TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

If Chris Sawyer made a kickstarter to create an updated sequel to roller-coaster tycoon 2 (or heck even 3) just in the same style since he couldn't use the name i'd back it

Sadly, I think he's done with games.

But... that's being said... I wouldn't mind some of the very talented "indie" people out there to come up with an RCT-killer and Kickstart it like Theme Park Studio did. I still feel there is room for a 2D style theme park game that will allow you to ride your coasters in 3D.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm disappointed in this, as everybody else seems to be. It's more a remake of Bullfrog's Theme Park than anything remotely similar to the RCT series. I hope the PC version of this doesn't follow the same graphics model or God forbid game model.

Well I've still got many hours left with RCT3 before I even come close to being "done" with that game so I guess I'll stick with that.

Am I crazy or does it seem to anyone else like people wanted to be smarter 10-15 years ago so they gravitated towards games like RCT and such, while today people are clamoring for all sorts of ways to become dumber?

"Oh it's ok because it's just a mobile game!" Yes, a mobile game that will do nothing to enhance your knowledge of how a park is run, how a coaster works, why you can't have 17 loops in one coaster, how a wood wild mouse can actually be a really fun ride, what a side-friction wood coaster even is, or any of that. No play this game where wooden coasters apparently have loops that look *just like* a steel coaster's loops and can be totally unsupported! Dumb that will make you dumber. This is apparently what Atari thinks people want, and sadly I think they are correct. People want that which makes them dumber nowadays. Dumb is what sells. That's just my feel with how things are going lately.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

Well I've still got many hours left with RCT3 before I even come close to being "done" with that game so I guess I'll stick with that.

Am I crazy or does it seem to anyone else like people wanted to be smarter 10-15 years ago so they gravitated towards games like RCT and such, while today people are clamoring for all sorts of ways to become dumber?

"Oh it's ok because it's just a mobile game!" Yes, a mobile game that will do nothing to enhance your knowledge of how a park is run, how a coaster works, why you can't have 17 loops in one coaster, how a wood wild mouse can actually be a really fun ride, what a side-friction wood coaster even is, or any of that. No play this game where wooden coasters apparently have loops that look *just like* a steel coaster's loops and can be totally unsupported! Dumb that will make you dumber. This is apparently what Atari thinks people want, and sadly I think they are correct. People want that which makes them dumber nowadays. Dumb is what sells. That's just my feel with how things are going lately.

Atari probably thought they could get away with it since mobile game engagement is different than PC engagement, but I think the backlash shows people really do want something more akin to the old game.

My hope would be Atari seeing the support and enthusiasm TPS has drummed up, and then feel the need to create a competing game.

So they finished this in one week

Still remember talking about RCT3 back to elementary school, that game was insanely popular.

But this might be a good sign. People start buying NL2 and TPS so they have more money to develop something even better. Plus, now that dump GP stays as dump GP, partly can elevate the quality of the whole roller coaster enthusiast community (If you really want to be a roller coaster enthusiast, do something other than RCT4)

owmyballs.jpg

Yup...

My hope would be Atari seeing the support and enthusiasm TPS has drummed up, and then feel the need to create a competing game.

Part of the appeal of RollerCoaster Tycoon as a series is definitely being able to create anything - some of the stuff that NewElement puts out is nuts (in a good way). But the other part of the appeal is the real-time strategy scenario gameplay, something of which Theme Park Studio is currently lacking.

I believe that RollerCoaster Tycoon was always a game first and a simulation second, at least until [insert name here] starting putting custom content into RCT2.

^^ Thanks for reminding me to dislike it! I just did it!

I don't think Atari's logic is right. The only people who play RCT are die-hard coaster fans (just from my personal experience). The GP does not care, so when Atari releases this as it is, people will not really care. It just looks like all the other coaster-building and amusement park apps on the App Store and the GP won't know the difference (even though there is no difference) nor will they care. If this was the route Atari went I think they went on a bad path.

As someone who has been playing this for about ten years now, I am dissapointed. It just doesn't look right to me...it just doesn't... It also does not look like you could add custom buildings.

^ I miss those sections.

People have probably already responded to this but I had to say no I think RCT had tons of appeal to a broad variety of gamers, including people who'd never ridden a roller coaster in their life. RCT was a bonafide phenomenon, not some niche market product.

But I think it's safe to say that what was, is no more. Hardly anyone plays PC games now period, and why should they? Developers release games with tons of glitches, making their costumers into unpaid beta testers, and that's besides needing a $200 graphics card and the blood of a virgin just to make the darn things run. Who needs it?

