TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When Atari went through bankruptcy protection a few years ago they probably brought on a bunch of game dev "gurus" who believed that the only future in the game industry were social games for the iphone.

They aren't entirely wrong. A cheap mobile game like this is much easier for public consumptuion on a mass market scale. Although this probably won't make as much as a full title, the ratio of time and cost in production to monetary return is vastly greater.

Remember the death of arcades, before the home console revolution, when everyone thought video games were dead? People were wrong then, and the people today saying that immersive, quality gaming experiences are on their way out in favor of cheap, shallow mobile games are wrong now. Video games are an artform, albeit a young one, and no matter how discouraging recent developments may seem, there will always be a demand for real, quality interactive entertainment.

Not saying you're necessarily making that argument, I just think it's important to take our cynicism with a little bit of perspective. I do think PC gaming will basically continue to become more and more niche to the point of obsolescence.

I cannot believe users on this righteous site are so annoyed.

RCT has brought a lot of fun throughout the years and now releasing a game for use on mobile phones is a disgrace? Anyone with opinion are I hope are under 1.4ms tall and have no clue about the real world.

Atari will make a fortune from such a game and any coaster/theme park fan should enjoy playing, what looks like RCT2, on their phone. I certainly enjoyed that game ten years ago and I would pay a few pounds to get it on my phone.

It is what it is and thinking you are more knowledgeable than Atari if you have an issue makes me laugh. If they would have made more money bringing out the next offering on PC they would have; fortunately business sense trumps poorly put together criticism.

RCT has brought a lot of fun throughout the years and now releasing a game for use on mobile phones is a disgrace? Anyone with opinion are I hope are under 1.4ms tall and have no clue about the real world.

Atari will make a fortune from such a game and any coaster/theme park fan should enjoy playing, what looks like RCT2, on their phone. I certainly enjoyed that game ten years ago and I would pay a few pounds to get it on my phone.

It is what it is and thinking you are more knowledgeable than Atari if you have an issue makes me laugh. If they would have made more money bringing out the next offering on PC they would have; fortunately business sense trumps poorly put together criticism.

No one here is complaining about it being on a mobile device. They are complaining that the gameplay-style looks very drastically changed. Most here would be very happy with a mobile port of RCT2. They are complaining because it looks very little like RCT2. Instead of being a theme park management/coaster sim-type game, it looks now to be a much less interactive experience more like Coasterville or EA's theme park where you either wait in real time to accrue tickets or buy stuff outright with real world money and have your friends visit. No terrain adjustments or footpath worries. It's taken care for you. Makes sure to play every day to maximize your profits so you can buy the really cool stuff. It becomes less about good management and more about showing off to your facebook friends and building a big outrageous park with all the rides because your either (a) very patient and persistent or (b) so, so rich.

^ But mobile game developers aren't exactly thriving either. Look at Zynga. Or (what's left of) Disney Interactive.

What are you talking about? Have you seen the Zygna building? They got a mini free arcade with a couple pinballa and arcade games including a basketball hoop thrower, foosball, etc. All in the lobby. I was so bummed having to walk byt them and not play them.

^ But mobile game developers aren't exactly thriving either. Look at Zynga. Or (what's left of) Disney Interactive.

What are you talking about? Have you seen the Zygna building? They got a mini free arcade with a couple pinballa and arcade games including a basketball hoop thrower, foosball, etc. All in the lobby. I was so bummed having to walk byt them and not play them.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/19/zynga-naturalmotion-acquisition-mobile-games

BTW tech companies are notorious for having "cool" employee perks like Zynga's lobby, but that doesn't translate into the company actually doing well or making money. Disney Interactive moved into a shiny new building 2 years ago and laid off 700 people last week.

Thank you for reading the entire thread and not making a stupid post after browsing through everyone's comments and concerns. Maybe people will read just a page or two, and then post something that is so off the mark that it's obvious they didn't bother to read the thread. Clearly that is not what you have done here. Your insight is very much appreciated.

Edited by robbalvey

^ So true. I used to deliver to Ion Storm's fancy offices in the Chase Tower right before they closed in 2000 or 2001. That turned out so well for them.

In fact, didn't Don Mattrick become Zynga CEO to fix a lot of their problems?

Yeah he did, but who knows if it'll stem the bleeding. I had a few co-worker friends leave where I work and go to Zynga and they were all laid off over the course of the last couple years.

Well according to their Facebook page they claim that the mobile version and the PC version will be different. The PC version will have more features.

"We hear everyone’s comments on the new RollerCoaster Tycoon game and want to let you all know that the mobile game and PC experience will be 2 completely different games. Both games will release this year. The mobile game will include social features (sharing with friends, leaderboards) and the PC experience will have even more features and functionality. We are excited to bring these games to you soon!"

Some hope, but I will not be expecting much until screenshots.

Sorry, I was catching up late and referencing the ones on the top of page 21.

Oh! LOL. Those weren't screen shots of RCT4, those were screen shots of other awful theme park games that no one played that look exactly like what they are proposing as RCT4!

Patrick was just trying to make a point that you can't tell the difference between what they have shown us for RCT4 and all the other garbage that has been released.

I guess you can say... point taken?

Sorry, I was catching up late and referencing the ones on the top of page 21.

Oh! LOL. Those weren't screen shots of RCT4, those were screen shots of other awful theme park games that no one played that look exactly like what they are proposing as RCT4!

Patrick was just trying to make a point that you can't tell the difference between what they have shown us for RCT4 and all the other garbage that has been released.

I guess you can say... point taken?

Thanks Robb, this was a big Homer Simpson "Doh" on my part. That is what I get for trying to go through a couple pages quickly between meetings.

Although, I may still be ahead of the curve on a few that did not bother at all to read the whole thread from some of their comments...

I'll be right back.

I just need to give myself a lobotomy, bleach my eyes, burn all of my mobile devices, install No Limits 2 on my desktop, and go move into a cardboard box with internet on the exact opposite side of the earth from the Atari Distribution Headquarters.

I've seen Resident Evil get ruined.

I've seen Call of Duty get ruined.

I've seen Motorstorm get ruined.

I've seen Silent Hill, Super Mario, Halo, and Assassin's Creed get ruined.

But fanboys of those series have nothing on what war crimes have been commited against this series.

Seriously, a TEN YEAR SERIES HIATUS, and then this?

Of couse we'll have to see, but advertising this thing like it's going to be the next big FarmTown is one step forward because it's a new game in the series, and then twenty steps back because of the microtransactions, the ipad exclusivity, the facebook integration, the boring unrealistic and unstylized art style, and the list goes on and goddamn on.

/rant.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't want to see another once great games company go down the crapper like Konami did a couple years back.

I look forward to laughing at the sales figures & the long-term performance of this product.

A year from now, Atari will realize how big of a fail this is.

Here's what I fear most: This becoming successfull. It's already gathered lots of attention, and that could translate to (at the very least, short term) success if they time the launch and demise properly.

This is terrible for the once great franchise, sure a RCT game could work well on mobile/tablets but not a dumbed down free to play (With in app purchases??) version.

I played the original RCT and RCT2 and probably lost many an hour to the game just on park planning before i even built rides then i would loose many more hours just making my park as realistic as possible with ride placement and general landscaping. Now whilst 2 was the best i did find 3 to be really fun mainly because it was fully 3D and like the other games allowed you to build a realistic park with a decent amount of tools plus riding the rides was quite fun for a bit.

I guess we won't get a decent follow up to RCT 3 but if Theme Park Studio is any good then that might be my go to game for building a theme park.