TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

There is actually one thing I fear with this game. That is when it is available enough idiots spend their mony on it for Atari to say: "I don't get the complains we got from the announcement. We did good." Because someone who respects the serie won't buy this but some eather feel the need to buy it: "Because I collect every game of the RCT serie." or are just to stupid to see how bad the game is. And we all know that they won't learn if that happens.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There will be a proper PC release aswel, this is just the mobile counterpart.

If there wasn't then they wouldn't have called it "Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 Mobile" they wouldn't have put the 4 in there. The mobile version is similar in style to RCT 1 and 2, the PC version will be similar to RCT 3 and Theme Park Studio. Hopefully.

Reminds me of the RCT3DS to an extent. Not that I'm okay with that, but still. I am such a sucker for RCT (and have been playing it since 2002), that I might actually get it. If it plays better than it looks, I'll let you all know.

I would love if they just went back to RCT1/RCT2 style gameplay for the PC version of 4... Obviously with updated elements, scenery, effects, etc... But the same isometric play style. I still play it to this day and enjoy it. RCT3 was terrible in comparison and uninstalled it relatively quickly.

It looks like the CoasterVille game by Zynga on Facebook.

I registered on the website and they instantly want me to get more friends to register. Ugh, micro transactions and badgering friends for help, there's just nothing to like about this at first glance.

RCT.jpg.87f1e1910e296aa1b10d1e0d2b032fb9.jpg

I hate how a lot of companies think that everyone wants to integrate social media with everything they do. I know a few people who are like this, but clearly the core RCT fans don't share the same views. I always found the game more of a private experience, where I could pull myself away from the world and everyone else. Ready to put some money down for Theme Park Studio now.

Guys, here's the reality -

Mass market PC games as we know it, are pretty much gone. Let's just say that Atari went the route they are going, with a "freemium" mobile game, with a social-media based PC "experience", the reality is, if it was actually a game that looked GOOD and was true to the Roller Coaster Tycoon franchise, I don't think we'd all be complaining.

If they announced something that looked like a REAL successor to RCT2, but was on Facebook or Mobile, and yes, that might be annoying, but let's just say there were benefits to that, like being able to have frequent updates like Simpsons Tapped Out, or being able to visit your friends park as a "guest", etc, I'd be TOTALLY ON BOARD!

But what Atari is doing is killing the franchise on two levels - One with a format that isn't very conducive to the type of game RCT is, and two, creating a game that looks NOTHING like a real theme park with real rides.

I'd put up with the freemium model or the Facebook style Zinga game if the content was actually compelling, and so far, everything I've seen leads me to believe it's "not."

We've had nearly 400 Re-tweets on this message to Atari telling them what players want from RCT: Re-tweet it and help us inform them!

Edited by robbalvey

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Clearly Atari seems to have ignored this principle along with the entire fan base RCT has built up over the last 15 years with this trash though. What a waste of time and money on their part. Game sequels are supposed to take steps forward to improve upon what the previous version had, not ignore the entirety of the franchise and take 20 steps back. I mean looking at the history of the franchise in terms of sales, fan base, direction, look/graphics etc... who the hell would greenlight this garbage as the "triumphant return of 1 of the most popular franchises of all time"?!?!

And I could care less about the supposed upcoming PC version as well. If Atari wanted to "wow" the fans with the long awaited sequel to one of the most beloved game franchises of all time, they would have announced something that looks worthy of a sequel first, not this diarrhea. It sets a REALLY low standard and expectation for what the PC version will be...

^^ Thanks for reminding me to dislike it! I just did it!

I don't think Atari's logic is right. The only people who play RCT are die-hard coaster fans (just from my personal experience). The GP does not care, so when Atari releases this as it is, people will not really care. It just looks like all the other coaster-building and amusement park apps on the App Store and the GP won't know the difference (even though there is no difference) nor will they care. If this was the route Atari went I think they went on a bad path.

As someone who has been playing this for about ten years now, I am dissapointed. It just doesn't look right to me...it just doesn't... It also does not look like you could add custom buildings.

^ I miss those sections.

The only people who play RCT are die-hard coaster fans (just from my personal experience). The GP does not care

Now this is totally a mis-conception. I would say that the only people that play RCT *RIGHT NOW* are die-hard coaster fans, but the game was HUGELY popular to the masses when it first came out. It's hard to get sales data from 10 to 15 years ago, but reports say it sold anywhere between 3.5 - 6 million copies.

