pay real money for in-game money. That's a problem, because if that's how they're planning on making money off the game, then obviously it's going to be balanced in a way that you have to pay real money in order for the game to actually be playable. "Want the inverted coaster type? Sure, just wait three months! Or, pay us $5!"

"There's a lot of diehard RC fans that want a PC experience, they want all different sorts of things.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on PC will be "completely different" to the mobile versions, Atari has confirmed. Gduh doesn't mean you won't be lazy and barely improve while making it buggier to extremes without supercomputer *cough*rct3&expansion*cough*)

"The game will come pre-loaded with over $5 of in-game currency, with the value of in-game currency you're getting more than what you paid for," he said. (Uh huh cause that's a large coffee at best nowadayd yet a pain too obtain for some)

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 will be released on iOS devices by early April, followed by Android this summer and PC by the end of the year

At least they aren't leaving droid users hanging. Still what happens when the 5 dollars is gone through? Is it as easy as letting a few ads run as you work going to obtain these tickets worth money out a bunch of fake surveys and credit card offers no one would do or even can for the most part?

I am interested to do what they do- but if there's only one park to build in what happens if it's full? It's the only way to do something new to delete something? Complete fail as the fun is building a THEME park and not an AMUESMENT park. I just see a lot of problems with this.

Now the underlined quote just sounded off as if the person was insinuating that there are all sorts of impossible even some rediculous request, which usually are not as player mods always add things like custom rides and objects. It also makes it sound like they are struggling to keep game development up with current industry. A prime example is the splitting coaster and 4d coaster bug that causes extreme spinning past a certain draft rotation. Rct 3 may have been a development, but it did have a good amount of issues causing it to be unplayable at times. I don't see how they plan to keep up with all the new unique rides like the flyfree? that suspends two logs parallel to the car hanging past the edge of the track so as the car passes a barrel roll the rivers go up over around and under the track without ever inverting. Coolest looking coaster imo.

Also Robb note the claim in bold and send that off to Chris. I am sure he would like them to correctly state if they are working with him or his company.

Also Robb note the claim in bold and send that off to Chris. I am sure he would like them to correctly state if they are working with him or his company.

I'm curious about this, too. I was under the impression that RCT3 resulted in a huge falling-out between Sawyer and Atari - I'll be surprised (and thrilled) if they really are working with him on these (read: the PC version) games.

I'm curious about this, too. I was under the impression that RCT3 resulted in a huge falling-out between Sawyer and Atari - I'll be surprised (and thrilled) if they really are working with him on these (read: the PC version) games.

As I hinted and I think Robb or at l least another member states they are probably working with the company. As I hinted in this instance it would be false advertising to an extreme. IMO Chris Sawyer could get them in trouble for that after ask the trouble that they are said to have caused him.

Seriously so many better points in my comment and you talk about the one thing that situation is obvious even if the picture is obscured by false statements.

I'm just concerned that rct 4 the actual sequel will be a shotty job fill of bugs that take 5 patch updated top fix about half leaving the rest. Guess time will tell

I honestly don't want to bother Chris with stuff like this. He already told me he had nothing to do with RCT4 and I'm not going to email him again to have him tell me the same thing or to start some sort of drama.

It's my understanding that Atari owns the license and the property and they can do with it what they'd like. With everything that happened in the past, I'm sure Chris just wants to steer clear of it all and do his own thing.

I honestly don't want to bother Chris with stuff like this. He already told me he had nothing to do with RCT4 and I'm not going to email him again to have him tell me the same thing or to start some sort of drama.

It's my understanding that Atari owns the license and the property and they can do with it what they'd like. With everything that happened in the past, I'm sure Chris just wants to steer clear of it all and do his own thing.

I feel you drama sucks and only causes problems and I can say we know that from experience... If you don't remember penguinball and the man uncomfortable with himself and choices. I only pointed out of Chris wanted to take them to court and get some money for false advertisement affecting his reputation in the programming world.... or even just a reminder email to not confuse gamers staying his name vs. The company. Although I'd assume it's more trouble than it's worth. I also assume Chris is in it for the living and not the bank like atari.

Dr. M though definitely right.... Wouldn't be surprised if it was just atari asking Chris if he thinks the idea was a good one and him saying yes without doing any actual work on the game.

I'm not knocking it..... I am sure it would be easy to mod the android version... or just post a save data with tons of money. Of course it is illegal to download the game for free, manipulate code for free money, and what not although it's going to be done by someone somewhere. If you pay for the game from the store from downloading the mod you can have the standpoint you support the work the devs put in while boycotting the pay to play aspects honestly though it is not like that would hold up if court if atari decided to waste money to seek these gamers out and get them in trouble although if they did I'm sure they would go after whoever released the mod vs. users of it.

Honestly though from the trailer it looks playable and more like rct than like other theme park games like ea and pucca. I understand it could be better although it could be worse. I'm just going to be grateful for the most part and just hope I end up with a surface or something soon.

Edit:\/If you followed the info instead of hoping on the majority screw rct4mobile you would notice it is being for released for android at a later date. So many prejudice people is a so surprise there isn't an American born suprimest party like the Nazi regime...\/

Edited by man