TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

I find it interesting that i305 was voted as the best giga coaster. The thing that separates it apart from the others is the intensity of those insane twisties. Stays low to the ground, and you black out. Not a very much airtime either. A little floater, and a little ejector. Maybe Six Flags should take a hint and start installing giga's! The 3 in the US made the top 15. That means good news for carowinds fans!

Also, where the heck are all those B&M hypers?! Apollo's? Diamondback? Intimidator? They always make it into the top 15! Now the best is nitro at 24. But still, thats crazy.

3 Mega-lites in the top 20! wow! Pay attention US parks! I'm talking to you! Go do some good and go over to intamin and install a bunch here in the united states!

Edited by CPSFMMCW

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iSpeed dropped a few spots while losing quite a few match-ups by only a vote. I'm a huge fan of iSpeed and unfortunately couldn't find the time to vote this year. I'll apologize to iSpeed in person next time I'm at the park.

Same.

I'm happy to see Gatekeeper at #108, it deserved it! It's by far the shakiest and most unpleasant B&M I've been on! Also love to see Maverick go up a little, that was #1 on my ballot.

I'm quite surprised however about the Volares beeing the worst above Goudurix! They really are awful, but I tough Goudurix would continue its dead last reign until its destruction!

Also, where the heck are all those B&M hypers?! Apollo's? Diamondback? Intimidator? They always make it into the top 15! Now the best is nitro at 24. But still, thats crazy.

Well, the highest ranked B&M is a hyper, but it's not in the us.

For me, and this may be an unpopular opinion, but I really think Bizarro at SFNE should be lower on the list. It's a great ride, don't get me wrong, but it surely doesn't trump Millennium Force or Shambhala. I even get more "giddy school-girl giggles" excitement out of Nitro. Who knows.

Interesting Fav Vekoma Boomerang still scores so low - but many have not yet ridden one with Vekoma's new trains featuring the vest-style OTSR which are a BIG improvement.

IMO a Boomerang is a Boomerang. Sure the new trains help but a "BIG improvement" is taking a nearly unrideable coaster like Texas Giant and transforming it.

New trains oh a Boomerang? Meh... Pretty much the same experience... But slightly more comfortable.

For me, and this may be an unpopular opinion, but I really think Bizarro at SFNE should be lower on the list. It's a great ride, don't get me wrong, but it surely doesn't trump Millennium Force or Shambhala. I even get more "giddy school-girl giggles" excitement out of Nitro. Who knows.

I disagree, Bizarro has the best of both worlds. Crazy airtime and Awesome G force. I think the layout is better than MF. I thought MF was great but lacking in airtime.

This poll is much better than golden ticket IMO.

I disagree, Bizarro has the best of both worlds. Crazy airtime and Awesome G force. I think the layout is better than MF. I thought MF was great but lacking in airtime.

This poll is much better than golden ticket IMO.

Fair point. Although the change from S:ROS to Bizarro has never sat right with me. If they were to change it back, then it would fair slightly better with me.

Yay NTAG, Maverick and iRat! A little surprised to see X2 at 21; the bump from last year may be modest, but it's the best ranking it's had in years. I noticed plenty of other changes, mostly in the middle rankings, that looked significant enough to be interesting, but I suppose it could just be the different comparisons or voter opinions from year to year.

I'm relieved that iRat debuted in the top 10. I'd heard descriptions ranging from awesome and in some cases stronger than NTAG, to tamer than expected. I think I like it a bit more than NTAG.

Was I really the only one who voted Rainier Rush?

I'm happy to see Gatekeeper at #108, it deserved it! It's by far the shakiest and most unpleasant B&M I've been on! Also love to see Maverick go up a little, that was #1 on my ballot.

I'm quite surprised however about the Volares beeing the worst above Goudurix! They really are awful, but I tough Goudurix would continue its dead last reign until its destruction!

Ohh, Gatekeeper's not THAT bad. I've had the punishment of experiencing Apocalypse at SFA about 10 times in the past 2 years, resulting in about 10 migraines.

Wing coasters in general are hated by a lot of people here, not just American wing coasters.

What is the reason you say that, being from Australia I'm very interested

Also what is the actual ranking purpose of the poll, I gather it is the coaster that you have the most fun on? Not the coaster that made you scared the most?

Sorry for the newb q's - first time I've heard if this poll

Wing coasters, generally speaking, are considered essentially forceless and occasionally boring in comparison to some of the higher quality B&M's out there, or many inverted or sit down B&M's.

As for the rankings, at least from my understanding, ballots are based on the best coaster experience, and voters can interpret that how they like, depending on what they prefer in coasters (airtime, intensity, speed, etc)

I apologize for the double post.

After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).

