TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ewwww it's one of those in-app purchase games. All of the cool rides [well they all suck], but the 'cooler' rides your going to have pay butt loads of your actual money to get. With the 'coins' you won't get much. That's how these apps get money; it's not pay $20 get unlimited access anymore. It's a free app, but pay up if you really want to get into it. But for 'coins' that everyone can get someone can probably make a killer design with the different paths. You can call it Path World.

I came here just to see if everyone was reacting as intended. Yeah, it looks horrible, and I would never buy this anyway because I don't play any sort of games on my phone (I mainly just stream the internet, listen to music, and... you know, call people).

According to Atari's catalog for 2015-2016 the PC version is listed under online games. That makes it sound it will be a Facebook style port of the mobile one. Personally, I think that if they were going to make a real PC game they wouldn't want to waste development on terrible mobile game that will make people stay as far away from the PC one, and focus on the real game.

Source: http://www.calyptus.net/atari/PR%20Revenue%20Q3%202014.pdf

In the video the even mention you can invite your friends on Facebook, i'd just expect that sort of integration as well. Nice going Atari.

Personally, I would rather go back to the original Tycoon, and add

the new coasters (and everything else) in that style of rendering, etc.

Love Live The Original!

I don't like this. I'm not sure what Atari was thinking.

^I think RCT4 should have had a more traditional RCT/RCT2 feel to it just for the classiness.

^well to be fair EA has been doing that. See the sims for PC and sims free style for mobile.

Um, yeah... Hi. These two games share similar assets, art direction and theme. Why don't you leave the game development discussion to the people who actually have spent most of their lives in game development. Thanks.

simsfreeplay.png.ad378e4b58a8bb3f7b266776b44cc229.png

the-sims-3_5.jpg.980aea52acd392f0543d5b80705d213c.jpg

--Robb "There is nothing more annoying than someone who doesn't know what they are talking about trying to prove to you they know what they are talking about." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I'm actually glad it looks like crap..if they ported RCT2 over directly I'd be spending waaay too much time on my iPad.

Haha yeah, as if I need yet another reason to be staring at my phone 18 out of 24 hours a day.

10012713_10152253721193419_1034920581_o.thumb.jpg.0c7eccd91ee0196451af778cff2e5796.jpg

This is supposed to be a screen shot of the game. So it will essentially cost you your soul if you want to build a coaster.

I found over 10 articles bashing Atari and the announcement. I found 3 petitions asking them to change it. Will Atari hear us?

This reminds me of the backlash EA got when they revealed SimCity several years after SimCity 4, which, in my opinion, is a more superior game than the new SimCity. If it worked in the past, why in the world would it possibly not work now. All they had to do was update the coaster styles, tracks, and other rides and provide better guest AI. I would have been very content with just all that.

[attachment=0]10012713_10152253721193419_1034920581_o.jpg[/attachment]

This is supposed to be a screen shot of the game. So it will essentially cost you your soul if you want to build a coaster.

I found over 10 articles bashing Atari and the announcement. I found 3 petitions asking them to change it. Will Atari hear us?

and see, all of the cool elements cost you ACTUAL money (tickets have to be bought) or you get very stingily during the game. More of a ripoff than a game.

Edited by boardwalkbullet91507

You know what this reminds me of? One of those motion simulator rides where you build a "coaster" and then "ride" it.

and see, all of the cool elements cost you ACTUAL money (tickets have to be bought) or you get very stingily during the game. More of a ripoff than a game.

I wonder if you have to pay money to drown your handymen.

^^I'd take one of those over this garbage any day.

It is totally baffling to see this sequel looking like an Amiga predecessor to the original game. Despite how bad it looks, I can't say I'm surprised considering how Atari has handled the property over the last decade.

NoLimits 2 and Theme Park Studios will serve to deliver robust, modern day gaming, and RCT4m will strive to be the FarmVille of the theme park gaming genre.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I have been trying to comprehend Atari's logic with their gaming.

One reason they may be ignoring fans is the fact that most of the current fans tend to be people who were hooked on the games at younger ages, and continued to play into young adulthood. Therefore, it seems as if they are trying to re-appeal to the young audience that made the original a hit.