But I think it's safe to say that what was, is no more. Hardly anyone plays PC games now period, and why should they? Developers release games with tons of glitches, making their costumers into unpaid beta testers, and that's besides needing a $200 graphics card and the blood of a virgin just to make the darn things run. Who needs it?

Um, I love my Wii U and 3DS, but...

I watched half of the video and shut it off. Looks like total crap if you ask me!

I have every RCT game on my PC and to this date RCT2 is my favorite. The 3rd was a little too "cartoony" for my likings. I think I play RTC2 once a week for about 4 or 5 hours.

Maybe one day I will buy one of those other roller coaster design games...

So...I feel like it should at least be brought up...

Theme Park Studio is available for early access already. And it's basically what everyone here is so pissed about not existing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254590/

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree that if Atari just pulled out of their butt all the RCT2 development files, added track pieces and modern coaster types, added a POV camera, wrote some more dumb guest comments and made the scenarios hard as junk the result would have sold well and pleased many.

Guys, this game is for your mobile (cell phone) so it cannot have all of the capability that a modern PC has.

But next time you are on a boring car journey or queuing up for a ride, maybe this will help pass the time.

I think fair play Atari.

Thanks for reading the thread before posting.

Part of the appeal of RollerCoaster Tycoon as a series is definitely being able to create anything - some of the stuff that NewElement puts out is nuts (in a good way). But the other part of the appeal is the real-time strategy scenario gameplay, something of which Theme Park Studio is currently lacking.

I believe that RollerCoaster Tycoon was always a game first and a simulation second, at least until [insert name here] starting putting custom content into RCT2.

I think this is very important to remember.

I also think it would be harder putting out a proper sequel to RCT than most people seem to think. RCT was a hell of a game, but once you had it figured out, all the things you had to do to make your park successful, it wasn't hard to beat it. RCT 2 came out and it wasn't anything revolutionary, it simply added content, features, and streamlined the interface. And what people don't seem to remember is that RCT 2 was a big disappointment for a lot of people, precisely because it felt too close to the original. Same gameplay/graphics, same tricks to beating it.

I never played RCT 3 so I can't comment there, but it seems like developing the game has the same challenges as developing any other series, how do you keep the formula, but update it and make it fresh? For all the people saying "all they'd have to do is make the same game all over again but add some stuff", I disagree, there'd be no point, you might as well go play the original. Would it be better than this abomination? Sure, but it still wouldn't be "good".

One more thing. If anyone thinks the backlash, or "competition" from TPS, or anything short of a direct act of God, could make Atari want to do anything different from what they're doing, I'd say you're being willfully naïve.

Guys, this game is for your mobile (cell phone) so it cannot have all of the capability that a modern PC has.

If my iPhone can comfortably play a complete port of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, it can surely play a port of RCT2.

Why anyone feels the need to apologize for Atari for this game is beyond me. There are thousands of apps already available to be downloaded today that require much of the same functionality if not more (i.e. augmented reality, simulated depth with the help of the phone's embedded camera, etc...) than you'd find in a modern day PC. There is no reason why this mobile game couldn't have been more than a glorified Facebook-embedded game that you can play on a phone. At the end of the day, they've already got three different versions of the game they could've ported and been better off doing so.

How often does a sequel for a video game so blatantly start from scratch to the point that they fundamentally regress the game to a level lesser than that of the original? No particular game franchise comes to mind...

^it would all come down to the architecture. RCT2 came out when ARM was barely being used. So a port may be significantly more difficult.

Side note, I've put RCT2 on a windows tablet (asus t100)' with a pretty lame atom processor and it still ran great though. Except for the error trapper you'd get if you tried to alter the resolution.

^it would all come down to the architecture. RCT2 came out when ARM was barely being used. So a port may be significantly more difficult.

Ugh. Stop taking things so literal. "Port" does not always equal taking the EXACT code and porting it over.

If a developer is good enough to create a new game from scratch to run on several platforms, they should be good enough to at least "re-create" RCT 2.

Didn't Chris Sawyer code RCT himself? Surely they could hire a dozen coders to do a proper port..

He did. The trouble is that he coded it in Assembly which is a real pain in the ass to port over. BUT... what makes more sense? Having an entire team ripping through that and re-creating it into a more "today's tech" palatable language, or hiring a team to make something that looks like what they have put in front of us?

It probably would have cost less to port since they could have taken all the original art assets and just polished them up a bit instead of making everything from scratch.