TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

^That's the point of the poll, it takes into consideration people who have been on a lot of coasters so some people do have a bit more 'pull' in the poll.

The number is fifty, right? Fifty coasters to be considered an "experienced" rider?

I thought that that was the only difference between the weight of votes - those with under fifty, and those with more.

You are completely misinterpreting why and when well traveled riders have more input. Our votes are not counted more, but there are coaster comparisons that we can make that others can't because they haven't been on the same coasters.

Using iSpeed as an example, in head-to-head it lost to Eejanaika 4-3, if Elissa puts iSpeed higher than it is one less loss for iSpeed and increases iSpeed's winning percentage.

iSpeed tied Crystal Wings in head-to-head, if one of us ranked iSpeed higher, iSpeed winning percentage would be higher.

iSpeed lost to Dinoconda head-to-head by one vote

I think you see where I'm going now!

A well traveled riders votes are only "more valuable" when it comes to comparing coasters without a lot of mutual riders.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that makes more sense now. This is the kind of stuff that helps those new Chinese coasters like the Mega Lites and those new wooden coasters, right?

It just goes to show you how close the top steel coaster competition really is as well.

Nice, thanks!

I'm surprised to see certain rides so low:

- Magnum XL at #82

- Gatekeeper at #108

- Steel Force at #132

- Hydra at #172

- Batwing at #229

And Leviathan was voted better than MF? I don't know about that

I kind of think Steel Force should be lower, Hydra and Magnum are where they should be and Batwing and Gatekeeper should be higher. I never understood the hate for the Flying Dutchman coasters.

^^ I thought Steel Force was pretty fun. And I ranked Hydra higher than any other of those rides (except for batwing, which I haven't ridden). I found it to be rather good: smooth, interesting elements and, while not very forceful, provided a great ride.

Why are the Backlot stunt coasters not in the poll anymore?

They were grouped under one label, because they were all the same, so having 3-4 entries for an identical coaster was a non-sense.

I actually placed Firehawk quite high in my ballot, though I placed Nighthawk considerably lower. When I rode Firehawk, I tried different seats on different trains, and found the whole ride to be very smooth, actually smoother the most B&M's. In fact, the first time I rode, I came off actually shocked at how smooth it was, ask was expecting it to suck. I placed it above any S:UF clone in my poll.

However, the same cannot be said about Nighthawk. Most of the ride was ok, but the corkscrews were truly awful. Though the final twists are well executed on Firehawk, Nighthawk's ending was not a pleasant experience. Still, I did like the ride overall, and even the rough bits do not have much head banging, thanks to the actually good restraints.

So, I can see why people dislike Nighthawk, but I do not understand why Firehawk was so low. I may have caught it on a good day, but I tried riding it throughout the day in different seats of different trains to find where all the roughness was people were talking about, and I found the ride to be glass smooth every single time. It is easily better than a Superman clone, and , to me, should be ranked higher.

Edited by MrSum1_55

^I completely agree with this. I find Firehawk to be significantly better than the S:UF clones. Nighthawk, however, was just a painful experience. It really doesn't make any sense to me, just like the Togos at Canada's Wonderland and Kings Dominion. Canada's Wonderland's is rough but still enjoyable (with ejector air), while Kings Dominion's is just painful.

Why was Favorite Zamperla Volare ranked last in this poll? I have not ridden one, so to someone that has ridden one: are they rough, or just completely forceless (I'm guessing forceless).

^They're rough, uncomfortable, and pointless.

I just watched Robb's POVs of Soaring Eagle at Coney Island, so now I can see why you say that. They must really be bad if they're ranked below Goudurix.

The train on Volare's are incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. Also I'm a pretty thin guy, so I was literally floating in the train when there was an inversion, and falling on the metal cage was very painful.