But, the problem is that the beauty of the original RCT (as well as games such as Sim City) is that they are not made for very young kids. They were made for more of a pre teen to young adult audience. With complex interfaces and scenarios that took hours to beat, I could see few young kids (less than 10 years of age) getting in to an RCT type game.

However, now Atari is shooting for an audience that is even younger than their original audience, which makes absolutely no sense.

If they want their next game to be a hit, they should go back and target the original audience that made the games a hit, instead of running a once great series to the ground.

Edit: Just to point this out, Justin Bieber's "Baby" video has 2,262,327 likes and 3,869,469 dislikes, leaving about a 0.506 ratio of likes to dislikes. RCT4 has 122 likes and 4,645 dislikes, leaving a 0.026 like to dislike ratio. Therefore, Justin Bieber is 19.5 times more preferred on the internet than RCT4.

A new and well-made theme park game should come out, and considering the original success, I do not see why nothing even remotely similar to RCT has come out since (though Theme Park Studio could be a very good supplement, as far as we have seen).

So, why will Atari not make a real game, if that is what made them money in the first place?

Just to point this out, Justin Bieber's "Baby" video has 2,262,327 likes and 3,869,469 dislikes, leaving about a 0.506 ratio of likes to dislikes. RCT4 has 122 likes and 4,645 dislikes, leaving a 0.026 like to dislike ratio. Therefore, Justin Bieber is 19.5 times more preferred on the internet than RCT4

Ow honestly that is saying something. I have been hoping for this and being an android user I hope it is not like coaster crazy (am awesome SIM) although only on iOS... Or the deluxe console and kindle version in the Amazon store that I can not find the .obb file for do can't even test on my G2. Anyways I had looked into some kind of port with the only possibility being an open source version called rctfree way early in development leaving pretty much no possibility. Although I don't route or have pc access so I can't really do much besides what I can do through my phone. I did figure out the reason the original rct 1 & 2 coding could not be used was due to the format and that it had to essentially be remade from scratch as the format was not possible with the phone os our whatnot.

So I hope that explains a bit why there is no port as simply it is not that simple. The man who coded rct originally, Chris Sawyer, is considered very inteligent for not only being capable, but also having coded the 3 games in this form even though his work was strictly coding. I may not be 100% correct although that's why you should always do your own research and fact check.

Anyways onto my opinions of the game from what I saw in the preview it's it could be worse. I only saw the 3ds version from review and while for story playability for what rct had it just seems terrible. I did not see it although heard about sandbox mode which is really the only thing I'm interested in while I would still appreciate the I original rct scenario style gameplay. Getting back to rct4phone as long as they leave the gameplay as it was and at least recreate the original scenario gameplay style and even hopefully some maps as it was I won't complain how it looks. If they do make it only playable with in app purchases unless you choose to wait hours I'll be upset although I doubt it will as it cost money. I do hope they add things like sandbox mode if it does play like the original rct even though it looks like new age garbage as the phone lacks a good coaster or theme park SIM game. Honestly a theme park SIM is like the most important thing and that ea theme park game doesn't count.

If they do try to recreate the 3ds version for the phone that will be as shame. I can see trying to add things with the opportunity although they will result lose the simple elegant spark that made rct what it was. The last thing it needs is to have character development and a story mode.... It's a theme park design, operations, and economics simulator not an adventure game with simulator and coaster designer aspects.

Edit : Sorry for my long post. Lots of useless reading I know I just tend to do that. How many people really read long posts or a thread before relying anyways...I know I usually don't. Also posting from my phone makes it harder to keep things short oddly.

Edit 2: If people really think the new rct for pc will suck because the phone version does you have to have some level of ignorance. If anything they will tweak the old coding for RCT 3 and add new maps and maybe a few rides and call it a new game. I know you used to work with games Robb so if you can explain why they would take time to redesign the code and make an even worse version than rct3, which has its issues, when I assume the bad quality is due to some laziness. I just for feel like lazy people will build a new crappy product when they can tweak and relable something that already works for the most part.

Edit 3: I do notice tickets in the picture as well as the lack of banking. I do hope it gets made well