TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon Mobile (RCTM) Discussion Thread

iOS would have seemed like the PERFECT platform to port the old RCT2 over, even if they had included in-app purchases, and at least that would have had a chance.

This. They had planned to release the original game onto iOS last year when they were going through the phase of porting their old/popular games onto the system, but it never happened. Now we have this crap.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, RCT3 is my favorite, because it was the version I started with, but It seems the crowd pleaser is definitely RCT2 or 1. I agree, they should have just ported RCT2 or 1 over for mobile and then made RCT4 a PC and Mac version, which would be an upgrade from RCT3 instead of a downgrade.

I wouldn't care if it was RCTM but the 4 is what seems to insult people and reasonably so.

What people are missing here is that it has nothing to do with the "number" but everything to do with the overall direction of the franchise. Don't forget there was a 3DS game a couple of years ago, and that was a hot mess also.

I don't have ANY confidence that Atari knows anything about this franchise anymore, what made it a success in the first place, or what they need to do to make it a success again.

iOS would have seemed like the PERFECT platform to port the old RCT2 over, even if they had included in-app purchases, and at least that would have had a chance.

People also seem to forget that games cost a TON of money to develop, and when you are selling a mobile app for 99 cents, you pretty much HAVE to create in-app purchases to make a game viable.

I don't have a problem paying a dollar or two for a roller coaster pack IF the game was something I was interested in and in this case, looked and felt like an RCT game should. But everything I've seen so far leads me to believe the direction of the franchise is completely off course.

I agree, they have totally lost all perspective on what the amusement park industry and world is like today.

I really hope atari fixes this. This game looks bad and dissapointing.

The more people that Re-tweet this the better:

Every time you RT, someone at Atari will get a notification that it's been retweeted, so *hopefully* someone at Atari may take notice when it has over 250 re-tweets so far!

(and feel free to post that link anyone to help us on our Re-tweet crusade...this is certainly going to have more impact than an online petition or something like that!)

People also seem to forget that games cost a TON of money to develop, and when you are selling a mobile app for 99 cents, you pretty much HAVE to create in-app purchases to make a game viable.

I think that this is the rare exception where they could have actually gotten nerds like myself to pay a decent amount for an app if it were done to the standards of the original RCT games.

RCT2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Definitely in the top 3. I started on RCT1, and eventually played RCT3 (when it worked) when Platinum came out. I still play 2 because it runs so smoothly after more than a decade, and is still so fun and creative. To see this abomination... just horrible. I can't believe they would run the name through the mud just for another stupid Facebook game. I guess this is where I part ways with RCT...

I highly doubt I'll play this game even if it is free, but it could appeal to the same audience that plays games on Facebook. Getting this game as a Facebook "app" would probably benefit them quite a bit. I've never really played Farmville, but this does not look too far off from the same idea.

I'd say I'm looking forward to just about anything else coaster or game related!

I wouldn't care if it was RCTM but the 4 is what seems to insult people and reasonably so.

What people are missing here is that it has nothing to do with the "number" but everything to do with the overall direction of the franchise. Don't forget there was a 3DS game a couple of years ago, and that was a hot mess also.

I don't have ANY confidence that Atari knows anything about this franchise anymore, what made it a success in the first place, or what they need to do to make it a success again.

I don't have a problem paying a dollar or two for a roller coaster pack IF the game was something I was interested in and in this case, looked and felt like an RCT game should. But everything I've seen so far leads me to believe the direction of the franchise is completely off course.

I agree with all of this. What hope is there for another decent PC game at this point? They say a PC version is on the way, but that smells like BS to me. Nothing we've seen indicates they've got the creative power necessary for a true sequel. If there is a PC version, I bet it'll just be more shovelware.

Can anybody tell me the last truly decent PC game that carried the name "Atari"?

Edited by Dr. M

GUYS THESE SCREENSHOTS ARE FOR THE MOBILE VERSION ON YOUR IPHONE.

THEY SAID the PC version is still in development and will be released late this year

If you EVER scream at people like this again our forum it will be the LAST post you ever make. Got that? Good.

Having said that, I think you really need to read the thread before you go freaking out like a child because this has already been addressed:

I don't have ANY confidence that Atari knows anything about this franchise anymore, what made it a success in the first place, or what they need to do to make it a success again. Unless the backlash they are getting from this announcement changes anything, I have no doubt that a future PC version would also share this same kind of direction with unrealistic looking rides, parks, and actual physics not being taken into consideration.

According to Atari's catalog for 2015-2016 the PC version is listed under online games. That makes it sound it will be a Facebook style port of the mobile one. Personally, I think that if they were going to make a real PC game they wouldn't want to waste development on terrible mobile game that will make people stay as far away from the PC one, and focus on the real game.

Source: http://www.calyptus.net/atari/PR%20Revenue%20Q3%202014.pdf

Edited by robbalvey

I think that if they were going to make a real PC game they wouldn't want to waste development on terrible mobile game that will make people stay as far away from the PC one, and focus on the real game.

EXACTLY!

As someone who has spent two decades in the video game business I can tell you that no company goes and creates one version of the game and also spends tons of money on a radically different version at the same time.

I'd put money on it and the same assets (artwork, animation, code, engine, etc) are being utilized for BOTH versions of the game.

The only hope we have is that Atari sees how much negativity has come from this announcement (the YouTube video currently has 4,447 thumbs down) and realizes that maybe they need to change gears for any future release.

The people who are all "Oh, there's a PC version? Oh, great! Then everything is OK" are going to be really bummed when they start to release screen shots of a "PC Experience" and it looks NOTHING like how an RCT game should look.

Please go RT my message to Atari:

This helps tell Atari what kind of RCT game you want.