TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Next Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom?

Now, I hate it as much as the next guy when a park is shut down and abandoned, and no longer operates. Some parks we've recently seen shut down were Camelot, Six Flags New Orleans, Six Flags AstroWorld, and of course, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, which is probably the one that most of us think of. This park was left by Six Flags, and had to be shut down. We saw Chang be sent to Great Adventure, and after that, the park remained dormant. Of course, now the park is luckily being revived, so it will once again open up. But for todays topic question, which do you think would be the next park that has to shut down? Often these will be smaller parks, however we've had some fair sized parks leave in the past, such as Geauga Lake. The coasters often are sent to other parks, however sometimes we'll see them hang around the park. So anyway, feel free to state parks just about anywhere that you think would sadly have to leave. Ones that come to mind for me are parks on the beach or close to water, in which hurricanes will sometimes take them out. Its very sad, and I hate it when parks leave, but the fact of the matter is that it happens, so why not do a little predicting of which could be the ones to leave?

Edited by CPSFMMCW

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigans Adventure comes to mind, whens the last time they've gotten a decent coaster? All Cedar Fair does is give them hand me down, and the park is pretty close to Cedar Point so im sure Cedar Fair isnt going to be sending anything decent there anytime soon so basically all the thrill seekers arent going to be visiting, unless the are desperate for credits. So my predictions are that sooner or later that park will start to lose money and eventually become bankrupt. Now this is my opinion im really not that sure on what goes on at Michigans Adventure and how they run business.

Michigans Adventure comes to mind, whens the last time they've gotten a decent coaster? All Cedar Fair does is give them hand me down, and the park is pretty close to Cedar Point so im sure Cedar Fair isnt going to be sending anything decent there anytime soon so basically all the thrill seekers arent going to be visiting, unless the are desperate for credits. So my predictions are that sooner or later that park will start to lose money and eventually become bankrupt. Now this is my opinion im really not that sure on what goes on at Michigans Adventure and how they run business.

According to CF's Fun Forward, MiA is making some decent money for the size of the park:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2012/01/cedar-fair-is-looking-fun-forward.html

According to CF's Fun Forward, MiA is making some decent money for the size of the park:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2012/01/cedar-fair-is-looking-fun-forward.html

Geez they look like there in bad shape.

Geez they look like there in bad shape.

I better dust off my Resume and get out of Waldameer fast before it folds using your logic. We would kill to make as much revenue as Michigan's Adventure. The bottom line is that Michagan's Adventure is profitable based on our information. The sheer amount of revenue a park makes doesn't matter if they can't cover their expenses. It's called being successful relative to your market size and resources available.

Edited by ajfelice

If we are not speaking about SF or CF parks alone, I could see this happening to Magic Springs and Crystal Falls. To me the park just doesn't bring in enough revenue to keep going. Every time I've been there every ride is a walk on... And the crowds are nonexistent. I've been going to this park for at least 10 years, and every year it seems to be slipping farther and farther away. So my vote for "The Next Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom" goes to Magic Springs and Crystal Falls. . .

Now, I hate it as much as the next guy when a park is shut down and abandoned, and no longer operates. Some parks we've recently seen shut down were Camelot, Six Flags New Orleans, Six Flags AstroWorld, and of course, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, which is probably the one that most of us think of.

Fixed.

The only park I could see shut down is Conneaut. But that one is already pretty abandon as it is and keeps rising out of the ashes each year some how. Of course with Six Flags, there is always a possibility of them just shutting down a park and selling off the land to be used for NOTHING.

great america

I'd say The Great Escape (sadly). It's a park I really like but it really is neglected by Six Flags and I think a lot of the attendance comes from locals, or La Ronde/SFNE season pass holders, so I don't believe that park makes a lot of money. Again I'd hate to see it go because I really like it and have so many great memories at The Great Escape, but if there's one likely park to close it's that one.

I'd say The Great Escape (sadly). It's a park I really like but it really is neglected by Six Flags and I think a lot of the attendance comes from locals, or La Ronde/SFNE season pass holders, so I don't believe that park makes a lot of money. Again I'd hate to see it go because I really like it and have so many great memories at The Great Escape, but if there's one likely park to close it's that one.

I was never under the impression that Great Escape was not doing well. It seems to be sustaining very well. I think that park doesn't need world class new rides to keep its visitors coming in... and what is its competition?

Id be more concerned about parks like Magic Springs. I mean just the other year they were supposed to be taking out one of their stand out attractions to be moved to EG.

Edited by vacoaster09

^I don't think it needs world class rides neither, but I mean for a Six Flags it doesn't get as much as other parks... Its last coaster was a relocated Arrow Mine train 10 years ago... Of course it's not in an horrible situation neither, but if Six Flags had to cut expenses and close a park it would be the GE.

^ not to mention that the park doesn't really have any stand out roller coasters. The steels would probably be relocated to other Six Flags parks, and the woodies would probably remain at the park. Often times when a park closes, the woodies will not be relocated. They do have a good water park though, as well as the indoor part along with their lodge. It wouldn't surprise me if something like Geauga Lake happened to it, in which the water park would stay. Of course, that was Cedar Fair's doing, not Six Flags's...

