TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

Mystery mine at #128? Am I the only one that thinks this ride is ridiculously underrated? It probably has the best theming of any coaster in the country outside of a Disney or Universal park (or at least it's up there), it has an awesome finale and it has a drop after the first lift that takes even experienced riders by surprise.

Is it just me? lol

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystery mine at #128? Am I the only one that thinks this ride is ridiculously underrated? It probably has the best theming of any coaster in the country outside of a Disney or Universal park (or at least it's up there), it has an awesome finale and it has a drop after the first lift that takes even experienced riders by surprise.

Is it just me? lol

I found Mystery Mine to be like a rough wild mouse on steroids. It was my least favorite of the big rides at Dollywood. I liked SFOG's Dare Devil Dive more.

Tenn. Tornado had me wondering what Arrow could have done if they had continued.

Thunderhead was very good, although it continues the GCI tradition of more curves than airtime.

I liked Mild Eagle - it was a lot of fun, spectacular views, although definitely tamed down for the Dollywood crowd (just like their S&S swing ride was run as short as possible). Smooth rides are my favorites, although I like ejector airtime, too.

I find it interesting that i305 was voted as the best giga coaster. The thing that separates it apart from the others is the intensity of those insane twisties. Stays low to the ground, and you black out. Not a very much airtime either. A little floater, and a little ejector. Maybe Six Flags should take a hint and start installing giga's! The 3 in the US made the top 15. That means good news for carowinds fans!

I also find it interesting, if not just strange. I305 is a great ride, but pretty overrated in my opinion (although to be fair, I think I rode it when the trim brakes were active on the first drop). I mean, it's whole point is ultimate speed and intensity, but you can accomplish the same sensation with a smaller lift hill and tighter turns. The drop was awesome, and I did enjoy its great snappy transitions, but it lacked airtime and big maneuvers to complement its impressive 305-foot height.

My unconventional view: I liked i305 more when it had the trim on the first drop than on the third hill (opening year vs. 2013). I don't like the grey-out effect in the first turn. The third hill had more airtime when it didn't have the trim and the first drop still was ejector even with the trim. I hope Intamin did some thinking about what didn't work with their design for the ride, it's great but it's teething problems might intimidate others from installing a similar ride.

It was my #1 favorite when I rode it the first time, but since then I've been on El Toro and like that more than 305.

After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).

Nice post dummy. Don't you have a thought in your head?

I kind of wonder what the poll would look like if I (and maybe Larry too) had actually voted!

I bet iSpeed would have stayed higher up and Gatekeeper would have been even lower!

Hell, I prefer Magnum to Gatekeeper.

I kind of wonder what the poll would look like if I (and maybe Larry too) had actually voted!

I bet iSpeed would have stayed higher up and Gatekeeper would have been even lower!

You must have missed my post. In between tweaking my math lessons last night I looked at the mutual ride comparisions and

I estimate that our omissions may have caused iSpeed's winning percentage to drop from around .9607 to .9457 possibly causing it to lose 5 or 6 spots.

^That's the point of the poll, it takes into consideration people who have been on a lot of coasters so some people do have a bit more 'pull' in the poll.

^^Sorry Larry, I did miss that! And we both get a kick in the butt from the Italians next time we're over at Mirabilandia!

I forgot to do mine this year!

Glad to see Maverick is finally getting the love it deserves. I've finally ridden a majority of the top 10 (6 soon to be 7).

I don't get the Intimidator 305 love. Of course, I might like it more if I didn't grey all the way out on it. To me that's just not a fun or pleasant experience.

Superman El Ultimo Escape at Six Flags Mexico once again didn't have enough riders to be included. It was only ranked by 9 riders, but most of them have big track records. There's a huge difference in how Superman was ranked:

#7 (out of 259)

#15 (out of 52)

#15 (out of ~200)

#23 (out of 111)

#64 (out of ~200)

#109 (out of 251)

#176 (out of 337)

And then two who used a grouping method:

#39, Grouped/tied with coasters such as Full Throttle, Goliath (SFOG), and Afterburn

#50, Grouped/tied with coasters such as Montu, Maverick, and Incredible Hulk

Personally I loved the coaster, but there seems to be a pretty wide range of opinions. I wonder where it would rank?

