TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

Ohh, Gatekeeper's not THAT bad. I've had the punishment of experiencing Apocalypse at SFA about 10 times in the past 2 years, resulting in about 10 migraines.

I doubt that anyone would disagree that Gatekeeper is better that Apocalypse. But, overall, Gatekeeper isn't a great ride; CP's Maverick, Millennium Force, and Raptor are much better.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh, Gatekeeper's not THAT bad. I've had the punishment of experiencing Apocalypse at SFA about 10 times in the past 2 years, resulting in about 10 migraines.

I doubt that anyone would disagree that Gatekeeper is better that Apocalypse. But, overall, Gatekeeper isn't a great ride; CP's Maverick, Millennium Force, and Raptor are much better.

I agree, but he said that it was the shakiest and mist unbearable B&M he's been on. Unless he hasn't walked 100 feet towards Mantis, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

If it gave you a headache the first time and the second time and the third time, why did you continue riding it?

I agree, but he said that it was the shakiest and mist unbearable B&M he's been on. Unless he hasn't walked 100 feet towards Mantis, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I would also agree that it's better than Mantis; then again, most rides are.

Edited by cfc

After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).

Nice post dummy. Don't you have a thought in your head?

If it gave you a headache the first time and the second time and the third time, why did you continue riding it?

There's not a whole lot to do at SFA. I ride once or twice per visit because my friends think it looks like fun. But hey, it's better than nothing, and riding nothing is better than riding the nearby Mind Eraser.

I find it interesting that i305 was voted as the best giga coaster. The thing that separates it apart from the others is the intensity of those insane twisties. Stays low to the ground, and you black out. Not a very much airtime either. A little floater, and a little ejector. Maybe Six Flags should take a hint and start installing giga's! The 3 in the US made the top 15. That means good news for carowinds fans!

I also find it interesting, if not just strange. I305 is a great ride, but pretty overrated in my opinion (although to be fair, I think I rode it when the trim brakes were active on the first drop). I mean, it's whole point is ultimate speed and intensity, but you can accomplish the same sensation with a smaller lift hill and tighter turns. The drop was awesome, and I did enjoy its great snappy transitions, but it lacked airtime and big maneuvers to complement its impressive 305-foot height.

3 Mega-lites in the top 20! wow! Pay attention US parks! I'm talking to you! Go do some good and go over to intamin and install a bunch here in the united states!

I'm under the impression that the US isn't ignorant to the popularity of Mega-Lites...they're just too low-capacity to be attractive options to any of the major amusement parks who could probably afford them.

The trim made a massive difference. I first rode it with the first drop trimmed, it was pretty good. After the trims were placed back on their original spot, however, it's now my favorite steel tied with Skyrush. You really should give it another try.

^ just from reading reviews of Skyrush off this board and others, I have found it to be a very polarizing ride. Many who love it, rank it among the top if not their top. But for every person that claims it for top spot, I also find many who genuinely dislike the experience.

If Chimelong Paradise's Dive Coaster didn't get a retrack or some new trains, there's no way it can be at #43! That ride is unbearably rough, even worse than 10 Inversion Coaster. There must be some fan boys who rode at the middle seat of the front row on a very great day.

Has Walibi Holland's Goliath ever entered top 10? How is it compared to GeForce and Bizarro?

RMC is going to be a force for years to come!

Leviathan at #13 and Millennium Force at #14. I have not been on Leviathan yet and I am surprised it beat Mille per all the reviews offered last year by riders on this site. Any comments from people who have been on both of them? Just curious.

I personally like Millennium Force better, but I totally can see why others would prefer Leviathan more.

Wing coasters in general are hated by a lot of people here, not just American wing coasters.

What is the reason you say that, being from Australia I'm very interested

Also what is the actual ranking purpose of the poll, I gather it is the coaster that you have the most fun on? Not the coaster that made you scared the most?

Sorry for the newb q's - first time I've heard if this poll

Wing coasters, generally speaking, are considered essentially forceless and occasionally boring in comparison to some of the higher quality B&M's out there, or many inverted or sit down B&M's.

As for the rankings, at least from my understanding, ballots are based on the best coaster experience, and voters can interpret that how they like, depending on what they prefer in coasters (airtime, intensity, speed, etc)

Thanks Pass dude- personal choice makes sense.

Since coming back from Japan i'd have to say Fujiyama was my fav ride, but Eejanika was the scariest ride i think i've EVER been on.... much scarier than X2!

Weird that Raptor is the highest rated wing coaster - I found it pretty lame and thought it was a bit "bouncy". The only other wing coaster I've been on was Swarm, which I really liked. It felt much more intense and was noticeably smoother.

I really don't know what my opinion is on wing coasters at this stage, since I got two totally different experiences from two different ones. I'm unsurprised that they're all bunched near the #100 mark though, from the general opinion of them.

After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).

Couldn't disagree more, what did they let you on after the barrel roll and off before it dropped off the cliff? It hauls through thousands of feet of track in about 45 seconds. It gets my vote for favorite inversion and ending, the whole drop off the cliff-tight tunnel-twisting air slam into the brakes thing is excellent and the ride experience is just fun without being excessive in high positive g-forces or the least bit uncomfortable, neither of which I care for (can you guess my opinion of the old Taz's Tornado?). The ride is all about air, you get it upways, sideways, inverted; Robb said it best when he said he probably spent more time out of his seat than in it. I agree Superman is also good but then again so are most other large B&M coasters from that general period, my favorite being Montu its opening year.

Wish NTAG had been open when I was in Dallas this year, I really wanted to compare it to iRat. I find it hard to believe there is NO spot on NTAG that isn't paced similarly to the slowest part of iRat (the back-to-back overbanked turns, which still manage to get you out of your seat). Anyone who's been on both help me out here. If this truly is the case I expect some people are going to be disappointed by Medusa at SF Mexico, given its height and length its average speed is going to be slower than either Texas coaster (Medusa enthusiasts don't get worked up, I'm saying that firmly tongue-in-cheek, if it's anything like iRat it'll be tons of fun).

I also think iRat looks pretty slick, but as they say there's no accounting for taste.

All hail the Mavershark, it was absolutely sensational in ERT. Millennium Force was also a big mover for me from some sensational, bug splatting, ERT. Pretty much agree with the top 20, the ones I haven't ridden I think I would have rated highly. Though the exception I'm not sure about is whether I'd rate Leviathan so highly, but you ever know until you ride it.

Gatesleeper is quite mediocre IMO, just not very thrilling, especially considering it's size.

Good to see the victims of Volare violation speaking out at the rear end of the poll.

Edited by downunder

This list tells me that I need to travel more, only been on one in the top 10 (Superman SFNE before it became Bizarro), and a total of only 4 in the top 25.Funny thing though, my facorite is Storm Runner all the way down on 35th. But I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Its a good thing that I have Liseberg on my schedule for this year to ride Helix, because the first park on my list is to visit Tivoli Friheden to ride Cobra which is placed 348th in this years ballot.

Very nice to see some 35 years old Anton goodness holding their spots at top 100.

About the last coasters, seems like Hopkins loopers are getting a lot of haters. 322 for Desert Storm, 349 for Dragon and 350 for Patriot. Texas Tornado got 240 which is still pretty bad.

If there are enough voters, Mysterious Island's Screaming Squirrel could be the worst roller coaster in the world. I put it at my dead last this year.

I really think that the Intamin Mega Lites should be grouped together for next year's poll. I feel like keeping them separate is doing other equally-good coasters a disservice. Fly over Mediterranean and Kawasemi would have placed 7 and 8 respectively if Fly over Mediterranean would have been included.

Edited by A.J.