The game's success was due to how well it simulated an actual theme park. When Hasbro first published it, they didn't make many copies because they saw that EA's Theme Park did well, but not AMAZING. But when RCT came out, the gameplay was so much better that it flew off the shelves.

if I remember correctly, it was the #1 selling PC game until The Sims came out.

I would say that the game is actually responsible for turning many "GP" into coaster enthusiasts!

So yeah, to go back to your original statement, the game was VERY VERY popular with the GP, and I "get" that Atari is probably trying to go back to a format that they think will resonate with the GP again, but clearly ignoring everything that made the game popular to begin with.

^I'd like to add that many coaster enthusiasts I know (including myself) actually got into the world of rollercoasters because of RCT. When the games came out basically everybody in my school was playing it, and nowadays every still remembers the puking guests, crashing rollercoasters and drowning mascottes (or is that just me?).

The game took a turn for the worse with RCT3 and I was hoping Atari got their shit together for the next release, but this like hitting rock bottom only to get a drill hoping to get even lower.

The brilliance of the original game is that it holds appeal for both casual players and the more hardcore ones.

Want to just build a simple park with pre-made coasters, decorations, and rides? You can.

Want to customize everything from track layouts, to colour schemes, to elaborate environments? You can do that as well.

^^ Yep. For someone reason I was thinking that it was considered the most successful game of all time due to it's cheap development and huge sales. I can remember downloading the demo in college and playing it over and over again. My friends always gave me crap about it, but after trying it out, several of them ended up buying the game when it came out because it was so much fun. None of them could have cared less about roller coasters, either.

As someone who has spent two decades in the video game business I can tell you that no company goes and creates one version of the game and also spends tons of money on a radically different version at the same time.

To be fair, this used to happen but only because of a certain reason, which was that the two different versions HAD to be radically different, like when you had a company programming for the N64 and the GameBoy (Color, usually) at the same time. Having said that, in those situations the worse version almost always *followed* the initial development, you don't lead with garbage and then expect people to buy anything decent.

But what Atari is doing is killing the franchise on two levels - One with a format that isn't very conducive to the type of game RCT is, and two, creating a game that looks NOTHING like a real theme park with real rides.

...and that is how you can tell you work in the game industry Someone at Atari must have said hey, let's slap the RCT name on this and it'll make tons, not realizing that the damage it does to a franchise like RCT will be irreversible.

It's also like you said - the traditional PC market is all but dead. I honestly wouldn't be too disappointed with even a microtransaction game if there is a decent hook to play it. If it means a better RCT game, I'd embrace it.

But... this is NOT a better RCT game.

As someone who has spent two decades in the video game business I can tell you that no company goes and creates one version of the game and also spends tons of money on a radically different version at the same time.

To be fair, this used to happen but only because of a certain reason, which was that the two different versions HAD to be radically different, like when you had a company programming for the N64 and the GameBoy (Color, usually) at the same time.

I really wish people would stop taking what I said out of context and then try to "prove me wrong" like they know more about game development than I do because they have the internet - it's really obnoxious.

I will tell you that I worked on MANY games where we had different developments for a handheld and a console... BUT... those developments were both "woven from the same cloth" as to amortize the cost of assets over all the different versions.

What was being suggested is that Atari was making two TOTALLY SEPARATE, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN BOTH LOOK, FEEL, DESIGN, AND GAMEPLAY. My point was that the likelyhood of that happening was very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very slim.

Please stop trying to tell me things that I spent twenty years of my life doing. That's like you telling Alan Schilke how to design roller coasters.

Thanks.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

You should tell him that he needs to be involved again........PLEASE!!!!!

You know, I can fully appreciate his not wanting to be involved in the mess that is the video games business anymore!

If you read some of the stories from over the years, I'm pretty sure Atari screwed him over really good! I can't see anyone wanting to go back to that environment again.

Edited by robbalvey

Now that I look back, it was the original RCT game that got me into coasters. Which is pretty much the reason my heart sunk in disappointment when I saw this.

Same for me ! I didn't became an enthusiast 100% due to the RCT series, but partly. Let's say I had my first contacts with Six Flags other than La Ronde in RCT2 way before I even saw a picture of the real parks. I had been dreaming to visit SFMM due to RCT2 since I was young (I guess I was wrong ). Atari just destroyed a part of my childhood by making this "game".