Every year seeing the result of MH make me realize how bad I need more TPR tours to get on more awesome coasters. 2014 will be a great year for steel coasters, can't wait to see where Helix, Medusa, Lightning Run, Banshee, Thunderbolt, Impulse, Sky Scream, Abyss, FCE, Alpina Blitz, Sky Scream, Arthur will end up at next year.

I personally think FOTR aka Parrot Coaster deserves somewhere around 60, the first half really is surprisingly forceful.

Superman El Ultimo Escape at Six Flags Mexico once again didn't have enough riders to be included. It was only ranked by 9 riders, but most of them have big track records. There's a huge difference in how Superman was ranked:

#7 (out of 259)

#15 (out of 52)

#15 (out of ~200)

#23 (out of 111)

#64 (out of ~200)

#109 (out of 251)

#176 (out of 337)

And then two who used a grouping method:

#39, Grouped/tied with coasters such as YOLOcoaster, Goliath (SFOG), and Afterburn

#50, Grouped/tied with coasters such as Montu, Maverick, and Incredible Hulk

Personally I loved the coaster, but there seems to be a pretty wide range of opinions. I wonder where it would rank?

Oh no! Another coaster that Larry and I screwed over as we both rode it and enjoyed it!

^That's the point of the poll, it takes into consideration people who have been on a lot of coasters so some people do have a bit more 'pull' in the poll.

The number is fifty, right? Fifty coasters to be considered an "experienced" rider?

I thought that that was the only difference between the weight of votes - those with under fifty, and those with more.

I have i305 as my #6 steel coaster behind Millennium Force (yeah I know), Maverick, Kumba, Raptor and Tatsu. I absolutely love it, but a few other steel coasters managed to top it (It's #8 overall, as El Toro and Phoenix are my overall #2 and #3).

^I dont get the love either. Its an undoubtedly great ride, but I dont see it as the 3rd best roller coaster. I dont know, maybe its just me. I get the hype, but not the "OMG BEST RIDE EVER" crazy hype.

I don't know, to me there isn't a better steel coaster that I have been on. It has everything...an amazing drop, insane speed, pacing, ejector airtime, crazy g-forces, insane transitions, and comfortable restraints. It literally has it all.

I think I value airtime more over laterals, and when I went (which I believe was when it had trim brakes...I wasn't really up to date with theme park info at the time lol) it was lacking in that department. I also think the OTSRs take away from the freedom of it, which is IMO the best part of such big low-to-the-ground swoops.

It's definitely a great coaster...I don't really do lists but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in my Top 10. But Top 3 seems high, and I see it on a lot of people's top spot. It's all a matter of opinion, too. Maybe I'm just weird

^I dont get the love either. Its an undoubtedly great ride, but I dont see it as the 3rd best roller coaster. I dont know, maybe its just me. I get the hype, but not the "OMG BEST RIDE EVER" crazy hype.

I don't know, to me there isn't a better steel coaster that I have been on. It has everything...an amazing drop, insane speed, pacing, ejector airtime, crazy g-forces, insane transitions, and comfortable restraints. It literally has it all.

I think I value airtime more over laterals, and when I went (which I believe was when it had trim brakes...I wasn't really up to date with theme park info at the time lol) it was lacking in that department. I also think the OTSRs take away from the freedom of it, which is IMO the best part of such big low-to-the-ground swoops.

It's definitely a great coaster...I don't really do lists but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in my Top 10. But Top 3 seems high, and I see it on a lot of people's top spot. It's all a matter of opinion, too. Maybe I'm just weird

I get what you are saying. I prefer airtime over the twisties as well, but I still put the ride in my top five. That first drop and the overall ride experience trumps the lack of overall airtime for me.