Based off some of the logic I am seeing almost every park in this country is going under because "Ultra Mega Theme Park Parent Company did not build a record breaking ride every year at Not So Mega Local Park." Simply put with out having financial record of each park this subject has little substance. Even attendance numbers that are estimated based off what you saw on a non crowded day at a park are flawed. Some of the highest revenue days at South Texas parks, FECs, and other tourist venues are days that attendance reflects low during Holy Week, however most of those attending are from Mexico and are very wealthy. The spend high dollars on many things at each place.

SFNO was wrecked by a hurricane, but yes it was likely in a struggle as it was a leased park with revenue sharing schemes that made it hard to be profitable and had capital milestones. SFAW was actually performing decently well, but in a last ditch effort to save face was put up for sell on a false hope of banking huge dollars off the sale of the land in the proxy battle. SFKK was a similar issue to what would have happened with SFNO. They did not own the park out right.

Parks are very very complicated business. A seasoned guest would often have a hard time knowing how well one if performing. Heck, even one who works at one and has for years would have a hard time guessing. Unless you have the numbers it is hard to tell.

Now, I hate it as much as the next guy when a park is shut down and abandoned, and no longer operates. Some parks we've recently seen shut down were Camelot, Six Flags New Orleans, Six Flags AstroWorld, and of course, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, which is probably the one that most of us think of. This park was left by Six Flags, and had to be shut down. We saw Chang be sent to Great Adventure, and after that, the park remained dormant.

I had a kind of big response, but suffice to say - for SFNO and SFKK, neither were just straight up abandoned - both had circumstances that were not normal that left them in their dormant state. SFAW didn't stay dormant, they closed to sell the land.

I don't see any circumstances like these with any of the big companies / parks. The ones that are potentially in trouble, parks like Fun Spot in Indiana that closed a few years ago, close because their business model just simply isn't that good, and those are the parks that you really don't see many people caring about.

I went to Fun Spot. I really enjoyed it for what it was (other than the poor, poor tigers and lions). I wasn't surprised at all that it closed, because it was a risky, risky model. The big chains aren't taking those risks any more.

You posted a lot of the same thoughts I did at the same time I was posting

Parks are very very complicated business. A seasoned guest would often have a hard time knowing how well one if performing. Heck, even one who works at one and has for years would have a hard time guessing. Unless you have the numbers it is hard to tell.

Quoted for truth.

If a park is running even halfway right, a seasoned guest should have NO idea how well it is performing just by walking in and looking around. The last thing a park in trouble would want to do is look like they are in trouble because that doesn't exactly elicit great word of mouth to get more people to come in, which only goes to further hurt their business.

Unless you are in upper management, it's basically impossible to fully figure out how the park is doing. A large ride investment does not necessarily mean that the park is doing well, and no investment does not necessarily mean the park is doing poorly.

On the subject of a park failing because of lack of investment - consider Six Flags Ohio/WOA and Six Flags America - these parks received an absolutely massive plethora of attractions in the late 90s/early 2000s, and the buzz around said attractions dropped off quickly because they added so much in such a short time.

Have you ever wondered why Six Flags Ohio/WOA did not build any major attractions after X-Flight in 2001, or Six Flags America between 2001 and 2012?

This is an extremely complex topic and as others have mentioned, there is no way to tell without knowing all of the numbers. Some parks may be running very lean and not have any debt so they only have to meet normal operating expenses. It may not take much for them to make a profit each year. Other parks may be packed but they have a ton of debt and they are actually losing money due to their business model and the fact that they not only have to meet operating expenses but also monthly 'mortgage' payments with interest.

In simple terms, it's just like any business where it all comes down to management. If a park/business is managed properly and there is a demand for its product/service in that area, it is bound to succeed regardless of what is thrown at it (example - Knoebels continues to operate despite all the recurring flooding). If it is not managed properly, it will eventually fail.

^ not to mention that the park doesn't really have any stand out roller coasters.

Um...

Comet is the definition of a stand out rollercoaster. The problem is they have Comet, a waterpark and nothing else. That being said this has nothing to do with if the park is successful or not. The locals think Boomerang, Alpine Bobsled, Canyon Blaster and Sasquatch are amazing rides. I think at this point everyone kind of knows Steamin Demon sucks... but people love the other rides.

I'd say Michigan's Adventure. They only have one good coaster (Shivering Timbers), a lackluster collection of flat rides, and a very short operating season (Late May to weekend after Labor Day). This is by far Cedar Fair's most neglected park, and unless they give them something good soon, I don't see Michigan's Adventure going anywhere.

I really think Magic Springs will be the next to close down. There aren't any stand out rides(I don't think a standard SkyLoop is good enough) and their restaurants really pissed me off. Even though their water park is nice and their atmosphere is nice, I personally don't think it would live long unless they add a great new ride.

I'd say Michigan's Adventure. They only have one good coaster (Shivering Timbers), a lackluster collection of flat rides, and a very short operating season (Late May to weekend after Labor Day). This is by far Cedar Fair's most neglected park, and unless they give them something good soon, I don't see Michigan's Adventure going anywhere.

Keep in mind. MiA has no entertainment. Which means they don't have to pay for wardrobe, cast, music, lighting, etc. it also means they can't use new shows in advertising each year.

Even though MiA is part of a larger chain, it's not the size as even VF or WOF. So they don't need new attractions every year.

Lastly, the water park is a huge draw there.

Just sayin.