I'm kind of surprised at how high the three S&S 4D coasters, all of which were in the top 32.

A little sad to see how far down Xcelerator and Tatsu dropped down.

Also, does anybody else feel like there should be a category for "Fav. Intamin Megalite"? Piraten, Kawasemi, and (if it was included) Fly Over Mediterranean were all in the top 12.

After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).

^^You know, I haven't ridden IRat, or anything RMC for that matter, so I'd have to ride it myself and read some credible reviews, but I'm curious if some voters (not saying this is happening, just thinking out loud) will rank any RMC coaster higher than a theoretical exact copy of the same coaster by a different manufacturer. This may have been the case with some Schwarzkopf coasters in the past, as I've heard.

Again, not saying I dislike RMC (quite the opposite, I'd love to ride one someday) or that's this is what is happening, but outside if the terrain elements and first drop of IRat, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to it. Any of you who have ridden it, please let me know what you think of it.

iSpeed dropped a few spots while losing quite a few match-ups by only a vote. I'm a huge fan of iSpeed and unfortunately couldn't find the time to vote this year. I'll apologize to iSpeed in person next time I'm at the park.

Same.

I estimate that our omissions may have caused iSpeed's winning percentage to drop from around .9607 to .9457 possibly causing it to lose 5 or 6 spots.

outside if the terrain elements and first drop of IRat, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to it.

The first drop was let down hugely by the fact that the chain lift hill slows way down at the top. Even in the back row, it's not even the best airtime the ride has to offer (which for the record is the double up in the front seat). The zero-G roll is exceptional, I'll give it credit for that, and the quarry drop is the biggest highlight of the ride for most who've ridden it (including myself). But other than that, the overbanks are overdone, and the airtime is strong but WAY too sudden and brief to give you that kind of "stomach in your throat" feeling that the quarry drop and zero-g roll do so well regardless of the seat you're in. Plus the turnaround on top of the quarry wall is ugly as all hell and really slow compared to the rest of the ride. It's like a family coaster with decent airtime was cut in half and thrown in the middle of a REAL RMC ride. That's why I say it was poorly paced. It's still a good ride, don't get that mixed up with the term "overrated", but it's spot belongs more around 30 than 10.

I'm curious if some voters (not saying this is happening, just thinking out loud) will rank any RMC coaster higher than a theoretical exact copy of the same coaster by a different manufacturer. This may have been the case with some Schwarzkopf coasters in the past, as I've heard.

This actually brings up a really interesting point. I don't think that RMC has gotten to that point yet, but Schwarzkopf definitely has. For quick comparison (in a non theoretical way) look at the poll results for Fav Arrow Shuttle and Fav Schw Shuttle. The Schwarzkopf ones placed at 164 where the Arrow ones placed much, much lower at 301. Granted they aren't the same rides, but they have the same basic concept behind them (Launch through a straight track with a loop in it, stop, do it again backwards). I've ridden both, and while I can say I prefer the Schwarzkopf ones for the hangtime on the spires (the only one I've ridden is the Knott's one btw), they aren't that far apart in quality. Maybe the Revolution at Blackpool and the other weird Arrow ones still left lying around somewhere are bad enough to put it down that far, but honestly Sidewinder was the best coaster at Elitch Gardens.

I'm quite shocked with Lagoon's coasters. Besides the copies (which fell slightly as well,) both Wicked and Fire Dragon fell almost 50 spots from last year! I find many times Lagoon to be a hidden little gem in the amusement industry.

I think this list is very accurate! I always laugh when I see Millennium Force is not #1 on this list I'm also surprised SkyRush gut as high as it did with the numerous complaints it has received.

I find it interesting that i305 was voted as the best giga coaster. The thing that separates it apart from the others is the intensity of those insane twisties. Stays low to the ground, and you black out. Not a very much airtime either. A little floater, and a little ejector. Maybe Six Flags should take a hint and start installing giga's! The 3 in the US made the top 15. That means good news for carowinds fans!

I also find it interesting, if not just strange. I305 is a great ride, but pretty overrated in my opinion (although to be fair, I think I rode it when the trim brakes were active on the first drop). I mean, it's whole point is ultimate speed and intensity, but you can accomplish the same sensation with a smaller lift hill and tighter turns. The drop was awesome, and I did enjoy its great snappy transitions, but it lacked airtime and big maneuvers to complement its impressive 305-foot height.

3 Mega-lites in the top 20! wow! Pay attention US parks! I'm talking to you! Go do some good and go over to intamin and install a bunch here in the united states!

I'm under the impression that the US isn't ignorant to the popularity of Mega-Lites...they're just too low-capacity to be attractive options to any of the major amusement parks who could probably afford them.