TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The definition of a Roller coaster

The more rules you make the more you'll get tied up in knots and exceptions. Half the caveats we have now we wouldn't have needed 15 years ago because the industry is evolving and we are constantly blurring the lines more and more (RMC = wood or steel etc.)

I just look at a ride and think "would I consider this to be a coaster?" A Disko is obviously not a coaster but a boomerang is (be it a crap one). Common sense has to prevail!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been on a Disk'O Coaster yet from Zamperla so I can't really say (and not sure entirely how it works either). However, through talks with random friends about it, they compare it to Wicked Twister and they believe it is a coaster (generally speaking, these friends love the rides but don't know the in-depth things that we all here do). It does look like a coaster.

I'd say Pipe Scream could be a coaster. Kings Island has been claiming theirs as a coaster for years. Both VF and CP are claiming theirs as coasters this year and Zamperla states on their website that the Disk'O Coasters are actual coasters. I don't know how they arrived at that definition but maybe there is some "gravity-power" somewhere in the ride. Notice on Zamperla's website that their Disk'O Skater Coaster is listed under their "Roller Coaster Products" section (this is the one with the hump in the middle). All the rest of their Disk'O products (the ones without the hump) are listed under the "Family Rides" section. There must be some evidence that they have (aside from the camelback hump) that differentiates these Skater Coasters from the rest of the Disk'Os.

I, for one, count powered coasters in my count. I know they're powered, but they are still going along. This is only if RCDB or the park counts it as a powered coaster though (some could be coasters but neither list as such).

I count all the Journey to Atlantis' rides as coasters and water rides both. The ones at San Diego and Orlando have no argument from me. However, the one in San Antonio I never thought much of until I saw Robb's video regarding it. Mack & SeaWorld count it as a coaster, and I can see where they get the definition from...but its pretty much one drop backwards that gives it the "coaster" classification. I still count it as a coaster, but I definitely see the argument there.

Simply bit...there seem to be many "gray areas" when it comes to this.

My Credit Rules:

Powered coasters: No

Alpine Slides: The ones that run on coaster-style track (Alpine Coasters) are credits.

Disk-Os: No

Half-Pipes: Yes

Gravity Powered Dark Rides: Yes

First-Gen Freefalls: No

Water Rides: I basically go off of RCDB for these.

The water ride rule is the only one I have used.

What I would count as a coaster "credit"

.complete circuit coasters that have a lift hill (not kiddie ones)

.complete circuit launched coasters

Kind of a coaster "credit"

.Kiddie coasters

.Disk'O/Skater coasters

.Boomerang coasters

.Shuttle loop coasters

.Impulse coasters

.Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka

.Superman: Escape from Krypton at SFMM

Not a coaster "credit" at all

.Water slides

.Log/boat flume rides

.Skycoasters

.Driving a car down a big hilly road

.Watching a roller coaster POV video on YouTube

.Drop towers

.Intamin 1st Generation Free Fall rides

.Gravity powered rides

The only things I do not count are diskos, half pipes, and first generation drop rides.

In my opinion things like Possessed, boomerands, impluse and Vertical V2 are coasters. Just because a coaster does not make it a full circle does not mean its not one. Also I do count powered coasters.

I generally tend to go with my gut instinct on whether or not I consider a ride a coaster or not. I would say that the majority of my "gut instinct" is probably based on the type of car/train the ride uses. So, I would definitely say that IMO, Cedar Point's new "ride" is not a "coaster." ....for what it's worth.

I've just discovered something interesting, two hours north of Toronto...

Blue Mountain Resort has the "Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster". It looks like one of those terrain pipeline-style rides, but would you consider it a "roller coaster"? Check out the video and let me know your thoughts!

That (see OP) is clearly a coaster-related ride. If the spikes at the ends were more fully developed with very noticeable airtime, I might give it the benefit of the doubt. I managed to sneak on the kiddie version of that at KD and it was a very interesting sensation.

As an aside regarding powered coasters, I was thinking if a coaster had some means of adding a constant small powering force, it could feel like a coaster, but not quite, just enough different to be "wrong" in an interesting way... Like a coaster pushed by tiny demons. This could even be done so the driving force only offsets friction. Other possibilities include improvement of existing rides, for example a coaster with a rough spot could use motors acting as generators to slow it down, and then later put the energy back in the train.

Blue Mountain Resort has the "Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster". It looks like one of those terrain pipeline-style rides, but would you consider it a "roller coaster"? Check out the video and let me know your thoughts!

I personally think this is a coaster. A one car coaster train.

• 1 month later...

What about the Haunted House at Camden Park? It is not on RCDB but it as a lift chain and gravity the rest of the track. The only issue is there are no brakes. When I was there the brakes were a 325 pound man at in the station.

For me personally I tend to do it more on visual inspection than anything else. I will generally count powered coasters and water-coasters like EP's Poseidon as roller-coasters, and would count rides such as Supersplash rides as rides with 'coaster-elements'.

An interesting one I have found is that of Superman: The Escape/Escape from Krypton vs. First generation Intamin drop towers (see: Hollywood Tower at Movieland). The track shape is similar, but in my head I definitely count Superman as a coaster and Hollywood tower as a non-coaster. I think that's mostly due to the up-and-down nature of Superman. But then again I don't count half-pipes in my head despite the fact they go up and down.

It's definitely a grey area.

The "Alpine Coaster" seems to be popping up everywhere. I don't see how they can not be considered coasters. They have a very large lift hill that you ride to the top and a fun gravity ride down. There is an old school version still left in Peterborough and another two hours South of Toronto at Holiday Valley Ski Resort. I have been on them in Haiti and Jamaica too!

I just lazily go with what RCDB and Coaster Grotto (yeah I still use them for my coaster count) say. If you want to get technical I would say Intamin 1st gens and Disko's could be considered coasters but I think some common sense has to be used when defining coasters, there can't be a clear cut set of rules.

I used to love coaster grotto. I still often use it for my top 20 coasters because it shows all the coaster logos. I've since switched to Coaster-Count because of the easiness of use and the inclusion of more non traditional credits.

This is a debate that will never be settled.

There is a ride in Yomiuriland called the Sky Cycle. It is peddle powered but it is on a track and has a lift hill. You can coast about 3/4 of the way around the track. Is it a credit? Not in my book but some on the trip I was on counted it.

It wasn't long after that I stopped counting credits because everyone had different rules. Besides the count was for personal gratification anyway.