TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tulireki was so boring, I had to look it up to get any recollection of riding it. Basically it makes a wild mouse style ride more boring - a very mild mouse. Maybe kids love it, but not jaded credit whores that vote in Hawker's poll.

I think next year RMC will continue to have all it's coasters in the top ten, and the year after. The only doubt being around getting enough riders on the Mexican RMC who vote in the poll. I hear murmurs that Thorpe Park might get an RMC on the island, one can hope, and then I'll have a reason to return to the park.

Edited by downunder

I rode goudurix yesterday.. and it really wasn't that bad! It was my first time riding it so I guess the retracking last year made a difference. It was no rougher than other vekoma corkscrews etc like python and had quite a fun layout

Why was Favorite Zamperla Volare ranked last in this poll? I have not ridden one, so to someone that has ridden one: are they rough, or just completely forceless (I'm guessing forceless).

While I do think that they're horrible coasters, I'm surprised to see them ranked last. Personally I think X2, Green Lantern First Flight, Mind Eraser at SFA and Mind Eraser at SFNE are all worse rides... I know people enjoy X2 and Green Lantern but I thought the SLC would be universally hated more than the Volare flying coaster.

Perhaps the keyword with Volares and SLCs is "favorite"? I'm in total agreement that the worst Volare is better than the worst SLC, but maybe there were just enough people who got a decent ride on an SLC to surpass even the best Volare (using the term "best" loosely). Before Fly the Great Nor'Easter turned into a spine-punching sadist-coaster, I would have ranked it way above my favorite Volare, and maybe even a few other terrible or forgettable coasters. So that's my theory on why SLCs may have ranked higher; I too am surprised to see Volares dead last though.

Or maybe it was voted down by a bunch of Dean Martin haters.

I just don't care for Volares, but I still think Space Mountain at Paris Disney is worst of them all, mainly because it's an inexcusably bad ride for a Disney park.

Yay NTAG, Maverick and iRat! A little surprised to see X2 at 21; the bump from last year may be modest, but it's the best ranking it's had in years. I noticed plenty of other changes, mostly in the middle rankings, that looked significant enough to be interesting, but I suppose it could just be the different comparisons or voter opinions from year to year.

I'm relieved that iRat debuted in the top 10. I'd heard descriptions ranging from awesome and in some cases stronger than NTAG, to tamer than expected. I think I like it a bit more than NTAG.

Was I really the only one who voted Rainier Rush?

Strange considering it was closed for much of last year as well.

This is kind of random, hearing so much great reviews about Tornado at Bakken, I thought it could be ranked much higher than #195. Is that because people think it's too intense?

How about Saw-The Ride? Is it because of the Gerstlauer rattle? Excalibur at Valleyfair! Looks like a fun ride on the POV's, is it because of the roughness and the length? What happened to Drayton Manor's G-Force? I've heard a lot of negative review about that ride but no one explained why.

I think Ocean Park's Dragon deserves a higher place, I've never had a rough experience on it, always a smooth and fun little Arrow Looper with the world's first Sidewinder element.

^Drayton's G-Force is an uncomfortable ride experience, at best--but I last rode it in 2006. The restraints tend to tighten as you head up the curved lift. As for Tornado, it's definitely not for all tastes, but it is the most intense "mouse-like" coaster I've ever ridden. Excalibur is "interesting," and I don't recall it being all that rough. Dragon didn't impress me much, but I love its setting.

Edited by cfc

How about Saw-The Ride? Is it because of the Gerstlauer rattle? Excalibur at Valleyfair! Looks like a fun ride on the POV's, is it because of the roughness and the length? What happened to Drayton Manor's G-Force? I've heard a lot of negative review about that ride but no one explained why.

Saw has definitely gotten very rough in my opinion, so much so that I don't really care if I ride it again or not, the slow moving queue doesn't help matters also.

I personally don't mind G-Force, it's in no way an amazing coaster, but I like the restraints and the inverting lift hill, it provides some great hang time, the capacity is a serious issue though, as it only has one train and is a very short ride, so it's not worth the long queues it gets.

Excalibur at Valleyfair! Looks like a fun ride on the POV's, is it because of the roughness and the length?

I haven't ridden Excalibur for a few years, but it was always pretty rough. I've never really enjoyed that ride. It looks like it should be fun, but there's really nothing great about it. The last few times I've been to the park it hasn't been open, I think they close it during Halloween for some reason.

Count me in as another non-votin' jerkwad.

Although, to be fair, I didn't ride anything last year and the only new coaster I've ridden since 2010 is Verbolten.

As of now, I305 is my favorite steel and El Toro is my favorite overall. This year I'm looking forward to riding some new (to me) would-be challengers to my top 2 favorites like Goliath (SFGA), MF, Maverick, Skyrush, and possibly Outlaw Run.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...